Anyone see paul mcguiness at live 8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
he was standing at the side of the stage during U2's set. bopping his head,

lol shows you that he really does like what they do, and isnt just someone who sits behind a desk

Yes, I'm sure they made lots of money back in 81 and up until 87 and that's what convinced him to be their manager.

U2girl said:
Yes, I'm sure they made lots of money back in 81 and up until 87 and that's what convinced him to be their manager.

i dont really understand what point youre trying to make with this statement

Chizip said:

i dont really understand what point youre trying to make with this statement

never heard of sarcasm chizip??:wink:

She meant that P McG couldn't know up front that this babyband (as he used to call it) would be so succesfull and lucrative. Up until 1987 they didn't make the big bucks.
They just made this deal in the beginning as he was doing all the lobbying for them and they all seemed to think it was fair to split everything 5 ways.

Besides I think the normal rate for a manager might be 20% or 15% anyhow (don't know where I got that from, I must have read that somewhere cus I wouldn't have a clue myself)

greety said:

She meant that P McG couldn't know up front that this babyband (as he used to call it) would be so succesfull and lucrative. Up until 1987 they didn't make the big bucks.
They just made this deal in the beginning as he was doing all the lobbying for them and they all seemed to think it was fair to split everything 5 ways.

well i understand that, but when did anybody imply that Paul latched onto U2 in order to cash in on their success?

yes i do, you dont think he likes the millions and millions they bring in for him?

when they were young, they all took a gamble on each other. bono, larry, adam, edge, and paul all trusted each other to make it work. well it has worked and they are making huge amounts of money off the gamble they took. so im sure they are all happy about that.

if i was a manager of a band that was bringing me in 30 million off their tour I'd sure as hell be travelling around on the tour with them

i dont see how my first comment was any sort of dig at Paul

Chizip said:
yes i do, you dont think he likes the millions and millions they bring in for him?

when they were young, they all took a gamble on each other. bono, larry, adam, edge, and paul all trusted each other to make it work. well it has worked and they are making huge amounts of money off the gamble they took. so im sure they are all happy about that.

if i was a manager of a band that was bringing me in 30 million off their tour I'd sure as hell be travelling around on the tour with them

i dont see how my first comment was any sort of dig at Paul

Well they all share the profits so he gets no more than any of the band. Technically, he's the one that got them the record deals, the copyright to their music so if anything, U2 should "like the millions" they got through him.

I would think Vertigo isn't the first tour that had McGuiness travel along with the band. It's very cynical to imply he goes to watch them live because of the money.

U2girl said:

I would think Vertigo isn't the first tour that had McGuiness travel along with the band. It's very cynical to imply he goes to watch them live because of the money.

well it is his job, don't we all do things for our job for the money?

obviously im sure he enjoys the music, but im sure he also enjoys the money the music is bringing him

i know i would

I would hope it's more than just "a job", and that he enjoys U2 itself more than whatever money he has made.

I also don't think seeing U2 live is some sort of duty, he started managing them after seeing their show so I would guess he is a fan.

Last edited:
since he's been so successful managing them, i doubt he has any other clients. so he can probably just follow them around and travel and stuff along with them...that's what i'd do if i were him! :drool:

imagine if you were not only super-rich, but for your job you got to go to dozens of concerts each year, seeing one of the best live acts there is. he's got a good job.

Infact U2 were making quite a bit of money after 1983....unlike what people have stated in here U2 were a widely known band even back in 1985 they just wearnt a super band until after that point....anybody ever see all the U2 flags in the crowd in 1985's Live Aid...I was disappointed I didnt see any of them yesterday.

U2 were selling out Arenas, including the lucrative US market.

Many were the same venues that they played in 1992/2001/2005.

There's a photo of them from 1985 of their entire crew and trucks that includes a PRIVATE JET.

U2FP

Last edited:
Remember Bono thanked Paul at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. He called him our 'Biggest Bodyguard' and the reason they dont have 'Slave' tattoed on their head, unlike others in the music industry.

U2 are indebted to Paul, he is the 5th member of U2.

Yahweh said:
Infact U2 were making quite a bit of money after 1983....unlike what people have stated in here U2 were a widely known band even back in 1985 they just wearnt a super band until after that point....anybody ever see all the U2 flags in the crowd in 1985's Live Aid...I was disappointed I didnt see any of them yesterday.

true, they did make money and they were pretty well known but in those days they poored the money back into the business and I remember reading interviews (with bono and Larry I think) where they stated that they didn't get to the big $$ untill the Joshua tree's million selling album and even then it didn't come in busloads.
I'm quite sure Larry stated that and someone even asked what he first big buy was but forgive me I can't remember the answer. (maybe his Harley?)

Live8BBC21-4PM02-07-2005DVD160.jpg

Live8BBC21-4PM02-07-2005DVD279.jpg

:wink:

I saw him at the 10/28/01 NJ Elevation Show bopping his head along to Until the End of the World.

I thought I read an interview somewhere that said that Paul and the band re-did their agreement a few years back where it's no longer a straight five-way split but that McG gets a usual manager percentage now (which is not much less than one-fifth anyway, although now he might not now share in some revenue streams), in exchange for freeing McG to manage other acts. Have to find that article....

Back
Top Bottom