Bono's Lip Synching at concerts (Edge too)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MTEdge said:

Virtually all of The Edge's secondary vocals are supported by backing tracks. (A great example is the "days" in the Beautiful Day chorus.) At times, The Edge also sings over the backing tracks.

We just hope they work harder to not make it that obvious!! :wink:

MTEdge said:

It actually has always been that obvious!! ;)

It's not the obvious stuff that bothers me.

Was that big "Wide Awake" chorus I heard on 6/3/01 real? or could I have stayed home, listened to a tape and saved $55.

MrBrau1 said:

It's not the obvious stuff that bothers me.

Was that big "Wide Awake" chorus I heard on 6/3/01 real? or could I have stayed home, listened to a tape and saved $55.

We're talking about The Edge's backing vocals... not Bono's lead vocals.

Well, judging from your video of 10/7, they've dropped the backing tape on Crumbs, cause he doesn't hit the 3rd chorus, and it's obvious.

Who'd of thought I'd be wanting to hear a off note from Bono.

victor_f said:
I don't think everything besides BD was too obvious.

BD's "Day"
Vertigo's "Oh-oo-oh-oo-oh's" "Hola's" and "Donde Esta's"
Lemon's "Midnight is where the day begins"
Gone's "Don't's" (am pretty sure of this one)
Mofo's "lil mofo's" (in addition to the one Mr. Brau pointed out before)

Am sure there are others...

The Edge sings over the backing tracks. The backing tracks are there to provide depth and color to his live voice.

MTEdge said:

BD's "Day"

The Edge sings over the backing tracks. The backing tracks are there to provide depth and color to his live voice.

I wonder how he triggers them.

A footswitch?

Or a guy at the soundboard hitting a button?

MTEdge said:

BD's "Day"

I should add that everything in Streets, Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Sometimes, SBS, NYD, and many many other songs are clean The Edge live vocals.

MrBrau1 said:

I wonder how he triggers them.

A footswitch?

Or a guy at the soundboard hitting a button?

My guess is that the backing tracks are N'SYNC (sorry couldn't resist!) with the click track that runs with every U2 song. Because The Edge uses delay, every band member has an ear piece that acts as a metronome to keep the band members in place.

I think the backing tracks are always on. They are shut off when the band misses a beat. A great example of this is the MSG 10/7 performance of One (the backing synths were largely turned off because of an earlier virtually imperceptible error by The Edge ).

Last edited:
Re: Re: Bono's Lip Synching at concerts (Edge too)

doctorwho said:

For example, do you really think Edge has the ability to sound like a chorus of boys/men in the backing lyrics of "Beautiful Day"?

I...yes.

Can't all robots do that??

MTEdge said:

My guess is that they synched to the click track that runs with every U2 song. Because The Edge uses delay, every band member has an ear piece that acts as a metronome to keep the band members in place.

I think the backing tracks are always on. They are shut off when the band misses a beat. A great example of this is the MSG 10/7 performance of One (the backing synths were largely turned off because of an earlier virtually imperceptible error by The Edge ).

You're video of 10/11 is w/o backing track as well. He kinda shortens and extends a few of those chorus notes. That, or they turned the backing track way down.

Also, what's up with the dude dancing in that vid with the 2 middle fingers waving. He's totally into the show, and flicking them off at the same time.

As far a triggering the backing tracks, having them set from the start of the song is possible, but as you said, 1 slip of a beat and everything is off.
This means U2 would have to play perfect time, all the time. I'd always guessed Edge triggerd them with a foot switch.

So, U2 playing with backing tracks actually makes them better, cause there's no margin for error.

MrBrau1 said:

You're video of 10/11 is w/o backing track as well. He kinda shortens and extends a few of those chorus notes. That, or they turned the backing track way down.

Also, what's up with the dude dancing in that vid with the 2 middle fingers waving. He's totally into the show, and flicking them off at the same time.

As far a triggering the backing tracks, having them set from the start of the song is possible, but as you said, 1 slip of a beat and everything is off.
This means U2 would have to play perfect time, all the time. I'd always guessed Edge triggerd them with a foot switch.

So, U2 playing with backing tracks actually makes them better, cause there's no margin for error.

God knows what was up with the guy with the middle fingers!

Otherwise, your point about there being no margin for error is spot on. It is exactly why U2 rehearses songs millions of times before performing them.

Playing with backing tracks imposes amazing demands on the band. Almost always they are in key, and in time. U2 may not be the best musicians, but they certainly work hard at being the best musicians they can be.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono's Lip Synching at concerts (Edge too)

MTEdge said:

He may be from the future, but he's no robot! :wink:

the edge is totally a robot. only a robot could do the "been around the front, been around the back" stuff in Mofo. :wink:

if bono was lip synching he wouldn't forget the lyrics.

JOFO said:
if bono was lip synching he wouldn't forget the lyrics.

I don't disagree with you. But I do note that there's a difference between lipsynching like Ashley/Milli Vanilli and the limited live voice enhancements employed by The Edge/Bono. The former is miming in totality, the latter is supplementing and augmenting in small degrees.

bullshit. milli vanilli never even sang on the damn records! it wasnt even their voices! ashlee, whether she uses backing tracks or not, its her OWN voice.

and who the fuck cares if U2 does it for a couple of lines or a high pitch or something? AT LEAST ITS REALLY THEIR DAMN VOICES AND NOT DOING THAT FOR A WHOLE SHOW.

and, i am not an ashlee simpson fan, but this whole treatment people are giving her, negative ones, i might add.. makes me sick. give the girl a break.

i have been to U2 shows and never noticed any of that bullshit happening. and yes, he uses a teleprompter, and that again is proof he doesnt do full-blown lip-synching. and, for the record.. i dont think he ever really even used the teleprompter at my shows. if he did, it was probably to make sure he was on the right track or one of the speeches bits.

people make it sound like he uses it for the whole damn songs. hardly.

i still think its kinda sad that Bono needs the lyrics of Walk On taped to the tip of the ellipse. I mean it's a song they played at every freaking show during the last tour. How long could it take to relearn the lyrics, an hour tops? You're telling me Bono doesn't have an hour he could spend to memorize the lyrics to a song instead of having to tape them to the ellipse at every show? Come on now Bano, you're better than that.

If you listen to an earpiece bootleg you can hear the electric metronome and the 1 2 3 4 which cues them when to start. Does that count as cheating as well?

Back
Top Bottom