'A Celebration:' Why rarely played live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NHChris

The Fly
I've never heard 'A Celebration' played live, but I loved it when it came out as a single 'way-back-when.' Seems like a very 'simple' song to play live, yet also a song that could get an arena jumping. Any thoughts as to why this gem rarely sees the light of day?

Chris in New Hampshire

Last edited:
Because its not on a album and it wasnt released worldwide. It was played live quite a bit in 1982 and briefly in 1983. Supposedly they tried to do it in soundcheck again in the mid to late 80's and Edge could not remember the guitar part. So they never tried it again. There was a rumor they rehearsed it in Mexico for Vertigo but I think it was merely a rumor that was not based on any type of fact.

I would LOVE to see the boys pull "a celebration" out of their hats! OMG....I would just flip:faint: ...hopefully if it happens I will be at that concert... If I get another chance to meet with bono or edge I will ask them that for sure!

Its on the setlist for Boston May 28.
Of course thats the setlist that I wrote which also includes Acrobat, Spanish Eyes, Like a Song and several other rarities.
Anyone who meets the band between now and then let them know to start rehearsing these songs.:wink:

I spoke to Steve Lillywhite in the ellipse at Anaheim night 1 and asked him about rumored songs that were rehearsed. When I mentioned A Celebration, he said jokingly "U2 deny they even have a song called A Celebration". If this song was played in Mexico, then I suspect it never was seriously considered to be played live.

Steve did confirm that Lemon was rehearsed, though he was not with the boys in Mexico. He joined them starting with the Vancouver rehearsals.

Halup said:
I spoke to Steve Lillywhite in the ellipse at Anaheim night 1 and asked him about rumored songs that were rehearsed. When I mentioned A Celebration, he said jokingly "U2 deny they even have a song called A Celebration".

Then I guess the video is a mirage, too :wink:

'A Celebration' must be U2s biggest 'Easter Egg.' You can barely find reference to it on u2.com!!

Last edited:
It never even made it onto "the best of 1980-1990", although its B-side "trash, trampoline and the party girl" did.

It really seems that they have forgotten about it existing, which is a shame, as it is a great track

A fan asked Bono outside of the HP Pavillion on the 9th.....

Fan: Any chance we'll see "A Celebration"?
Bono: (laughs) No, no. I don't think so.

In the book "Into the Heart" Bono is kind of dismissive about "A Celebration". It doesn't seem to be a favourite of the bands for some reason though I'd love to hear it live. And there is a video for it as NHChris says.

I'm starting to think that we over-rate it a bit on here though, probably because it was so hard to get hold of until the recent iTunes thing, i.e. only available as a single on vinyl, or on some old Hits compilation.

Last edited:
I wonder if the band doesn't like A Celebration because the song reminds them of the video? That video is U2 at their dorkiest (Bono's red pants are hysterical!)

I personally love both the video (it has a so-bad-it's-good quality to it) and the song (nothing bad about it), and would die of joy if it were played live. Seems like it will never happen, though.

Last edited:
They should play "A Celebration" and "Seconds" together on this tour since they are the two U2 songs that mention atomic bombs.

Bono's shades said:
I wonder if the band doesn't like A Celebration because the song reminds them of the video? That video is U2 at their dorkiest (Bono's red pants are hysterical!)

I personally love both the video (it has a so-bad-it's-good quality to it) and the song (nothing bad about it), and would die of joy if it were played live. Seems like it will never happen, though.

Whenever RTE (Irish television) do a U2 retrospective (retrospective meaning a 5 minute section in the news the day before a concert, usually) they always wheel out either a clip from the video, or an excerpt from an early U2 performance from the Late Late Show with Bono wearing the same red pants!

Well, I liked 'A Celebration' immediately, so I don't feel like I've over-rated it. And heck, if they can't play a song that references 'the atomic bomb' (as 'A Celebration' does) during the 'Atomic Bomb' tour, then when CAN they? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom