Bono-singing with "playback"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

No, its not quite obvious, because he isnt. I'm "telling" you he is not using backing on Sometimes. Its all Bono live at the climax of the song.

:love:

As I mentioned in one of the other threads... if you're lucky enough to be close to him during the siiiiiiiiiiiiing part, you can actually hear his voice as it hits the microphone, without amplification... I have been lucky enough to experience that at least a couple of times, and let me tell you :drool:

Blue Room said:

No, its not quite obvious, because he isnt. I'm "telling" you he is not using backing on Sometimes. Its all Bono live at the climax of the song. Some of you will choose not to believe it anyway. But you also probebly dont think we actually went to the moon either! :eyebrow:

i think i can believe that :wink:

Blue Room said:

No, its not quite obvious, because he isnt. I'm "telling" you he is not using backing on Sometimes. Its all Bono live at the climax of the song. Some of you will choose not to believe it anyway. But you also probebly dont think we actually went to the moon either! :eyebrow:

No, I am quite sure people went to the moon. I am just stating an opinion. No one here has proof or is 100% sure if Bono is or isn't using backing vocals.

But I guess like every post I make here people seem to "tell" me their opinion is fact. Just like you're "Telling" me he isn't using backing vocals. I agree durring the "climax" where Bono sings "siiing, you're the reason I sing" that he is doing it live. I was talking about the falsetto.

So I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't "tell" me something that you are not sure is fact. I would also like you not to assume things about me. Saying that I don't believe people stepped on the moon was a rather harsh thing to say when you have no idea what my opinion is on that issue.

I swear, some of you on here need to stop acting as if your opinion is fact and allow other people to express their opinions. :( I am glad you think Bono is singing the falsetto durring Sometimes, Blue Room, you seem to have more faith in his singing tallents than me.

EDIT

Nevermind, believe what you want.

But you are right about the backing on the falsetto. Its a new fangled deal called The Edge! :laugh:

Last edited:
IrishDawg said:

No, I am quite sure people went to the moon. I am just stating an opinion. No one here has proof or is 100% sure if Bono is or isn't using backing vocals.

But I guess like every post I make here people seem to "tell" me their opinion is fact. Just like you're "Telling" me he isn't using backing vocals. I agree durring the "climax" where Bono sings "siiing, you're the reason I sing" that he is doing it live. I was talking about the falsetto.

So I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't "tell" me something that you are not sure is fact. I would also like you not to assume things about me. Saying that I don't believe people stepped on the moon was a rather harsh thing to say when you have no idea what my opinion is on that issue.

I swear, some of you on here need to stop acting as if your opinion is fact and allow other people to express their opinions. :( I am glad you think Bono is singing the falsetto durring Sometimes, Blue Room, you seem to have more faith in his singing tallents than me.

Thank you for expressing your opinion. It is my opinion that I find it impossible that you don't know that The Edge is singing the falsetto section in Sometimes, and that Bono is merely providing support. It is sooo obvious!

In any event, please don't act like a victim when your opinions are thrashed because of your own lack of knowledge, or stated differently, your lack of investigation. You are accusing U2 of doing something rather unpopular, i.e., not performing live by using backing vocal tracks like Ashley Simpson. You should expect to get pummelled... :wink:

IrishDawg said:

:der:

Ok, maybe you really don’t get it but most (if not all) of us in this thread are absolutely sure about the fact that Bono isn’t using any backing vocals!!!

Bit of echo now and then, but no backing track.

They both sing the falsetto on Sometimes, but - just like the album - you can hear Edge better.

IrishDawg said:

Are you kidding me? :huh:

Shall I send you a clip of Bono singing a capella?

MTEdge said:

Thank you for expressing your opinion. It is my opinion that I find it impossible that you don't know that The Edge is singing the falsetto section in Sometimes, and that Bono is merely providing support. It is sooo obvious!

In any event, please don't act like a victim when your opinions are thrashed because of your own lack of knowledge, or stated differently, your lack of investigation. You are accusing U2 of doing something rather unpopular, i.e., not performing live by using backing vocal tracks like Ashley Simpson. You should expect to get pummelled... :wink:

Lack of investigation? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but on the U2.com video of COBL from Chicago, durring the pre-chorus, right before "all you look so beautiful tonight," Bono says "...ready to leave the ground." But half way through saying the word "ground," you can hear the Ooooh ooooh ooh part playing. I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part. So Bono must be increadible tallented to pull that off if he isn't using backing vocals.

And not as if I care if he is or isn't using backing vocals. I don't have any less respect towards him for doing it in certain parts of a song that are hard to pull off.

IrishDawg said:

Lack of investigation? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but on the U2.com video of COBL from Chicago, durring the pre-chorus, right before "all you look so beautiful tonight," Bono says "...ready to leave the ground." But half way through saying the word "ground," you can hear the Ooooh ooooh ooh part playing. I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part. So Bono must be increadible tallented to pull that off if he isn't using backing vocals.

And not as if I care if he is or isn't using backing vocals. I don't have any less respect towards him for doing it in certain parts of a song that are hard to pull off.

But wait, werent we/you talking about Sometimes and YOU brought up the falsetto part??? I dont remember and the post doesnt seem to reflect COBL??? :hmm:

The only backing being used for vocals at times is Edge's vocal. (IE the woo, woos on City, the days on B. Day and the Holas on Vertigo) Any lead that is Bono's on this tour does not have backing. Since we are discussing BONO's vocals (See the title of the thread), what you are pointing out does not apply.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

But wait, werent we/you talking about Sometimes and YOU brought up the falsetto part??? I dont remember and the post doesnt seem to reflect COBL??? :hmm:

The only backing being used for vocals at times is Edge's vocal. (IE the woo, woos on City, the days on B. Day and the Holas on Vertigo) Any lead that is Bono's on this tour does not have backing. Since we are discussing BONO's vocals (See the title of the thread), what you are pointing out does not apply.

The woos in COBL is not Edge's singing. That's Bono...So yes it does apply. I believe I actually stated that in my post, "I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part." That's a direct quote, if you're gonna argue w/ me you can at least get some of the stuff I say strait.

And I just don't have audio proof for Sometimes, since I am not a huge fan of that song I usually don't download bootlegs of this song. So I used City as an example, so others can go listen for themselves.

IrishDawg said:
I think it's quite obvious he's using playback in Sometimes, at least for the falsetto part, either that or it's just Edge, can't tell.

IrishDawg said:

IrishDawg said:

The woos in COBL is not Edge's singing. That's Bono...So yes it does apply. I believe I actually stated that in my post, "I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part." That's a direct quote, if you're gonna argue w/ me you can at least get some of the stuff I say strait.

And I just don't have audio proof for Sometimes, since I am not a huge fan of that song I usually don't download bootlegs of this song. So I used City as an example, so others can go listen for themselves.

:hmm: I think you believe wrong, you referred to Sometimes only. I quoted you right off the thread itself. It seems odd that you would say it seems quite obvious about Sometimes and then state in your last post you dont have audio proof. How are you sure its quite obvious when you havent even listened to a live playback of the song? Also seems odd that your "direct quote" of yourself doesnt appear anywhere in your posts on this thread?

Edge does do the Woo woos on City live. Bono isnt attempting to do the lead on that part. You obviously think Bono has vocal backing. Go ahead and believe it. Not sure why you think that though based on the info you have provided. :shrug: I dont think it matters what I say about it, you wont believe it anyway. So I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
You are completely making it sound as if I'm saying something else. Forget what I said about Sometimes. I was talking about COBL in my last post and you change the subject to Sometimes. It is Bono doing the woo part. If you have the video from u2.com you can see him "sing" it. And what is this crap about me not talking about Bono being the one singing? Look in my post. I am copying and pasting this:

"Lack of investigation? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but on the U2.com video of COBL from Chicago, durring the pre-chorus, right before "all you look so beautiful tonight," Bono says "...ready to leave the ground." But half way through saying the word "ground," you can hear the Ooooh ooooh ooh part playing. I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part. So Bono must be increadible tallented to pull that off if he isn't using backing vocals.

And not as if I care if he is or isn't using backing vocals. I don't have any less respect towards him for doing it in certain parts of a song that are hard to pull off."

Are you blind? I said it was not Edge and it's Bono. Or did you happen to "accidentally" miss that part and then claim I said it was Edge. I Am not talking about Edge I said it was NOT EDGE singing that part. I am completely talking about Bono, like you said, who this thread is about.

Whatever, I could care less. He's using backings, I'll believe what I believe, go ahead and believe what you want. I have nothing against that. Everyone has a right to believe what they want.

Oh and what you said about me not knowing what Sometimes live sounds like, I once downloaded the whole San Diego bootleg, and listened to all the songs, deleting the ones I didn't like. So I heard Sometimes before I deleted it. Sorry, my fault on making it sound as if I haven't heard Sometimes live before. I just don't have an mp3 now and can't use it as proof.

IrishDawg said:
You are completely making it sound as if I'm saying something else. Forget what I said about Sometimes. I was talking about COBL in my last post and you change the subject to Sometimes. It is Bono doing the woo part. If you have the video from u2.com you can see him "sing" it. And what is this crap about me not talking about Bono being the one singing? Look in my post. I am copying and pasting this:

"Lack of investigation? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but on the U2.com video of COBL from Chicago, durring the pre-chorus, right before "all you look so beautiful tonight," Bono says "...ready to leave the ground." But half way through saying the word "ground," you can hear the Ooooh ooooh ooh part playing. I know that isn't the Edge who sings that part. So Bono must be increadible tallented to pull that off if he isn't using backing vocals.

And not as if I care if he is or isn't using backing vocals. I don't have any less respect towards him for doing it in certain parts of a song that are hard to pull off."

Are you blind? I said it was not Edge and it's Bono. Or did you happen to "accidentally" miss that part and then claim I said it was Edge. I Am not talking about Edge I said it was NOT EDGE singing that part. I am completely talking about Bono, like you said, who this thread is about.

Whatever, I could care less. He's using backings, I'll believe what I believe, go ahead and believe what you want. I have nothing against that. Everyone has a right to believe what they want.

No, what I find odd, is that you tell me that I'm quoting what you said wrong. I quote what you said, then it is ME that is twisting what you are saying?? OKAY Not sure what the "lack of investigation" in quotes is for, I never said that. Who is misquoting who here?

My responses have been to what you said exactly. You did not bring up City until that last post even though you quote yourself as saying something different. I think its kind of funny that you are basing your conclusion from online video clips and one listen to a bootleg from the first show of the tour. If thats all it takes for you to "investigate", go for it. But as someone else said on this thread dont expect to get called on it or have most people disagree with you. I know what I know, whether you choose to believe it or not doesnt bother me. I havent twisted your words?? I have quoted you exactly. :shrug:

IrishDawg said:

The Edge does do the "ooooh oooooh ooh" part in COBL. In fact, he's the lead singer for that part in COBL. You are losing credibility faster than Ashley Simpson...

Yeah, but HE said that YOU said that you were talking about that other thing, and then he copied and pasted it and you claimed you copied and pasted it, and then he said he KNEW that's what you meant but you completely misunderstood him, but the original thing you were talking about was copied and pasted and then Ashlee Simpson came and did a hoe-down.

corianderstem said:
Yeah, but HE said that YOU said that you were talking about that other thing, and then he copied and pasted it and you claimed you copied and pasted it, and then he said he KNEW that's what you meant but you completely misunderstood him, but the original thing you were talking about was copied and pasted and then Ashlee Simpson came and did a hoe-down.

:lmao:

Haha, that's good enough for me.

~~~~

But yes it is Bono "singing" the woos! I'm telling you! Watch any COBL video from the tour. :wink:

IrishDawg said:

:lmao:

Haha, that's good enough for me.

~~~~

But yes it is Bono "singing" the woos! I'm telling you! Watch any COBL video from the tour. :wink:

Yes, I know Bono sings them too. My point is that The Edge takes the lead vocals on the falsetto section on COBL (just he does in Sometimes). :wink:

That's true. Sometimes he is using playback while singing a part of a song. So he's partially singing it live.

Sorry MTEdge, I was trying to seperate the post w/ the ~~~~. I was talking about Blue Room who doesn't realize it's Bono doing the woo's.

IrishDawg said:
That's true. Sometimes he is using playback while singing a part of a song. So he's partially singing it live.

Sorry MTEdge, I was trying to seperate the post w/ the ~~~~. I was talking about Blue Room who doesn't realize it's Bono doing the woo's.

Whatever, you cant seem to let it go. You never did address where your "quotes" of yourself came from, I dont seem to find them on this thread. Whats up with that. Its always amazing to me when people have to manufacture things they said to either change the subject or try to make a point when they may have been proven wrong. YOU are the one that changed the subject to another song. Originally it was Sometimes. Bono uses no backing on Sometimes. YOU said it was quite obvious he did ON THAT SONG. Again, Bono is not singing lead on City woo's live. Edge is. He may sing to it sometimes but its not his lead live. Its similiar to the backing they use for the Days on B. Day, the Holas on Vertigo as I indicated before. I have never said the band itself doesnt use backing, they do with intruments and Edge's additional backing. But Bono does not use a backing track to his lead vocal. Not on this tour anyway. I also indicated that I dont know about Miss Sarajevo. I have not heard the live version of it from this tour. But if you count him singing with a tape of Pavarotti as using a back up vocal, that is a stretch. We are talking about Bono using a backing tape of his OWN vocals on this thread.

Last edited:
Go to page 5 and look at the 11th post down. That was the post of mine that I was refering to. In that post I stated Edge was not doing the pre-chorus in COBL. That was the post of mine that I quoted, and you must have missed.

And I know I mentioned Sometimes at the beginning, but I wasn't trying to change the subject w/ COBL. I was showing you another example of Bono using playback. Like you said before, this thread is about Bono using playback, so if I want to tell you of several songs in which he is doing so, I have the right to.

And another version of Sometimes that I have seen where it looks like Bono is using playback is the one at the Brooklyn Bridge, durring the falsetto, if you are so eager to get back on the subject of Sometimes, and ignor COBL, which for a fact is using playback by BONO. The falsetto durring the one at Brooklyn sounds exactly like the album one, almost as if someone copied it from the album and played it right then.

Now I have stated this quite a few times:

IT IS BONO DOING THE WOO'S IN COBL <------

I HAVE 2 VIDEOS IN WHICH IT SHOWS THIS. IT IS NOT EDGE!!! For the 3rd time at least. It doesn't even sound like Edge. If you can't tell the difference between Bono's voice and Edge's voice, how can you be sure Bono isn't using playback?

I hope this clears up some of the confusion I may have caused in my last few posts.

Last edited:
Didn't sound like there was backing to Miss Sarajevo in Amsterdam on the boot ...

Back
Top Bottom