Bono-singing with "playback"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
@everybody, who's attended a VERTIGO-gig so far

Now, this is a very delicate matter: U2 are for me the best live act in the world - I guess, many here will agree - but there is a strange idea coming to my mind regarding the shows of this tour. First of all, I want to say that I've never heard Bono singing that strong and emotional than on this tour - at least since '92 when started touring. And this is also the way it is on nights, when you hear that his voice is not that clear.
But: Always the "opera" part in Sometimes and especially the "Pavarotti" lines in Miss Sarajewo he is hitting perfectly, mabe even more than that.
So do you have an idea, whether these parts could be supported by a kind of technical playback - like there had been a rumour regarding The Rolling Stones' performances years ago? Please let me know, whether you've had similar ideas or observations?

And please: Don't tell me, Bono is a great singer giving all his heart on stage, using his father's voice etc. - this I know and do appreciate ...

Last edited:
Thanks, folks, it is very early morning here - I corrected myself. Of course, I write about "Sometimes..." and "Miss Sarajewo". Any ideas?

Last edited:
So, you are suggesting Bono is using playback in those songs...
I would never believe it.
I suppose you already know how important, personal and emotional they are for him.

Last edited:
Bono isnt using any backing on Sometimes. I dont know about Miss Sarajevo, but I doubt it. Bono's voice is stronger because he is taking better care of it.

I would be suspicious if he hit that peak in Sometimes identically every time, but having heard numerous performances live and on boots, it's different every time, I noticed on the Amsterdam 3 boot that he even held the "siiing" part extra long! I asked somebody who was there and who would know if there was some "enhancement" on the glory notes of Miss Sarajevo and she said it was all him.

I seen him twice on this tour and there is no way he's playing to any backing tape, his vocals were raw but excellent on both occasions.

he sounds different at different show so that pretty much dispells this myth about "backing tapes"

KUEFC09U2 said:
he sounds different at different show so that pretty much dispells this myth about "backing tapes"

Unless they are clever enough to arrange this? :wink: Nah, Sir KUEFC09U2 is right, one can always download some bootlegs and listen carefully.....

U2Man said:

Unless they are clever enough to arrange this? :wink: Nah, Sir KUEFC09U2 is right, one can always download some bootlegs and listen carefully.....

don't you mean sir U2defender U2man??:wink:

The "Feeeeeeeel" screams in Vertigo sound very powerfull, there could be some kind of extra amps on that ....

Pop Artist said:
I asked somebody who was there and who would know if there was some "enhancement" on the glory notes of Miss Sarajevo and she said it was all him.

If you watch the streaming video at u2log you can see his forehead turn 50 shades of red as he is getting those notes, so yep, it's all Bono! Unless of course he can fake his head about to explode :wink:.

EPandAmerica said:

If you watch the streaming video at u2log you can see his forehead turn 50 shades of red as he is getting those notes, so yep, it's all Bono! Unless of course he can fake his head about to explode :wink:.

yeah, in Amsterdam during ms Sarajevo, that second Amor, I thought he was gonna faint because of shortness of breath, that was definately all him.
Even if I could only see it on the big screens but it was very clear, he didn't wear his glasses either for that song :drool:

:wink:

Bono uses a feedback delay/echo on certain songs (Vertigo, for example, on the "feel" part). They've done this for forever.

The opera parts (in AIWIY (Slane), THTBA (the Oscars), MS (Holland3 and Zurich)) use the same processing delay/echo elements, but just different settings to get a "sustain." This sustain element has been used on WOWY (see, for example, Slane during the "Ohhh's"). There is no "cheating" going on. :wink: Bono still has to hit the high notes in order for the processing elements to sound good.

U2Man said:

:uhoh:

Haha, Zwervers2....you got a telling-off from one of the mods.....:shame: shame on you....:shame:......:wink:

BOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEH just as I got a ghost on the attic..

zwervers2 said:

BOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEH just as I got a ghost on the attic..

:lmao: Let's not piss neutral off, right.....we just told her yesterday, we loved her....and we do....:wink:

U2Man said:

:lmao: Let's not piss neutral off, right.....we just told her yesterday, we loved her....and we do....:wink:

piss neutral off??? no way..didn't you read the story in the vertigotour audio threads??? the yahwehrecording is allready made it there..I'm improving haha

neutral said:

oh really? :lol:
*goes to watch that clip*

:uhoh: I am confused, it wasn't the log clip now that I watched it again, but someone else had a closer clip from their cell phone. I don't remember which thread I dl it from. I can do a sendit file when I get home. It was very shakey, but better lit and closer than the log clip.

MTEdge is correct, they use a simple delay on Bonos vocals on cetain parts, EVERY VOCALIST whos EVER sung live has done this at somepoint, its not cheating it simply makes for a thicker vocal sound, and also like MTEEdge said Bono has to hit all the notes to begin with for the it all to sound good, if he misses a note the delay is only gona repeat that same bad note and it'll sound even worse

I saw him in Manchester and I'm convinced he was a hologram.

anyone else agree?

And I'm pretty sure Adam wasn't playing properly either - oh hang on a minute. :wink:

If anyone out there gets a chance to pick up the latest copy of Lighting and Sound America (a lighting, sound, and staging trade mag) there is THE definitive technical article about the Vertigo US leg.

Everyone is interviewed from Willie to Joe O and everyone in the 'underworld.'

The amount of technology being used on this tour is staggering. The explanation of how many filters the sound goes through before it hits our ears is also staggering.

Here is the link to the mag's site, but the story is not posted. I have sent a pdf of the article to the news team here, but do not know if they can legally publish it.

http://www.lightingandsoundamerica.com/

Back
Top Bottom