Banners removed from stadium in Milan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi U2Man :wave:

You can read it on the first page of the site you linked:
http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com / www.u2005.com

Here it is:

Interesting side note: Some banners people had put up on the stands disappeared before the show started. Among them was one that said "Who is Bob?", another one that complained about tickets (something like "U2 TKTS - What a shame") and one that showed Bono as pope. Some of them can be found in our gallery.

Thanks Miringeltje.....can't seem to find these banners in the pictures, though, except the one with Bono and Papa written on it. Haven't U2 got a sense of humour? It's a funny thing, a band that tells everyone else to be tolerant and so on can't handle a few harmless jokes about themselves....:tsk:

Well, first of all I don't think that a banner with 'Who Is Bob' is that funny (since Bono's dad's name was Bob).
Second, I think they removed those banners so they wouldn't (possible) show up on the DVD. U2 may have found it funny to compare Bono to the pope, but you know that there are many small-minded people who would scream sacriledge if they know it's visible on some recording. So then why not avoid the controversy in the first place? :)

Popmartijn said:
Well, first of all I don't think that a banner with 'Who Is Bob' is that funny (since Bono's dad's name was Bob).
Second, I think they removed those banners so they wouldn't (possible) show up on the DVD. U2 may have found it funny to compare Bono to the pope, but you know that there are many small-minded people who would scream sacriledge if they know it's visible on some recording. So then why not avoid the controversy in the first place? :)

I see your point. The 'Who is Bob' is certainly disrespectful and inappropriate, although I do think that Bono is mentioning his father a bit too much all the time at the moment.....

The thing about avoiding the controversy in the first place is a tricky business....because how far should one allow people to go? Should they remove every single banner on the stadium that might offend some person somewhere in the world? Censorship....one should always be careful about that one.....:shrug:

Although it's not clear when the "who is bob?" banner was displayed, it's possible that banner was in response to "hi bob" from the first Milan show. Some people may not have known who bob was...

MTEdge said:
Although it's not clear when the "who is bob?" banner was displayed, it's possible that banner was in response to "hi bob" from the first Milan show. Some people may not have known who bob was...

In that case, these people tried to be humouristic, after all.....although it still isn't funny if you know who Bob was.....

Last edited:
Here is an image of the Bob banner. This is a crop of another image since i did not captured that one since this was hilarious...
BTW, this banner was removed much earlier than the others mentioned and the people pulling it looked like fans. I think i have no pic of the "tickets a shame" banner but it was there.

http :// www . u2005 . com/2005-07-21_17-28-33_CIMG2332.jpg
(remove the spaces from the URL; i'm not allowed to post links here)

Matthias

"This is a crop of another image since i did not captured that one since this was hilarious..."

:confused:

Last edited:
Whats up with the girl showing off her underwear ? I didn't know they had trailer parks in Italy.

Miringeltje said:
Hi U2Man :wave:

You can read it on the first page of the site you linked:
http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com / www.u2005.com

Here it is:

Interesting side note: Some banners people had put up on the stands disappeared before the show started. Among them was one that said "Who is Bob?", another one that complained about tickets (something like "U2 TKTS - What a shame") and one that showed Bono as pope. Some of them can be found in our gallery.

Oh yes, "who is Bob?" is classic comedy.
As is rubbing in the tickets fiasco - which U2 corrected and apologised for months ago.
Bono-pope one? In Italy of all places? I don't think so.

Did they cover all of the stadiums indoor advertising?

The Bono/Pope one is a little aguable - especially since the group laughed at a similar joke in the Diane Sawyer interview.

I wonder if the security actually KEPT all the unusable banners? Many fans just put them in place as the gates open then sitdown a small distance away.

u2fp

Thanks God some people I know put the Amnesty International banner, so the world won't think Italians are assholes...

U2FanPeter said:
Look on the brightside, at least all of the "ugly" U2 fans were allowed to get close to the stage for this filming!!!!!

u2fp

U2 would never discriminate against people in this way.........

:wink:

Surely someone who's a big enough fan to go out and make a banner wouldn't intentionally write an insulting message would they..

Reckon there's a reasoning behind it we just aren't getting!?

Quite like the pope one though, I have to admit.

Back
Top Bottom