Best part of the tour to see u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best part of the tour to see u2

• 1st leg - early shows

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 1st leg - later shows

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • 2nd leg - early shows

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 2nd leg - later shows

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • 3rd leg - early shows

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • 3rd leg - middle shows

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • 3rd leg - later shows

Votes: 27 21.8%

• Total voters
I can't vote yet as I haven't seen them yet durring the later part of the third leg. I saw them in Vancouver(early 1st leg) and I saw them in the early part of the third leg in New York. I have to say I enjoyed the shows in Vancouver better but I think that ahd more to do with my seats than actual shows. We'll see. I'm hoping Portland kicks ass on them all but I doubt aything will ever beat the second night in Vancouver. I was inside the elipse and had to move my beer off Bono's platform when COBL came on so he could get up the stairs. that was cool.

I beleive the best place to see a show in North America is Montreal. The November 28th show was awesome. My reference points are Toronto 3 and 4, NYC October 8th, and Ottawa. NYC was a close second.

I think on *this* tour, the beginning of the third leg was in fact the best time to see them. But that's not trend at all... Elevation and Popmart both had nothing really exciting happening in the third leg, in fact the second leg was probably the best time to see either of those tours.

tommycharles said:
I think on *this* tour, the beginning of the third leg was in fact the best time to see them. But that's not trend at all... Elevation and Popmart both had nothing really exciting happening in the third leg, in fact the second leg was probably the best time to see either of those tours.

What was so exciting about the 2nd leg of Popmart over the third leg that made it so much better? I think the third and fourth legs of Popmart were the best legs of that tour. :shrug:

Elevation I agree somewhat, but alot of that had to do with 911. First and second leg of Elevation were about the same really. Third, fourth and fifth legs of Zoo were better than 1 and 2 IMO also. So going back to 92 I think there is more of a trend that shows the later legs are at least a little better.

Blue Room said:

What was so exciting about the 2nd leg of Popmart over the third leg that made it so much better? I think the third and fourth legs of Popmart were the best legs of that tour. :shrug:

I don't really see much differentiation between any of the four legs of Popmart, but the second leg did have the tour debuts of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bad. :shrug:

I am choosing to go with 3rd leg, but I won't decide whether beginning, middle or end of 3rd leg till after the Portland show. It might be a bust, it could be phenomenol......will just have to wait and see. Of the shows I have seen, Vegas2 was fantastic....wish I'd been in Boston......

Axver said:

I don't really see much differentiation between any of the four legs of Popmart, but the second leg did have the tour debuts of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bad. :shrug:

What show did they play Bad on the 2nd leg of Popmart? SBS was done ONE time on the 2nd leg. It was a staple on the third. So if SBS being done was a bid deal, the third leg is better by default IMO. I say third and fourth leg were better because U2 had the show down and the songs down better at that point. Plus they figured out a good way to do All I Want Is You on the third leg (got that version down at that point) and also the same with Desire.

Blue Room said:

What show did they play Bad on the 2nd leg of Popmart?

Well, it's listed as played on 1997-09-13 in Barcelona, but now that I've checked other sets from the leg, I think that's probably meant to be a snippet as it's listed as merely an AIWIY snippet on 1997-08-31, Dublin and 1997-09-15, Montpellier.

Not having bootlegs from then, I don't know. :shrug:

SBS was done ONE time on the 2nd leg. It was a staple on the third. So if SBS being done was a bid deal, the third leg is better by default IMO. I say third and fourth leg were better because U2 had the show down and the songs down better at that point. Plus they figured out a good way to do All I Want Is You on the third leg (got that version down at that point) and also the same with Desire.

I tend to think of the debut of SBS as much more exciting than it being a static set element, but then again, I'm really thinking of this "best part of the tour" question in terms of how good the setlist was, and as it barely changed over Popmart, the question's pretty moot.

Axver said:

I tend to think of the debut of SBS as much more exciting than it being a static set element, but then again, I'm really thinking of this "best part of the tour" question in terms of how good the setlist was, and as it barely changed over Popmart, the question's pretty moot.

i would think you'd have to factor in how well the band is playing. they could mix up the setlists but play the songs like shit and have a great setlist, or have a static setlist and have the songs down pat every night putting on an electrifying show. id rather have the latter.

Bad was a snippet on the end of AIWIY in Barcelona. Bono sang Wide Awake, twice, I'm not sleeping, twice and then sang "If you twist and turn away" thats it. I dont count that as Bad being played personally. Maybe you do, but that snippet doesnt qualify the 2nd leg as being better. If anything it makes the 4th leg better because they played the full band version of the song.

Blue Room said:
Bad was a snippet on the end of AIWIY in Barcelona. Bono sang Wide Awake, twice, I'm not sleeping, twice and then sang "If you twist and turn away" thats it. I dont count that as Bad being played personally. Maybe you do, but that snippet doesnt qualify the 2nd leg as being better. If anything it makes the 4th leg better because they played the full band version of the song.

Ha, no way in hell does that count as a full performance. Thanks for clarifying. :)

I definitely like the fact it was played in full on the fourth leg. But going just on setlists, Popmart changed so little that I don't think I have a preference for any leg. Adding in the quality of the band's performance, the later shows definitely come out on top.

Blue Room said:

Elevation I agree somewhat, but alot of that had to do with 911. First and second leg of Elevation were about the same really. Third, fourth and fifth legs of Zoo were better than 1 and 2 IMO also. So going back to 92 I think there is more of a trend that shows the later legs are at least a little better.

Well the second leg of Popmart still had Miami, and it didn't have the awful version of Desire. And I wasn't a fan of Popmart SBS at all.

Elevation... I don't know, it just really seemed to click in Europe. The 3rd leg sets were boring, and the 1st leg was... I dunno, just working the kinks out.

End of 2nd leg. That was when I saw them and it was fucking amazing :drool:

Maybe also the early shows of 3rd leg because of the new songs played

Back
Top Bottom