Bono and lipsynching?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Girl1978 said:

She obviously didn't...

Maybe she thinks that it was body double. :|

I haven't seen it either. I don't live in the USA and I'm betting greenslimer doesn't either. Yes, a film clip can be downloaded from the internet along with a billion other things. Maybe she didn't know to check that particular clip.

Now she knows, so she can have a looksee.

If you don't ask, you don't get answers. I seriously don't understand why some people become upset about questioning. If you don't like the question, prove her wrong.

Me, I'm a questioning soul too so I quite like it when people ask different things, topics that I haven't seen discussed before. :up:

thankyou, beli.

as for the Clinton Library thing, no I didnt see it. i saw clips on the news but didnt see the whole thing. where can i find this online, and of OK quality?? i have dial-up, so downloading it might be messy and probably the quality, too, but i'll check it out and do it anyway.

i did hear that asshole bush almost seemed nervous and threatened of bono as he was singing. which i thought was pretty darn cool. anyone who knows me, knows how much i cant stand bush (or clinton really).

how many songs did they play?

zoopop said:
Bono does not lipsynch. And the "Elevation" who, hoos, are pre recorded but Bono still adds to them. I can't believe this thread even started.

added only to the intro, but once the song kicked in those woo hoos were his.

Why would he lips synch to a cracked voice? Sometimes even on TV performances his voice cracks and he almost misses notes. If he was gonna lip synch wouldn't it stand to reason that he would do it to the best possible version of the song? (BY the way, I'm not putting Bono down, I still happen to think he's amazing)

Also, I've heard him in several interviews and documentaries singing without music.

I've heard Bono sing to a backing track (Woo Hoo in Elevation and others on TV) but that's a backing track not his actual vocal performance.

It's no offense to you greenslimer but I really don't see how you could believe he would be lip synching? Seriously, his voice hasn't been that good since like ZooTV and if that's the case why would he lip synch to a so-so performance. It doesn't make sense.

u2_england said:
It's a true fact that Bono lipped-synched the whole Sarajevo concert.

U2 were originally the 4 winners of a television show to find a 'new' Irish boyband. A television show hosted by a certain Mr Paul McGuinness. They NEVER met at school.

The name U2 was inspired by Richard Nixon. In his infamous Watergate address to the American public he reportedly said, off the record, "I fooled you too".

Adam Clayton died of an alcoholic binge the night he missed the concert in Sydney '93 and his identical 'separated at birth' twin brother, Joey, was brought in to replaced him - haven't you noticed how 'Adam's' bass playing has greatly improved?

Bono is bald as a coot - this happened after the infamous concert in L.A. '87 when his hair caught fire when using the spotlight during Bullet. He was speedily rushed to hospital, but they only managed to save his eyebrows.

The Edge was born Edwina and had the pioneering sex-change operation in the Spring of '74. Unfortunately, the necessary testosterone level given was way too high and has since resulted in The Edge suffering 'male' pattern baldness. 'He' is still embroiled in an ongoing law suit with the surgeon, a Dr Hemaphrodite.

Larry was reported to have been abducted by an alien species. Obviously, to avoid ridicule, he has kept this quiet, but if you look closely at photos of Larry's right arm you can clearly see a triangular shaped series of dots. The 'rumours' persist that he has developed a forked tongue due to this 'abduction' - this could explain why he insists on appearing tight-lipped and moody in photo-shoots.

And finally, you SHOULD beLIEve everything you read.

Best. Post. Ever. :laugh:

greenslimer said:
thats why i was wondering if anyone has ever seen him sing unaccompanied, like doing something accappella by himself.. during an interview, documentary, or in person in a meeting.. and if it still sounded like him?

There's the bit in Miss Sarajevo that beli mentioned, and there was an mp3 of an interview in Australia back when ATYCLB came out when he was talking about In a little while and sang a few lines a capella. It did sound like him.

As for Bono and Edge voices, yes in the very early years (Seconds for example) but not so starting with UF.

Elevation - not lipsynching.

Last edited:
U2Girl: Do you know where I can find this MP3 interview at?

Was he actually singing it or just mumbling the lines?
are you 100% sure it that it sounds like the same guy from the albums?

And yes, someone already mentioned the Sarejevo thing.
I did check it out. I guess it sounds like the album versions.

Last edited:
I don't know, I found it here but it was months ago and I didn't keep the mp3 - it sounds like that version of Mothers of the dissapeared that was posted - in between mumbling and singing.

there is the most abnoxious threads!!!! come on the man sing for decades and some people thinks they just discover fire!!!!
how to try to inform yourself before make unfortunate questions?

I have seen MANY shows, from the 80's to present day where it's clear that Bono is singing. These include TV appearances, downloads and concerts.

On the Elevation Tour, the opening "woo-hoo's" of the song "Elevation" were played and Bono sang with them. Those are fairly high notes and it's a bit tough to open a concert with them spot on. That is, imagine an opera singer starting off his/her performance with one of their higher notes! A singer needs to work their voice to that level. In order to ensure the song sounded well, there was a recording played. This is a common trick with singers - like Ashley Simpson - where they sing along with their own voice to make them sound richer and stronger. Also, if they are dancing or caught in the audience crowd or forget a word, the back-up tape will play and not miss the song. In Bono's case though, he ONLY used this tape for the "woo-hoo's". As soon as those opening "woo-hoo's" were played, it was all him.

He can hit those "woo-hoo's" though - listen to the San Diego versions of "Elevation" now. But as exemplified by Bono's voice cracking during "Bad" on "Rattle & Hum" during the "woo-hoo's", sometimes it is a challenge to hit those higher falsetto notes.

But don't let a few token "woo-hoo's" lead you to believe that Bono is lip-synching. The mistakes, alterations and deviations from the original - not to mention the speeches - clearly prove this is all Bono.

greenslimer said:
U2Girl: Do you know where I can find this MP3 interview at?

Was he actually singing it or just mumbling the lines?
are you 100% sure it that it sounds like the same guy from the albums?

And yes, someone already mentioned the Sarejevo thing.
I did check it out. I guess it sounds like the album versions.

Christ on a bike!!!!! :banghead: Greenslimer you're taking this way too far and way too seriously. Bono sings - he's been doing it for 25 years - WE'D HAVE BLOODY NOTICED IF HE WASN'T!

I'm asking, no begging you - remove the rod from your ass and accept that he does not lip-synch!

Trust us, we've been around a bit.

doctorwho said:
I have seen MANY shows, from the 80's to present day where it's clear that Bono is singing. These include TV appearances, downloads and concerts.

On the Elevation Tour, the opening "woo-hoo's" of the song "Elevation" were played and Bono sang with them. Those are fairly high notes and it's a bit tough to open a concert with them spot on. That is, imagine an opera singer starting off his/her performance with one of their higher notes! A singer needs to work their voice to that level. In order to ensure the song sounded well, there was a recording played. This is a common trick with singers - like Ashley Simpson - where they sing along with their own voice to make them sound richer and stronger. Also, if they are dancing or caught in the audience crowd or forget a word, the back-up tape will play and not miss the song. In Bono's case though, he ONLY used this tape for the "woo-hoo's". As soon as those opening "woo-hoo's" were played, it was all him.

He can hit those "woo-hoo's" though - listen to the San Diego versions of "Elevation" now. But as exemplified by Bono's voice cracking during "Bad" on "Rattle & Hum" during the "woo-hoo's", sometimes it is a challenge to hit those higher falsetto notes.

But don't let a few token "woo-hoo's" lead you to believe that Bono is lip-synching. The mistakes, alterations and deviations from the original - not to mention the speeches - clearly prove this is all Bono.

like i said, they could have something live sounding by someone else recorded earlier that day, and then bono can lip-synch to it (this other person's vocals) at the show at night.

to your opinion, does bono's speaking voice remind you of his singing voice much of the time?

that could be another clue. but my ears are shit.

greenslimer said:

to your opinion, does bono's speaking voice remind you of his singing voice much of the time?

Yes, because the same person that records the tracks Bono mimes to, also records bonos speech.

He carries around a hidden amplifier with recorded quotes / answers to questions.

He doesn't go to Africa either. He's standing in front of a blue screen. (that's why he never wears light blue)

greenslimer said:
thats why i was wondering if anyone has ever seen him sing unaccompanied, like doing something accappella by himself.. during an interview, documentary, or in person in a meeting.. and if it still sounded like him?

I can tell you this. I was so close to Bono on the last tour (in Denmark), that I could actually hear Bonos voice directly from his mouth. And I can tell you ... he sang what we heard on the speakers.

And there are a lot of videos that shows Bono singing. You have the R&H Outtakes, numerous interviews and a lot more.

ElectricalVoice: You could still hear that?! i thought that kind of stuff was filtered out when going through the PA system or something.

What do you mean R&H outtakes. the only one i know of is when they're on the bus and he's singing something there, before the show. anything else?

and when you say interviews, you mean like, not an actual performance but like sitting there in the interview chair or whatever and singing a line or two, etc?

i hope my posts dont come across sounding rude or bossy. i dont mean it to. and i think for some reason they're coming out like that.

also, can you tell from hearing bono's speaking voice that it is from the same guy who sings?

stevec said:

Christ on a bike!!!!! :banghead: Greenslimer you're taking this way too far and way too seriously. Bono sings - he's been doing it for 25 years - WE'D HAVE BLOODY NOTICED IF HE WASN'T!

I'm asking, no begging you - remove the rod from your ass and accept that he does not lip-synch!

Trust us, we've been around a bit.

Best post ever :)

Seriously though, this is ridiculous. If you spend any time at all listening to bootlegs, watching any videos (tv performances, shows, whatever), it should become extraordinarily clear very quickly. The fact that you're still questioning it makes it pretty obvious that you're just looking for a reaction.

gorman: no, i am not looking for a reaction! i would just like to know why the Wall Street Journal made some comments about such stuff the other day (its on one of the U2 sites) and fans kept talking about it and other things like it on the official board and google boards.

and, i know how some people are... they'll take up for the band and think nothing like that would happen, etc.

i am NOT looking to get a reaction. im just looking for some actual proof, thats all.

like i said, i dont care if he lip-synchs, i just wanna know if its he is the same person singing on the records... or even making his own back tracks, if he ever did...(not saying he does..)

is the bono we hear, really bono? or some other man? that is all.

and when someone started up the other day on the lip-synching thing after that article, some others were saying "isnt it odd how he sounds nothing like he does when he talks?" i kinda disagree., like if someone said HEY THATS REALLY LARRY MULLEN SINGING THE SONGS ON THE CD, i would not believe it.

Ellay said:

Yes, because the same person that records the tracks Bono mimes to, also records bonos speech.

He carries around a hidden amplifier with recorded quotes / answers to questions.

He doesn't go to Africa either. He's standing in front of a blue screen. (that's why he never wears light blue)

that would explain why he`s talking the same about the same stuff over and over again...
"This feels like our first album", etc. :wink:

Everything you know is wrong.
cheers,
dr.dae

greenslimer said:
ElectricalVoice: You could still hear that?! i thought that kind of stuff was filtered out when going through the PA system or something.

What do you mean R&H outtakes. the only one i know of is when they're on the bus and he's singing something there, before the show. anything else?

and when you say interviews, you mean like, not an actual performance but like sitting there in the interview chair or whatever and singing a line or two, etc?

also, can you tell from hearing bono's speaking voice that it is from the same guy who sings?

I will answer your questions even though I think it's obvious, and not sure if you are serious. But I've learned that there are no "stupid" questions.

Yes I could hear Bonos voice as I was right next to him when he sang. I didn't hear him through the PA. I heard him in real life as he sang - just in front of the stage. Clearly. They can't filter that, of course.

R&H outtakes. No not on the DVD on the Bus. This is on the outtakes - he and Edge are at a house on the beach and Bono sings. There are more examples from this videoes. Also on many interviews I've seen Bono sing when he sat in the chair. It's him.

And yes I think his speaking voice is very similar to his singing voice.

And it's not very likely that a person has followed U2 since their very first single and been singing instead of Bono. They couldn't afford this when they started. They weren't that big. And you must agreee that it's the same person you hear on HTDAAB that you hear on Boy?

Could post a video to really convince you.

End of proof ;)

ElectricalVoice: Okay. You arent just telling me this stuff to shut me up, right? lol.

was he actually singing on the stage or talking or doing a shout out or something..?

as for the R&H outtakes.. where can i find this on DVD or VHS?
i dont think ive ever heard of this being available before.

Thankyou for your reply.

and no, im not joking around. im actually serious unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom