an idea: LA fans should protest U2 at the grammys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adenoid_hynkel

The Fly
The music press will obviously be there and full force, and, since they are appearing on the show, one has to assume that Bono will do a few interviews. If you can stage a large enough rally, you might be able to raise enough of a stink to get a reporter or two to grill Bono on the subject.

Maybe the band hasn't fugured out the extent of what's happened. I'd like to think that, but it is a bit naive. But hounding the band at every public appearance until we get answers might be a strategy to employ.

I'm on the east coast, but maybe you can get something organized

DOWN WITH U2.COM!
BRING BACK PROPAGANDA!

Yes! Let's all band together to work on getting U2 loads and loads of bad publicity. Yay!

:banghead:

u2 are my favorite band, and they always will be. I don't blame them for this directly, but I think they do deserve some bad publicity for this. I don't know about protesting the grammys, but it's safe to say I dont feel like kissing their ass right now.

The irony that people are slagging off a website for replacing a magazine/fan club on an actual website which they use to find out most U2 information beforehand is actually quite humourous.

amniar said:
The irony that people are slagging off a website for replacing a magazine/fan club on an actual website which they use to find out most U2 information beforehand is actually quite humourous.
lol

I live in L.A. and have been looking forward to the Grammys as being another chance to meet the guys in the band, or at least Bono, and get another item signed by them. If I am sucessful I plan to mention how us fans feel Propaganda was a much better method of getting great tickets to fans. Of course I'll do it in a polite, respectful fashion.

I don't think it's that people are slagging the website itself. I think people are, rather, slagging the system by which the website is currently operating.

The impression I have gotten from longtime Propaganda members is that going electronic is not the problem. They would simply prefer that u2.com membership operated as Propaganda used to.

(I was not a Prop member, so you'll have to forgive me for drawing this from others' recollections. I'm a wee bit younger than most Prop members.)

Protests? U have got to be kidding me. Enough of these dumb fans. Stop bitching. U did not get tickets. Well camp out if u want to go so bad. Or better yet, don't go. U people complain about every dam thing. Nothing U2 does is suitable. U were not guaranteed anything. U complain about setlists, where they play, what they eat, where they go to the bathroom - ENOUGH!

we were promised priority seating for $40-we were put in line behind the brokers. u2.com's email sadi "first in line" apparently, we weren't

then they kept promoting memberships long after they had gone far overcapacity to accomodate the demand for the presale. and they used the presale in the pitch, knowing that they didn't have the tickets to deliver. that's just a tad deceptive, don't you think.

i was double charged for mebership and still haven't got my key chain. u2 has sold us out to fanfire and need to be held accountable in the media. it's one thing to revere the band's art, but to act like this is whining to demand an ethical service that we pay for is just stupid on your part

i don't see how anyone can defend the current operation unless they're apologists for fanfire and ticketmaster. i like u2, but i hate the fact that they've turned over fan operations to shady crooked companies. maybe you like brokers on ebay getting the tix we were guaranteed every year until now.

it is kinda funny how it took two days for the fanfire defenders to show up-about the time the story started breaking in the national media.

Okay. This is where I draw the line.

I was pissed off by this whole ordeal, and I didn't even buy the $40.00 membership to U2's poor excuse for a fan club. I felt upset because so many fellow U2 fans were being shafted. Who knows where the fault really lies? You could say U2 are to blame for hiring management who are just in it for the money. But isn't that what a company tries to do? Make money, and lots of it? I'm not saying it's right, but it's a fact of life. And I don't think U2 are the type who would purposefully go out of their way to ensure that fans have a crappy time getting tickets.

In a similar vein, I don't think we should be going out of our way to make life difficult for U2. Protesting the band seems just a TAD too extreme, if you ask me. If you're going to protest something, protest something worthwhile. Protest the fact that there are millions dying in Africa from AIDS/HIV every day because they are unable to receive the medicine they need. Protest the fact that the Janjaweed of Sudan are responsible for genocide, a fact that President Bush refuses to acknowledge. Do not protest against the band you love, just because YOU'RE not getting a concert ticket or because you can't get GA.

People say U2 are greedy? It's about time those people take a look in the mirror. Be thankful that U2 are even touring in your area, and that you are physically able to go.

:grumpy:

Last edited:
Halup said:
I live in L.A. and have been looking forward to the Grammys as being another chance to meet the guys in the band, or at least Bono, and get another item signed by them. If I am sucessful I plan to mention how us fans feel Propaganda was a much better method of getting great tickets to fans. Of course I'll do it in a polite, respectful fashion.

That sounds like a much better idea than staging a protest.

yeah. i'm still pissed about the whole thing, but god damn people. next there will be threads like "OMFG!!!111 I KNOW A SNIPER!!111 NE1 KNOW BONO'S ADDRESS!!!!111"

chill out people.

Nyaaaaaa!!!

Poo poo on that idea! Protesting U2 at the Grammy's would be in poor taste. There has to be a more diplomatic way of informing U2.com administrators of such a poor job of handling the whole presale thing. but, unfortunately, I don't have any ideas at the moment!:shrug:

I don't think protesting is the answer either. I do think, however, if anyone in LA does get a chance to talk to any of the guys you should try to let them know directly what happened and how the fans feel. Mention to them that propaganda worked, the ticketmaster pre-sale didn't. Who knows, maybe they need to hear it from fans directly.:shrug:

I agree with you GibsonGirl. This whining is just so out of proportion to what happened, you'd think it was the end of the world.
Also, is it any surprise really that a lot of people didn't get tickets?
There were 16 shows announced for all of North America, which has a combined population (including Canada and Mexico, where there are a huge number of fans) of about 430 million.
Some people have said that U2.com sold too many memberships. So what are they saying, that they should have told people trying to become members that the club was full? That makes a lot of sense.
And why would you want to create such bad publicity for a band you like? I don't get it.
There will be more opportunites to get tickets; everyone needs to put this in perspective.

Enough of these dumb fans. Stop bitching. U did not get tickets. Well camp out if u want to go so bad. Or better yet, don't go. U people complain about every dam thing. Nothing U2 does is suitable. U were not guaranteed anything. U complain about setlists, where they play, what they eat, where they go to the bathroom - ENOUGH!

As adenoid_hynkel said
we were promised priority seating for $40-we were put in line behind the brokers. u2.com's email sadi "first in line" apparently, we weren't

then they kept promoting memberships long after they had gone far overcapacity to accomodate the demand for the presale. and they used the presale in the pitch, knowing that they didn't have the tickets to deliver. that's just a tad deceptive, don't you think.

i was double charged for mebership and still haven't got my key chain. u2 has sold us out to fanfire and need to be held accountable in the media. it's one thing to revere the band's art, but to act like this is whining to demand an ethical service that we pay for is just stupid on your part

On the U2 website it says something along the lines of U2 promise the best seats, at the best prices, in the area as well as some seated tickets. U2 must have had some say in this pre-sale idea, U2 were not ripping off the person who wouldn't mind seeing a U2 show, U2 were ripping off their most loyal fans, the ones Bono called the "trainspotters" in that HTDAAB dvd. they should have made this pre-sale fairer by matching the amount of pre-sale codes to the amount of tickets available or by not doing that at all and putting them on on sale on the same day making everyone go out and get them by the same method. U2 would still be making a profit but they weren't happy with that, they were quite happy to push the idea of paying $40 to get a U2 membership.

I love U2's music, but I paid $40 for something that really seemed to be a bit of a joke, I certainly didn't pay $40 for a key-ring, and I really regret giving that money to line bono & cos pockets now. I deserve to get what I pay for and this isn't what has happened for many people.

Last edited:
biff said:

Also, is it any surprise really that a lot of people didn't get tickets?
There were 16 shows announced for all of North America, which has a combined population (including Canada and Mexico, where there are a huge number of fans) of about 430 million.
Some people have said that U2.com sold too many memberships. So what are they saying, that they should have told people trying to become members that the club was full? That makes a lot of sense.

There will be more opportunites to get tickets; everyone needs to put this in perspective.

U2.com could have let out a limited number of pre-sale codes but why didn't they? They knew they could make more money by swizzing U2's most loyal fans? that's what it seems like to me.

They don't really offer much of a great service for $40 a year, they knew most people were signing up for that code.

The whole thing I can't believe about this is how greedy U2 seem. It seems like it's just about getting as much money as possible. (I am not whining about tickets, I haven't and won't be trying to get any)

:drool: LA fans who even get to go to the Grammys and have an opportunity to meet U2 are such Lucky bas@$#%s!! I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and the chances of them coming here are pretty slim!
well, actually they were here in '97 and I could have met them but I was such a wuss and didn't want to wait outside the hotel til who knows when and yep, sure enough, I missed them! :banghead:

Oh wait! i just realized, my cousin lives in L.A. I wonder if he'd get a chance to go and meet them and ooohhh I'm sooo jealous! I can't wait until he gets famous (and it Will happen) so I can use him to meet people!:hmm:

(p.s. my cousin is on MAD TV; for an awards show last year, he and other cast members interviewed actors, like John Travolta, on the red carpet)

Protesting, as appealing as it might be, would probably just lead to alot of people getting alot more irate than they already are. U2 are most likely aware that some fans are on the rampant warpath now, and are no doubt prepared for it too. I doubt Bono, Edge, Adam or Larry could offer any words that would ease the frustration, and given Bono's track record with this kind of thing, i'm not sure that he'd come out with what you wanted to hear.

Halup has the right idea. If you have the chance, just mention it.

A protest of spoiled Yankees is laughable.

"Hey, Hey, Yo, Yo, I need more tickets for the show"

I'm not actually going to the Grammys themselves (unless somehow I get lucky and come up with a ticket) but whenever the band is in town for events, people do end up running into them at hotels or other places. This is what I'm hoping to do. I was able to meet Bono several times in 2001-2002 and got a photo taken with him. He has a great memory for faces and did in fact recognize me on the later times I ran into him. If I do see him outside his hotel or at any of the Grammy Week events or post Grammy parties, I'll try to get in a few words with him. It would be a waste of time to rant on about all the negatives about U2.com, but maybe I would have the chance to suggest that they go to a different method for the third leg shows.

GibsonGirl said:
If you're going to protest something, protest something worthwhile. Protest the fact that there are millions dying in Africa from AIDS/HIV every day because they are unable to receive the medicine they need. Protest the fact that the Janjaweed of Sudan are responsible for genocide, a fact that President Bush refuses to acknowledge. Do not protest against the band you love, just because YOU'RE not getting a concert ticket or because you can't get GA.

People say U2 are greedy? It's about time those people take a look in the mirror. Be thankful that U2 are even touring in your area, and that you are physically able to go.

:grumpy:

:bow:

Now, I would put this on a tee-shirt and wear it to a concert

:wink:

Miroslava said:

:bow:

Now, I would put this on a tee-shirt and wear it to a concert

I somehow don't think the grumpy smiley would fit, though. :wink:

Well I was thinking first paragraph on the front and then the grumpy face watermarked on the back with the second paragraph over it

Lara Mullen said:

U2.com could have let out a limited number of pre-sale codes but why didn't they? They knew they could make more money by swizzing U2's most loyal fans? that's what it seems like to me.

LOL, if you think this mess with the ticket pre-sale was something, can you imagine if they had "let out a limited number of pre-sale codes"? People would have screamed themselves senseless. The band is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They are massively popular, and bejillions of people want to see them. Demand, in this case, is bound to outstrip supply.
The pre-sale was a mess, of that there is no doubt, but there are people here who are acting as if U2 had become baby-killers or something. Giving away all of their records and not liking them any more? That's pathetic, petulant and childish. And as others have said, there are way more important things to get enraged over.

Halup said:
I'm not actually going to the Grammys themselves (unless somehow I get lucky and come up with a ticket) but whenever the band is in town for events, people do end up running into them at hotels or other places. This is what I'm hoping to do. I was able to meet Bono several times in 2001-2002 and got a photo taken with him. He has a great memory for faces and did in fact recognize me on the later times I ran into him. If I do see him outside his hotel or at any of the Grammy Week events or post Grammy parties, I'll try to get in a few words with him. It would be a waste of time to rant on about all the negatives about U2.com, but maybe I would have the chance to suggest that they go to a different method for the third leg shows.

I've seen this Picture that Halup had taken with Bono and Elvis Costello which was taken by Ali by the way. Great Picture.

Halup gets to pratically meet everyone. I'm jealous of him because every week he tells me who he met and what he got them to sign. Lucky bastard!!!

Also of course Bono will remember Halup because Halup is so freakin tall! Bono must think he is a Giant!

I think it's a great idea.

The problem is 16 shows X 16,000 seats per show x 10% = 25,600 seats went on sale here in the U.S. But even if only a third of the 90,000 Paid U2.com members live here in the U.S. and they each tried to get 2 tickets each, you are looking at more than half the members not able to even get ANY seats. Let alone premium seats that they were promised.

I should blow this sign up huge and try and get Bono to come explain why the band did away with the much better mail in form and / or Tell them to NOT use Ticketmaster.

u2shirt.gif

With a "Bono / Media Come Talk To Me" on the back. PLUS I'll get the whole thing on video.

Amazing with ticketgate, anyone would be willing to defend the band/management/ or anyone else who has a role in this mess. And yes the band has a role/responsibilty. Their name was used to defraud their fans. Sorry when you sell a product that you should well know you can't deliver it is fraud. The fan club is completely unresponvie to inquiries as if it was almost setup to never be able to respond. Before blindly proclaiming the lads are the greatest ever and we should all be happy sitting waiting from Crumbs from their table, try emailing their fan club a legit question. When you get the canned automated response that does not answer a simple question, come back and defend them. Fact of the matter is ticketgate is debacile and the band and everyone else involved deserve every bit of grief they get until they actually resolve the problems.

Back
Top Bottom