Australian crowds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beli said:
"The trip includes a 5 day Adventure holiday to Mt Ruapehu plus flights from the nearest capital city, accommodation, car hire and adventure actitivities. The prize is valud up to $12,00"

Second prize

"A trip for two to Brisbane to see the Ten Tenors in concert"

:lol: but don't sing. :mad:

Mt Ruapehu is too far away from Auckland and too close to Wellington. :down:

Ten tenors however :yes:

beli said:

Bummer about the Mark Seymour. I would have loved to have seen that. :drool:

Seymour brothers :up:.

I'm totally digging The Hunnas lately, after seeing their HOF performances (I've always been kind of into them Under One Roof is great) - I'm digging back.

I still prefer Nick though. :reject:

timothius said:
That reminds me of me & my mate after the last Bledisloe we won. We heckled (bordered on harrassment) various Australians basically saying "come on Australia let's sing waltzing matilda now....no I didn't think so you !@#$%ing fairweather north shore poofs etc etc There's power in the black jersey!" :love:

Memories, memories.

Tim, you rock so much.

When we've won the Bledisloe (and I've been watching on TV), I've been known to go outside into the still quiet night air and yell things along the lines of "GO NEW ZEALAND! TAKE THAT, AUSTRALIA!"

What did they open with Axver? Anything Can Happen or Part Of Me Part Of You?

Part Of Me, Part Of You, and I think Anything Can Happen closed the main set. If it didn't close the main set, it was really close to the end of it anyway.

Suffer Never --> Time For A Change was so gorgeous in the encore.

Austrlaian Crowds :down:

U2 shouldn't come I've decided.

Honestly, after that shitty crowd, I've had that thought too. U2 would hate that kind of crowd; as they've said in the past, "give more to us so we can give more back to you", they thrive off the crowd's energy. A U2 show with everyone sitting still like a bunch of cardboard cutouts would be flat.

Though damnit, I'd be dancing and making sure everyone else is doing a little more than looking like stuffed dolls. :angry:

I liked Mark first. Talking to a Stranger is still one of my favourite songs ever ever. I still have it on vinyl. :drool:

Nicks pretty cool too.

I'm hoping to get to some more concerts in the next 12 months. I havent been to any in ages (apart from Youssou N'Dour, Neil Diamond, and the Prague Chamber Orchestra :drool: )

I'm trying to remember the set ...

Part Of Me, Part Of You
Bold As Brass?
Message To My Girl
Poor Boy
Edible Flowers
... goodness, no, I can't do it. Absolutely awesome setlist, though! One or two more new songs than I expected. We got Part Of Me, Part Of You, Edible Flowers, Won't Give In, Nothing Wrong With You, Disembodied Voices, and Anything Can Happen.

Axver said:

Tim, you rock so much.

Honestly, after that shitty crowd, I've had that thought too. U2 would hate that kind of crowd; as they've said in the past, "give more to us so we can give more back to you", they thrive off the crowd's energy. A U2 show with everyone sitting still like a bunch of cardboard cutouts would be flat.

Though damnit, I'd be dancing and making sure everyone else is doing a little more than looking like stuffed dolls. :angry:

Thats nothing compared to my Warratahs/Crusaders story. :drool:

Exactly right, live performance is a two-way thing. I don't get it either because the Australian music scene has essentailly been built on live performances (Oils, Hunters, Enz, INXS) but then the show pony types arrived (INXS, Minogue et al) and I think the dichotomy changed.

You got Give It A Whirl. I hate you :happy:

beli said:
I liked Mark first. Talking to a Stranger is still one of my favourite songs ever ever. I still have it on vinyl. :drool:

Nicks pretty cool too.

I'm hoping to get to some more concerts in the next 12 months. I havent been to any in ages (apart from Youssou N'Dour, Neil Diamond, and the Prague Chamber Orchestra :drool: )

I have When The River Runs Dry 12" single. :hyper:

There is no doubt that Mark is the better singer/songwriter/musician. But I really dig Nick's artwork & humour & his band affiliation. :wink:

To call your last 3 concerts varied would be an understatement. :yes: Is there much coming out to Australia though really? All that I've wanted to see this year has come & gone... Seymour & co/Shihad/Finn Bros./WaveAid.

You're waiting for the new INXS tour arent you :wink:

beli said:
INXS were not show ponies. They were bloody brilliant live. :mad:

From what I see, the went it a bit that way. I've seen a bit of stuff from the early ninties onwards and it was really uncomfortable for me to watch them take themselves that seriously. Take for example the 97??? Aria performance :tsk:

Don't get me wrong they were great live... Live Baby Live etc it's all great, Hutch had his way with the ladies I get that. But there is a certian degree of personability that is needed to perfrom live on stage & I think they were losing it toward the end.

timothius said:

From what I see, the went it a bit that way. I've seen a bit of stuff from the early ninties onwards and it was really uncomfortable for me to watch them take themselves that seriously. Take for example the 97??? Aria performance :tsk:

Don't get me wrong they were great live... Live Baby Live etc it's all great, Hutch had his way with the ladies I get that. But there is a certian degree of personability that is needed to perfrom live on stage & I think they were losing it toward the end.

I didn't see them at the end, I saw them in the 80's. :drool:

timothius said:

Thats nothing compared to my Warratahs/Crusaders story. :drool:

Exactly right, live performance is a two-way thing. I don't get it either because the Australian music scene has essentailly been built on live performances (Oils, Hunters, Enz, INXS) but then the show pony types arrived (INXS, Minogue et al) and I think the dichotomy changed.

You got Give It A Whirl. I hate you :happy:

Oooh, story! :hyper: And we got some really awesome stuff last night, but I wish I could remember the set! :mad:

I don't even try to fathom why the audiences are the way they are. Why not just stay home and wait for a DVD to come out? It was like these people were just watching some DVD on the big screen.

:lol: OK then, I'll leave it up to my imagination! :wink:

A setlist would really help me put all my memories in order! It's such a jumbled chaotic mass right now! I was very surprised that they didn't play songs like Weather With You or Don't Dream It's Over, but not disappointed at all - what I got was incredible, and for me Six Months was worth the price of admission alone.

And oh goodness, that horse at the start was so bloody funny. The onstage banter was great too. One part went a bit like this:

Neil: Only horses eat flowers.
*someone in the crowd yells out something*
Tim in reference to it: Horse ate my trousers, that's a really lateral connection there.
Neil: No, Tim, it's a line from my solo career.
Tim: Oh ... yeah ... I knew that. Just testing you.

No anal induction this time, though. :wink:

Thats funny stuff!

Does Neil still have slippery shoes? You will either think I'm the wierdest person ever or totally get me.

"It would be quite cosmic!" :lmao:

I think it speaks volumes of them & U2 & a few other bands that they can drop their most famous song (WOWY & DIDO) and still no one feels that they've missed it. Deep catalogues :drool:

I'm really suprised no WWY, without having all the setlists infront of me that may well have been the first time thats happened all tour - that is quite frankly wierd.

Nope, don't know what you're talking about with the slippery shoes comment. And hah, the photo bit was great. Neil was talking about a random thought he'd had, about how modern cameras flash before they actually take the photo, and then made the cosmic comment.

I didn't recognise a few of the songs they played or only picked up on them halfway through, but it didn't matter one bit. They were that good that you didn't need to know the material, it was still just as incredibly fun.

I was seriously expecting Weather With You, I was wondering when it was going to come. I thought it would be end of the first encore, but then they ripped into Six Months and ... oh wow. Still in awe of that.

By the way, have people been taping these shows? Because it would have been SO EASY for me to get a rig in there, and I wish I'd known, otherwise I would've gotten one and taped the show. And Mercury Rev, because they were pretty good too!

There have been a few... none terribly good quality though. I tried... and fucked up the encores, which turned out a lot better than most of the ones I've heard. :sad:

Australian crowds don't bootleg :down:

timothius said:
There have been a few... none terribly good quality though. I tried... and fucked up the encores, which turned out a lot better than most of the ones I've heard. :sad:

Australian crowds don't bootleg :down:

Might explain the lack of security! Not a pat-down, not a metal detector - ushers didn't even come up and look at us during the Finns' set, though they were guiding people to their seats during Mercury Rev.

Oh, now I really wish I'd taped that. I'll listen to anything, though: have you heard the dismal quality of ZooTV Christchurch? I still enjoy that.

And the fact there's no boot of ZooTV Brisbane probably speaks volumes for the suckiness of Australian crowds when it comes to bootlegs (though we have all three Lovetowns).

Australian crowds just suck, full stop. :mad:

Axver said:

And the fact there's no boot of ZooTV Brisbane probably speaks volumes for the suckiness of Australian crowds when it comes to bootlegs (though we have all three Lovetowns).

Australian crowds just suck, full stop. :mad:

That was my thought after I posted. There is no ZooTV Brisbane... which blows because I want to hear the phone call to Allan Border :lol:

I'm thinking 500 posts of anti-australian crowd sentiment could really work.

Percentage wise there are a hell of a lot more NZ boots from the UF era than Australia :yes:

New Zealand rocks for bootlegs. I think recordings exist for portions of every single concert - one UF Auckland may be missing but I don't think so. UF Christchurch and one Lovetown Auckland aren't complete.

And both Wellington shows are bootlegged well! :rockon: :up:

Meanwhile, these Australians ... well, let's face it, they fucked up taping Lovetown. Sure, there's some good audience tapes ('good', not 'great'), but that was maybe when U2 were at their musical peak and deserved so much better.

Australian crowds: :down: :down: :down:

beli said:
Ticketmaster sucks! I just bought zero tickets to Cirque Du Soleil! I have a receipt ! I hate that website. :mad:

beli that EXACT same thing happened to me for the 2nd Finn Bros concert!

I rang up and it turned out it was fine. Still... that stuff scares you.

Imagine when U2 come out if Ticketmaster handle the tickets and we get recipts saying you have purchased 0 tickets! :shocked:

beli said:
Ticketmaster sucks! I just bought zero tickets to Cirque Du Soleil! I have a receipt ! I hate that website. :mad:

I'm sorry, but :lmao:

Hope you get that sorted!

(I think I'll queue up for a few bloody hours for U2 tickets. Camp overnight, even.)

Axver said:
New Zealand rocks for bootlegs. I think recordings exist for portions of every single concert - one UF Auckland may be missing but I don't think so. UF Christchurch and one Lovetown Auckland aren't complete.

And both Wellington shows are bootlegged well! :rockon: :up:

Meanwhile, these Australians ... well, let's face it, they fucked up taping Lovetown. Sure, there's some good audience tapes ('good', not 'great'), but that was maybe when U2 were at their musical peak and deserved so much better.

Australian crowds: :down: :down: :down:

You need to respect the bootleg!

Isn't half an Auckland concert missing? Or am I thinking wrong?

Plus the PopMart boots I've heard are utter garbage for their time.

timothius said:

beli that EXACT same thing happened to me for the 2nd Finn Bros concert!

I rang up and it turned out it was fine. Still... that stuff scares you.

Imagine when U2 come out if Ticketmaster handle the tickets and we get recipts saying you have purchased 0 tickets! :shocked:

Thank you. I was heartattacking. Its only 8:30am here so theres no Tickemaster people to talk to yet and I have to take the children to swimming lessons blah blah it will be hours before I can talk to a Ticketmaster person.

Thank you Tim. I'll start breathing now.

timothius said:

You need to respect the bootleg!

Isn't half an Auckland concert missing? Or am I thinking wrong?

Plus the PopMart boots I've heard are utter garbage for their time.

Just checked U2BloodRedSkyHub.com's catalogue, and this is what we have for NZ boots (with some additions from me):

- 1984-08-29, Christchurch - they say there's no recording but I know that the first part of the set IS out there.
- 1984-08-31, Wellington - they say partial and almost, but I have the whole thing in my collection.
- 1984-09-01, Auckland - complete
- 1984-09-02, Auckland - almost
- 1989-11-04, Christchurch - complete
- 1989-11-04, Wellington - complete
- 1989-11-10, Auckland - partial
- 1989-11-11, Auckland - they record it as missing but I'm sure I've seen records of at least some of it.
- 1993-12-01, Christchurch - they record partial, I have the whole thing
- 1993-12-04, Auckland - complete

And yeah, Australia really dropped the ball with Popmart. :tsk:

They just drop the ball when it comes to crowds altogether.

beli said:

Thank you. I was heartattacking. Its only 8:30am here so theres no Tickemaster people to talk to yet and I have to take the children to swimming lessons blah blah it will be hours before I can talk to a Ticketmaster person.

Thank you Tim. I'll start breathing now.

I would just send an email to Tickemaster just incase with your recipt number etc... They will get back to you pretty soon I'd say. Just so you're 100% confident!

PROBLEM.jpg

Is that what it's like?

Axver said:

And yeah, Australia really dropped the ball with Popmart. :tsk:

They just drop the ball when it comes to crowds altogether.

They can't help it.

What do you think the odds of a Brisbane ZooTV ever coming out are? You would think it'd be out now if it ever got taped.

Sydney PopMart at least sounds so poor it's unbelievable... I would be critical even if it was the Boy tour.

timothius said:

They can't help it.

What do you think the odds of a Brisbane ZooTV ever coming out are? You would think it'd be out now if it ever got taped.

Sydney PopMart at least sounds so poor it's unbelievable... I would be critical even if it was the Boy tour.

I think there is actually a chance - I've even heard mutterings that a recording DOES exist, but nothing overly solid. After all, a DVD of 1981-05-15 surfaced only last year, if I remember correctly. Proshot too. I'm not giving up hope - come on, give us the Allan Border call!

I haven't heard Popmart Sydney, just Perth, Brisbane, and part of the soundcheck. I'll give this to Melbourne bootleggers: they get the soundchecks too.

(Part of UF Wellington's soundcheck exists too.)

Back
Top Bottom