Bono's Back Slowing Him Down ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoo99

Acrobat
I've got to believe that Bono's back is severely bothering him. He seems a bit more restrained, I mean why bother have the ellipse and not maximize its purpose like they did during the Elevation tour? I think this is only because of bono's back acting up, and to compensate they have Adam doing ellipse duty. If I'm right I hope it heals soon as I know how painful back problems can get, also I miss the running around like a mad man during streets and the fly , not to mention the nightly leap into the crowd.

lemon_vr6 said:
where does this bullshit come from?

Are you kidding me ? you've never heard that he's had problems with his back ? you don't think this would effect ones ability to be more "active" on stage for two hours straight at an extremely high pace, almost every other night for a year. Man some people can't even play soccer or hockey once a week because it f 's up their back too much.

why is everyone becoming completely psychotic around here?

no offense zoo99, but it seems that everyone is coming up with bogus ideas, excuses, etc. for the band.

there is no problem with this tour!

speaking of bono's trips around the ellipse, keep in mind that U2 is not doing the acoustic sets that everyone wanted to get rid of. that right there will make it seem like Bono is walking around less.

mikal said:
why is everyone becoming completely psychotic around here?

no offense zoo99, but it seems that everyone is coming up with bogus ideas, excuses, etc. for the band.

there is no problem with this tour!

I never said there was a problem with the tour, in fact this tour is their second best ever so far in my opinion and depending what goes down in Europe and the second N.A. leg I might even rank it at the top, come on I'm just tying to think of a reason that after 25 years Adam decides to move outside the ten foot area that he normally sticks to. So its not an excuse for the band or Bono because they sound great and there's no need for an excuse when your on top of your game but its not a bogus idea that the guy has trouble with his back which may make him less mobile.

zoo99 said:

I never said there was a problem with the tour, in fact this tour is their second best ever so far in my opinion and depending what goes down in Europe and the second N.A. leg I might even rank it at the top, come on I'm just tying to think of a reason that after 25 years Adam decides to move outside the ten foot area that he normally sticks to. So its not an excuse for the band or Bono because they sound great and there's no need for an excuse when your on top of your game but its not a bogus idea that the guy has trouble with his back which may make him less mobile.

sorry, didn't mean to go off. it just sucks coming back from a show so amazing and seeing so many negative threads here.

mikal said:

sorry, didn't mean to go off. it just sucks coming back from a show so amazing and seeing so many negative threads here.

Likewise. I saw the first 10 shows of this tour and find it hard to believe that people that haven't seen any shows are so negative. He's crawling around on the stage like a cat, jumping up and down, dancing around, what more do you want? They seem more excited to be on stage that I've ever seen before. Give it a rest.

mikal said:

no need to aplogize the negative crap bugs me to, I didn't mean it to come across as complaining just a thought. also remeber if U2 wasn't at the top right now there wouldn't be all the negative crap out there, Being this good after this long brings out some serious jealousy.

lemon_vr6 said:

Likewise. I saw the first 10 shows of this tour and find it hard to believe that people that haven't seen any shows are so negative. He's crawling around on the stage like a cat, jumping up and down, dancing around, what more do you want? They seem more excited to be on stage that I've ever seen before. Give it a rest.

2a8b2a7e.jpg

11a19bdf.jpg

9eaecb9d.jpg

this is not a post against zoo99, I just like posting pictures :)

I agree that Adam is moving out more than he used to. I don't know why, but isn't it great that he is? :)

Last edited:
i love that pic ^! ive seen 2 vertigo shows and im not supporting the "bono being restrained" theory but i did hear somewhere, must have been here, that he was having some kinda back trouble. but im not bono's doctor ( :drool: i wish ) whatev. i thought the show was amazing so... i dont know what my point is

I agree that Adam is moving out more than he used to. I don't know why, but isn't it great that he is?

Yes, it is. I noticed at Den 2.

He probably got around to reading all of those posts about the fact that people blaze pot at U2 shows.

Suddenly Adam realized, "they do, wow" and off he went to blaze up with a fan right before every show -- this explains his extra smiling and romping about the ellipse nowdays.

I was 1st row outside the ellipse on may 7th in Chicago and he hardly left the main satge. Adam played in front of me more than Bono. Something's wrong with Bono you could tell. He had a week off and still looked tired, off que, and sounded out of tune, or forgot the lyrics for half the show. If anything Adam was more of a front man than Bono that night. At least he looked like he was having a good time and was interacting with the crowd and having fun. Bono barely wanted to be there from what I could see, he was more interested in promoting the ONE campaign than getting the crowd going. As far as Bono go's it was a very poor concert, but Adam really made up for it by picking up the slack. Did anyone read the reviews in the papers about the show. Every review was not very good. I hate to agree but after what I saw it's hard not to. I still love'em but they really dissapointed me on saturday. I just pray that they sort it out before Toronto in september.

Don't flame me, but I understand where this thread is coming from. I have been going to U2 shows for 18 years and this is the least mobile and interactive Bono has been. I don't know if he is injured, doesn't care as much or is more focused on the band than the fans. Bono just appears subdued. This is not to say U2 is not the greatest live act out there today, but Bono has dropped off from his previous standard.

I'm under the impression, at least from Bono, that Adam's walkabouts were not planned, he just kinda went for it, liked the response, did it again the next night. Unless Bono is just fooling around, even he seems surprised by it.

I was reading reviews from the shows prior to the two L.A. shows I went to, and he only did the walkabout during "Streets," so I was kinda waiting to see if he would do it for LA 1...yup he walked the ellipse during "Streets."

On LA 2, (could've been the crowd), went crazy during "New Year's Day" and off he went. That was a surprise, I thought maybe it was something he would do during "Streets" so perhaps it was planned, but when he did it, early in the set during "New year's Day" I figured, gotta be Adam's own doing.

Adam's not quite up to the level of movement compared to say...Red rocks, but much more than the past 3 tours.

Adam looks like he is having a ball out there on the Ellipse. Saturday night he was grinning from ear to ear every time. I thought Bono was out there quite a bit and have not noticed that he seems restrained other than he's not running laps like he was during Elevation. I was just chalking it up to the fact that he's (as of today) in his mid-forties. I can't imagine how physically hard it must be to get up and do it every night, even if you feel great.

it's an interesting theory... makes a whell of a lot more sense than the 10 million fucking uno dos tres catorce theory threads that no one flames... but i digress.

people with back issues can feel great one night and feel like shit the next... and it was rumored that bono has a back problem, and there's also been varied reports on his ellipse use, depending on the show... some shows he's all over the place, some shows he's alot more reserved, staying on the main stage more often than not. so it's possiable... at the very least it's something to think about.

From someone who has a herniated disc, i can tell you that one day you can feel great, and another day it hurts to move.

all the specuation about this makes me laugh.

govikesU2 said:
I was 1st row outside the ellipse on may 7th in Chicago and he hardly left the main satge. Adam played in front of me more than Bono. Something's wrong with Bono you could tell. He had a week off and still looked tired, off que, and sounded out of tune, or forgot the lyrics for half the show. If anything Adam was more of a front man than Bono that night. At least he looked like he was having a good time and was interacting with the crowd and having fun. Bono barely wanted to be there from what I could see, he was more interested in promoting the ONE campaign than getting the crowd going. As far as Bono go's it was a very poor concert, but Adam really made up for it by picking up the slack.

Did we see the same May 7 show? :eyebrow: It kicked ass to me, and I had to sit behind the stage.

govikesU2 said:
I was 1st row outside the ellipse on may 7th in Chicago and he hardly left the main satge. Adam played in front of me more than Bono. Something's wrong with Bono you could tell. He had a week off and still looked tired, off que, and sounded out of tune, or forgot the lyrics for half the show.

I guess you must have been at the other United Center, across town, seeing the other U2.

I was at the show on the 7th as well. Bono was on the catwalk frequently. He did not forget the lyrics "for half the show" -- he forgot one line in An Cat Dubh and one line in The Fly. I don't know what show you saw, but the one I was at was fantastic.

I just got back from seeing the boys last night (May 9th) and there was NOTHING wrong with Bono. The show was top notch and I would have paid double the top price for it.

I have had two herniated discs this past year and two surgeries and not only do you have to deal with limitations of a bad back but the pain killers you need just to make it through, have an effect too. They affect your motor skills and memory. (Lack of movement, not remembering lyrics) The guy still comes to play, entertain and educate (ONE campaign) and is the greatest frontman in history. He did seem a bit limited compared to other tours but the show was still absolutely unbelievable!

PghFan50 said:
I just got back from seeing the boys last night (May 9th) and there was NOTHING wrong with Bono. The show was top notch and I would have paid double the top price for it.

I have had two herniated discs this past year and two surgeries and not only do you have to deal with limitations of a bad back but the pain killers you need just to make it through, have an effect too. They affect your motor skills and memory. (Lack of movement, not remembering lyrics) The guy still comes to play, entertain and educate (ONE campaign) and is the greatest frontman in history. He did seem a bit limited compared to other tours but the show was still absolutely unbelievable!

They all seem to moving around okay for geezers in their mid 40's. ;)

I haven't saw the show yet so i can't judge but anyone else notice on the san diego 1 (28-03) bootleg during the second verse of Zoostation he sang "im ready to believe that i got no back disease"

Back
Top Bottom