Best Place in the Ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trashdaveed

The Fly
Hi,

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that my incentive-laced offer for the Montreal show is not going to yield a line buddy, so I have a very quick question for everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed over and over on here, so a link would be just as good.

If, by some miracle, I end up getting scanned in, is it better near the stage, or near the tip of the ellipse?

Thanks so much!!

A front rail position is top priority. The back rail is good too, but you have to be somewhat tall (say 5'7 or better) to see everything on the main stage (granted, you get a bird's eye view of everything at the tip of the ellipse). I haven't had front rail yet, but I think it's better than back rail by far.

The middle tends to have fewer people, which allows you to roam and not have to jockey for position every five seconds if you were not front rail, but third or fourth human row back.

Bottom line, there is no bad ellipse position... just good, better, and best. :wink: Good luck in Montreal!

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I just wasn't sure if those times when Bono is out on the ellipse get a little slow because you're at the front -- also I suppose you don't see the screens as well, but I'll take your word for it. Thank you...and thanks for the best wishes for the show.

I had been lucky to get into the ellipse 4 out of 5 times. Is great to be really close but when you are too close to people they may somehow obstruct your view. If you want to see the show relaxed stay in the middle where you can move freely. You can also go to the rail where you are going to be very confortable, and you will have them in your face when they walk through the ellipse.

trashdaveed said:
Hi,

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that my incentive-laced offer for the Montreal show is not going to yield a line buddy, so I have a very quick question for everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed over and over on here, so a link would be just as good.

If, by some miracle, I end up getting scanned in, is it better near the stage, or near the tip of the ellipse?

Thanks so much!!

Hey trashdaveed, which concert are you going to? The one for saturday or sunday?

I'm going saturday. At what time will you start making the line? I'm thinking of going at around 9 am.

I'm pumped. I was listening to CHOM this morning and they pumped me up even more. Can't wait.

Hey Seconds,

Going to the Monday show, but I'm going to go as early as I can. I may see you in line though cuz I plan on going to the lineup on Saturday to ask people a few questions (like what time they got there, what they plan to do with heavy winter stuff etc.).

Have a great show! Good luck with the lottery!

Well, my 13 year old daughter Sarah and I (both hardcore fans, me for 18 years) and we had GAs for the first time (despite many past attempts) Tuesday night for the last MSG show. As we are both 5' 90lbs., I had concerns about her safety as I felt that unless we got the front rail either in or out of the ellipse, I would bring her to a spot that would have less pushing or pressing forward. We got into the GA line at 11am and were #s 107 & 108. I was blessed when my ticket scanned in, and when we entered the ellipse we saw the front rail was already full. I was about to bring my daughter to the back rail where the cool people behind us in line went, but Sarah begged to stay where we were, 2nd row closer to Adam than Bono. We had such incredibly nice people around us (including Damien from MTV) and this awesome, very tall guy in front of us let Sarah take his spot at the front rail with me right behind her; Chris, you are the BEST!!! Seeing the show from that vantage point has got to be the most incredible thing ever...and Bono pulled Sarah up on stage during Mysterious Ways for a twirl and a piggy-back ride! Needless to say, we are both still high and giddy with excitement! The front rail is just unreal, but I can't compare it to anywhere else on the floor. I know the people in line behind us love the back rail of the ellipse though, and I believe they've seen shows from several different vantage points from the floor (although they did agree that if you can get front rail...that is the place to be)! Good luck, and have a blast at the show. It is impossible to not have the time of your life!

if you can't get a spot on the rail on the main stage, i suggest two options...

a) adam's side... usually less people there for some reason... all the casual fans must wanna be closer to bono and the edge i guess

b) tip of the ellipse... great views of bono comming up for city of blinding lights, and for love and peace and any of the acoustic encores.

trashdaveed, you may still be able to meet a line buddy while on the line, I was doing GA solo on Tuesday at MSG but the person in front of me (who I did actually know from before) happened to be solo as well, so we hooked up. And her ticket beeped and we both got into the ellipse! Front rail is the place to go for but if I can't get that the back rail is my 2nd favored position - that's where I was on Tuesday, dead in front of Larry during LAPOE and just about everyone in the band at some point during the show. As a matter of fact, I had to have taken the position vacated by circa1992 and her daughter because I was right next to the people she talked about (I thought that was her originally :)) because Sarah had come back once to leave or get her coat with the woman next to me. :)

Last edited:
LyricalDrug said:
Everytime I've been in the ellipse, I just run around, following Edge and Bono. It's a lot more fun that way, and you get better vantage points.

Exactly how I was in the ellipse. Felt like I was in U2's living room. The best place to be in the ellipse? Just BE in the ellipse. :up:

circa1992 said:
Well, my 13 year old daughter Sarah and I (both hardcore fans, me for 18 years) and we had GAs for the first time (despite many past attempts) Tuesday night for the last MSG show. As we are both 5' 90lbs., I had concerns about her safety as I felt that unless we got the front rail either in or out of the ellipse, I would bring her to a spot that would have less pushing or pressing forward. We got into the GA line at 11am and were #s 107 & 108. I was blessed when my ticket scanned in, and when we entered the ellipse we saw the front rail was already full. I was about to bring my daughter to the back rail where the cool people behind us in line went, but Sarah begged to stay where we were, 2nd row closer to Adam than Bono. We had such incredibly nice people around us (including Damien from MTV) and this awesome, very tall guy in front of us let Sarah take his spot at the front rail with me right behind her; Chris, you are the BEST!!! Seeing the show from that vantage point has got to be the most incredible thing ever...and Bono pulled Sarah up on stage during Mysterious Ways for a twirl and a piggy-back ride! Needless to say, we are both still high and giddy with excitement! The front rail is just unreal, but I can't compare it to anywhere else on the floor. I know the people in line behind us love the back rail of the ellipse though, and I believe they've seen shows from several different vantage points from the floor (although they did agree that if you can get front rail...that is the place to be)! Good luck, and have a blast at the show. It is impossible to not have the time of your life!

that was your daughter? THAT'S AWESOME!! my friend and i were laughing our asses off when he put her on his back.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if you can't get a spot on the rail on the main stage, i suggest two options...

a) adam's side... usually less people there for some reason... all the casual fans must wanna be closer to bono and the edge i guess

Brilliant! I'll be there! Freaking casual fans...geewhiz. Yeah, I guess everyone clogs in front of Bono

went to the show in montreal last night. oustanding

bought general admission tickets with the hope of getting into the ellipse, but no luck trying again monday. does it matter what time you get there or is it all computerized?

thanks

alain

I have only been in the ellipse once ... the Houston show. Right by the front railing on the Edge's side of the stage. It was unbelievable! I don't see how every concert I go to from here on out could ever compare now! It's all downhill from here!

Pop Artist said:
Front rail is the place to go for but if I can't get that the back rail is my 2nd favored position - that's where I was on Tuesday, dead in front of Larry during LAPOE and just about everyone in the band at some point during the show.

I agree! I had this spot for the first Toronto show and I was very comfortable...well, until the guy next to me grabbed Larry's drumstick out of my hand!

Great views of the screens too! I felt like I was in a club and so much more comfortable than the people on the opposite side of the rail.

i_love_adam said:

Brilliant! I'll be there! Freaking casual fans...geewhiz. Yeah, I guess everyone clogs in front of Bono

twice in the garden i didn't get into the ellipse until after the opener was done... and both times i was able to walk right up to adam's side and be just one or two rows back. first time i went back to the tip of the ellipse... 'cause it was my first time in the ellipse and i wanted to get that special bono emerging on the tip for city of blinding lights right frickein in front of me goosebumpily feeling... second time i stayed by adam's side and it was a blast because they ended up doing zoo station, and bono baisicly sang the entire song right in front of me on the rail that comes out from adam's side... deffinetly kick ass.

tip of the ellipse pictures...

10/08
62042018_795c315731.jpg

10/08
52021557_cd547ff843.jpg

11/21
66219079_43405926d5.jpg

adam's side pictures...

10/10
52027848_ab0f2162a3.jpg

10/10
52026364_9fafb5f64c.jpg