A Solution to Help all those Left Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RadRacer said:
ColdPlayFan,

Flame you for your valuable insight? Only a fool would do that. As for myself, I found myself agreeing with virtually all of it.

A suspicion dawned on me from the very early days when I hopped onto Interference. I knew something smelled really bad about this, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it and I got rejected with a strong kick. There are a lot of idiots running around here who wouldn't know the truth if it hit them over the head with a rock. I think a lot of interferencers should check yours and STING2's post out.

:sigh: I hate to see good work just fade away. I'll edit you and other great contributers to this cause up good and publish it here for more people to understand... just need some time....

MASTURBATORY

I bet the security costs alone to play a stadium would be astronomical....

Any band of stature and popularity will have a high demand for tickets and scalpers, agencies, etc. coming around to make a quick buck. Wait til McCartney goes on sale this week. It will be a f**king nightmare trying to get tickets. Short tour with limited dates - again assuming he will add some. And the high face value price for tickets...

Lisa71,

Thank you also for responding to the second part of my original post, about the one-total-leg sale. Many here mistook this thread for an argument entirely about a stadia tour, when, in reality, it's about reaching as many fans as possible, and meeting demand perfectly. Yes, I think it's sloppy going, right now.
Lisa71:
Even if overall they still make money by doing it I think it's not fair to ask them to play to 1/2 empty stadiums in certain markets. They are still loosing money.
You're still lagging behind in your thinking. I already revised and stated my opinion as: Market-researched, specifically targeted selection of Arena or Stadium per individual location.

After this, playing to a half-empty stadium would only be the result of poor market research, or bad luck. If they still play to a half-empty stadium, under the given conditions, and you think that is not fair, then what you are basically asking is that U2 do not go on tour ever again, because there is always a certain risk that you overshoot/misjudge demand, unless U2 take the precaution and use excessive hype to fill up their stadia with certainty. But if they concentrated so much on hype, would they still be U2?

~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Please,

Lila64 and others,

I cordially invite you to go back and read Sting2's post; it could be ZooTV all over, again. I don't see a reason to defend U2's decision to play Arenas on financial grounds p.e.r.i.o.d.

Can we pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaase move on and talk about this:
Originally dropped by RadRacer WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back at the beginning!!!!! :
I have a proposition to make that would make it fairer for real U2 fans: Why not put all the announced shows on one leg on sale the same day, the same hour. I know ticketmaster would be overloaded, but wouldn't it make all the U2 fans buy tickets at their nearest venue, before trying to get tickets for other cities? Think about it, with the way it's now, people from California are trying to get tickets for Florida because they have the time and because, once fans have been shut out from their local venue, many are willing to pay extra for it. If it would be done this way, you could still go and see U2 on multiple dates, via friends, release of additional tickets as the date nears, or a (fortunately weakend) eBay/scalper/ticket broker avenue. But, wouldn't it be nicer to know that every city you see them in would, first and foremost, include local fans in the audience?
I am pro-seeing-multiple-shows, just not the way it's currently going.

Well what can I say but in Europe there are a lot of stadium concerts, the one I am going to is in a football stadium and U2 have always performed their concerts in Scotland in a stadium, then again there is only one Scottish concert and I have to travel a few hours and then stay overnight to see them but who cares as long as I see the bhoys.

For those that are "left out" look harder...every single show has not been truly been sold out. Hundreds of tickets are available all over the place for face value, and in many cases less than face.

Oh, CMB, why don't you get us some tickets, then, if they're so abundant and easy to get?

Well, maybe you're too busy to answer my e-mail, which I had sent off with an easy-to-spot subject line, a couple of weeks ago, when last you spoke shit like that. You're probably too busy helping a thousand other fans get tickets that you don't even have time to answer me. NOW THAT, I can understand.

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!!! This is perhaps the end of the argument for the folks at Interference. Just do me one favor and just think about the following for a moment:

When Audioslave and other popular bands start noticing: "Hey, something's wrong with OUR fans! They're not passionate - they're just comfortable, coming to smoke and drink, instead of to rock. It didn't use to be like that!" Maybe then, Interferencers will start picking up their newspapers and see bands making a fuss about the way tickets are being sold - after you've been bleeding your wallet dry for the luxury you once could afford. Maybe at that time, a couple will go: "Oh yeah, wasn't there this asshole on Interference, who said something like that? I hate to admit it, but - Hell! - I guess he was right! But now that I hear it from Bono's lips, it MUST be true, because I don't believe any young kid who just pops up from the virtual unknown; that would be injurious to my pride. I only believe those who get all the hype."

RadRacer said:
Oh, CMB, why don't you get us some tickets, then, if they're so abundant and easy to get?

Well, maybe you're too busy to answer my e-mail, which I had sent off with an easy-to-spot subject line, a couple of weeks ago, when last you spoke shit like that. You're probably too busy helping a thousand other fans get tickets that you don't even have time to answer me. NOW THAT, I can understand.

He probably didn't answer you because you seem completely unwilling to do anything to help yourself. Because you couldn't get tickets the day they went on sale you are bitching and whining at the people who are willing to keep searching for tickets and are often rewarded for their efforts. You seem to want everyone to help you, but when the offer advice on where to look for tickets or how they found them (sometimes great tickets on the day of the show even) you complain that you don't have time to work that hard. That's fine. But then don't bitch that no one is helping you get tickets. No one likes a whiner...and no one wants to help one either.

RadRacer said:
OOTS,

60rose,

This will probably confuse, and perhaps even infuriate, you, but about a month ago, I saw people on this forum thanking eBay (read: the scalper community on eBay) and calling it a lifesaver for GIVING them the opportunity to get into all those sold-out shows. ... I can only imagine the gratitude with which they mortgaged their home to afford this "lifesaving".

RR,

Exactly, It's like thanking the IRS for an Audit.

Sidenote. I flew last week to Denver1. Buddy got me tickets (and unlike the minions of soccer mom biatches on ebay, trying to make extra money for their spa treatments, he didn't try and make a small fortune off me).

Still had nosebleeds, but at leat they weren't behind the stage like LA1.

Still looking for GAs to LA in November. I just can't go the ebay route...

What I find ironic about the whole ticket demand issue is that, with the exception of SD1, the arenas have been filled with a number of what I'd call "casual fans" at best. I know the demand is huge, there is know doubt about that. But how the hell are these people getting tickets in the face of this demand???

At SD2, I had a seat in the lower loge, and the whole section sat for the bulk of the concert. I was even asked to sit down myself (I refused). At ANA1, from GA, I noticed whole sections of the upper level seated for a good portion of the concert. At a SJ1, some sections wouldn't even get off their feets when the lights came on at the end of Streets. This is unprecedented.

I don't know if the fans base is just getting old, or if the set list is slanted toward the more die-hard fans, so many people are unfamiliar with some songs. But I'm seeing a large number of people with little passion for the band getting tickets, while more rabid fans are being left out.

Would a stadium tour rectify this situation? ISure, more fans would be able to get tickets, but there would probably be a tone of people who are there just because they heard that U2 was a cool band to see live.

Back
Top Bottom