Australia: have U2 said they'll be back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TouchTheFlame

Babyface
Hello hello!

I attended the Adelaide gig (brilliant) and I've read claims saying that Bono was singing at the end of Kite, Australia this is not our goodbye. I didn't hear it myself, but they could be right. If any Adelaide fans think they know exactly what it was he was singing, I'd love to know.

So - this got me thinking - has anyone else heard Bono suggest at other Australian concerts (or indeed the Adelaide show) that the boys will be back in Australia in the future? It would be so wonderful to think I'm going to be able to see them again... I wasn't old enough last time they came!

I hope this topic is in the appropriate forum - Mods, please shoot me down in flames if not!

Cheers all.

At Melbourne concernt i didn't hear him say that that'd be back but then again i left just before kite ended but he did say how much he loved australia and didn't want to leave but that was during beatiful day i think. My best friend who was with me heard it she picked up on all his little quotes lol but didn't hear anything about them returning.

At Brisbane, Bono said that they will be back and it won't be so long a wait.

He's said that before, though ...

*grabs a grain of salt and expects U2 back in a decade*

I think the answer is 'of course'. They only skipped us on Elevation because the Australian $ was hovering at 50c, meaning any gigs here would have been charity from the band. As long as the economics work out, I'm sure they will. Resurrecting these shows apparently makes the band little or no money, most likely even a loss, but the resounding success of them (especially 210,000+ in Sydney) pretty much assures their return. The Elevation skip was an abnormality. I wuold assume, as was always the case before, that Australia will be very much a part of any future plans.

Earnie Shavers said:
I think the answer is 'of course'. They only skipped us on Elevation because the Australian $ was hovering at 50c, meaning any gigs here would have been charity from the band. As long as the economics work out, I'm sure they will. Resurrecting these shows apparently makes the band little or no money, most likely even a loss, but the resounding success of them (especially 210,000+ in Sydney) pretty much assures their return. The Elevation skip was an abnormality. I wuold assume, as was always the case before, that Australia will be very much a part of any future plans.

Wow you have no idea how happy your post just made me

Ive been feeling on a down since the last melb show ended thinking will I ever see them play live again. What you said has given me conifdence to believe they will be back. :)

Yeah, they tried quite hard to find a way to pull Elevation off here - arena or stadium, pulling in 3 or 4 other acts and kinda making it a mini-festival and thus being able to charge much, much more, even actually playing a festival or two - trying to find any way possible they could come here and not lose a fortune. None worked out in their favour, so they ditched it. It was a one off abnormality at a time when U2 were/are at their most profit aware and the numbers refused to add up.

Remember there was a period there of a couple of years were it seemed the ONLY big acts coming to Australia were coming as part of the big festivals, doing side shows coupled with following something like the BDO around the country. It wasn't just U2, the Australian $ kept a lot of bands away from Australia, or forced them into smaller/scaled down shows and tours.

Last edited:
At Sydney III, I remember Bono saying something like this with a smile "they think we wont be back?". I dont know who "they" are but it was certainly an indication they will be back. And I agree with Axver that Bono said they'll be back in Brisbane.
Ive only ever seen U2 in a stadium, would love to see them in an arena one day - maybe their next tour to Oz might be the AMerican "arena" production with just more dates in each city

That Sydney 3 comment was when Bono commented that "they" (promoters? music industry experts?) said they couldn't do three Telstra Stadium shows - and now that they have, no-one will be able to do it again. That prompted the "do they think we aren't coming back"? comment.

I recall him mentioning it at maybe all the shows I was at (Bris - Sy3)...like he was making a statement about it!

I think they REALLY enjoyed themselves here. I have seen lots of boots of this tour from various places and Bono hasnt looked happier or sounded better.

He even seemed cool again!!

I hope they be back in 2 0r 3 years ;) I love to see them in concert again :D I just hope its not a long wait. ;)

i hope its not that long :( i hope they are back before they are 50... shit man they are getting on.

Back
Top Bottom