ATYCLB better than HTDAAB *LIVE*?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew_Page2000

War Child
HTDAAB is a better disc than ATYCLB. But is it better live?
Most of ATYCLB was tremendous live--BD, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, Stuck... More important, the audience ate it up like ice cream. They went nuts when the new songs were played.
Based on the boots I've heard so far the crowd could care less about the new tracks other than Vertigo.
Interference members (including myselft) are excited by LAPOE live. It's better than the album version but that one song aside I haven't seen a lot of excitement about the new songs.
Before the tour started there was talk about COBL being the new Streets live. Fans were drooling about the opportunity to hear Miracle Drug. I'm not seeing the level of excitement anymore.
In fact one recent review called MD "saccarine" and the low point of the entire show.

I won't be seeing U2 till the Seattle and Vancouver shows...
Will I be disappointed?
What do people who have actually attended a show think?

Last edited:
Not yet, but I think the ATYCLB songs are better live, plus they've got the whole theme going...

BD
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
NY
Grace

All very classic

Really looking forward to COBL, SYCMIOYO, and Crumbs live though

Its only been 2 weeks in the tour. When I saw U2 during its 1st few weeks of Elevation they were a bit raw on the new material. Especially "Walk On" and "Elevation". So far SYCMIOYO is U2's best ballad live since "One" and from what I've read "Love Peace or Else" is killer live. We haven't even heard "Crumbs" yet and "Original" was just played for the first time with positive reviews. The songs off of HTDAAB are bit more difficult for the band. Especially for Bono. ATYCLB had some pretty simple arrangements. Just my opinion, but do give a few more months.

i think the HTDAAB songs are muuuch better live than ATYCLB

there really arent any songs off ATYCLB that I'm dying to hear live, if they didnt play any I wouldnt be too sad

Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Love and Peace, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, OOTS, and Yahweh are all really good live. V, L&P, COBL and ABOY are all rockers that get the crowd going, and MD, S, and OOTS are all great great ballads.

ATYCLB really doesnt have any rockers, except BD i guess, but thats more of an anthem then a rocker, and I guess elevation, but elevation really isnt the best song.

so, i like the htdaab songs 100 times better, i was just thinking about this yesterday actually.

edited to add - walk on was a great live song, but it was so great as a closer i couldnt see them throwing it in the middle of a set, it would lose its power, so i dont know if id want to see it on this tour...

Last edited:
The new songs sound really tight. COBL is amazing, as is Vertigo and LAPOE. MD was good, but not what I was hoping for and I really don't like SYCMIOYO (simply my opinion). OOTS was actually better live than on the album. Yahweh was really cool as an acoustic song and ABOY just rocked.

The Bomb is so much superior to ATYCLB it's not even funny.
Live or studio.
Vertigo, All Because of You, Love and Peace, Sometimes and City of Blinding Lights simply rock live. Acoustic Yahweh is very interesting. Miracle Drug can be and will be better. I miss the guitar on Original, but it is still very solid. No major disappointments for me(except no Crumbs).

very good live!

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Love and Peace or Else

Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Yahweh

City maybe the weakest but still great. Give it time.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
More important, the audience ate it up like ice cream. They went nuts when the new songs were played.
Based on the boots I've heard so far the crowd could care less

You'll find that on some Elevation bootlegs to.
Besides, tapers dont try to capture the audience, they are there for the band!

It depends on which night you see them, in which venue, in what seats, around what fans, in what mood, and on what substance (or lack thereof); all that said, having seen only one Elevation show and now one Vertigo show, my verdict is with Vertigo, hands down.

As to the songs from the new album as live tracks, they are religious, rocking, revelatory, revolutionary, riveting . . . .

(But after reading my first sentence, realize my 01 show was first leg in Kentucky, and my V show was this past weekend in SJ).

the songs are in your eyes,
Anu

All the songs from ATYCLB that the band played worked out great live, the thing is that they basically remained the same as the studio versions with a few exceptions (Walk On, the "goal is soul" moment on BD and Elevation), they were still awesome but not amazing. The songs from HTDAAB seem to be flying higher and getting even better live, especially LAPOE, Vertigo, All Because Of You, Sometimes and MD. In my opinion COBL and Yahweh can get better and probably will with time. There's a more lively feeling on HTDAAB that seem to be working out great live.

I like Bomb better live myself and it will only get better as time goes on.

No tour can get HTDAAB better than ATYCLB. Either studio or live. Better songs are better songs.
Bomb just isn't that good album. The only thing that came out of it and is good is the Vertigo live prformance + Stories for boys mix. That is how both, Vertigo and the new album, should have sounded. (I'm not talking just 'bout rocking songs!)
So, once again, I think the production killed the most of the Bomb-songs... (cause they need just a little bit to become great)

of course, IM(h)O

plus, (i don't want to turn this into an A-bomb thrashing thread) A-Bomb is IMO the only album with no "story", if you know what I mean... Remember AB, Pop, JT, or even the "less worthy" Otober...

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
plus, (i don't want to turn this into an A-bomb thrashing thread) A-Bomb is IMO the only album with no "story", if you know what I mean... Remember AB, Pop, JT, or even the "less worthy" Otober...
wrong, the story of HTDAAB is love,

I haven't seen the new show yet, but I have heard some of the boots. This is my initial take on the differences between the two tours and albums:
I think ATYCLB is the biggest disappoinment in the history of U2.
To me, it is the sound of a band anxious not to repeat the "pop" mistake - as in: No experiments, no new sound.
I really tried to love the songs. And I loved them live. But everybody told me how amazing Kite would be live. To me it was a showstopper. And yes: "I'm a maaaaan" - I know that argument. But that's not a highpoint to me. As one of the low points (to me) on the new album is "Can - you - hear - me – when – I - Sing, you’re the reason I sing".
It's just too much in my opinion.
Anyway, my point is: BD, Elevation and Walk On were GREAT live songs. Stuck was bad (the intro might be Larry's worst moment - those drums sound like they're banged by an amateur) New York was OK (But it's still a s... song).
I just don't listen to ATYCLB anymore I think, for once, that Lanois and Eno failed.

About the new show. I have high hopes. The only weak song on the new album is Vertigo. And when that's your opinion, it's nice to read live reviews that point that song out as one of the strongest.
Which means: Even the weakest song is formidable at the new U2 show!!

Last edited:
Yikes.
I didn't want to make this a ATYCLB or HTDAAB bashing thread.
Cease and desist. There are already about 10,000 threads to that effect.
"Which is better live?" is all I was asking.
I'm reassured by the comments here.
I can't wait for Seattle and Vancouver.

The simple reason I like HTDAAB is the return of Bono's voice and that some of the songs on the the Bomb are reflective of their 80's work - soaring and inspiring

The HTDAAB songs are great live, ABOY, Vertigo and COBL are highlights, but Yahweh was surprisingly good too! I think they are on par with the ATYCLB songs live, and I think they'll get better as the tour goes on.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Absolutely wrong. The Bomb is a journey from a paranoid, sad person(Vertigo), to a man who has found grace(Yahweh). On his path he faces his demons and finds his innocence again.

Back
Top Bottom