A letter to U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srl124

The Fly
To: U2.com
Cc: U2 community

Dear U2.com

I was one of the fortunate U2.com subscribers to successfully purchase two (2) tickets for the “North American Tour” (now referred to as the “opening leg”) albeit they are in the nosebleed section at a venue hundreds of miles from home. But what can I say? I’m a big fan and would travel any distance to see U2 live.

Unfortunately, many U2.com subscribers were not as lucky. Many were left without tickets for the “North American Tour,” as technology and logistics failed us. The promise that paid-up U2.Com subscribers could purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America in a pre-sale was not honored.

What many us of us didn’t know at the time was that another U.S. leg would be launched. Rightfully so, the band, led by Larry, has corrected the situation for ticketless U2.com/’Propaganda’ subscribers by giving them the very first opportunity to purchase tickets for this additional U.S. leg.

Here’s the problem: U2.com still has failed to honor the promise above. I, a paid-up U2.com subscriber, have not been allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America. I have only been allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America IN THE OPENING LEG.

You have corrected the issue of unfairness for those ticketless U2.com/’Propaganda’ subscribers by launching an additional U.S. leg and giving them an extra-special pre-sale window.

In the meantime, another issue of unfairness has surfaced: U2.com subscribers who successfully purchased tickets in the first pre-sale were only allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America IN THE OPENING LEG.

Of course, it could be said that ticketless U2.com/’Propaganda’ subscribers were only allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America IN THE THIRD LEG. However, U2 is returning to several locations and have added 20 new venues for the additional U.S. leg. Twenty new venues!

Now, I understand that U2.com cannot allow the U2.com members who successfully purchased tickets during the first pre-sale to participate in another pre-sale of tickets for the additional U.S. leg; this would mean that we were allowed four (4) tickets for any two (2) shows, which certainly is not fair. So, I’m not asking for this.

Just promise us - the entire U2.com community and ‘Propaganda’ subscribers - that U2 will go on tour again and that all these issues will get ironed out in a fair manner next time!

Best Regards,

SF

srl124 said:
What many us of us didn’t know at the time was that another U.S. leg would be launched.

This was widely known. Even the press-releases said they would return to North America in the fall.

Here’s the problem: U2.com still has failed to honor the promise above. I, a paid-up U2.com subscriber, have not been allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America. I have only been allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America IN THE OPENING LEG.

You are contradicting yourself here. You have been allowed to purchase up to two tickets for an indoor show. By choosing to use it for a show on the first leg, you automatically passed up your opportunity to buy it on the third leg. Those who held out buying a show on the first leg can do so now.

In the meantime, another issue of unfairness has surfaced: U2.com subscribers who successfully purchased tickets in the first pre-sale were only allowed to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show in North America IN THE OPENING LEG.

Again, you state that those who bought tickets for the first leg bought tickets for the first leg. :der:

Now, I understand that U2.com cannot allow the U2.com members who successfully purchased tickets during the first pre-sale to participate in another pre-sale of tickets for the additional U.S. leg; this would mean that we were allowed four (4) tickets for any two (2) shows, which certainly is not fair. So, I’m not asking for this.

Just promise us - the entire U2.com community and ‘Propaganda’ subscribers - that U2 will go on tour again and that all these issues will get ironed out in a fair manner next time!

Best Regards,

SF

But what are you asking then?
:confused:

Marty

Re: Re: A letter to U2.com

Popmartijn said:

This was widely known. Even the press-releases said they would return to North America in the fall.

Sure and fair enough. They said they'd return. Did they say where? Speaking for myself here, but probably representing at least a few,...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Not all of us have the jing to travel around to whichever venue we please.

Popmartijn said:

You are contradicting yourself here. You have been allowed to purchase up to two tickets for an indoor show. By choosing to use it for a show on the first leg, you automatically passed up your opportunity to buy it on the third leg. Those who held out buying a show on the first leg can do so now.

How was I to know that I could purchase tickets for a Fall venue located TWO MILES from my home? For fear that I would pass up all chances of seeing U2 live, I bought tickets for the closest venue (shelling out hundreds in transportation and lodging). How is that fair?

Popmartijn said:

Again, you state that those who bought tickets for the first leg bought tickets for the first leg. :der:

Sorry you're confused. Just trying to drive home the point that many of us had to buy what we could buy, NOT KNOWING WHAT THE FUTURE HELD IN TERMS OF ANOTHER LEG AND MORE VENUES. If you lived 600 miles from a venue and didn't know if U2 would play a venue just 2 miles from your home, what would you do? Wait and perhaps travel 1200 miles? Come on, an informed decision would have been nice.

Popmartijn said:

But what are you asking then?
:confused:

Marty

I'll say it again...Just promise us - the entire U2.com community and ‘Propaganda’ subscribers - that U2 will go on tour again and that all these issues will get ironed out in a fair manner next time!

Do Miss America said:
I think you should keep the letter to yourself for it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm sorry. First off, I'll try to be more clear next time. Secondly, I guess I mistook this for a FORUM.

Re: Re: Re: A letter to U2.com

srl124 said:
I'll say it again...Just promise us - the entire U2.com community and ‘Propaganda’ subscribers - that U2 will go on tour again and that all these issues will get ironed out in a fair manner next time!

They have never done this in the past and I doubt they will in the future.

Re: Re: Re: A letter to U2.com

srl124 said:

, NOT KNOWING WHAT THE FUTURE HELD IN TERMS OF ANOTHER LEG AND MORE VENUES. If you lived 600 miles from a venue and didn't know if U2 would play a venue just 2 miles from your home, what would you do? Wait and perhaps travel 1200 miles? Come on, an informed decision would have been nice.
Imagine that, not knowing what the future would hold. Its kind of the definition of "future" you know.
I doubt that U2 knew the exact 3rd leg itinerary at the time of the 1st leg presale, so they couldn't have supplied you with this information.
What they did supply you with however was the info that they planned on a return to N. America in the fall, and the fact that if you didn't use your presale code for leg 1, you would have the opportunity to use it for leg 3.
So if you chose to use it for Chicago or wherever, that was a choice you made as an adult, you also chose to incur the travel expenses, Bono didn't twist your arm while Edge raided your wallet. There was plenty of speculation about the cities to be included in the fall, and Minny was definitely mentioned, so you could have put stock in rumor and hearsay and waited, but you didn't. However, you can still attend the show 2 miles from home, just have to get tickets in the public sale, it should be do-able for the Twin cities, demand won't be like NYC, Chi-Town and Beantown.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A letter to U2.com

Hewson said:
Imagine that, not knowing what the future would hold. Its kind of the definition of "future" you know.

You know, I truly understand all these comments (well, except the comment above; really, that's a rather condescending statement and contributes so very little to your argument) . I doubt they knew their itinerary too. But I'll tell ya, I have yet to locate an official press release stating that they had planned to return in the fall and play Minneapolis. You can bet your sweet rear I would have waited and as you said, "put stock in rumor and hearsay." But I guess, 'my bad' if I missed that press info. Have a copy laying around so I can put this to rest?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A letter to U2.com

srl124 said:

You know, I truly understand all these comments (well, except the comment above; really, that's a rather condescending statement and contributes so very little to your argument) . I doubt they knew their itinerary too. But I'll tell ya, I have yet to locate an official press release stating that they had planned to return in the fall and play Minneapolis. You can bet your sweet rear I would have waited and as you said, "put stock in rumor and hearsay." But I guess, 'my bad' if I missed that press info. Have a copy laying around so I can put this to rest?

Are you saying that 10-12 months of tour dates are supposed to be released at one time? That's a lot to be asking for...

If you already doubt that U2 knew of their 3rd leg "itinerary" (before the 1st leg ticket sales), then obviously you can't blame them for scheduling a concert AFTER you (and the rest of the U2.com subscribers) participated in the sales.

BTW, why don't you just sell the tickets (fairly) and take your shot in the general sale? Worst case, you don't get tickets but still have 100-200 dollars (and 6 months or so) going towards buying tickets for the Minneapolis show.

srl124 said:

Just take a look at previous tours as an example or just peek in here. It was pretty obvious they were coming back to the states and playing a lot more dates. And a major city like Minneapolis, it's a given.

srl124 said:
I doubt they knew their itinerary too. But I'll tell ya, I have yet to locate an official press release stating that they had planned to return in the fall and play Minneapolis. You can bet your sweet rear I would have waited and as you said, "put stock in rumor and hearsay." But I guess, 'my bad' if I missed that press info. Have a copy laying around so I can put this to rest?
Obviously there was never an official release, otherwise you'd have known the itinerary. I said there were many rumored city lists (on this site and a number of others) which had Minny listed as a likely 3rd leg city. My point was that you knew your code could be saved for fall leg, so you had 2 choices, use it for Chicago in May or wait and hope that they come to Minny( or if they didn't you could have used it for a travel show instead in the fall). You chose the former and are now obviously regretting that decision, I'm sorry about that for you and others, but its still not like the band intentionally planned their tour itinerary so as to force people to travel in spring and sit home in fall while a show happens 2 miles down the street.

The band lets out information as they can, they announced some time ago that they'd be touring, hitting the US twice, spring and fall. They had to alter the spring a bit, so obviously after that happened, they aren't going to announce fall cities and dates on speculation, they have to wait till dates are firmed up.

As for my original comment, it was in direct reference to your statement about the band letting you know their future itinerary, just my way of saying that obviously we'd all like to know the future (like tonight's lottery numbers now would be nice), but just doesn't work that way. Not meant to offend.
Wishing you luck in the Minny general sale.

From www.atu2.com:

NEW @U2 U2.COM OPENS ANOTHER DOOR FOR MEMBERS TO GET TICKETS
March 10, 2005
posted by: m2
A group of U2.com members who used their presale code for the 1st leg of the Vertigo Tour received a treat last night: an email offering them a chance to get better seats during today's presale. The email from U2.com explains the situation:

"We now have some tickets for the Fall leg that we can offer to some subscribers - like you - who bought tickets first time round which might not have been your first choice. In this allocation we have no GA/floor tickets left, but we have got tickets throughout the venue and at each of the shows which are listed for this week's public on-sale."

The email goes on to say that U2.com wanted to get these extra tickets in the hands of members "rather than turn them back" (i.e. - return them to the general sale ticket pool). The email says the offer will extend to next week's presales, and that U2.com will send out a reminder next week.

We don't know how U2.com is determining who gets this offer, but our source is not one of the fans who filed a complaint during the first presale. Our guess is that the offer is being sent to some fans who tried to purchase GA or $160-level tickets, but were offered lower-priced seats in the upper levels instead. Ticketmaster would likely have a record of this. Regardless of the "whos" and "hows" ... nice move, U2.com!

Anyone get this e-mail?

stop :censored: whining!

i'm so tired of everyone moaning and complaining on this board and on zootopia....

yeah, you have a right to your opinion and even to vent on a message board....but this is getting out of hand. what does everyone expect from this band?...the sun, moon, and stars?! they've done soooo much for us all! be grateful you have ANY TICKETS and shut-up!

i think that just being nasty for the sake of being nasty, about a band you're SUPPOSED TO LOVE is, IMO, ridiculous!

:rant: :yell:

Last edited:
NEW @U2 U2.COM OPENS ANOTHER DOOR FOR MEMBERS TO GET TICKETS
March 10, 2005
posted by: m2
A group of U2.com members who used their presale code for the 1st leg of the Vertigo Tour received a treat last night: an email offering them a chance to get better seats during today's presale. The email from U2.com explains the situation:

"We now have some tickets for the Fall leg that we can offer to some subscribers - like you - who bought tickets first time round which might not have been your first choice. In this allocation we have no GA/floor tickets left, but we have got tickets throughout the venue and at each of the shows which are listed for this week's public on-sale."

The email goes on to say that U2.com wanted to get these extra tickets in the hands of members "rather than turn them back" (i.e. - return them to the general sale ticket pool). The email says the offer will extend to next week's presales, and that U2.com will send out a reminder next week.

We don't know how U2.com is determining who gets this offer, but our source is not one of the fans who filed a complaint during the first presale. Our guess is that the offer is being sent to some fans who tried to purchase GA or $160-level tickets, but were offered lower-priced seats in the upper levels instead. Ticketmaster would likely have a record of this. Regardless of the "whos" and "hows" ... nice move, U2.com!

oh.
ok.

but never mind someone like me who PAID $400 for 2 tickets on the side of the stage and then the seating charts CHANGED 3 TIMES after the fact and was stuck in the back of the arena, so out of self-dignity I returned those tickets and am now left with nothing.

oh.
and I can't use my presale code ever again.

oh.
and I can't get my $40 back from that piece of shit u2.com.

thanks guys.

YEAH QUIT COMPLAINING. YOU AMERICANS ARE ALWAYS GRUMBLING!!! WE ARE LUCKY U2 ARE TOURING, TIME TO DROP IT NOW!!!!:mad:

Last edited:
popbellydancer said:

i'm so tired of everyone moaning and complaining on this board and on zootopia....

yeah, you have a right to your opinion and even to vent on a message board....but this is getting out of hand. what does everyone expect from this band?...the sun, moon, and stars?! they've done soooo much for us all! be grateful you have ANY TICKETS and shut-up!

i think that just being nasty for the sake of being nasty, about a band you're SUPPOSED TO LOVE is, IMO, ridiculous!

I agree...it seems to me that everyone is blaming the band for things that may or may not be in their control.

In regards to the first post that started this...did you also send a copy to Ticketmaster??? Could it be partly Ticketmaster's fault???

Maybe you should rethink why you became a member of U2.com...this club is for fans of the band and their music. Sure, there are perks to being a member but sometimes things happen that can't be helped.

I believe that the band did what they could to accomodate as many fans as possible after the first presale so I think that we should let it go.

YEAH QUIT COMPLAINING. YOU AMERICANS ARE ALWAYS GRUMBLING!!! WE ARE LUCKY U2 ARE TOURING, TIME TO DROP IT NOW!!!!:mad:

popbellydancer said:

You are talking about it whith us cause you got tickets, and can't understand ours problems.

shy said:

You are talking about it whith us cause you got tickets, and can't understand ours problems.

So far I haven't read anyone posting whether or not they have tickets. Just because we think the subject should be dropped does not mean we have tickets.

But since you brought it up, I know several people in the same situation but they are not airing their dirty laundry over the message boards and they are NOT blaming U2 for the presale mess.

What about Ticketmaster and ticket scalpers???

There are all sorts of factors to consider. This was the first tour that Prop members had to get their tickets through ticketmaster. Before it was much easier to get propaganda tickets and those would be the only tickets a fan could get for face value. Ticketmaster just sucks...and I feel they are more to blame for the ticket mess than anything else. And, truthfully that's mostly b/c of technology, automated systems, and phone lines.

Blaming the band is a little radical, don't you think???

I started this thread and had no idea it was still going. First off, I'm totally embarassed and feel terrible...

Yes, blaming U2 is totally radical and this was not my intention. I just wanted to say that a lot of issues need to be ironed out next time around. This entire series of mishaps is simply a technology issue...U2.com (not U2!) and Ticketmaser simply didn't anticipate all the gliches and loopholes. Yes, I did send an email to Ticketmaster too.

And now, I'm truly sorry I started this thread. I hope everyone gets tickets to at least one show.

On another note, I've heard plenty of non-Americans complaining about ticket problems. So pointing fingers at Americans?...that's just the pot calling the kettle black. We all complain; it's human nature, not American nature.

I think we can all agree that U2 would not want angry threads like this. Let's put this to rest..

Back
Top Bottom