Bono's Lip Synching at concerts (Edge too)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chocky

Refugee
On another (non-U2) website there was much talk about U2 lip synching at their Boston shows.

Several forum members (casual U2 fans) allege Bono lip synched Crumbs and partially lip synched at least 3 other songs. And they claim he was busted - big time!! Especially at the end of Crumbs. :shame:

They also claim Edge lip synched the backing vocals on a number of tracks - and pretended to be singing when Bono was clearly not in time with his pre-recorded lead vocals.

Can anyone verify these claims or comment on how much lip synching actually goes on at U2 concerts this tour.

I haven't seen U2 live since '97 (being an Aussie) but I've seen footage that suggests some songs have been played to backing tracks for both instruments and vocals - such as Beautiful Day (which had/has both).

And I've often suspected the Spanish call-out vocals in Vertigo were not really sung live by Edge (on the many TV performances).

I'd love to hear first-hand comments.

Last edited:
B was definitely lipsynching during Walk On Sept. 20 at Chicago

:lol:

My short answer is no... been very close lots of times, and have not noticed any of this...

Miroslava said:
B was definitely lipsynching during Walk On Sept. 20 at Chicago

My short answer is no... been very close lots of times, and have not noticed any of this...

way too many improvisations to be lip-synching

As far as I know only Edge's BD vocals are pre-recorded, maybe some of the woohoos on Elevation too. I don't know why Bono would lip-synch to Crumbs, he pulled it off very well on the first time he did it. MAYBE at the end for the harmony part between Edge and Bono for Crumbs was pre-recorded but I don't know. Bono's voice seems to be in great form, I don't know why he would lip-synch.

I think at San Diego , looking back on the DVD from San Diego II (and I was there too) Edge wanst live on the spanish call outs ...but thats about, maybe the backing on beautiful day too....(look at the boston dvd)

There are a few backing vocal tracks, but the main vocals are always live. There are also very, very few backing vocal tracks. Let's not start this silly topic again. Someone should really lock this :)

Even if it's true, which it's not, I don't care.

Does that make sense to you?

Stop being a debbie downer or bob bummer.

Miroslava said:
I reaaaaaally wanna, but I guess we'll let it go :sigh:

:)

As I'm sure you'd tell everyone, the last thing Bono's lips are doing is synching. You had them too busy doing other things ;)

I can't believe I've not yet posted about this...

On 9/21 in the Chi, I had seats immediately behind the stage (very close, too), so I could see a good deal of what was what...I can't tell you how hard it was NOT to read the teleprompter and maintain at least some surprise about the setlist.

Three things, though, were DEEPLY and profoundly disturbing:

1) The same "extra" guitar part that Daniel Lanois supposedly played in Toronto during "Bad" was recreated on 9/21. This despite the fact that only Edge was playing guitar.

2) Edge "forgot" to sing vocals during several songs which, on the PA, featured his voice. I'm thinking particularly of "Vertigo," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," and "City of Blinding Lights." Now, I must warn you that it's been a few weeks, now, and that my memory may be slightly off. I hope not to be flamed, for even if I've accidentally added a song, the basic fact remains true. I was watching intently.

3) This one was uncool. When "With or Without You" started, Larry did not. For about fifteen seconds, I'd say, he was not playing the drums. But the drums could be heard. He suddenly picked up his sticks, stumbled a bit, and started playing. Now, as far as logistics go, I have no idea how this worked out and didn't descend into chaos (I mean, you can't PRETEND to play the drums), but it DID happen. I was really fucking pissed...

Anybody have any insight into any of this? Am I reading into shit too much? Am I perhaps just noticing things that during my previous five shows (I was farther away--quite a bit so, at times) that were always there? I don't watch the dumbass screens, so it's hard to say for sure. Fill me in, if possible. I'd love to be proven wrong...though it'll be pretty tough for me to convince myself what I saw with my own eyes was wrong... :(

Oh, yeah...

Gorman and others are right about Bono...with as much fucking up of the lyrics that he does, there's no way any lipping is going on. They'd need to have recorded a new performance prior to, like, every night's show...and what would the point in that be...?

If you shout... said:
3) This one was uncool. When "With or Without You" started, Larry did not. For about fifteen seconds, I'd say, he was not playing the drums. But the drums could be heard. He suddenly picked up his sticks, stumbled a bit, and started playing. Now, as far as logistics go, I have no idea how this worked out and didn't descend into chaos (I mean, you can't PRETEND to play the drums), but it DID happen. I was really fucking pissed...
That's how With or Without You starts, with a drum machine first, then Larry comes in. Just like it's on the JT record and that's how they've been doing since they fist started playing it. :|

1. In Toronto, Edge found himself away from the mic before one of his backing parts, and it began without him...he made it back before it ended. I think this was Beautiful Day. Big Deal.

2. The drums beginning of WOWY has been prerecorded since day fucking one. Its a LOOP, yo. Larry's not fumbling and of course it works out, cause he's waiting for the right time to come in.

Over and out.

gabrielvox said:
1. In Toronto, Edge found himself away from the mic before one of his backing parts, and it began without him...he made it back before it ended. I think this was Beautiful Day. Big Deal.

2. The drums beginning of WOWY has been prerecorded since day fucking one. Its a LOOP, yo. Larry's not fumbling and of course it works out, cause he's waiting for the right time to come in.

Over and out.

Fair enough. Truth be told, though, I could swear (and this goes back YEARS, so I totally cede to your authority--I do believe you) that during Elevation on the 3rd leg I saw the dude play the shit from start to stop. But, yeah...that was a LONG time ago, now.

I'm glad that I'm that much wiser, in the long run. :wink:

gorman said:

As I'm sure you'd tell everyone, the last thing Bono's lips are doing is synching. You had them too busy doing other things ;)

You were there, nothing that would make Ali want to bitch slap me happened :wink:

As far as this tired old topic, I dont know. I am not an expert, but I know when someone right in front of me is singing. As for the audio loops, everybody does it, I don't quite see the big deal... It is clear that the overwhelming majority of the show is LIVE, LIVE, LIVE :wink:

If you shout, the thing with larry is very obvious on boots, thanks for pointing it out i never noticed, they just want the distinct snare sound from the album during the intro, just personal preference by the band

Interesting about the drums on WOWY. What's the reason for having them prerecorded at the beginning?

gorman said:
Let's not start this silly topic again. Someone should really lock this

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's a silly question.

I'm asking for a number of reasons. Firstly, curiosity. Secondly, so I know what to expect when I get the DVD. Thirdly, so I can defend the band (if untrue) on another forum. Lastly, if Bono is lip synching whole songs like Crumbs (as alleged) then it raises a number of issues (including their credibility amongst peers, and concerns about their setlist selection).

Personally I was devastated when I first saw Bono sing along to taped music on TV (Beautiful Day on top of Clarence Hotel & recent TOTP performances). And if this practice has found it's way to $100+ concerts I'd be mortified. If I want to hear the CD I'll stay at home and save my money!

Furthermore, if the complexity of some songs forces them into using backing tapes, then clearly the spontaneity of the concert (a big drawcard for U2 fans I'm guessing) is impacted.

Bono SUCKS at lipsynching... SUCKS... :lol:

He has gotten better since they did Fire at TOTP, but not much :lmao:

chocky said:

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's a silly question.

I'm asking for a number of reasons. Firstly, curiosity. Secondly, so I know what to expect when I get the DVD. Thirdly, so I can defend the band (if untrue) on another forum. Lastly, if Bono is lip synching whole songs like Crumbs (as alleged) then it raises a number of issues (including their credibility amongst peers, and concerns about their setlist selection).

Personally I was devastated when I first saw Bono sing along to taped music on TV (Beautiful Day on top of Clarence Hotel & recent TOTP performances). And if this practice has found it's way to $100+ concerts I'd be mortified. If I want to hear the CD I'll stay at home and save my money!

Furthermore, if the complexity of some songs forces them into using backing tapes, then clearly the spontaneity of the concert (a big drawcard for U2 fans I'm guessing) is impacted.

I say that not because you're not entitled to your thoughts and opinions, but because this topic has been brought up like a hundred times. If you want to hear both sides, search for the subject. There are many, many threads :)

Truth be told, there are some backing tracks and loops, but nothing that _really_ matters. All of the main pieces of the song are entirely live, especially Bono's lead vocals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom