AMAAW/OSC on 4th Leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, as of now, A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer are the only songs from Bomb that haven't been played live yet. Anybody think we'll get either or both of them on the fourth leg, to make Bomb the first U2 record to be fully performed live? Nobody really thought Crumbs AND Fast Cars would show up on the third leg...

I can't see "One Step Closer" being played, it is a very slow song which would kill atmosphere, but then they did play The Ocean. Having said that, OSC is fairly long.

"A Man and A Woman" is a nice little song, and a wonderful bassline from Adam. Perhaps if he pushed a little, it would get played. It doesn't seem too complex either, and is upbeat and jolly. Nice to insert in an encore instead of ABOY? Either way, with the extra time off, maybe they have taken a look at it - on the other hand maybe they just want to get the 4th leg over with and keep doing generic Vertigo//2005 setlists.

I think 'Boy's the first [and only] U2 record to have every track played live!

namkcuR said:
to make Bomb the first U2 record to be fully performed live?

Actually, that's not true. I'm going to blatantly plagiarise something I recently wrote for U2-Vertigo-Tour.com because I'm too lazy to write it again:

Boy is the only album from which every single song has been played to a paying crowd, and Shadows And Tall Trees was the first to disappear from U2's setlists - sporadic appearances from 1978 to the middle of 1980 are recorded and it is assumed it was played more regularly, but it is not known to have appeared on the Boy Tour that began in September 1980, and hasn't appeared on subsequent tours. Out of subsequent albums, three come extremely close to being fully played live. Pop comes the closest with every single song being featured in some form live; eleven of its twelve songs were performend live, and the twelfth, The Playboy Mansion, was sometimes snippeted at the end of Where The Streets Have No Name on the Popmart Tour. Recordings of live performances of every Achtung Baby song exist, but the recording of Acrobat was made by a fan outside a closed venue in which U2 were rehearsing. Acrobat has never been played live to an audience. The Joshua Tree came extremely close to being performed live in full; the only song not played thus far is Red Hill Mining Town, which U2 are known to have extensively soundchecked before the 28 November 1987 concert in Murfreesboro, Tennessee as they had plans to perform it in late December in Tempe, Arizona so it could be filmed for inclusion in Rattle And Hum. Unfortunately, these plans did not come to fruition.

Re: Re: AMAAW/OSC on 4th Leg?

Axver said:

Actually, that's not true. I'm going to blatantly plagiarise something I recently wrote for U2-Vertigo-Tour.com because I'm too lazy to write it again:

Boy is the only album from which every single song has been played to a paying crowd, and Shadows And Tall Trees was the first to disappear from U2's setlists - sporadic appearances from 1978 to the middle of 1980 are recorded and it is assumed it was played more regularly, but it is not known to have appeared on the Boy Tour that began in September 1980, and hasn't appeared on subsequent tours. Out of subsequent albums, three come extremely close to being fully played live. Pop comes the closest with every single song being featured in some form live; eleven of its twelve songs were performend live, and the twelfth, The Playboy Mansion, was sometimes snippeted at the end of Where The Streets Have No Name on the Popmart Tour. Recordings of live performances of every Achtung Baby song exist, but the recording of Acrobat was made by a fan outside a closed venue in which U2 were rehearsing. Acrobat has never been played live to an audience. The Joshua Tree came extremely close to being performed live in full; the only song not played thus far is Red Hill Mining Town, which U2 are known to have extensively soundchecked before the 28 November 1987 concert in Murfreesboro, Tennessee as they had plans to perform it in late December in Tempe, Arizona so it could be filmed for inclusion in Rattle And Hum. Unfortunately, these plans did not come to fruition.

Yeah, I forgot about Boy.

So, whaddya think Axver - will we see AMAAW and/or OSC on the 4th leg?

Re: Re: Re: AMAAW/OSC on 4th Leg?

namkcuR said:

Yeah, I forgot about Boy.

So, whaddya think Axver - will we see AMAAW and/or OSC on the 4th leg?

Unlikely. If AMAAW was going to appear, I would have picked it for the third leg when U2 were big on the acoustic encore idea as it would've slotted in perfectly. I think the chance is almost gone now.

Same goes for One Step Closer. If they keep playing Bad, though, I wouldn't be overly shocked if it turned up as a snippet.

If any 'new' song has a chance of appearing, I would pick Electrical Storm as the most likely as it would translate well live as a full electric rock number. Even then, I consider the possibility doubtful.

I think it's also worth mentioning Zooropa in your "almost performed in full" thing....as only Some Days Are Better Than Others hasn't been performed live.

tommycharles said:
I think it's also worth mentioning Zooropa in your "almost performed in full" thing....as only Some Days Are Better Than Others hasn't been performed live.

Indeed; that was an interesting change last year, with 2 of the songs losing their unplayed status.

Though of course, I'm sure someone would raise the point that the title track was only played in half. I personally count it as being played, but if someone tried to argue that only 8.5 of 10 Zooropa songs have been played, I can at least see where they are coming from.

There is a 99.9 % chance One Step Closer will never be played live. I highly doubt Man And Woman will be done either. The only hope there is an acoustic Bono and Edge only deal. Which is feasible but I think also unlikely.

Last edited:
I can see AMAAW being played occasionally on the 4th leg, similar to Fast Cars. I don't really see OSC happening. I have a feeling that the 4th leg will deliver a few surprises though... the bulk of the set will remain the same with some notable changes thrown into the mix.

We'll see Acrobat performed for the first time.

that last part was a joke :wink:

I think the chances of both songs being played will be very likely, it's just more of a question of.. how they'll try to get them into the setlist...

I have a feeling Bono will do some One Step Closer excerpts though (as the many excerpts he's done so far on the tour..). To be honest, I can completely 100% say that Bono will probably do a One Step Closer excerpt in a song. I can feel it... :wink:
AMAAW though.. that's a toughie.. :hmm:

youtooellen said:
I think the chances of both songs being played will be very likely, it's just more of a question of.. how they'll try to get them into the setlist...

I have a feeling Bono will do some One Step Closer excerpts though (as the many excerpts he's done so far on the tour..). To be honest, I can completely 100% say that Bono will probably do a One Step Closer excerpt in a song. I can feel it... :wink:
AMAAW though.. that's a toughie.. :hmm:

Do you want to place a wager since your so confident? :laugh: :wink:

Oh, and for the record. I dont count snippets as the song being played live. :wink: But I dont think that is going to be done either.

I dont think the band has done much if anything during this off time. Bono has been busy with other stuff. So something new they havent worked on at all is unlikely. Expect the Euro 2nd leg setlists with maybe a surprise or two. But I dont think Man And Woman and definately dont think OSC are those surprises.

U2's set at Jazzfest:

1. One Step Closer
2. A Man And A Woman
3. 4th Of July

Bono then reads a manual on how to program a video player before buying pianos for everyone in the front row. The whole band then evaporate.

^ :lmao:

maybe after evaporating, they could return for an encore performance of "Summer Rain."
4.gif

They should bring back Wild Horses full band:drool:
That was so cool at Amsterdam 3.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. While we`re at it bring back Electric Co for each show of the 4th leg...it`s THE highlight of the Vertigo Tour!!!!

Why not One Step Closer? - its basically 'The First Time' and could easily be substituted for it. I was at the first show that 'The First Time' was played - Chicago 5 - and my first thought was OSC. I could imagine it be played once or twice.

mofo82 said:
Why not One Step Closer? - its basically 'The First Time' and could easily be substituted for it. I was at the first show that 'The First Time' was played - Chicago 5 - and my first thought was OSC. I could imagine it be played once or twice.

Because the band hasnt worked on it period. I dont think it would fit the stadium setting (I dont think First Time acoustic would either). The First Time is also on the Greatest Hits album though. Whereas OSC is more of a fill in track on Bomb (dont get me wrong, I like it, but I think its one of the weaker tracks). So I dont think they are even in the ball park in the bands eyes as even being consider "similiar" songs. :shrug:

I could "imagine" alot of songs being done. They just are not very likely and OSC is one that is very unlikely to me. At the VERY most it could be snippeted. But like I said before I think thats unlikely as well because I think he would have done it already if it was on his mind.

Back
Top Bottom