An open letter to Bono Vox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
Dear Bono Vox,

I noticed on U2.com that you still print your setlists out. Normally these are used to help a band remember the songs they're supposed to play but seeing as how you've played the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, I'm wondering what purpose this item might serve for yourself, Adam, Larry, and David.

Why do you waste a piece of paper every night? You've played about 80 shows (give or take) and that amounts to 80 pieces of paper. Stuck together, this would equal a stack of paper about 8.5 inches in diameter, 11 inches high, and 1/2 inch thick. This is not even accounting for the fact that Europeans use slightly larger paper! Do you realize that this amounts to about 1/8th the mass of a 5-year old tree? How do you reconcile this position with your supposedly pro-World stances? Was it not you that coined the phrase "One love, one life, with each other, you're ma sistas, you're my brothers"?

I've heard from various reliable sources that you purposefully only the best ancient forest trees for the production of your setlist papers. Is this true? If not, where did this rumour come from? It wouldn't surprise me that you'd use the Versaci of trees seeing as how you play the same setlist over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I don't know if Patti Smith knew that you still use setlist paper. I'm not sure she'd have agreed to play had she known. Same for Mr. Vedder.

My last point is that maybe you use ancient rainforest paper for your setlist paper. I hope this is not the case but how can we stop a band that created the PopMart tour and promoted it from a K-Mart.

Sincerely,

Andy

Do they actually take the time to print out a new setlist when they do the same one multiple nights in a row? That would blow my mind.

Re: Re: An open letter to Bono Vox

setlists.jpg

It's the drugs. :yes:

....wait a minute....they aren't supposed to do drugs....:eyebrow: Well then they have no fucking excuse! String 'em up and beat 'em with wet noodles until they repent their evil ways! :mad:

Bono can hardly remember the lyrics to his songs at times - you expect him to memorize 20+ songs too? If the lyrics aren't supposed to change, why should the setlists? :wink:

(and yes, I know he uses a teleprompter)

What percentage of the audience at these shows do you think have been to more than one show? 10, maybe 15 percent at the most? I went to 6 shows this tour, alot more than the 1 I went to during Elevation and the 0 before that. Each show was different in its own way. The audience varied from crappy (Chicago 1) to unbelievable (NJ2 and MSG 1 and 2 in Oct). True, 80-90 percent of the songs on the setlists were the same at each show, but for the vast majority of people who saw them once this tour, why does it matter if they vary it up or not? To them just seeing U2 is either a very special event or just a cool place to be. To be fair, the two fall MSG shows I went to had seven different songs between them, including ones I didn't get to hear in the Spring (I will follow, WOWY, I Still Haven't (well unless you don't count the Bankrobbers), Crumbs, Guitar Original of the Species, All I want is You, Fast Cars, Wild Horses, First Time, Miss Sarajevo, Stuck in a Moment). I am very happy that I got to hear all these songs because I am a big fan, but to the vast majority, who see them only once, it doesn't matter. They just wanted to see U2 play something.

It would have been a lot easier for them to play Giants Stadium twice in the fall verse the garden 8 times.

HEY ZooMacPhisto800:

I INSIST THAT YOU CEASE USING TOLET PAPER TO WIPE YOUR ASS UNTIL BONO RESPONDS. THAT WAY, YOU WILL SAVE HUNDREDS OF MORE TREES THAN THE SET LISTS CONSUME. THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP AND CONCERN.

(you never know)

Back
Top Bottom