Bono Singing To Track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slamming J

The Fly
Okay, maybe I'm crazy... But it really sounds like Bono is singing to/with a pre-recorded vocal track on "Until The End Of The World" at Boston 3. It's especially noticable when he puts on that German accent, you can still hear the pre-recorded track behind him and just before he starts the accent (he starts too late)...

Anyone else notice this? Again, maybe I'm just crazy... :eyebrow:

I just listened to it, and I'm not sure what you're hearing. He's just singing in his normal voice before he goes into the german accent, which he sings in louder. At no point am I hearing two voices or anything like that.

majid23 said:
German accent? Like when he says "everybody havin' a good time?"

No, he says "You know I love the element of surprise" with the accent...

The thing is his voice goes really quiet, but you can still sort of hear it before he says it... Then you can hear someone else start that line up before he actually says it... Which sounds like it could be a track. Unless it's just the audience starting early (well, on time technically, since he delayed it a second).

But the thing is once he says it with the accent, his voice stays loud again for a bit instead of back to being really quiet (when he sang normally before)... Which is also part of the reason I thought it might be a track...

If you knew anything at all about U2, and especially the way Bono signs, you would know he does not sing along with a track. He is not capable of singing along to a track.

Quote: "I can't repeat myself [when I sing]"

Sheesh....

I think when he was singing that I love the element of surprise bit, he was reaching out for a featherboa in the crowd and wrapping himself in it. Maybe the microphone was a bit further away from his mouth than normal.

Tip Top Prince said:
If you knew anything at all about U2, and especially the way Bono signs, you would know he does not sing along with a track. He is not capable of singing along to a track.

Quote: "I can't repeat myself [when I sing]"

Sheesh....

Woah, chill... I'm a huge U2 fan (have all albums and then some) and I know tons about the band. But I must confess I haven't seen them live yet, so that's why I was just sincerely asking. It's not like I was saying it was fact... I was just curious...

I'm figuring it isn't true... It just sounded a lot like it.

Last edited:
I keep listening to that part, but I'm still not hearing any vocal overlap. I promise you though, he's not singing over a backing track. I was in the very front of the bomb shelter for two shows, and several times, when Bono would sing loudly and was leaning towards the crowd, I could actually hear the vocals directly from his mouth. Plus, he's always changing up his delivery and timing. There's just no way a backing track would ever work for him. Regardless, he doesn't need it :)

U2 ARE using a backing track - but only for instruments, effects and choir - not for Bono's voice.

U2Man said:
U2 ARE using a backing track - but only for instruments, effects and choir - not for Bono's voice.

This is just partially correct... They used a backing track on "Elevation" on Elevation Tour, cause they where walking in to the music, and obviously couldn´t play at the same time (espescially Larry;-))

Most of the time everything is live. U2 have a man on keyboards (Terry something) and a guitarplayer under the stage. (If you listen to Miracle Drug on Chicago 1 you can hear Bono saying "Come on Terry, you can play", when the keyboards isn´t working correctly...)

They also uses some drum machines, like on "New York" and "Beautiful day".

I also think they are using backing vocals track for the "O´la, Come E´sta"-bits on Vertigo. If you see San Diego I DVD, you see The Edge not beeing near a mic, at the "Come E´sta"... I don´t know if Larry or someone under the stage is singing too though...

I have listened to UTEOTW@Boston III and that is definately not a backing track. It´s just a combination of PA effects, Echo in the venue, and normalizing of sound in recording gear.

----
L03VIk

They are using a whole lot more than just keyboards and drum machines. Listen to the strings on One for example or the choir on LPOE.

a guitar player under the stage...are you sure? I thought that was just a rumor.
If they need extra guitar,are you sure it's not a prior track of the Edge...

Speaking of "under-the-stage" musicians, I have some questions:

Is it true? I yes, why they're not credited on concert DVDs and VHSs? Why U2 keeps them hidden? Why not ..... (I hope I'm not getting crucified for this).... bring them ON stage? Like a lot of bands do? Why, instead of using some pre-recorded backing tracks, not bring more musicians on stage to make the show feel more live?

I can understand an argument that U2 is all about Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry, but on the other hand we know very well that there are a lot of people assisting them recording albums (on additional keyboards, percussion, guitars, etc).

Another point is what the audience wants to hear more: either somewhat stripped down versions of songs performed by 4 members with some help of backing tracks or full, more album-like versions with additional instruments played by additional musicians on stage??? Just my thoughts...

Val said:
a guitar player under the stage...are you sure? I thought that was just a rumor.
If they need extra guitar,are you sure it's not a prior track of the Edge...

Yep, I´m shure, seen him many times.
You can for example see both the keyboard and guitar player under the stage on the documentary on the Elevation Boston 2001 DVD.

You can also see him beside the stage on the Brooklyn show 2004...

L03VIk said:

Yep, I´m shure, seen him many times.
You can for example see both the keyboard and guitar player under the stage on the documentary on the Elevation Boston 2001 DVD.

You're talking about Dallas who is ALWAYS near by tuning one of Edge's guitars but is not playing. :|

And Bono singing right in front of you and hearing the sounds coming directly from his mouth without amplification is :drool:

u2 uses LOTS of backing tracks to create the effect they want... obviously beautiful day, the begining to until the end of the world, new york, love and peace or else, city of blinding lights, one, miracle drug, sometimes you can't make it on your own all use some sort of backing track... the main guitar, bass, drums and vocals are all done by the band, but the strings and other effects are, obviously, on tape

L03VIk said:

dallas didn't play anything at brooklyn... i was on the edge's side, dallas just tuned the guitars and gave them to the edge.

what is interesting and adds to the fact that they use lots of backing tracks is the fact that there is deffinetly 2 guitars heard on the recording of all because of you, yet only one guitar player.

so either they added them in the studio later, or they had a backing track at the time.

*EDIT

I just listened to an audience recording of all because of you... they are deffinetly playing to a backing track... listen to the chorus... two guitars are playing, yet just one guitar player.

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

You're talking about Dallas who is ALWAYS near by tuning one of Edge's guitars but is not playing. :|
(...)

I know about Dallas, but I don´t know if he´s the guy playing. Here´s a pic from Brooklyn showing the two guys playing during All Because of You:

guitar1.JPG

I know U2 uses some backing tracks, but let´s not exaggerate it. The strings on One could very well be a keyboard. Espescially since One is improvised alsmost every night, with the speech and different endings etc... (The strings on Miracle Drug is keyboard too...)

That's Dallas... I was RIGHT there.. front row center :wink:

Check my profile for proof ;)

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
That's Dallas... I was RIGHT there.. front row center :wink:

Check my profile for proof ;)

I said it could be;-)
But this time he is playing, that´s for shure...

But during Elevation tour (and prob. this tour too...) Dallas is on Edges side, while the two additional musiscans is on Adams side...

Palace_Hero said:
There is no way the Edge's backing vocals on Beautiful Day are live. They always sound just like on the album, processed.

No. That is a backing track. But Edge is of course singing over it, with a lot of Echo...
Beautiful Day is a song that always uses backing track (backing vocal, drummachine etc.), and it they never improvise much with that one, except at the end of the song, when the track is finished...

Last edited:
this is a topic which is discussed VERY often, but Dallas doesn't play behind the stage!!!

The Guitar he is holding isn't even the one he would need for "All because of you", he is tuning it/keeping it ready for the next song "Miracle Drug"...
The 2nd Guitar in Brooklyn Bridge is pre-recorded and not Live!

L03VIk said:

I know about Dallas, but I don´t know if he´s the guy playing. Here´s a pic from Brooklyn showing the two guys playing during All Because of You:

guitar1.JPG

I know U2 uses some backing tracks, but let´s not exaggerate it. The strings on One could very well be a keyboard. Espescially since One is improvised alsmost every night, with the speech and different endings etc... (The strings on Miracle Drug is keyboard too...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom