A thread for bad news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ava79

Refugee
I'm starting this thread for all of us who get bad news about the tour. I've just heard from a reliable source that U2 won't play in my country (Finland) next year. :( That's because there's just one good and big enough place in Helsinki for the concert, the Olympic Stadium, and it will be reserved for the World championships in athletics in August 2005. It's not the band's fault then, and I'm sure they would have loved to play here, keeping in mind they said the PopMart concert in Helsinki was probably the best one on that tour.

You can imagine how sad I am, as well as thousands of other U2 fans in this country.:sad: Many of us will go abroad to see our favourite band live, but it's never the same as seeing them in your country or city (IMO).

Because I'm afraid many others will get bad news about the tour as well, I've started this thread for us to show the frustration and disappointment. And also because I'd like to know I'm not alone with these sad sad news...

Well, most of Latin America will not get anything either (I think Mexico might be the only exception).

This is horribly unfair, since I have been to concerts in both Latin America and the U.S. and you cannot compare how much more passionate Latin American fans are.

But then again, it is the power of money that makes decisions, and not passion. :down:

Um, isn't South America part of Latin America? (I meant to include Brazil, Argentina and Chile in my post as well).

:huh:

Nooooo! :( I'll just have to get to Sweden then. Damn, this'll probably make getting tickets even more complicated...
It really sucks living here sometimes. ;)

You're right, U2@NYC...:wink: Finland is a great country to live in, but not even the high standard of living can take away the pain of not seeing U2 here... But what am I complaining about, they have played here twice - there's a lot of countries they have never played in!!!

I'm afraid Eastern Europe (the new EU members) won't get played either...again.

U2@NYC said:
Hey, Finland has one of the highest standard of living in the whole world... you guys rule.

True! We're really lucky. :) I shouldn't complain really, but when it comes to concerts... ;)

Ava79 said:
You're right, U2@NYC...:wink: Finland is a great country to live in, but not even the high standard of living can take away the pain of not seeing U2 here... But what am I complaining about, they have played here twice - there's a lot of countries they have never played in!!!
yeah you should be proud of your country. as for me, i guess i am the loner campaigner here for my country in this site.
mine is a developing country and has a lot of problems so similar to the countries in africa that bono and data are helping --- corruption, poverty, heavy debts, etc. but we sure love to see the band play here. then they can highlight all their advocacies as a major theme for the concert. i hope bono gives other countries in asia a second glance. japan is just one expensive place to go to.
by the way, a few months ago alicia keys was here, so were hoobastank, black eyed peas (we have one philippine born member there) and even mariah. even bigwigs like pavarotti and bocelli came here too. jacko also held an open air concert here about 5 yrs ago.
so please please consider manila.

Desire25, my fingers are crossed for you. You do deserve to see U2! Maybe with the great example of other big western bands and artists our boys would consider Manila, too. :up:

stop wining and crying about it, Finnish boys!!!I and most of Eastern Europeans will also have to go to the other country to see them--and not just for this tour---EVERY TOUR!!So,please,don't tell me it's a big thing...Life isn't perfect---even in Finland

Cheers;)

tilen said:
stop wining and crying about it, Finnish boys!!!I and most of Eastern Europeans will also have to go to the other country to see them--and not just for this tour---EVERY TOUR!!So,please,don't tell me it's a big thing...Life isn't perfect---even in Finland

Cheers;)

Huh, didn't meet to offend anyone with this thread. I do know that I sound like a spoiled prat because I won't see U2 in Finland and have the nerve to complain about it here, but all of you in the same situation know my frustration. It's very unfair that a lot of fans will never have the chance to see their favourite band OR have to use a huge amount of money to travel abroad to see them. I wish every U2 fan could see them live at least once in their life, but as you said, life isn't perfect. Not even in here.

And P.S. I'm a Finnish girl. :)

Well I won't be counting 100% that U2 would play in Mexico City last Elevation Tour they didn't.

But who knows! :huh:

well, ava79, i couldn't agree more!
But here comes the mighty hand of capitalism----the management first checks out and calculates all the options---whether the show would make profit or not. That's why i think Latin America is out of the Picture,and Africa as well----they can't afford to make all that money in US an Europe,then spend it all unwisely for costs of getting the show down there---plus people don't have such financial powers as citizens of America,Europe,Japan,Australia...
And considering all that, i still don't have any idea why Suomi was (will be) left out of the picture??
So,you have my empathy..

bye now:shrug:

tilen said:
well, ava79, i couldn't agree more!
But here comes the mighty hand of capitalism----the management first checks out and calculates all the options---whether the show would make profit or not. That's why i think Latin America is out of the Picture,and Africa as well----they can't afford to make all that money in US an Europe,then spend it all unwisely for costs of getting the show down there---plus people don't have such financial powers as citizens of America,Europe,Japan,Australia...
And considering all that, i still don't have any idea why Suomi was (will be) left out of the picture??
So,you have my empathy..

bye now:shrug:

Yep, it's all about money, money, money...:( Not that it was in any way right or fair, but this is where the world has come to. If it was up to the guys of U2 I bet the tour would reach every corner of the world (keeping in mind their gig in Sarajevo, for example). But as things aren't as simple as that, a lot of countries will never see the band because of the great (?) financial risks.

Finland will be left out of the picture simply because of a bad timing. Since the Olympic Stadium is the only big enough place for U2 to play in Finland and it's reserved for the world championships...well, you know the rest. :mad: The guy from Welldone Agency & Promotion (they brought U2 to Finland in 1997) said in a newspaper that they certainly would have made an offer if the stadium hadn't been reserved, but as the situation is as it is, they can't do anything. So it'll be a bad year for them as they can't bring any big bands to Finland - I mean BIG like U2, who need the stadium.

Oh well, you have my empathy too. :hug: Let's just start saving money so that we can afford to travel abroad and see our favourite band..!

Back
Top Bottom