Best city to see U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloserToKnowing

Acrobat
Hello all!
I live near Cincinnati and usually catch U2 in the usual nearby suspects - - Columbus, Cleveland, Indianapolis;
I was considering flying down to Miami for opening night, or possibly going to the final show on the 1st leg.

Does anyone have advise on the best place to see them?
I've never been out west so that's a possibility too...

thx

Well, as far as "loudness", I don't think it gets much louder than Montreal....Bono's always putting his hands to his ears (and laughing) because of the noise Montreal fans can make!!

That's definitely why I'll be seeing them there again on this tour.

We saw him in 3 venues last time; LA, Anaheim and Las Vegas Thomas and Mack Center at UNLV....that was the loudest but smallest of the 3...I want to see a show at Madison Square Garden just because......:up:

I think the opening show in Miami would be awesome, to be the 1st show on the tour...I saw them at Madison Square Garden on the first show in NY after 9/11....it was pretty amazing; I just read somewhere that that show was the inspiration for City of Blinding Lights....

but yeah, no matter where you go it will be amazing!!

lauren430 said:
I think the opening show in Miami would be awesome, to be the 1st show on the tour...I saw them at Madison Square Garden on the first show in NY after 9/11....it was pretty amazing; I just read somewhere that that show was the inspiration for City of Blinding Lights....

but yeah, no matter where you go it will be amazing!!

Yes, I was at that show too (NYC, Oct. 24/01) - fantastic!!

Anyhow, I think U2 has a history of not being very tight on their first few dates (Las Vegas during Popmart, Florida last time around) which is why I'm not very keen on attending the Miami show - I'm going to wait at least a month into the tour so the songs are played the way they deserve to be played!

hmmm best place...i've only seen U2 in florida or NYC/NJ...but NYC was really great, but so is miami. they are both great places to see them.

I say this with no axe to gring because I'm European but as US cities go I would single out Chicago where they seem to enjoy and obviously NY. This unfortunately is based only on boots I've heard.

Last edited:
Chicago

In an interview after the Popmart tour Bono was asked his favorite place to play and he said Chicago. Chicago is where he got the inspiration for the Unforgettable Fire after touring the Peace Museum. It was also the highest grossing city in terms of $$ and city they played most often on the last tour. The shows are unbelievable. I've seen them in quite a few places around the country and nowhere compares, in my opinion.

ladywithspinninghead said:
Well, as far as "loudness", I don't think it gets much louder than Montreal....Bono's always putting his hands to his ears (and laughing) because of the noise Montreal fans can make!!

That's definitely why I'll be seeing them there again on this tour.

Montreal is, no doubt. Bono said last tour that they have a thingamajig backstage that measures crowd loudness. He said Montreal is the loudest on the tour. There was a reason they came back for a third show on the third leg. :wink:

I've been to a great many of the western U.S. shows and I have to say that Oakland Colesium is one of the smaller arenas, sound is great, but so is the San Jose Shark Tank.

Re: Chicago

bconn11 said:
In an interview after the Popmart tour Bono was asked his favorite place to play and he said Chicago. Chicago is where he got the inspiration for the Unforgettable Fire after touring the Peace Museum. It was also the highest grossing city in terms of $$ and city they played most often on the last tour. The shows are unbelievable. I've seen them in quite a few places around the country and nowhere compares, in my opinion.

Bono is also very fond of Chicago for how well they embraced Popmart. The band also has a great working relationship with XRT as far as I've heard.

U2 always put on a good show, but they're notorious for giving exceptional performances in these cities:

Boston
New York
Chicago
Montreal
San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, San Jose, and SF)
Denver
Dublin
Sydney
London

Also, they always get better as a tour progresses. It's fun to see them on opening night, but they usually don't play as well then as they do once they're really warmed up, after a couple months on the road.

Back
Top Bottom