Ah now i know why miracle drug and sometimes are played together....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i know i was abit slow picking it up lol, and no doubt EVERYONE already knows, but miracle drug is about miracle cures, bono's father sadly passed to cancer, hence why they play miracle drug before sometimes, thus giving bono the chance to speak about doctors and nurses before miracle drug,

so really its alot more personal than some people relise

I'm in remission right now from Hodgkin's disease and the new album came out during this time when I was going through treatment.

Miracle Drug was instanlty my favorite song on the album because I felt like it was written for me.

"Science and the human heart, there is no limit!"

That cheered me up walking to and from the hospital.

So this song means so much to me and sounded so great live.

And yes, I agree that is why they are linked together. Miracle is about hope and sometimes is saying goodbye to a loved one. Both songs are about love.

clerks said:
I'm in remission right now from Hodgkin's disease and the new album came out during this time when I was going through treatment.

Miracle Drug was instanlty my favorite song on the album because I felt like it was written for me.

And yes, I agree that is why they are linked together. Miracle is about hope and sometimes is saying goodbye to a loved one. Both songs are about love.

Best of luck to you Clerks. I just said a prayer for you.

Last edited:
clerks said:

Yeah best of luck. If I could, you know I would, but I couldn't, so I didn't say a prayer.

My best wishes aren't any less sincere.

clerks said:

Good luck and well wishes from NC for you :)

best wishes and good luck from sunny Aberdeen, Scotland and I also agree about the songs, they are superb and when played one after the other its inspirational

clerks said:

As a lab scientist working in a hospital, I share your love for the song. It was even more wonderful to me to hear Bono mention scientists during a few of the concerts - we get no recognition from patients and their families because they never see us, and very little respect from nurses and other staff, so it's kinda nice to get a shout-out from the world's biggest rock star.

My human heart goes out to you, clerks.

The entire medical community of researchers, doctors, nurses, and patients are often an overlooked segment of society. So many people take their health for granted and don't consider the people who deal with sickness on a daily basis. Eidolon Bird, believe me, patients and their families are very appreciative of your work. And my prayers are with you clerks :hug: Miracle Drug is so heartfelt and encouraging, it's like getting a hug from Bono every time you listen to it.

I posted my feelings about Miracle Drug and its meaning at another site, but I've copied it here so you guys could see it:

This is a truly amazing song. I own every U2 album, and "Miracle Drug" is my all-time favorite song by the band. To be able to say I like this song better than "One", "Where the Streets Have No Name", "Bad", "Beautiful Day", etc. after 1 week of hearing it is remarkable in itself. Keep in mind that I'm not saying this should be a #1 hit or anything, I don't care if it's never even released as a single. This song was written from the heart. When someone says it's just another slick, commercialized pop tune, they are totally missing the point. They either do not have the heart or the life experiences needed to understand and appreciate this song.

While it seems that Christopher Nolan was a great influence on 'Miracle Drug', I would argue that 1) the death of Bono's father and 2) his recent travels through AIDS-torn Africa had a large impact as well. Many musicians lose touch with their audience (especially those as rich as U2), but in 1) and 2) above, Bono got alot of first-hand experience with real life struggles of the sick and poor. His father died from cancer in 2003 (his mother died when he was 14), so he has dealt with illness and grief in a personal way. If you read his op-ed piece in the New York Times (or Boston Globe?), then you know where his heart is concerning AIDS victims in Africa. He talked alot about the retroviral drugs that America can provide to help the situation, and I can't help but be reminded of those comments when hearing the lines "I’ve had enough/I’m not giving up/on a miracle drug". Also, if you saw any of the footage of Bono's time in Africa on MTV, then you know that he looked dying people in the face and promised their families and communities that help is on the way.

There is an overwhelming sense of compassion in 'Miracle Drug'. I think that Bono turns pop culture upside down with the line "I've had enough of romantic love". This song wasn't written for the pop charts (although it would probably do well there), because the pop charts are all about romantic love. Bono sings about things deeper than romantic love in 'Miracle Drug', like faith, life, and death. There are many beautiful lines in this song, such as "There is no failure here, sweetheart/Just when you quit", but the most awesome are:

"Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It’s whispering
In science and in medicine
'I was a stranger
You took me in' "

Here Bono quotes Jesus (Matthew 25:35) in a very powerful way. In this context, Jesus said "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took me in , I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous asked him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' From these verses, we learn what we should be doing with our lives if we want to be about God's work. Bono links the mission of science and medicine with God's work (as described above). A person can truly appreciate these lines when he/she has been blessed by God through medical treatment.

Last edited:
2Hearts, thank you.

I love the "Beneath" passage, and I've quoted it to friends often. However, I'm not a Christian, so I didn't know about the last part. That really adds another beautiful layer to a superb set of lyrics.

xana dew said:
2Hearts, thank you.

I love the "Beneath" passage, and I've quoted it to friends often. However, I'm not a Christian, so I didn't know about the last part. That really adds another beautiful layer to a superb set of lyrics.

Wow, that's cool that the "Beneath" part meant alot to you even without knowledge of the Biblical reference. This is one example of why I disagree with the folks that say Bono has lost his edge as a lyricist. His quote of Jesus here is so subtle, but yet so powerful.

I've seen doctors, and especially nurses, that care so deeply about patients that sometimes you forget that they are working in their professional capacity. They just seem like a friend. To me, that's a real life example of the "I was a stranger and you took me in" verse.

I agree with 2Hearts. So often some people of faith quickly discredit the importance/value of medicine. One of the apostles was a doctor himself....Healing and caring for another individual in suffering is part of the miracle...:shrug:

2Hearts that was so beautiful! That is definetly one of my favorite passages from the Bible. It often keeps me going.

I really love this song as well probably, because I have been under medical care for the past 20 years fighting an auto immune disease. I believe in miracles and Gods grace. But I also believe that some miracles come from wonderful scientists who study and find new cures and advances in medical treatments.

Scientists, doctors, and nurses have taken "whatever you do to the least of these, you do unto me" to the fullest extent. To most of them they don't care who you are or what you have, they care more about what they can do to help you with your illness and pain. For that I'm forever greatful. I think this song is a wonderful blessing to those who are sick and fighting as well as to those who are trying to heal.

Clerks I'll be praying for you and wish you all the best. :hug:

starsgoblue said:
I agree with 2Hearts. So often some people of faith quickly discredit the importance/value of medicine. One of the apostles was a doctor himself....Healing and caring for another individual in suffering is part of the miracle...:shrug:

It's so unfortunate that so many people of faith do this b/c knowledge truly come from God. It our understanding of His world that allows us as humans to save and treat one another through medicine.

clerks said:

I agree with you, clerks. Miracle Drug cheered me up quite a bite, as I'm sure it has other people, too. I suffered a major psychotic breakdown, and am now discovering that I might be schizophrenic. Even if the song wasn't written for me, I can identify with it.

"Science and the human heart, there is no limit!!!" :wave:

Thanks for all the nice thoughts. I didn't mean to hijack the thread though (but yeah, I love attention!).

I'm a man of science myself. Funny that I like a band that has so many references and believes so much in God.

But that's what makes U2 great. They way they speak their beliefs through their lyrics/music really seems to connect with everyone regardless of their own beliefs.

U2 fans really are the coolest bunch around. They just see the world, the right way. They see hope. That's what I hear in all U2 songs. Hope.

Now if they can only make a drug that not only kills cancer, but gives me front row tickets to every U2 concert, now that would be a miracle drug.

As a caregiver, in the medical field and having dealt with personal illness myself, both these songs are very meaningful to me for I get to experience both sides of the coin at different times.

What everyone here said has been inspirational in many ways.

Clerks, Just wanted to wish you the best, my prayers go out to you from PA.

pollypocket said:
As a caregiver, in the medical field and having dealt with personal illness myself, both these songs are very meaningful to me for I get to experience both sides of the coin at different times.

What everyone here said has been inspirational in many ways.

Clerks, Just wanted to wish you the best, my prayers go out to you from PA.

Well I consider myself foremost a man of God, but also the son of two cancer survivors who wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for our scientific community. I've had a couple of scrapes with minor skin cancer spots due to excess sun (wear sunscreen, seriously). My family genetic history leads me to believe that I'll be facing more serious cancer when I'm older. Thankfully our scientific community is winning the battle against most cancers. I'm confident they're going to keep me alive. My heartfelt thanks to all of them.

It just goes to show that science is a gift from God they go hand in hand - it doesn't have to be one or the other. Great stories/opinions..best wishes from Angleterre!

Blessings....

Dear Clerks and anyone else who has ever dealt with or deals with a chronic illness,

God be with you and be in you. I was very sick from age 6- 20 and when I first got sick was blind in one eye for about two months( it was a neurological disease). Anyhow I have been blessed with much, beginning with my health. I have a best friend still going through a difficult disease and I always see her face when I hear the lines...

"the songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile..."

The drugs and treatments that heal are indeed inspired from God to the scientists, Bono definitely has this right.

Last year I wrote the vice-President a letter to advocate and beg for support of more research that the "Christian" lobby is trying to stop. Jesus of Nazareth was maligned for breaking the rules by healing on the Sabbath. His response was would it be better to letter someone suffer so the rules are kept?

Friends healthy and sick, we must all use our voices to stand up for all our brothers and sisters in their hospital beds.

Jesus, Jew, Mohammad....all sons of Abraham...

Love and Peace or Else,
JP

Clerks, good luck to you man and to all of the nurses, doctors caregivers and scientists - God Bless You all, let's try and remember when we all vote how important this issue is, like Trampolene said it doesn't have to be one way or the other, our intellect was given to us by God we should be able to use it!!!!

I have to admit being a relatively new member and never being on any internet forum before, this web site is absolutely amazing to me. I just want to say thanks for everyone on this thread for giving me a different perspective on this song, unfortunately my wife has been ill for going on seven years now and I truly pray for a Miracle Drug.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Clerks, good luck to you man and to all of the nurses, doctors caregivers and scientists - God Bless You all, let's try and remember when we all vote how important this issue is, like Trampolene said it doesn't have to be one way or the other, our intellect was given to us by God we should be able to use it!!!!

I have to admit being a relatively new member and never being on any internet forum before, this web site is absolutely amazing to me. I just want to say thanks for everyone on this thread for giving me a different perspective on this song, unfortunately my wife has been ill for going on seven years now and I truly pray for a Miracle Drug.

What's your wife's first name. My wife and I pray every morning and I'd be glad to include her. I'm a strong believer in prayer.

Stay stong and hopeful.
Dan

My Wife's name is Debbie and she is my everything.... Thanks Dan B I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. God Bless!!!

Back
Top Bottom