Bono-singing with "playback"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't the one who mentioned Sarajavo anyway, that was someone else. I cannot stand that song so I wouldn't know.

Alright, I'm going to comment on this one last time and I'm done, unless you decide you want to try to taunt me or bring me up specifically again (as I was done with this thread until you had to call me out again).

There is backing on City. I agree, there is. What I'm saying is that live (not on the album) Edge is suppose to do the vocal to the backing. Bono also sings it as well on occassion with Edge. So in a sense I will concede that Bono is singing to a backing track w/Edge. But its not Bonos lead vocal.

On Sometimes for the VERTIGO tour, which is what we are discussing. NOT the Brooklyn Bridge show. Bono uses no playback for his vocal, at all. Edge does back him on the falsetto. Thats it. What caused me to comment specifically to you as that you said "its quite obvious that Bono uses backing on the falsetto" and he does, but its Edge, not a tape. I know this for a fact. Like I said, dont believe me, I dont care. But dont keep bringing me up when its a dead issue again.

huh? edge and bono do indeed sound A LOT alike at times...
just take a listen to their song "Seconds" from the early days. tell me whos who.

and why on earth do you think bono was using a backing during the brooklyn bridge show?

"looks like" not "is".. is the keyword here. you think he looks like he is, but that doesnt mean shit. i dont think he uses it for these. he might sometimes... when his voice is having trouble and they're taping for something.. who knows. but who cares? its still bono.. and in this case hed be doing it for a reason and not for the entire show or song. so... let this topic die.. or im "throwing it into the literal trashcan". lol.

Look at it this way. If Bono does have some backing help for difficult notes, then it's just to ensure a "clean" performance. If he doesn't use some backing help and totally misses the note, people would bitch and moan about it all over town.

So he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

And then Ashlee Simpson comes out and does a hoe-down before blaming the band.

Yeah, but you have to admit its the dumb and ridiculous threads that always remain on top. We have this one and the even more dumb and ridiculous "American vs. European Setlist" thread on top for the past few days.

On this one some people will never be convinced that Bono can sing some of the songs and on the other one people can't come to grips that its different strokes for different folks and there is no right answer. Maybe if they were playing Acrobat & Crumbs in one continent vs the other there would be an argument.:|

Blue Room said:
Alright, I'm going to comment on this one last time and I'm done, unless you decide you want to try to taunt me or bring me up specifically again (as I was done with this thread until you had to call me out again).

There is backing on City. I agree, there is. What I'm saying is that live (not on the album) Edge is suppose to do the vocal to the backing. Bono also sings it as well on occassion with Edge. So in a sense I will concede that Bono is singing to a backing track w/Edge. But its not Bonos lead vocal.

On Sometimes for the VERTIGO tour, which is what we are discussing. NOT the Brooklyn Bridge show. Bono uses no playback for his vocal, at all. Edge does back him on the falsetto. Thats it. What caused me to comment specifically to you as that you said "its quite obvious that Bono uses backing on the falsetto" and he does, but its Edge, not a tape. I know this for a fact. Like I said, dont believe me, I dont care. But dont keep bringing me up when its a dead issue again.

That is bullshit. This is the Vertigo tour 2004/2005/2006 forum, which does in fact include the Brooklyn Bridge show. I see nowhere in this threads title or the original post that says just the "official Vertigo tour" playback.

I keep calling you out because you keep trying to ignor it when I give you specific proof that Bono is using backing vocals.

And holy shit. I have freakin videos of COBL. Edge is nowhere near the microphone during either of the pre-chorus parts and Bono clearly is faking it as he has his mic up his his mouth. I don't know why on earth you think that is suposed to be Edge's part when you just said it's Bono's part on the album. Is there somewhere written Written in stone that it is in fact Edge doing that? Because if there isn't, it's Bono, because nowhere on this tour have I seen Edge try and do that part or even come up to the mic and pretend to do it. It's always Bono.

Why the hell do you think that is The Edge's part in COBL?

But for the second time, I really don't care if he is. If he is using backing vocals it's just to keep the fans happy by making them think he hit the high notes and everyone can like watching the show. I think that's great. :wink: I have nothing against Bono for using playback.

And trying to change the subject of COBL and Sometimes, if Bono used playback, maybe they could play Acrobat. I hear the reason that they don't play Acrobat and One Tree Hill is because Bono's voice gets messed up durring one part of it for some reason and he can end up losing his voice. I dunno, just a thought :huh:

Last edited:
IrishDawg said:

That is bullshit. This is the Vertigo tour 2004/2005/2006 forum, which does in fact include the Brooklyn Bridge show. I see nowhere in this threads title or the original post that says just the "official Vertigo tour" playback.

I keep calling you out because you keep trying to ignor it when I give you specific proof that Bono is using backing vocals.

And holy shit. I have freakin videos of COBL. Edge is nowhere near the microphone during either of the pre-chorus parts and Bono clearly is faking it as he has his mic up his his mouth. I don't know why on earth you think that is suposed to be Edge's part when you just said it's Bono's part on the album. Is there somewhere written Written in stone that it is in fact Edge doing that? Because if there isn't, it's Bono, because nowhere on this tour have I seen Edge try and do that part or even come up to the mic and pretend to do it. It's always Bono.

Why the hell do you think that is The Edge's part in COBL?

But for the second time, I really don't care if he is. If he is using backing vocals it's just to keep the fans happy by making them think he hit the high notes and everyone can like watching the show. I think that's great. :wink: I have nothing against Bono for using playback.

And trying to change the subject of COBL and Sometimes, if Bono used playback, maybe they could play Acrobat. I hear the reason that they don't play Acrobat and One Tree Hill is because Bono's voice gets messed up durring one part of it for some reason and he can end up losing his voice. I dunno, just a thought :huh:
well explain why it sounds different in pretty much every version of the song? there are a few versions were bono wont even attempt the high notes, and i would like to know where you have these "videos" because i also have 4 bootlegs from this tour, and in each one you can see both bono and edge sing there parts,

and for your information its is the edge that sings the high notes

i cant belive we get this same kinda post every few weeks, we had it during the elevation tour, were getting it again now,

i seriously doubt the band are using any playback, but if you want to belive they are then thats upto you, but most dont think they are,

and i belive that is bono in miss sarajevo, as when i watched the clip from u2log you could see his face going red with the power of the vocal

but hey belive what you want

KUEFC09U2 said:
well explain why it sounds different in pretty much every version of the song? there are a few versions were bono wont even attempt the high notes, and i would like to know where you have these "videos" because i also have 4 bootlegs from this tour, and in each one you can see both bono and edge sing there parts,

and for your information its is the edge that sings the high notes

Are you talking about Sometimes or COBL? :eyebrow:

I have the video of COBL from u2.com, Brooklyn bridge, and the official one. Don't have any DVD ones...

Whatever, I'm gone, I'll let you guys talk about how perfect U2 are and that they never use backing vocals on your own. :|

IrishDawg said:
Whatever, I'm gone, I'll let you guys talk about how perfect U2 are and that they never use backing vocals on your own. :|
sorry yes they were so perfect in the 80's and 90's

victor_f said:
I've heard somewhere that when Bono wants the playback to be activated he puts his left hand on his heart. :wink:

I just have to say last night while watching a concert dvd my friend and I have never laughed so hard! We were making note of how many times Bono does indeed put his hand on his heart.

:cute: :heart: :love:

Oh and it really does work, the audience provided wonderful backing vocals. :wink:

EPandAmerica said:

I just have to say last night while watching a concert dvd my friend and I have never laughed so hard! We were making note of how many times Bono does indeed put his hand on his heart.

:cute: :heart: :love:

Oh and it really does work, the audience provided wonderful backing vocals. :wink:

With that investigative process have you noticed what is the signal he uses to stop the playback and rejoin the song? And also, the times he puts his hand on his heart coincides with "hard singing" parts of songs?

:wink:

Having just seen both U2.com versions of COBL (MTV video and Chicago DVD video), and having just now gone back to see some other live footage of COBL (that I have from other concerts), I stand corrected.

I know for a fact that The Edge does not sing his woo's live, and that The Edge's woo's are playback. (I also have doubts as to whether The Edge--whether playback or live--has any part of the woo's on COBL.) It also appears that Bono's woo's are playback much the same way his woo's on Elevation during the Elevation tour were playback. I do feel that Bono's live woo's on COBL only slightly augment the playback woo's.

IrishDawg you were right. :|

Last edited:
MTEdge said:
Having just seen both U2.com versions of COBL (MTV video and Chicago DVD video), and having just now gone back to see some other live footage of COBL (that I have from other concerts), I stand corrected.

I know for a fact that The Edge does not sing his woo's live, and that The Edge's woo's are playback. (I also have doubts as to whether The Edge--whether playback or live--has any part of the woo's on COBL.) It also appears that Bono's woo's are playback much the same way his woo's on Elevation during the Elevation tour were playback. I do feel that Bono's live woo's only slightly augment the playback woo's.

IrishDawg you were right. :|
am still not sure, because it sounds different on quite a few versions, the woo oo's sometimes arent sang in a high pitch

oh i dunno anyway,

KUEF, the video doesn't lie. I did note that Bono's live woo's on COBL add color to the playback woo's. That may explain why each concert may sound a bit different.

MTEdge said:
KUEF, the video doesn't lie. I did note that Bono's live woo's on COBL add color to the playback woo's. That may explain why each concert may sound a bit different.
ah gotcha

but i belive if thats what bono's wants, to add cleaness to the vocal then they should carry on with it, as you already noted about his woo hooo's during elevation on the last tour

victor_f said:
With that investigative process have you noticed what is the signal he uses to stop the playback and rejoin the song?

:wink:

okay, so I've been watching a couple of DVD's today trying to figure out the playback stop signal.

Is it when he scratches his ass?:eyebrow:

Sheesh rose you weren't watching very closely. :tsk: It's obviously when he gazes longingly at Edge's shoes.

SANDIEGO1-53.jpg

Having returned from a great gig in Rome – the band in excellent form, the U2-audience as usual in Italy superb (!) – I have carefully listened to "Miss Sarajewo" again.
My impression: The high Pavarotti-part "l'amor..." Bono doesn't do live 100%. To me it sounds as if there is a pretaped backing, Bono is singing over.
Maybe it is an even pre-taped Pavarotti voice or a pretaped and "manipulated" Bono voice being played. You hear it in the general voice sound, that is changing during these few notes in the song and becoming pure, nearly crystal clear. So, folks, this is not only the microphone technics, but a playback. Nevertheless: beautiful!

were always going to get this now, now matter what, bono hits a great note, people assume its fake,

am sorry but am sure bono DOES sing the pavarotti line, they are alot easier to hit than a very high pitched note, and bono has the voice to hit that very deep note

but some people will never belive he hits it

its the same as when he sang THTBA at the globes, and hit that opera note, people didnt belive it

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:
Having returned from a great gig in Rome – the band in excellent form, the U2-audience as usual in Italy superb (!) – I have carefully listened to "Miss Sarajewo" again.
My impression: The high Pavarotti-part "l'amor..." Bono doesn't do live 100%. To me it sounds as if there is a pretaped backing, Bono is singing over.
Maybe it is an even pre-taped Pavarotti voice or a pretaped and "manipulated" Bono voice being played. You hear it in the general voice sound, that is changing during these few notes in the song and becoming pure, nearly crystal clear. So, folks, this is not only the microphone technics, but a playback. Nevertheless: beautiful!

well: In Amsterdam it was 100% live that is a fact. there his opera voice isn;t 100% clear it is 90% and you can actually almost hear him pouring his longs out. that is not pre taped.

It was spintingling though :wink:

the city of blinding lights owowowo part I am not so sure about to be honest.it sounds a bit too clean for some reason but I like it so there is no need to change it:wink:

zwervers2 said:

well: In Amsterdam it was 100% live that is a fact. there his opera voice isn;t 100% clear it is 90% and you can actually almost hear him pouring his longs out. that is not pre taped.

It was spintingling though :wink:

the city of blinding lights owowowo part I am not so sure about to be honest.it sounds a bit too clean for some reason but I like it so there is no need to change it:wink:
you've changed :wink:

Back
Top Bottom