Are U2 "Abusing Their Position" With The Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8 million HTDAB copies sold
sold out tours all over the U.S.
High demand for more, they are cancelling/ rescheduling entire continents so they can accomodate demand here...

Careers declinling?

i think not...

I echo what BC said...I think quite a lot of us here have actually been wondering the same things that Jick mentioned.

So please, let's try to keep this civil.

i timed it....this thread wasted 2 minutes and 41 second off my life. Time I can never have back because of this horrible thread.

thelma&louisecliff.jpg

Cheers,

H

RademR said:
i timed it....this thread wasted 2 minutes and 41 second off my life. Time I can never have back because of this horrible thread.

I had the same feeling after I watched Magnolia, except that was 3 hours.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
perhaps jick can have his own forum... where he can make all the negative posts he wants, and that way people can either chose to respond or ignore without seeing a massive jick-a-thon right in the middle of posts they want to read.

Cheers,

H

I find this unlikely, but an inspired idea nonetheless.

Cheers,

P

(P.S.--I heard you e-mailed me, but I haven't read your missive yet.)

xmarcx said:
The fact is they are playing new material, as well as changing up the older material...

not realy sure what else you can ask for????

It is natural to play new and old material together. Since they played 7 of 11 new album songs that would leave 15 previous songs to play. And if you have 8 of 15 (or a majority) of those songs being non-Best Of songs, then it means that the quality of songs U2 chose are compromised. There is nothing wrong with dusting off some obscure hits --- but to let it comprise of majority of the non-new material portions of the setlist is overkill.

Cheers,

J

theblackcat said:
I would rather hear U2 play songs such as An Cat Dubh than to turn into another Rolling Stones/Eagles greatest hits band.

After 25 years they are still relevant.

And in 50 years Bono will be remembered for what he did off the stage - not on it. So stop complaining about the "African Awareness cause". To call it their latest cause is insulting.

Following your argument, U2 should just have a setlist that doesn't have any songs from any of their Best Ofs. I don't think that is the case. What I'm trying to say is that 8 non Best Of songs is too much, and I would guess that U2 wouldn't have done this had their tour not been sold out.

I beg to disagree. I think after 50 years, Bono will be remembered as U2's frontman, and not for his other causes. I also do not understand why calling this U2's latest cause insulting. I think it is a tribute to U2 to be supporting causes up to this late in their career, and nothing is insulting.

Cheers,

J

jick,

Im not sure if you really are just trying to stir stuff up or not...
I am taking you at face value and answering your posts directly...

Why would you assume that the quality of material they play is absed on whether or not it appeared on the greatest hits cds? Is it not the case that most fans are clamopring to hear tracks other than those as we've been hearing them on every tour?

Also, again, how is it lazy to work on playing material taht they havent been playing in 15 or so years? That actually takes more effort than playing songs they've been playing all along...

But as I think about your post more...Maybe the point you are making is that they feel secure enough at this point to play songs that maybe not every top 40 listening radio fan will like or know--and if thath is the case I agree and am glad that that is the fact....

david said:
The whole point of a band touring is to tour and promote their new album. They have no obligation to play the older hits since they're no longer promoting past albums. So they can pretty much play what they want just as long as they play new songs for the new album.

Fair enough if you are talking about any other band. But U2 are different. They are a band that crosses all generations and still continue to make new fans. U2 won new fans with their last two albums, and some young ones are just discovering U2's music and attending concerts for the first time now. I think it would benefit more if they can hear more of U2's "hits" live so they can tell it to their kids and their grandchildren when they are older. Nothing is wrong with reviving old songs, I just don't think these songs should take up 8 songs off the setlist. Wait, make that 9 songs --- Elevation didn't make it to the Best Of 90-00 also.

Cheers,

J

xellente said:
8 million HTDAB copies sold
sold out tours all over the U.S.
High demand for more, they are cancelling/ rescheduling entire continents so they can accomodate demand here...

Careers declinling?

i think not...

This thread isn't about career decline. It's more about setlist selection. With a sold out tour, they are guaranteed of fan attendance not matter what kind of setlist the choose. So my basic premise is that U2 should be more prudent in selecting their setlist for the benefit of the new fans rather than just bank on the fact that their tour is sold out so they'll just play anthing they want.

Cheers,

J

being a fan, i find all of their songs are hits, but what do you mean for -hits-? the singles? the most known? the most commercial ones? personnaly i find this is the best ever ever setlist, they give us songs, such the boy ones or gloria, which are true gifts for us. i appreciate how u2 are setting the tour, in the end what counts is we and them. they're playing the best songs they can play and anyway the tour is so long, probably they will hit around the globe next year again, imagine how much songs are there waiting for us. -u2 is a hit band-

I for one would love to see more "non best of songs"

I threw a Brick....and Like A Song...would be a dream for me to see live.

Also, I'd like to add that it was no less than U2 who coined the phrase "abuse our position" in reference to Achtung Baby. So it's not like I'm inventing a derogatory statement about U2 out of thin air.

I think I have already intelligently made my points clear here, and explained some points of clarification. Since it seems that some people prefer not to discuss the main issues I raise, and choose instead to pursue other forms of replies like name-calling or topic-avoidance I think this thread is better left closed. Closing this thread will only work for the benefit of the new fans in this forum so they can read the points I make without having to skim through a lot of unrelated posts that attack personalities rather than arguments.

Cheers,

J

Wow, watching people bitch and moan about Jicks posts is even more laughable than Jicks original posts! To the people who can't handle people posting just to stir shit up: Don't reply! If Jick is indeed saying all this stuff to make you mad and you do get mad, you're only re-affirming what he's trying to do. geesh.

That said, I don't agree with the premise that U2 is "abusing their position." I do agree, however, that there are too many "unknown" songs in the set list for the non-hardcore fans. Sure, I'd love to hear An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Zoo Station and The Fly; but I have a feeling they are momentum killers for a huge percentage of the crowd. Sorry to say it, but having momentum and getting the crowd into the show is vital to having one of those incredible shows U2 is known for.

The second nights setlist was a huge improvement IMO. The slow paced An Cat Dubh (which again I'll mention that I'd love to hear) was replaced with Gloria. Again, a pretty unknown song to most non-hardcore fans, but at least it's a fast paced song that the crowd can get into more. WOWY, although I've been calling for it's retirement, is a welcome return in the place of Into the Heart. EVERYONE knows this song, so there's no way to go wrong in playing it.

Ignoring POP is a sin IMO, but I'm sure Please, Gone or Staring At The Sun will make a return at one point. I'd personally rather they drop one of the Achtung songs and play Please.

Go back out to the golf course looks like you got a case of sun stroke. If they are new fans how would they know what the hits were from 10 and 15 years ago anyway?

Personally if U2 only played the greatest hits (which they have never done), it would be a painfully boring tour for them as well as the fans new and old.

An Cat Dubh was replaced with Gloria and Into the heart was replaced with With Or Without You on the second night...cant get any bigger a hit then that.

the "abusing the position" Bono talked about in ZooTV was about pushing and streaching the audience to see how much they could take musically as well as visually, why should they stop doing that now?

I think this is very simple.

Nobody is forced to buy a ticket to a U2 concert. Therefore, U2 can play whatever they want. They can play Mary Had A Little Lamb if they want to. However, if they play too many songs people don't like, then in the future fewer people will buy tickets. Therefore, of course they will try and play a setlist that they feel will appeal to their fans, so they can keep most of their current fans happy and hopefully make some new ones. But no matter what they do, somebody isn't going to like it.

Personally, at any concert one of the things I most look forward to is hearing a song or two that I wasn't expecting at all. That's why I'm trying my best to avoid reading the setlists around here! I want to hear some of the best hits, of course, but I always like a band to mix things up a bit. But that's just me.

i'm amazed to this day..how people can get so upset at other posts.. listen Jick has been posting stuff for years that tick people off..if you don't like it..if he ruins your day ..go to the control panel and add his name to your ignore list..

Me personally.. i find his stuff fun and refreshing...a good reminder sometimes not to take things to seriously... Hell once in a rare moon i even agree with him (under my breath)

anyways don't let him get your goat and get all upset...

everyone is entitled to an opinion.

and while i don't also agree with all his comments.. the next four pages of Jick flaming just makes me think .O Who Cares!

Later on

B

If you ask me, they did a MUCH better job with An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart than they did with With Or Without You, which Bono has seemed bored with for years now.

Gloria was great, though.

But to play greatest hits over lesser known stuff -- bite your tongue! I trust this is your April Fools post.

jick said:
Also, I'd like to add that it was no less than U2 who coined the phrase "abuse our position" in reference to Achtung Baby. So it's not like I'm inventing a derogatory statement about U2 out of thin air.

I think I have already intelligently made my points clear here, and explained some points of clarification. Since it seems that some people prefer not to discuss the main issues I raise, and choose instead to pursue other forms of replies like name-calling or topic-avoidance I think this thread is better left closed. Closing this thread will only work for the benefit of the new fans in this forum so they can read the points I make without having to skim through a lot of unrelated posts that attack personalities rather than arguments.

Cheers,

J

I have another quote for you: "If it keeps us interested, its not going to be bullshit for you." Bono 1997

That said, if your going to be a U2 fan and follow this band, you damn well better be ready for a ride. They've mentioned many times that they're not an easy band to follow. They take risks and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. You stick with them or you dont. If your a "new" fan and are really interested in their music, then common sense would suggest you buy some of their back catalogue and listen to it before heading to the show. And dont give me this bullshit of some people not being able to afford that. Last I checked, Boy, October, and War were $9.99 at the store. Common sense also suggests that a band that has been around for 25 years and has had a nation of fans following them around for almost as long is going to play some obscure songs. I hate the term "true fans". But, those songs do kind of go out to the fans that have been around so long following this bands music through the years.

Personally, when I went to my first NIN concert years back, I only new "the hits". Afterwards, I pretty much felt like it was my fault I didnt have the best time because I didnt know the other tunes they played because I didnt research the bands catalogue. I didn't blame the band! I didnt feel they "abused their posistion" as Bono said back in 1991. I felt I cheated myself because I went to the NIN concert thinking only to hear the "hits". I cheated myself. Not the other way around. Rest assured when they came back around years later and I knew their songs, it was a phenomenal experience.

Also take note that this setlist will keep changing here and there throughout the tour. So many people have burned it in their mind that this is it. That these are the songs for the whole tour. Kite, Wild Honey, Peace On Earth (snippet, but still good), weren't played right off thebat either. Original Of The Species, One Step Closer, and Crumbs will show up. As will Walk On (I think). Not sure about Kite though. 'Sometimes' kinda replaced that. It's the second show, have some patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom