Australian Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewCowley

Refugee
So we are now in November and still no announcement. Anyknow know what gives? If they are to tour Australia in February / March then surely tickets should have gone on sale already. This is really starting to depress me.......

I definitely don't think it's too late for an announcement. After all, the first leg of Vertigo began in March after being announced in late January.

I really would be expecting something this month, though.

OMG i so hope its not to late...

my birthday is around the pencilled in dates for Sydney shows. so i have told all my friends that my 21st part will be cancelled if U2 is playing. that of course is dependant on them coming to syd, and me getting tickets... i can hope...

I really do hope we get the news sooner rather than latter. but i suppose as long as we don’t know, there is always hope they will tour...

At what time last year did we start hearing that arenas / stadiums had been booked ahead of the tour?

It was certainly well before the official announcement.

If the same has been done in NZ/Oz then that would give us a pretty clear idea if it's going to happen.

Someone in Zootopia said that u2 have signed the dotted line for March 06 according to U2s promoter.

Assuming they do not do Europe again (?) - I would prefer if they held off til next July - when I might possibly go on holiday to Aus!

There are constant rumors on U2tours.com from certain articles that there will be gigs in Mexico and South America next year, but so far no mention of Australai.

kind of sucks, they deserve it more than anyone after not getting the Elevation tour.

djerdap said:
There are constant rumors on U2tours.com from certain articles that there will be gigs in Mexico and South America next year, but so far no mention of Australai.

don't play with me :drool:

Gen. Chat said:
I assume that if they do tour Australia the band would play stadiums. Just out of curiosity which cities would be able to support a stadium show?

Actually, the rumours have mainly pointed towards arenas.

Sydney and Melbourne could definitely support stadium shows - whether others could is debatable. Adelaide's poor ZooTV performance and Brisbane's poor Popmart performance may make the band wary of stadiums down here.

These rumours of a promoter going to the states and signing really have picked up in the last 2 weeks. It could be because it has actually happened. :ohmy:

This thread may actually come in handy in the next few weeks I hope. In the meantime if you can wade through the diatribe there is every rumour about the band in the Australia 2007-2020 thread.

Gen. Chat said:
I assume that if they do tour Australia the band would play stadiums. Just out of curiosity which cities would be able to support a stadium show?

I will be angry if so. I want to see them in the intimacy of an arena. Stadiums are cold and sterile. From my experience (eg. PopMart Sydney) people's attention just isn't there in a stadium. After the "bang" of the band arriving on stage people just stand around and generally aren't into it. This might just be a "feature" of Australian crowds (there was a thread on this a few months back). And in an interview earlier this year done for Australian TV Bono talked about coming here and doing arenas; his words were to the effect of we missed out on Elevation and that was an arena tour so we deserve arenas since the rest of the world has had this. But I fear if time and money rule the decision making then we'll get short changed again.

AndrewCowley said:

This might just be a "feature" of Australian crowds (there was a thread on this a few months back).

Yeah. I think we established Australian crowds are a lot more laid back than most countries, but the chairs at PopMart didn't help either. :yes:

Maybe I'm reading too much into in, but in today's Herald-Sun newspaper in Melbourne the trainer of the Melbourne Cup winner spoke to Bono over the phone last night and he stated that "next time he is in Melbourne" he would like to meet the great racehorse Makybe Diva who yesterday won her third Cup in a row.

I'm tipping that "next time" is March 06.

They could easily do a dozen or so sold out dates in arenas and it’s strange that we haven’t heard anything from the band or management why such a large English speaking market is getting bypassed, again. If there’s a reason I’d like to know.

timothius said:

but the chairs at PopMart didn't help either. :yes:

Chairs?... CHAIRS? :mad: .... how can you see a concert WITH CHAIRS, you lazy bastards :censored: :rant: :sad:

maybe because of that they're not coming :hmm:

:wink:

wbritn said:
Maybe I'm reading too much into in, but in today's Herald-Sun newspaper in Melbourne the trainer of the Melbourne Cup winner spoke to Bono over the phone last night and he stated that "next time he is in Melbourne" he would like to meet the great racehorse Makybe Diva who yesterday won her third Cup in a row.

I'm tipping that "next time" is March 06.

Dude, seriously? That amuses the hell our of me. :lmao:

Axver said:
I definitely don't think it's too late for an announcement. After all, the first leg of Vertigo began in March after being announced in late January.

I really would be expecting something this month, though.

Oh give up Axver
they aren't coming!

Last tour they announced U2 were coming in July for a February Performance. Tickets went on sale in Sep/Oct.
They aren't coming.. it's too late to add another tour now.

:madspit:

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Oh give up Axver
they aren't coming!

Last tour they announced U2 were coming in July for a February Performance. Tickets went on sale in Sep/Oct.
They aren't coming.. it's too late to add another tour now.

:madspit:

I can't wait for you to eat your words.

U2 seem fairly certain to be coming here. Check out the thread on the Tour Dates forum. Some have said that an Australian promoter just returned from the US after U2 signed on the dotted line to tour.

U2FanPeter said:
U2 should do an smaller venue tour of Australia, if only because it's the first arena tour there in 16 years. First ever in NZ(?)

u2fp

U2 played indoors in NZ in 1984 and outdoors in 1989 and 1993.

Also, Popmart technically had an arena venue - Popmart Perth was indoors at the Burswood Dome.

Axver said:

U2 seem fairly certain to be coming here. Check out the thread on the Tour Dates forum. Some have said that an Australian promoter just returned from the US after U2 signed on the dotted line to tour.

haha that will be easy.. I eat my words all the time cause they come out my mouth hahaha

Axver said:

It's not in the U$$$A or We$$$tern Europe.

So soooooooooooooo true.

Even with all their mi££ions (made up from Aussie fans money too) Mr Paul McGuinness won't do it if it's not going to profit him (cough) I mean the band (cough again).

I don't resent the band their money - no way, they deserve EVERY penny (well, maybe not for one album) - but they do tend to shit on our antipodean cousins and our friends south of North America.

Money is one thing, but respect is another.

It's 'funny' how thousands of fans are expected to scrimp and save to fly halfway round the world just to see their heroes when those heroes with (granted) a big crew can't be bothered flying out to see them in their luxury jet liner.

It's easy to get mad at U2, but I'm not because I'm fortunate to live in the UK and we can get AS MUCH AS SIX (extreme coughing) concerts WOO HOO (not) - I'm not counting Dublin gigs as they aren't part of the UK - ...and, and , and compete with thousands of English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish fans AS WELL AS thousands of fans from all over the world (not to mention touts) on crappy tickets sites and out-dated phone lines just to get a crappy seat RIGHT at the back of the stadium next to some drunken nobhead spitting the lyrics all over the back of your neck while dripping his lager on your (expensive) tour t-shirt and you still have the pleasure of seeing the band (like ants in the distance) and listening to a 'how the fuck does the sound sound so shitty when the band have spent thousands on hi-tech equipment and have sound-checked all day' distorted wall of noise.

After snarling all that, if they tour the Uk tomorrow then I'd step on my granny for a ticket - U2 fans eh, we're ALL fucking masochists!

They still might tour down under - and even more so if the 'rumoured' mini album thing is true ( oops, have I let something slip ;) ).

Axver said:

How reliable is that information though?

IF the tour goes beyond Portland they will come to Australia. I dont know if its been decided for certain if they are extending the tour. I wont be shocked either way. I hope Australia gets them as they deserve to.

Back
Top Bottom