Best Place in the Ellipse - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Best Place in the Ellipse

Hi,

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that my incentive-laced offer for the Montreal show is not going to yield a line buddy, so I have a very quick question for everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed over and over on here, so a link would be just as good.

If, by some miracle, I end up getting scanned in, is it better near the stage, or near the tip of the ellipse?

Thanks so much!!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 07:50 AM
A front rail position is top priority. The back rail is good too, but you have to be somewhat tall (say 5'7 or better) to see everything on the main stage (granted, you get a bird's eye view of everything at the tip of the ellipse). I haven't had front rail yet, but I think it's better than back rail by far.

The middle tends to have fewer people, which allows you to roam and not have to jockey for position every five seconds if you were not front rail, but third or fourth human row back.

Bottom line, there is no bad ellipse position... just good, better, and best. Good luck in Montreal!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
The Fly

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I just wasn't sure if those times when Bono is out on the ellipse get a little slow because you're at the front -- also I suppose you don't see the screens as well, but I'll take your word for it. Thank you...and thanks for the best wishes for the show.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
The Fly

I had been lucky to get into the ellipse 4 out of 5 times. Is great to be really close but when you are too close to people they may somehow obstruct your view. If you want to see the show relaxed stay in the middle where you can move freely. You can also go to the rail where you are going to be very confortable, and you will have them in your face when they walk through the ellipse.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
The Fly

Re: Best Place in the Ellipse

Quote:
Originally posted by trashdaveed
Hi,

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that my incentive-laced offer for the Montreal show is not going to yield a line buddy, so I have a very quick question for everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed over and over on here, so a link would be just as good.

If, by some miracle, I end up getting scanned in, is it better near the stage, or near the tip of the ellipse?

Thanks so much!!
Hey trashdaveed, which concert are you going to? The one for saturday or sunday?

I'm going saturday. At what time will you start making the line? I'm thinking of going at around 9 am.

I'm pumped. I was listening to CHOM this morning and they pumped me up even more. Can't wait.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
The Fly

Hey Seconds,

Going to the Monday show, but I'm going to go as early as I can. I may see you in line though cuz I plan on going to the lineup on Saturday to ask people a few questions (like what time they got there, what they plan to do with heavy winter stuff etc.).

Have a great show! Good luck with the lottery!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Well, my 13 year old daughter Sarah and I (both hardcore fans, me for 18 years) and we had GAs for the first time (despite many past attempts) Tuesday night for the last MSG show. As we are both 5' 90lbs., I had concerns about her safety as I felt that unless we got the front rail either in or out of the ellipse, I would bring her to a spot that would have less pushing or pressing forward. We got into the GA line at 11am and were #s 107 & 108. I was blessed when my ticket scanned in, and when we entered the ellipse we saw the front rail was already full. I was about to bring my daughter to the back rail where the cool people behind us in line went, but Sarah begged to stay where we were, 2nd row closer to Adam than Bono. We had such incredibly nice people around us (including Damien from MTV) and this awesome, very tall guy in front of us let Sarah take his spot at the front rail with me right behind her; Chris, you are the BEST!!! Seeing the show from that vantage point has got to be the most incredible thing ever...and Bono pulled Sarah up on stage during Mysterious Ways for a twirl and a piggy-back ride! Needless to say, we are both still high and giddy with excitement! The front rail is just unreal, but I can't compare it to anywhere else on the floor. I know the people in line behind us love the back rail of the ellipse though, and I believe they've seen shows from several different vantage points from the floor (although they did agree that if you can get front rail...that is the place to be)! Good luck, and have a blast at the show. It is impossible to not have the time of your life!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

if you can't get a spot on the rail on the main stage, i suggest two options...

a) adam's side... usually less people there for some reason... all the casual fans must wanna be closer to bono and the edge i guess

b) tip of the ellipse... great views of bono comming up for city of blinding lights, and for love and peace and any of the acoustic encores.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

trashdaveed, you may still be able to meet a line buddy while on the line, I was doing GA solo on Tuesday at MSG but the person in front of me (who I did actually know from before) happened to be solo as well, so we hooked up. And her ticket beeped and we both got into the ellipse! Front rail is the place to go for but if I can't get that the back rail is my 2nd favored position - that's where I was on Tuesday, dead in front of Larry during LAPOE and just about everyone in the band at some point during the show. As a matter of fact, I had to have taken the position vacated by circa1992 and her daughter because I was right next to the people she talked about (I thought that was her originally ) because Sarah had come back once to leave or get her coat with the woman next to me.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Everytime I've been in the ellipse, I just run around, following Edge and Bono. It's a lot more fun that way, and you get better vantage points.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Gunslinger

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
Everytime I've been in the ellipse, I just run around, following Edge and Bono. It's a lot more fun that way, and you get better vantage points.
Exactly how I was in the ellipse. Felt like I was in U2's living room. The best place to be in the ellipse? Just BE in the ellipse.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by circa1992
Well, my 13 year old daughter Sarah and I (both hardcore fans, me for 18 years) and we had GAs for the first time (despite many past attempts) Tuesday night for the last MSG show. As we are both 5' 90lbs., I had concerns about her safety as I felt that unless we got the front rail either in or out of the ellipse, I would bring her to a spot that would have less pushing or pressing forward. We got into the GA line at 11am and were #s 107 & 108. I was blessed when my ticket scanned in, and when we entered the ellipse we saw the front rail was already full. I was about to bring my daughter to the back rail where the cool people behind us in line went, but Sarah begged to stay where we were, 2nd row closer to Adam than Bono. We had such incredibly nice people around us (including Damien from MTV) and this awesome, very tall guy in front of us let Sarah take his spot at the front rail with me right behind her; Chris, you are the BEST!!! Seeing the show from that vantage point has got to be the most incredible thing ever...and Bono pulled Sarah up on stage during Mysterious Ways for a twirl and a piggy-back ride! Needless to say, we are both still high and giddy with excitement! The front rail is just unreal, but I can't compare it to anywhere else on the floor. I know the people in line behind us love the back rail of the ellipse though, and I believe they've seen shows from several different vantage points from the floor (although they did agree that if you can get front rail...that is the place to be)! Good luck, and have a blast at the show. It is impossible to not have the time of your life!
that was your daughter? THAT'S AWESOME!! my friend and i were laughing our asses off when he put her on his back.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:09 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
if you can't get a spot on the rail on the main stage, i suggest two options...

a) adam's side... usually less people there for some reason... all the casual fans must wanna be closer to bono and the edge i guess
Brilliant! I'll be there! Freaking casual fans...geewhiz. Yeah, I guess everyone clogs in front of Bono
Old 11-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Babyface

went to the show in montreal last night. oustanding

bought general admission tickets with the hope of getting into the ellipse, but no luck trying again monday. does it matter what time you get there or is it all computerized?

thanks

alain
Old 11-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Babyface

I have only been in the ellipse once ... the Houston show. Right by the front railing on the Edge's side of the stage. It was unbelievable! I don't see how every concert I go to from here on out could ever compare now! It's all downhill from here!