Airlines/Hotels that Care, and Airlines/Hotels that don't - Postponement Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nightsong said:
I called again and was told the same thing. I can use my ticket for another flight but's gonna be $250 minimum charge. I told her other airlines were making concessions and she said they are getting a lot of calls but they were just telling people to contact the promoter.

Perhaps you can ask to talk to a supervisor. Or ask them if there is a complaint department in which you can write a letter. Let them know you how you feel and that you may not use their airlines in the future or recommend it to a friend. They don't want bad PR. I know rules are rules, but sometimes... Worse comes to worse, they won't do anything, and at least you will make your feelings known and on record. You've got nothing to lose, right? :shrug:

I did talk to a supervisor on the last call-she was the one that told me they were getting a lot of calls. Coming from a customer service background myself, it irritates me no end that customer service at most businesses have no authority to actually serve the customer anymore!

I found their public affairs contact for the media and sent an email off to that address. I'll follow up with a priority mail letter tomorrow. And they are publicly traded and it appears their email naming scheme is rather standard throughout their organization :)

The flights were already pretty full when I booked and I booked as soon as the show was official :) And if they agree to give me credit now, that gives them over 3 weeks to sell our seats during a rather high-traffic season. I really don't think I'm being unreasonable at least not as unreasonable as a 70% cancellation fee.

I booked through Expedia but bought the trip insurance (I just know my luck) and can get a full refund on everything except the $150 insurance fee (obviously) but if I want to change for a different island or location it would be $25 for the car, $25 for the hotel and $100 for each airline ticket (3). So I explained to them that it would be better off for me to cancel and rebook later, possibly using a different site and carrier etc. By my book that is a losing $ prospect for them, but they didn't care, BTW I think I was talking to someone in India anyway. I'm sure they have a standard script and can't deviate from what they are taught (US or India, etc.) Still unsure of what to do. The only rebook with a concert I could do would be Hawaii at Thanksgiving or Christmas due to work constraints, sometimes being a teacher sucks because for the most part you are locked into certain vacation schedules.:sad: :madspit: I wish they would announce something already, but I have until April 4th to cancel.

Nightsong said:
I did talk to a supervisor on the last call-she was the one that told me they were getting a lot of calls. Coming from a customer service background myself, it irritates me no end that customer service at most businesses have no authority to actually serve the customer anymore!

I found their public affairs contact for the media and sent an email off to that address. I'll follow up with a priority mail letter tomorrow. And they are publicly traded and it appears their email naming scheme is rather standard throughout their organization :)

The flights were already pretty full when I booked and I booked as soon as the show was official :) And if they agree to give me credit now, that gives them over 3 weeks to sell our seats during a rather high-traffic season. I really don't think I'm being unreasonable at least not as unreasonable as a 70% cancellation fee.

I agree - Customer Service is not what it should be at most places. "Supervisors" have no say - just a title and maybe slightly more pay, who knows. These companies better start paying attention to people otherwise they won't have customers left to service :eyebrow:

I don't think you are being unreasonable either. I hope it works out for you, and would like to hear if you get a response. I would tend not to use that company in the future if I knew they had 'done you wrong'. You can include that in your letter too! Word of mouth is KEY for many companies, and I don't see airlines doing all that well these days. They should easily be able to sell tickets to Hawaii during spring break.

faithingrace - that's basically what I was charged, but I didn't buy the insurance. I believe it would have been about $210 for the insurance for 3 of us. My cancellation fees were $100 per ticket, $25 each for the other services, so $350 total. Much better than losing the whole amount. I'll still get a credit back to my creditcard for $xxxx.xx soon. Does it hurt, yeah, but I'll live.

I don't think it is being unreasonable to continue to call or write to the travel companies, airlines, hotels, rental car agencies (hit them all up separately too!). I agree with you all about the customer service industry, it really isn't what it used to be.....and for working in the industry myself I find myself telling some of the IDIOTS I get stuck dealing with that had it been me treating one of our customers in the same way I was then being treated, I would be put on report or fired. Sometimes that gets a change of attitude and action, sometimes not. I don't use that lightly either, I am dead serious. We have until Aptil 6th for hotel and April 7th 9:30am to make any changes.

The other argument I am using in my phone and writing campaign is that it's not that we (my party anyways) are wanting to CANCEL, we want to postpone and change our itineraries is all. Chances are it will be changed to a higher season rate so the airline and hotels are not going to be losing but double gainin anyway (scumbags!) So my advice to all is to take a deep breath, get on the phone with the nicest and most positive of attitude you can muster.....reference all the other travel companies and airlines etc who are being compassionate and hope for the best. And any letter sent, do it via registered return receipt as well as get the name, title and contact info of each person you speak with. Best of luck and keep coming back here to share info and stories!

good advice Carek... But there's no getting anywhere with Expedia. The fees are listed, and you have the option to buy insurance up front, so... at the time I tried to explain, but knew I wasn't getting anywhere. I just accepted it. Had I booked directly, I would probably still be fuming and arguing as others are apparently doing. Just remember to breathe, and try to be as civil as possible. If you take a rude tone or a higher-than-thou attitude, that's what you'll get in return. You get back what you put out there. :shrug:

How to Dismantle An Atomic Tour

Just contacted Webjet (through whom I had booked Qantas return Sydney flights) - all fees are being waived (phew - Webjet normally charges $68.50 fee per flight). Of course have to use flights within 12 months of when I first booked them.

Previously cancelled my Adelaide flights booked directly via Qantas and as announced $38.50 fee per flight was waived.

Brisbane flights don't need to be cancelled - I am going ahead with that leg of my tour, although seeing the Big Pineapple does not equate to seeing the big Vertigo target! (sigh)

Now I just have to find a safe place for the many $thousands' worth of tickets (six concerts with 2-4 people per concert).

Hope all your tour unravelling plans go ok.

Most of all, prayers for our boys and their families and that it all works out.

Re: How to Dismantle An Atomic Tour

g.u.c said:
Now I just have to find a safe place for the many $thousands' worth of tickets (six concerts with 2-4 people per concert).[/B]

I keep all of tickets in a fire-proof box by my bed. If the house catches fire, it's easy to grab on the way out the door. (Priorities, you know)

Anyone else hate the fact that ticketmaster gets to sit on our money for who knows how much longer?
I really wish they wouldn't sell tickets do far in advance.

Mark

keep trying with those customer service people! and do let us know which carriers are being nice and which are jerks, so we can vote with our typing-and-dialing-fingers in the future too!

My husband just had to cancel a work-related flight last minute with Continental due to family emergency, and they were pleasant with him and let him waive fees and has 12 months to use his credit, but wouldn't refund. Made me feel better about the carrier than if they'd told me to bugger off, and carriers that aren't "nice" should be made aware that their competitors *are*...
good luck to all trying to reschedule or get refunds. I suck at that sort of thing, always defer to husband who seems so much more skilled getting customerservice people to do what he's asking...
cheers!

Got an travel insurance by paying the flight with my VISA credit card which says that I can cancel if I, family or travel partner gets sick.

Does U2 count as family? ;)

People flying to Hawaii from Europe, what airline are you flying with? Going with KLM/Northwest airlines, anyone else? Experiences being in contact with them?

MissZooropa said:
Got an travel insurance by paying the flight with my VISA credit card which says that I can cancel if I, family or travel partner gets sick.

Does U2 count as family? ;)

well, I'd surely say that if the whole reason you bought the flight was to see the show, and their plans had to change because someone was sick, it's as relevant as if one of your official 'travel party' was ill!

If one service agent is giving the party line, I'd recommend being persistent *in as nice a way as possible*, keeping the tone that you're looking for ways to have good resolution, to work with them to find a happy outcome. If they can't do anything, with whom could you speak to get more information or input, etc etc...

cheers...

I'd like to try and get a list compiled of the fees charged by the various agencies/airlines. From a quick review of the thread and zootopia, these are the fees for reschedule within 1 year of original purchase date...

Qantas $0 for reschedule
Virgin Blue $0 for reschedule
New Zealand $0 for reschedule
Expedia $100
Continental $100 /each way?
Aloha $100/each way or total?
Hawaiian $125/each flight
ATA $50/each way?

Anyone know of others?

Last edited:
I had flight, car, and hotel through Expedia, so the latter 2 were an additional $25 each ($350 total for 3 of us)

Nightsong said:
I'd like to try and get a list compiled of the fees charged by the various agencies/airlines. From a quick review of the thread and zootopia, these are the fees for reschedule within 1 year of original purchase date...

Continental $100 /each way?

Anyone know of others?

For my Hawaii ticket the Continental change fee will be $100 (but not each way- total) and for my NZ ticket American Airlines will charge $150 change fee (also total, not each way.)

In both cases they will also charge any difference in fare at the time I rebook.

WestJet out of Canada is charging $30... So you would think they could go the distance and just waive the thing as a PR thing... I think we have to get more North American companies on board for the N.A. Fanbase...

I personally wrote WestJet a complaint letter, not even so much about the $60 (2 Tix) but about the attitude of the woman who kept saying how much they were all about customer service.

"So I think you should just go above and beyond and waive the $30, it's not like I am asking for a refund, you HAVE my $1400"

"I'm sorry, but if we did that for every cancelled event, we would be out of business."

Now THAT my friends, is Customer Service.
Go WestJet!

So guys, it´s official: I´m screwed! No more U2 for me for a while (unless a miracle happens).

Virgin said "As per the contract, we are not prepared to do anything". This came from a Manager so I suppose we can´t do anything else about it. They are not even willing to reschedule our flights, with or without penalty fees.

I´m gutted. I swear I feel like crying. I don´t know what else to do. There´s no way I can get that money again because I have to pay rent, flights to go back home to Argentina and my credit card.

Was anybody else flying with Virgin and are in a similar situation? My friend and I are thinking of starting some sort of petition and ask them to help us. I know they are not obliged to do anything for us but they have to understand this is a situation beyond our control. Other airlines were very cool about it, and it would be brilliant if Virgin could do the same for fans.

If you are dealing with a similar situation as ours, please email me at flavia_cobas@yahoo.com.ar.

On another note: does anybody have an email addy for TNA and PM? It´s my last resort.

Lila64 said:
you've got email (sent thru interference). Don't know if it will help or anything. Off to bed :yawn:

Hi Lila!

Thanks for getting in touch!

Was it an actual email you sent or a PM? Because I checked my email addresses and haven´t got any e-mails from you. :huh:

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Hi Lila!

Thanks for getting in touch!

Was it an actual email you sent or a PM? Because I checked my email addresses and haven´t got any e-mails from you. :huh:

check the email address you used to sign up to IF flav, it'll be in there

:daredare:

give it time, maybe it just hasn't come through yet???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom