An Open Response Regarding The Current Vertigo Tour Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think it's highly discouraging how stale the tour's setlist has become after being considerably interesting on the first leg. at least by u2 standards.

there is simply no 7ustification for it. how the band can handle it is beyond me.

that goes for zootv and popmart. i thought the technology aspect was a good enough excuse, initially, but that's that's bullshit too.

it's theatre, apparently.

Zoomerang96 said:

it's theatre, apparently.

I think you have a good point there, if you consider a theatre to be a show that is exactly (or at least very close to) the same night after night after....some like that some don't.

It depends, I guess, on whether you like the current setlist. If it contains stuff you think should be altered, well then, it gets really annoying that they don't shake it up....

Last edited:
Like I said before, last two tours proved it's impossible to please U2 fans.

Last tour was critisized for having too many "staples" (NYD, SBS, Pride, Bad, the obligatory 4 JT songs, the three RaH songs, the AB trio). At that, Elevation featured everything from hits to new material to less known songs and even B-sides.

This time around we got songs that I think no one expected to hear again: Boy songs, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride your wild horses, Miss Sarajevo. (a lot less staples than U2 has played in years)

People again complain of a greatest hits show.

:huh:

U2girl said:
Like I said before, last two tours proved it's impossible to please U2 fans.

Last tour was critisized for having too many "staples" (NYD, SBS, Pride, Bad, the obligatory 4 JT songs, the three RaH songs, the AB trio). At that, Elevation featured everything from hits to new material to less known songs and even B-sides.

This time around we got songs that I think no one expected to hear again: Boy songs, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride your wild horses, Miss Sarajevo. (a lot less staples than U2 has played in years)

People again complain of a greatest hits show.

:huh:

I don't think this thread was meant to start another discussion about setlists as such.....wouldn't you agree, though, that NYD, SBS, Pride, Bullet and One are very keen survivors this tour, again? And you mention Gloria, 40, WGRYWH....but honestly, how much have these been played here in Europe?

U2Man said:

I don't think this thread was meant to start another discussion about setlists as such.....wouldn't you agree, though, that NYD, SBS, Pride, Bullet and One are very keen survivors this tour, again? And you mention Gloria, 40, WGRYWH....but honestly, how much have these been played here in Europe?
but they really HAD to change them for the european leg, as songs like an cat dubh/into the hear, the ocean etc would just get lost on the majoirty, and i tell you something its one hell of a feeling hearing everone singing along to i still havent found, and all i want is you, i just never got them 2 songs when i went :(

and Zoomerang96 i dont mean to have a dig, but if you finding that your bored with it all then why stick around? surley you can find something more interesting to do with your time, something that you do actually enjoy

KUEFC09U2 said:
but they really HAD to change them for the european leg, as songs like an cat dubh/into the hear, the ocean etc would just get lost on the majoirty, and i tell you something its one hell of a feeling hearing everone singing along to i still havent found, and all i want is you, i just never got them 2 songs when i went :(

and Zoomerang96 i dont mean to have a dig, but if you finding that your bored with it all then why stick around? surley you can find something more interesting to do with your time, something that you do actually enjoy

I know the answer to the last question: He's a big fan of everything U2 have done up to and including POP :shh:

I think you're right about the reason why U2 have decided to skip the songs mentioned. I saw a clip of Wild Horses from somewhere in Britain and the crowd wasn't into it at all....it almost looked embarrasing....:( I can't help thinking, though, that unless U2 start playing all the other great songs they have instead of Pride, Bullet.....and so on......people won't ever get to know them.....

U2Man said:

I know the answer to the last question: He's a big fan of everything U2 have done up to and including POP :shh:

I think you're right about the reason why U2 have decided to skip the songs mentioned. I saw a clip of Wild Horses from somewhere in Britain and the crowd wasn't into it at all....it almost looked embarrasing....:( I can't help thinking, though, that unless U2 start playing all the other great songs they have instead of Pride, Bullet.....and so on......people won't ever get to know them.....
no he stated ZooTv and popmart were "bullshit" too, but anyway

i know and this is what makes it really hard for the band, and thats why we are only limited to about 2 really rare gems, i.e. Zoo station and electric co, and now miss sarajevo

which to be fair i never thought i would hear

U2 should not even play U2 songs anymore... I demand a show of covers of bands like Metallica, Iggy Pop, Erasure, Technotronic and Right Said Fred.

:drool:

U2@NYC said:
U2 should not even play U2 songs anymore... I demand a show of covers of bands like Metallica, Iggy Pop, Erasure, Technotronic and Right Said Fred.

:drool:

Please remove Erasure and Right Said Fred from that list :wink:

U2Man said:

A thread titled An Open Response Regarding The Current Vertigo Tour Setlist isn't a discussion about the setlist?

I know those are played, then again, how many times were Bad or Until the end of the world played? Or WOWY and I still haven't found in the US? Angel of Harlem and Desire?
Of course the setlist has to change and include more "hits" when they play in the stadiums.

Who's gonna ride you wild horses was played a few times here. Gloria didn't make it but IMO they're playing it a bit too slow (just like 11 O clock on the last tour) anyway. And personally I think 40 should have given the closer position to a full-band Yahweh.
Europe got Miss Sarajevo. How's that for a rarity?

U2girl said:

A thread titled An Open Response Regarding The Current Vertigo Tour Setlist isn't a discussion about the setlist?

I know those are played, then again, how many times were Bad or Until the end of the world played? Or WOWY and I still haven't found in the US? Angel of Harlem and Desire?
Of course the setlist has to change and include more "hits" when they play in the stadiums.

Who's gonna ride you wild horses was played a few times here. Gloria didn't make it but IMO they're playing it a bit too slow (just like 11 O clock on the last tour) anyway. And personally I think 40 should have given the closer position to a full-band Yahweh.
not rare enough in some peoples eyes

For me the Vertigo Tour started perfectly in the US. We had uncomercial songs like AN CAT DUB, THE OCEAN, INTO THE HEART, STORIES FOR BOYS(snippet), GLORIA a song from the October Album wich has been totally not been recognized by the Band for 15 Years.
Then we had non single tracks like ZOO STATION, RUNNING TO STAND STILL, UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD. This was rounded up by songs like BAD, WILD HORSES, OUT OF CONTROL. And the old time Fan favorite U2 showcloser 40. Even Party Girl showed up and Bono mentioned IN GODS COUNTRY in Arizona, as usual.

What a mix of old and new tunes, its magic!

Then the Band came to Europe, their home. Everything of that was gone.
The first 2 shows had a slightly touch of the US indoor Tour but since Manchester as I WILL FOLLOW made it to the set, the song was fixed as standard in the set. Why that? Crowd pleaser for the stadiums?! I guess their were also a few who wished to hear GLORIA or AN CAT DUB but nothing happend.

In the end of the US indoor tour Vertigo 2x became a joke by the Band. When they came to Europe it became fixed standard and totally unfunny for European Fans who saw more than 1 or 2 shows.

Ok STILL HAVENT FOUND and ALL I WANT IS YOU came to the set but they became standard as well. Same as in mid July MISS SARAJEVO made its debute in Amsterdam and kicked out RUNNING TO STAND STILL. Since then RUNNING was dead. Instead of switching those 2 songs, the Band decided to skip RUNNING to play only MISS SARAJEVO.

ORIGION OF THE SPECIES wich was special on the first leg in the US was still verry special in Europe, Dublin, Amsterdam and both nights in Milan for the video shoot.

CRUMBS was rehearsed several times in Europe and sounded perfectly but, hasent apeared jet and will not before Toronto.

As an result the European leg was not the same as the Tour started great in San Diego. We had diffrent sets in the US in Europe we became to standards, no flexible.

I recon the 3rd leg will rock again with flexible sets in the US wich will become more dissapointment for Europe. And when i think about 4th Pacific leg my stomac turns over when i think about Christchurch and Wellington both nights will feature ONE TREE HILL for 100%.
And if the make it to Brazil, songs like MOTHERS OF THE DISSAPEARED i can only say.....Europe is not worth touring.

see u all in December in Boston:sexywink:

U2girl said:

We would have to ask U2@NYC about that but if you read the content of his first post, I think you will agree with me that his purpose was to say something about the way people behave towards eachother when the setlist discussions are brought up - and start a discussion about that/make people think about that. That was how I interpreted it.

And I don't know why you bring Miss Sarajevo up, I didn't even mention that song - I appreciate that they play it.

Last edited:
Dragonfire said:
For me the Vertigo Tour started perfectly in the US. We had uncomercial songs like AN CAT DUB, THE OCEAN, INTO THE HEART, STORIES FOR BOYS(snippet), GLORIA a song from the October Album wich has been totally not been recognized by the Band for 15 Years.
Then we had non single tracks like ZOO STATION, RUNNING TO STAND STILL, UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD. This was rounded up by songs like BAD, WILD HORSES, OUT OF CONTROL. And the old time Fan favorite U2 showcloser 40. Even Party Girl showed up and Bono mentioned IN GODS COUNTRY in Arizona, as usual.

What a mix of old and new tunes, its magic!

Then the Band came to Europe, their home. Everything of that was gone.
The first 2 shows had a slightly touch of the US indoor Tour but since Manchester as I WILL FOLLOW made it to the set, the song was fixed as standard in the set. Why that? Crowd pleaser for the stadiums?! I guess their were also a few who wished to hear GLORIA or AN CAT DUB but nothing happend.

In the end of the US indoor tour Vertigo 2x became a joke by the Band. When they came to Europe it became fixed standard and totally unfunny for European Fans who saw more than 1 or 2 shows.

Ok STILL HAVENT FOUND and ALL I WANT IS YOU came to the set but they became standard as well. Same as in mid July MISS SARAJEVO made its debute in Amsterdam and kicked out RUNNING TO STAND STILL. Since then RUNNING was dead. Instead of switching those 2 songs, the Band decided to skip RUNNING to play only MISS SARAJEVO.

ORIGION OF THE SPECIES wich was special on the first leg in the US was still verry special in Europe, Dublin, Amsterdam and both nights in Milan for the video shoot.

CRUMBS was rehearsed several times in Europe and sounded perfectly but, hasent apeared jet and will not before Toronto.

As an result the European leg was not the same as the Tour started great in San Diego. We had diffrent sets in the US in Europe we became to standards, no flexible.

I recon the 3rd leg will rock again with flexible sets in the US wich will become more dissapointment for Europe. And when i think about 4th Pacific leg my stomac turns over when i think about Christchurch and Wellington both nights will feature ONE TREE HILL for 100%.
And if the make it to Brazil, songs like MOTHERS OF THE DISSAPEARED i can only say.....Europe is not worth touring.

see u all in December in Boston:sexywink:
stop making EVERYONE out to hate vertigo 2, because i dont, also of course they have to adapt the set, its a stadium, rather than just having 20,000 were talking 60.000 so if an cat dubh lost 15.000 of the fans inside an a small arena what the hells it going to do to 60,000? the concert would suffer its as simple as that,

and as i said i wouldnt swap hearing 60.000 people singing along to i still have found, i wouldnt swap that for ANYTHING, and i didnt even get to hear it at manchester 1

and europe is not worth touring? thanks buddy thanks alot

p.s. your forgetting, us in europe have mainly only had 1 show 1 city so of course the setlist is going to stay the same, but not only do we get the fewer shows out of the bands tour, you dont even want them to come here at all?

KUEFC09U2 said:
stop making EVERYONE out to hate vertigo 2, because i dont, also of course they have to adapt the set, its a stadium, rather than just having 20,000 were talking 60.000 so if an cat dubh lost 15.000 of the fans inside an a small arena what the hells it going to do to 60,000? the concert would suffer its as simple as that,

Gloria would have got 60.000 people screaming each and every night here in Europe.

U2Man said:

Gloria would have got 60.000 people screaming each and every night here in Europe.
maybe it would, but the electric co and i will follow are doing a fine job as it is?

it goes like this though, someone wants gloria, they get gloria, but then someone wants the electric co, we get that back. just goes back n forth all the time,

me am not to botherd i will like whatever they play

and no i am not a "blind follower"

KUEFC09U2 said:
maybe it would, but the electric co and i will follow are doing a fine job as it is?

it goes like this though, someone wants gloria, they get gloria, but then someone wants the electric co, we get that back. just goes back n forth all the time,

me am not to botherd i will like whatever they play

and no i am not a "blind follower"

:scratch: Are you paranoid KUEFC09U2? :wink:

(I hope we are not attracting the attention of Sicy and neutral right now, I hope they will agree that this is on topic and sober. Otherwise we are both in trouble soon :yikes: )

Last edited:
Er lads...why don't we just call it even here? Lest it turn into an example of what the topic was originally about.

Whaddya say?

:wink:

stevec said:
Er lads...why don't we just call it even here? Lest it turn into an example of what the topic was originally about.

Whaddya say?

:wink:
why? a. its on topic, and b its a pretty legit debate

KUEFC09U2 said:
no he stated ZooTv and popmart were "bullshit" too, but anyway

i know and this is what makes it really hard for the band, and thats why we are only limited to about 2 really rare gems, i.e. Zoo station and electric co, and now miss sarajevo

which to be fair i never thought i would hear

WOAH.

that is NOT what i said.

those two tours are my favourite of any band ever.

what i did say was that i used to think they weren't capable of changing the setlist on the tours because of the extravagence of it all, but i know longer believe that. they could have changed it up, without question.

that's all i said.

Zoomerang96 said:

WOAH.

that is NOT what i said.

those two tours are my favourite of any band ever.

what i did say was that i used to think they weren't capable of changing the setlist on the tours because of the extravagence of it all, but i know longer believe that. they could have changed it up, without question.

that's all i said.
ok right ok sorry about the miss-understanding

KUEFC09U2 said:
why? a. its on topic, and b its a pretty legit debate

Fair enough mate, I'm not telling you what to do - just suggesting a course of action before it gets messy again. You know I've never made any negative or derogatory comment about you, so I hope you don't consider this to be either.

But be honest Kevin, you were a tad harsh on Dragonfire in accusing him of trying to make people hate Vertigo 2, when all he did was exercise HIS opinion of the tour. His comments weren't altogether negative either, if you read the first part again.

The Vertigo comment he made was two lines out of the many he wrote, but because it's a sore point with you it was picked out. It's just opinon mate, not fact - you just took it rather personally.

Also, the topic in question is actually people's reactions to posts and to eachother, not a discussion about what should or should not specifically be included in a setlist. A lot of what has been posted since the thread's inception is in fact, off-topic. That includes Dragonfire and you guys.

That being said, I know how easy it is to veer off a topic in these threads. We can get quickly swept away in it all.

Last edited:
stevec said:

Fair enough mate, I'm not telling you what to do - just suggesting a course of action before it gets messy again. You know I've never made any negative or derogatory comment about, so I hope you don't consider this to be either.

But be honest Kevin, you were a tad harsh on Dragonfire in accusing him of trying to make people hate Vertigo 2, when all he did was exercise HIS opinion of the tour. His comments weren't altogether negative either, if you read the first part again.

The Vertigo comment he made was two lines out of the many he wrote, but because it's a sore point with you it was picked out. It's just opinon mate, not fact - you just took it rather personally.

Also, the topic in question is actually people's reactions to posts and to eachother, not a discussion about what should or should not specifically be included in a setlist. A lot of what has been posted since the thread's inception is in fact, off-topic. That includes Dragonfire and you guys.

That being said, I know how easy it is to veer off a topic in these threads. We can get quickly swept away in it all.
abit harsh when someone makes a comment saying "europe is not worth touring"?

KUEFC09U2 said:
abit harsh when someone makes a comment saying "europe is not worth touring"?

Only HIS opinion - he hardly speaks for the entire continent does he? He doesn't speak for me and I know he certainly doesn't speak for you.

If you're really lucky, 50% of folks here will agree with you and 50% won't - I can't expend energy on arguing with that amount of people whose minds I can't change.

Nor do I have the right to.

stevec said:

Only HIS opinion - he hardly speaks for the entire continent does he? He doesn't speak for me and I know he certainly doesn't speak for you.

If you're really lucky, 50% of folks here will agree with you and 50% won't - I can't expend energy on arguing with that amount of people whose minds I can't change.

Nor do I have the right to.
fair enough, i just get abit upset when people make comments like that,

KUEFC09U2 said:
fair enough, i just get abit upset when people make comments like that,

Hey listen, I've got to seriously bite my tongue in here sometimes and walk away from the PC, before I type someting I KNOW I'll regret later.

We're only human after all...well most of us :wink:

stevec said:

Hey listen, I've got to seriously bite my tongue in here sometimes and walk away from the PC, before I type someting I KNOW I'll regret later.

We're only human after all...well most of us :wink:
i know i knw, i just get worked up about it

KUEFC09U2 said:
i know i knw, i just get worked up about it

I know that mate, but I get where you're coming from - I really do. You only end up making yourself a target tho and that's going to end up being your downfall in here...and I'd be pissed off if that happened.

You and I are cool tho - no hard feelings whatsoever!

:up:

Back
Top Bottom