A Disgruntled Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennerado

Refugee
For the longest time, I have had faith in this band. For the longest time I have kept telling myself that they will come. Somehow I dont see it happening.

As I sit here in Melbourne, I can't help but feel angery. I am angry U2 has left the fans not just in Australia, but the ENTIRE Southern Hemisphere out in the cold about touring.Furthermore, I am pissed that we may not get what the US and Europe are so god damn friggen lucky to see.

We loyal fans down here have been shit on. We buy the albums, support the band and all because they wont make a few extra bucks if they come here, they leave us off the schedule.

Hey maybe its management to blame, maybe an accountant needs to be fired.

As the weeks go I am losing more and more faith that one day we will see the band on our shores again.

For love or money? I guess its the money.

:scratch: I've heard several people speak about them planning to tour Australia in early 2006. I'm sure you'll get to see them.

And btw. For love or money? Well, let's put it this way...there is a reason why they are not touring in certain parts of the world. Would you like to pay 2,000,000 $ for playing at an empty stadium?

I'm sure they're going to Australia, though.

Last edited:
they'll be here. :)

another thread stated we may even see stadiums in oz?
i wish they could fit that damn screen indoors on the off chance the stadium thing fell through...:drool:
its been so long since popmart...

I really understand your frustration, I'd be just as pissed off I were you.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that they WILL come your way this time :hug:

:scratch: not sure I get this thread, seeing as there's rumours like this all over the place.

In the name of love -– and big ticket sales -– Irish supergroup U2 are likely to play Wellington next year as part of their world tour.

Music industry sources in Australia told The Dominion Post that U2 were seriously considering playing New Zealand early next year once the band confirmed dates in Australia.

U2 are touring Europe till late August, then the United States for the rest of the year. They plan to play Japan and Australia in January and February.

The band has the pulling power to fill Wellington's Westpac Stadium, which sold more than 30,000 tickets to Neil Diamond's show in March.

But sources said U2 had preferred indoor venues on their tours and this was likely to influence their decision. Wellington's biggest indoor venue, the Events Centre, can hold about 5000, which could mean more than one concert.

Centre manager Neville Brown said he had had no contact about U2 playing at the waterfront venue.

The boss of Auckland's planned 12,000-seat Vector Arena said in May that there was "more than a chance" U2 would play Auckland next year.

Industry sources in Wellington said contracts had been signed in New Zealand to supply sound equipment for U2 shows in the capital.

Westpac Stadium chief executive David Gray said he had not been directly contacted about U2 playing there next year. But it was possible promoters -– without mentioning U2 by name -– were considering bringing the band here.

"There are a lot of inquiries about dates. It's the usual story, you get calls from promoters (and) you don't know what the act is.

"We are not in direct negotiations with anybody, but we're aware that U2 is a possibility of touring this part of the world."

Pacific Entertainment Promotions director Ian Magan had heard nothing about U2 appearing in Wellington, neither had U2's last down-under tour operator, Australia's Dainty Consolidated Entertainment.

U2 last played Auckland and Christchurch in 1993, but Wellington did not have a big enough venue.

source

http://www.stuff.co.nz/

Yes, be patient my friend, hopefully you will get to see the band play.

As much as I find it cool that the band is playing 8 nights in my city, I find it shitty that they are not (are at least have not yet announced) going down under.

All you can do is have faith, and if they fail, well, they have failed you...

:scratch: I dont quite get the timing on this thread either. Is there some new information saying they are not going to Australia? As it stands now, Vertigo is coming to Australia.

Regarding U2 not going there on Elevation. Actually, if an accountant or management advised them to go into a venture that would cause them to only break even, or worse, lose money, they should be fired for that! For the love a music is only part of it. Its a business as well. There are people other than the band that work for the band or indirectly for the band that depend on their touring, album sales, etc.. that factor into whether touring in certain places is economical or makes good business sense. For an artist of U2's caliber to not make any money playing live, or worse, lose money playing is ridiculous. I understand the frustration, but I dont think many people would do something for work, that they would have to pay their employer to do it. :shrug:

Hey kennerado I share in your frustration. It's August and still no confirmation - and that's the key word, there might be 101 rumours but no actual confirmation.

As regards Elevation, at the beginning of that tour it was announced that U2 would be coming to Australia in our spring, then Sept 11 happened, and they cancelled and did another US leg. At least that is my understanding. I certainly remember the Australian tour being announced.

According to the U2 Live Concert Doco book , they were planning to come here before the tour, and the accountant they hired made sure they didnt come to Australia (And South America ect ect).

blueeyedgirl said:
Hey kennerado I share in your frustration. It's August and still no confirmation - and that's the key word, there might be 101 rumours but no actual confirmation.

As regards Elevation, at the beginning of that tour it was announced that U2 would be coming to Australia in our spring, then Sept 11 happened, and they cancelled and did another US leg. At least that is my understanding. I certainly remember the Australian tour being announced.

The third leg in the U.S. on Elevation was announced and planned well ahead of Sept 11. The decision to not go to Australia was decided early on in the Elevation tour (end of the first leg), it had nothing to do with Sept 11. From what I have heard U2 submitted the info to the promoters in Australia as to what it would cost to bring U2 there and the promoters could not afford it. So U2 did not go there.

Blue Room said:

The third leg in the U.S. on Elevation was announced and planned well ahead of Sept 11. The decision to not go to Australia was decided early on in the Elevation tour (end of the first leg), it had nothing to do with Sept 11. From what I have heard U2 submitted the info to the promoters in Australia as to what it would cost to bring U2 there and the promoters could not afford it. So U2 did not go there.

Exactly. While I hope that U2 does make it down under, let's keep things in perspective.

While the So. Hemi. got the short stick on the Elevation Tour, it is bit trite to claim that U2 does not care about them. As a wise person once said, it's not about quantity, it's about quality. For the past four albums (JT/R&H, AB/Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB), the Southern Hemisphere got skipped only ONCE, and that was during the Elevation Tour. Additionally, (a) there were no Lovetown shows in the US; (b) the later legs on ZooTV (BTW, the US has only heard one Zooropa song) and Popmart were apparently better productions (certainly bootleg wise) when compared to the US legs on those tours.

In relation to Elevation:

U2 were all set to tour Oz in early 2002. The cost of tickets was going to be rather high however. As a result, the band tried to 'add value' to the tickets with extra support acts. The bill was to include No Doubt and Powderfinger plus one or two more Australian bands.

It was all set to go, then U2 pulled out at the last minute for financial reasons. I asked Paul McG when I was in Ireland for Slane and he told me it would just cost too much to bring the tour down under as our dollar was so bad.

In relation to Vertigo:

I spoke with Ticketek people a little while back and they told me that contracts had been signed between them and U2 and it was just a matter of finalising. Initially, they were playing here in early January in indoor venues (the are dates listed still on accessallareas.com.au) but it looks like thats all changed due to the Australian Open Tennis and Commonwealth Games.

My guess is April 2006 in stadiums.

MTEdge said:

Exactly. While I hope that U2 does make it down under, let's keep things in perspective.

While the So. Hemi. got the short stick on the Elevation Tour, it is bit trite to claim that U2 does not care about them. As a wise person once said, it's not about quantity, it's about quality. For the past four albums (JT/R&H, AB/Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB), the Southern Hemisphere got skipped only ONCE, and that was during the Elevation Tour. Additionally, (a) there were no Lovetown shows in the US; (b) the later legs on ZooTV (BTW, the US has only heard one Zooropa song) and Popmart were apparently better productions (certainly bootleg wise) when compared to the US legs on those tours.

Well I'm glad we agree that there was going to be an Elevation Oz tour but it didnt' happen.

I take a few issues with the above in that it must be remembered that when they did tour the Southern Hemisphere, they did so LONG AFTER THE FACT. And often LONG AFTER THE VIDEOS/DVDS. ie we tend to get to see them when we know what's coming, there are no surprises left and they are well and truly stuck in the groove. I saw them in 1984 and everyone expected it to be UABRS. Zoo TV they tended to go through the same motions night after night. This tour I haven't read the set lists etc because I expect it to be more of the same, unfortunately.

The only one which was different was Lovetown. And that's so it wouldn't be JT/R&H Part 2.

This is not griping but I'd like people to appreciate how lucky they get to see them fresh, other parts of their audience don't always have the chance.

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I'd just like to know what a gruntled fan is? :hmm:

Sings: "Where you live surely decides, if you see U2....or whether denied."

Frankly, this ZooTV Sydney veteran Australian is losing a lot of interest and may not bother spending my 'hard-earned on a rock show' even if they do come.

There'll probably be a Vertigo DVD or two out in the shops anyway by then.

Bad Templar said:
Sings: "Where you live surely decides, if you see U2....or whether denied."

Frankly, this ZooTV Sydney veteran Australian is losing a lot of interest and may not bother spending my 'hard-earned on a rock show' even if they do come.

There'll probably be a Vertigo DVD or two out in the shops anyway by then.
so you have cried and moaned to get them over there, and when they just might you wont even go and see them?

KUEFC09U2 said:
so you have cried and moaned to get them over there, and when they just might you wont even go and see them?

I don't remember crying and moaning...even if I did it would fall on deaf ear$.

I may have expressed the desire of seeing them again a few months ago.

No, I've just lost interest in the album and the tour...perhaps I've contracted attention deficit disorder or something.

Unlike city fans... I also have airfare and accommodation considerations.

My guess is April 2006 in stadiums.

Stadiums! Uh, I hope not. Especially when U2 were interviewed earlier in the year and said we'd get arenas because we missed out on the Elevation tour. Also stadiums would mean fewer shows and after Zoo TV (x2, both Sydney shows) and PopMart (x3, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney) I really want to see them in arenas. I reckon Australian stadium crowds are hopeless. The intimacy of arenas would make people focus better on the music.

just think, if u2 didn't take these extravagent (sp?) private jets then i'm sure there would be plenty of money to take the tour to australia (apart from taking the tour to australia hehe)
also isn't this going to be THE highest grossing tour of 2005? (plus if people have already paid their money for the us/europe tours, they should already have the profits from the tours)

there is no excuse this time not to take the tour down under

burns said:
just think, if u2 didn't take these extravagent (sp?) private jets then i'm sure there would be plenty of money to take the tour to australia (apart from taking the tour to australia hehe)

They've been renting the jets since ZooTV, I don't think that's it lol.

Really hope you guys get some dates announced soon! :(

It is an afailing of U2 that they haven't toured Aust/NZ for what will be a minimum of 8 years. I honestly cannot think of any other touring band with the same amount of concerts being played that has overlooked the antipodies to this extent.

And as I've pointed out time and time again... they do it every time. Aust/NZ got the 5th leg of ZooTV, the final leg of PopMart etc etc. In all facets they are an afterthought. Some would point out they got the first crack at UF... which was actually an encore of UABRS & the band struggling through the UF tracklist. The US may also envy Lovetown... a tour only created because the band decided R&H was a more worthwhile project than an Australian JT Tour.

Like most here... I'm growing pretty tierd of it. :sigh:

popmart86 said:
PUH, YOU'RE LUCKY TO HAVE GOTTEN AN OFFICIAL U2 MARKED HOME VIDEO IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY, yeah that's right.

Yeah, you said it right. A VHS Video release (better than nothing? Yes)
But your country...has hmmm let me see 1 Concert + 1 Concert Movie + Another one on the way + they tour the US all the time.
A VHS video from 13 or whatever years ago means absoulute Jack shit.

They can tour the US as bloody much as they want. But dont leave the rest of the world out in the cold (and that does not mean just Australia) South America, Mexico, New Zealand, countless other places miss out too....Yes U2 are a business, and Businesses go where the money is but its not fair to those buy all the records, singles, iPods ect ect.
They love the band as much as the US and Europe do

They almost missed us on Zoo TV, they were almost here for Elevation, and they may well miss us again this tour.

Dont get me wrong, I love this band...I doubt I will ever stop...but Didnt you love it when it wasnt about the money?

Back
Top Bottom