Bono's Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uuu222

The Fly
I've read that Bono has been having some vocal problems. Is this something to worry about or do you think he has a cold, or something like that?

Just wondering. I saw them in Denver back in April and will see them in Dallas in four weeks...I hope Bono's vocal problem is just minor.

I think he's sounding amazing at the moment. I don't know what vocal problems people are talking about ... I mean, geez, listen t that Miss Sarajevo vocal, it's incredible.

Yes, his voice is superb at the moment. Where have you read this? Are you sure these weren't remarks from the last tour?:wink:

Seriously, he sounds great.

i dont know why all these television commercials get all excited about "hot, savory" or "pan-roasted" au jou, i dont think it tastes that good

bonos voice sounds good though

lower register. He hasn't had it a good while, so I wouldnt worry about it.

listen to the first performace of Miss Sarajevo from the Vertigo tour. He is blissful on the operatic high parts and breaking up on the lower parts.

For many people, maybe they don't care or don't notice, good for them. But it's quite obvious.

I say whatever, it's not a big deal if you are into it.
I got over his voice diminishing a long time ago.

I'm sure he'll be fine for your show. When you factor in years of smoking and drinking, anyone's voice would be different than it was years ago. :)

He has problems on occasion, but nothing to be concerned about.

I agree, his voice is completely superb right now..it was last night

That Miss Sarajevo was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. It gave me chills, highlight of the show for me w/ out a doubt.

U2DMfan said:

listen to the first performace of Miss Sarajevo from the Vertigo tour. He is blissful on the operatic high parts and breaking up on the lower parts.

For many people, maybe they don't care or don't notice, good for them. But it's quite obvious.

Check out MS from one of the various DVDs on U2torrents from Chicago. He absolutely nails the lower register parts. In fact, when I first saw the DVD (I was at the show, but it's hard to analyze things when you're actually there), I was astounded by how good he sang the lower parts. I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with his voice at the moment :)

the only thing wrong with his voice is he cant do falsetto anymore

Chizip said:
the only thing wrong with his voice is he cant do falsetto anymore

That is not entirely true this time around. I was at the Garden last night and Bono sounded absolutely amazing. He hit the low notes as someone pointed out extremely strong but what was so unbelievable was how he hit the high notes last night. I would say that he is sounding more and more like the ZOOTV Bono again.

What high notes did he hit? They've taken out the falsetto parts of both Miss Sarajevo and The First Time. I may be wrong but does he sing falsetto for any songs in the set?

U2DMfan said:

Hmmm... I haven't noticed any problems with the lower register at all.

At last night's show, people were STUNNED at how brilliant Bono sounded during "Miss Sarajevo". Some truly gasped! I'm not exaggerating! So I don't think there is any problem with his voice. Those that say there is will say that all the time. I can just as easily pick out concerts from "War", JT, ZOO and Elevation where his voice cracked, suffered, broke, strained, etc. My point is that Bono is a good singer - perhaps one of the best in rock music (I can think of only a scant handful of artists - like Freddie Mercury and Roy Orbison) who had better voices in the rock arena - but he is not a great singer. So he will struggle at times.

Chizip said:
What high notes did he hit? They've taken out the falsetto parts of both Miss Sarajevo and The First Time. I may be wrong but does he sing falsetto for any songs in the set?

How about the 'Woohoos' of Elevation at the start before it kicks in and BTBS at the chorus? I agree that his falsetto isn't as strong as the glory days of Lemon, but he still pulls it off pretty well I think.

I was in the ellipse last night, and Bono's voice was amazing, except for during Crumbs.
It was not amazing during Crumbs because the part where he sings "and you speak..." was clearly pre-recorded, and Bono was singing the previous lyrics when the "and you speak" part came in. I was hearing Bono but not seeing the lips moving.
Now, on the studio version of Crumbs it would be impossible for Bono to sing both these parts roughly at the same time anyway, so I understand the use of a backing vocal track. I am in no way accusing Bono of an "ashlee" moment, but I know what I saw standing ten feet away from him. (And to his credit he apologized for his Crumbs performance.)
But to reiterate, his voice on every other song was simply amazing, and I had goosebumps during Miss Sarajevo.

Chizip said:

He hit the high notes great on MS and SYCMIOYO. It truly was something special to hear but I understand what you're saying about the old Falsetto from Lemon and stuff like that - that's gone for good.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I was in the ellipse last night, and Bono's voice was amazing, except for during Crumbs.
It was not amazing during Crumbs because the part where he sings "and you speak..." was clearly pre-recorded, and Bono was singing the previous lyrics when the "and you speak" part came in. I was hearing Bono but not seeing the lips moving.
Now, on the studio version of Crumbs it would be impossible for Bono to sing both these parts roughly at the same time anyway, so I understand the use of a backing vocal track. I am in no way accusing Bono of an "ashlee" moment, but I know what I saw standing ten feet away from him. (And to his credit he apologized for his Crumbs performance.)
But to reiterate, his voice on every other song was simply amazing, and I had goosebumps during Miss Sarajevo.

I'm happy to hear some one else picked up on this last night. I don't think it was a Bono error though, it was Edge's fault he missed a que to set that backing vocal up and by the time he hit the pedal to activate that the rest of the band was way ahead of him. Did you see the way both Adam and Bono look over to Edge right after that happened? It seemed to me that Edge kinda got lost in the moment of the song and by the time he figured out what happened it was too late.:wink:

It was def. not Edge singing that part, but you are right YBORCITY, they both looked over to Edge and it took him a few seconds to realize what happened.
Then after the song Adam kept laughing as Bono apologized. In order to make that song sound how it does on the album, there really has to be a backing track or additional singer.

gabrielvox said:
Are you sure Edge wasnt singing that part?

No because Edge wasn't even near his mic stand. I noticed that when Dallas switch out guitars after the song he and Edge were screwing around with his pedals(?) Sorry, but to all of you guitar officianados, what do you call that "Box" that Edge is always hitting with his feet? I know I'm such a :nerd:

inmyplace13 said:
i dont know why all these television commercials get all excited about "hot, savory" or "pan-roasted" au jou, i dont think it tastes that good

bonos voice sounds good though

Bono's voice is hot and savory!!!:wink:

i was in the ellipse too and actually saw someone burst into tears during miss sarajevo...it was THAT good. myself, i was blown away by it as i had no idea he had such an opratic range.

Back
Top Bottom