Bono (Hewson): Battling With Shortness Of Breath?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm probably going to regret saying this but I definitely noted shortness of breath during the opening show. I mentioned it to my friend right after the show. One time in particular he was playing guitar, not running around the oval, and towards the end of the song he just.. ran out of breath. Or that's what I thought at the time--I haven't listened to the mp3s that closely, maybe I'll hear it differently when I do. He looks amazing, sounds amazing (this isn't about how good or bad his voice sounds), but he seemed at times a little bit ...short of breath to me. :shrug:

joyfulgirl said:
I'm probably going to regret saying this but I definitely noted shortness of breath during the opening show. I mentioned it to my friend right after the show. One time in particular he was playing guitar, not running around the oval, and towards the end of the song he just.. ran out of breath. Or that's what I thought at the time--I haven't listened to the mp3s that closely, maybe I'll hear it differently when I do. He looks amazing, sounds amazing (this isn't about how good or bad his voice sounds), but he seemed at times a little bit ...short of breath to me. :shrug:
start of tour, belive it or not singing so many songs does make you out of breate, specially when you havent sang so much in like 3.5 years

Bono has always needed to rest his voice during concerts. Consider:
during pre-"Boy" tours, Gavin Friday would come out and sing a song to help Bono rest (courtesy U2 at the End of the World);
during the "Boy" tours they played "Things to Make and Do," an instrumental that gave Bono time to recuperate;
Edge took the lead on "Seconds" on the War tour;
Edge sang "Van Diemen's Land" during LoveTown;
Larry sang "Dirty Old Town" during ZooTV;
Edge sang "Numb" during Zooropa;
Edge sang karaoke/"SBS" during PopMart.

Also, Flanagan points out that when Bono was recording "In the Name of the Father" he had troubled catching his breath between lines.

It was only on Elevation, once Bono quit smoking and drinking (he was allergic and it came out in his voice), that he was able to sustain singing for 2+ hours. In my opinion, it's just hard work to be a professional singer. U2's history bears that out. So Jick's not saying anything new, he's just causing trouble...as usual.

Back
Top Bottom