biggest technical glitches of tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He missed his cue for Miracle Drug at Manchester 2.

But seriously, if you ask me the biggest "glitch" was Bono's One speech.

re: glitches

fandangamoq said:
What about the start of City of Blinding Lights not playing during Anaheim 1. Bono saying "try that slide bit here." I think edge definately turned it up a bit that time and made it sound better imho.

~A.j.~

Yes a late start there on the song for sure for ANA1 and where all the confetti was down to the arena floor well before they even got started into the song. Also think they had to recollerbrate the confetti drop for taller venues since the ceiling and ANA bldg was a much taller structure than their 1st shows for the tour San Diego and The LA Sports Arena (the warm up show).

Also at very same show a defient sound/technical glitch near the end of the main set where cost the band time and really no exit/reentry and they just rolled on thru the remaining songs appeared to some as a no encore leaving some fans disappointed.

Then for the opening in SD1 (San Diego) for "40", Edge came in late when switching sides with Adam. The next nite (SD2) Bono funny digs at him offers, "Are you with me Edge, are you with me?".

Then (I think in Denver) the side screens and rear screens failed to operate so they were out for the entire show.

Another show I saw, not recalling the city, the curtains stuck coming down for Bullet and only got them down partially.

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
Re: re: glitches

dalfan said:

Yes a late start there on the song for sure for ANA1 and where all the confetti was down to the arena floor well before they even got started into the song. Also think they had to recollerbrate the confetti drop for taller venues since the ceiling and ANA bldg was a much taller structure than their 1st shows for the tour San Diego and The LA Sports Arena (the warm up show).

Also at very same show a defient sound/technical glitch near the end of the main set where cost the band time and really no exit/reentry and they just rolled on thru the remaining songs appeared to some as a no encore leaving some fans disappointed.

Then for the opening in SD1 (San Diego) for "40", Edge came in late when switching sides with Adam. The next nite (SD2) Bono funny digs at him offers, "Are you with me Edge, are you with me?".

Then (I think in Denver) the side screens and rear screens failed to operate so they were out for the entire show.

Another show I saw, not recalling the city, the curtains stuck coming down for Bullet and only got them down partially.

Ana1 was a mess

dalfan said:

Wasn't it the second San Diego show where Adam was playing 40 in a different key to everyone else. It sounded dreadful!! They ended up grinding to a halt after the first chorus after which Bono advised of the correct notes that should be played and into the second verse they went!!

Re: Re: re: glitches

neilm said:

Wasn't it the second San Diego show where Adam was playing 40 in a different key to everyone else. It sounded dreadful!! They ended up grinding to a halt after the first chorus after which Bono advised of the correct notes that should be played and into the second verse they went!!

Yes that sounds about right. It was pretty messy too... but I could recall the exact culprit so left out mentioning that spot too.

:ohmy:

Re: Re: Re: re: glitches

dalfan said:

Yes that sounds about right. It was pretty messy too... but I could recall the exact culprit so left out mentioning that spot too.

:ohmy:

Adam is prone to the odd clanger - not so much as he was in the early days mind you!! Mind you, nobody's perfect!!

During either San Diego 1 or 2 the rest of the band kicks in to early for Elevation. There is a 1st leg show, not sure which since its been a while, I think one of the Seattle or Vancouver shows, where Adam is really f***ing things up in Vertigo, playing the verse during chorus and vice versa.

Bono having shoe problem when U2 played in Berlin last summer. I think it happened during "I Will Follow". :lol: It's not really a technical glitch...........feel like saying it anyway.

I have to say that Bono's "Is this mic on?" during the infamous 11/22 Instant Karma performance -- after U2 and Patti Smith came back on stage -- is hilarious!! Both Bono and Patti end up alternating barely audible vocals. It appears that the mic had been turned down low in the mix just after U2 had started the abrupt end to Instant Karma. They (whoever "they" are) really wanted U2 off the stage that night!!

Want proof?

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the "I have just started the verse with the wrong line so I'll just come out with an incomprehensible next line and hope nobody notices before singing the proper lyrics" situation on The Fly on the Chicago DVD...

That makes me laugh every time i hear it!

I'd have to say the biggest glitch was playing With Or Without You regularly.

:heart:

My first show + WOWY (my favourite song) = has to be.

Can't imagine anything worse than not seeing my favourite tune after so many years of waiting. Even if it was a less than stellar performance at least now I can say I have heard it live.

I don't much care for songs like Pride or BTBS, but a lot of fans go in the hope of seeing their tune.

Very true, of course. They should probably dump Pride+BTBS considering how tired they sounded this tour, though.

Shawn Bonneau said:
10/03 Larry drops the sick during Love and Peace on catwalk

SMB

The stick actually broke in half while he was playing! We were right in front of him - he dropped the broken one and played just with the good one until Rachel (the ellipse drum roadie) handed him a new one. Very quick!

I've heard all of these but I'm only counting the ones I was in attendance to:

5/17 - East Rutherford - Bono "Deciding" on his own that the boy's will play OOTS but doesn't get the message to Edge and Edge is already in next song mode of guitar. After realizing Edge gives Bono a dirty look and Bono goes over to him and gives him a hug.

10/4 - Boston - Bono's voice coming over the PA sytem during Crumbs and he definitely WASN"T singing.

12/4 - Boston - Bono sneezing during the Chorus in Pride and turning to Edge and cracking up very hatd.

Best Moment by far of the Tour for me though WASN'T a screw up at all:

12/7 - Hartford - Edge BLAZING into a uncommonly viscious solo during Pride whach caught the rest of the Band and even himself off gaurd enough where he looks over to Bono with a HUGE grin and you can see him "mouth" the word "WOW".

If anyone has the boot to Hartford - listen to this solo and let me know what you think.

dalfan said:

I can confirm something happened @ Anaheim #1. Bono said give us a minute and the boys went off stage. They worked out whatever the problem was and came back out and finished the set without any more breaks. The encore songs were included in the main set. It was a weird ending.

At Salt Lake, Bono's voice cracked right at the end of Miss Sarajevo.

Re: Re: re: glitches

southpaw_gil said:

I can confirm something happened @ Anaheim #1. Bono said give us a minute and the boys went off stage. They worked out whatever the problem was and came back out and finished the set without any more breaks. The encore songs were included in the main set. It was a weird ending.

At Salt Lake, Bono's voice cracked right at the end of Miss Sarajevo.

I forgot about Vegas #1 when Edge broke a string and all the problems in finding a guitar that worked. Bono has a good time making stuff up waiting for the Edge.

Back
Top Bottom