Australian Fans lets rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davmar

The Fly
Heard on Sunrise Channel 7 this morning that David Koch is a big U2 fan and in his own words said he would pay anything to see them live. He also mentioned raising it with Molly Meldrum and starting a petition to get them to tour Australia.

Maybe we should bombard the sunrise website (not sure what the link is - can someone help?) to get him to ensure the petition gets going ASAP as they love fighting for a cause on this program.

This might also get U2 in the news a bit and some action to finally get them to come to Australia.

Anyone with me?

I'll do anything to bring U2 to Australia - AND NEW ZEALAND!

Just tell me what to do and it will be done.

the concert costs like $1 million US a night to run, plus the cost of shipping/flying the equipment to australia, they'd need to sell out like 5 stadium shows to break even

edit: i don't want to sound like a loser, i'd really like to see U2 go to australia again because ZOO TV from Sydney is one of my favourite concerts that i have (dirty day :drool: ) but i'm just trying to throw some light onto the situation

Last edited:
im there

Kochie went to the point of mentioning Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe purchased a U2 guitar at an auction recently....even Thorpie loves the boys! ;)

Thats ok because i love thorpie and the boys too lol

A petition is a great idea (even if they are coming regardless) to show how much we want them back on aussie ground, come on sunrise!

They WERE initially planning on coming here in December, it's just they gave the US priority, so it's not as if they aren't even considering it.

And they aren't exactly cash-strapped. So what if they lose a few thousand? Look at how much they are going to make in the US and Europe, and the joy they will bring to thousands of people here. Isn't that worth more than making a buck?

Axver said:
They WERE initially planning on coming here in December, it's just they gave the US priority, so it's not as if they aren't even considering it.

And they aren't exactly cash-strapped. So what if they lose a few thousand? Look at how much they are going to make in the US and Europe, and the joy they will bring to thousands of people here. Isn't that worth more than making a buck?

First, they didnt give the U.S. priority. They had to move shows that were already planned to the third leg.

Second, they are planning to go to Australia, they will not make money by playing there most likely. I believe their plan is to break even. For an artist of U2's caliber though to have to pay to play is ridiculous. Touring is marketing and money even for U2. This is why Elevation did not make it to Australia. Touring costs at the time in Australia were VERY high. I think they supposedly came down some though. So I think U2 will make an effort to play Australia, dont count on New Zealand though. The Zoo shows there were poor sellers also and that was a HUGE tour.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

First, they didnt give the U.S. priority. They had to move shows that were already planned to the third leg.

Second, they are planning to go to Australia, they will not make money by playing there most likely. I believe their plan is to break even. For an artist of U2's caliber though to have to pay to play is ridiculous. Touring is marketing and money even for U2. This is why Elevation did not make it to Australia. Touring costs at the time in Australia were VERY high. I think they supposedly came down some though. So I think U2 will make an effort to play Australia, dont count on New Zealand though. The Zoo shows there were poor sellers also and that was a HUGE tour.

According to another poster here, U2 were pretty solid on touring Australia in December until they chose to give priority to US venues not played on the first leg. I think this one is all viewpoint - those who believe U2 play too much in the US will spin it one way, those who believe otherwise will spin it another.

I agree with what you say about how touring is about money - I'm sure you've seen some of the posts I've made here in the past about how U2 tour to make a profit. So I'm caught in a bit of a conflict of emotions, as U2 hasn't played ANYWHERE in the Southern Hemisphere or Asia since 1998. I'm sure you understand where I am coming from - the clash of tour realities versus something that is satisfying, if not profitable. I do feel that as they are already making an incredible profit this year, they can afford to bring the tour to other parts of the world, because even if the shows only break even rather than profit, the tour is still doing extremely well and can support taking the show to more 'farflung' fans.

And yeah, poor NZ will probably be missed out, as they have only sold out one stadium show (1st Auckland Lovetown) out of a total of six. However, big bands have been playing the new stadium in Wellington - I think I recall my father saying he went to a Bob Dylan gig there - so if they just play ONE gig in the whole country, they could probably sell out Wellington. Whether or not that would cover costs and allow them to break even, though ... I've no idea.

Last edited:
THEY WILL BE HERE.

Jan 15 onwards they will tour Oz and Japan. Australia is one of their fav places.

It will be the same time they begining working on the new 'quick' release album.

bazza said:
THEY WILL BE HERE.

Jan 15 onwards they will tour Oz and Japan. Australia is one of their fav places.

It will be the same time they begining working on the new 'quick' release album.

absolutely it is one of their favorite places. Think about the Under Australian Skies Tours and The Lovetown Tour plus the ZooTV Sydney video. Not to mention the connection with New Zealand through Greg Carrol. (One Tree Hill) They've gotta play down under.

bazza said:
THEY WILL BE HERE.

Can you confirm this? Or is this just speculation?

(And if they play a gig on 17 January, my birthday, I will not only die of joy, but resurrect myself and pay as much as it costs to be in the FRONT FUCKIN' ROW. Especially because the closest U2 has ever played to my birthday before is 10 January [1990, Rotterdam] and 23 January [1985, Drammen].)

Well as far as I can recall U2 is planning on playing down under this tour. The speculation was it was originally planned for december I believe, but because everything was pushed back about a month, Australia was pushed back as well. They probably just haven't announced it officially yet guys. I wouldn't worry too much. I would assume late January. I'm crossing my fingers as I have never been down under and passed up going to Dublin in hopes of making it across the big blue ocean to Australia this time around!

The main issue here for January is Melbourne shows - U2 are yet to retract the original statement that they will play Japan and Australia - however they have also stated they are playing indoors - arenas. So with Rod Laver Arena unusable in January due t the Australian Open and then the venue being 'blacked out' so it can be fitted out for the Commonwealth Games events in early February (they need about 6 weeks - new scoreboards, buntings and some seat replacements as well as a new floor), the main Melb venue is not going to be available. So will Melbourne get the Telstra Dome or perhaps the Music Bowl?

Vodafone is too small for U2 - 8,000 capacity.

As for if they will tour at all - they havent said they have dropped Japan and Australia - so until they do, its still on.

Patience my convict friends.... It will happen...It will happen...

Aside from Bris, Syd, Melb... id much rather see U2 hit up NZ than the towns off the east coast.

The NZ boots around clearly have a better vibe going on than most empathatic vibe on most Australian ones...

Bring on a good Aucks -> Hamilton -> Te Awamutu -> New Plymouth -> Wellington -> Christchurch -> Duniden -> Queenstown -> Invercargill tour.

Please play Australia. Please reduce airfare. Please don't let me be eaten by a shark. Please don't let me get a 3rd degree sunburn. Please. Please. Get up off your knees.

What are you lookin at?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom