6 Shows and no curse words

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthshell

The Fly
I've noticed in the past that Bono has dropped several curse words during concerts in the past. 2 F-bombs on Slane (wake up dead man and all i want is you) and 1 in Boston before Kite. I know some of you could care less about this but a friend of mine told me that Bono said he would try not to swear or however you call any more like at award shows and what not. I think when he dioes that it it's bad to his reputation as a Christain, at least in my point of view. Well I hope he keeps this streak alive throughout the tour.

Well I am a Christian and I enjoy the fact that Bono swears. American Christians need to get it through their heads that their faith is not based on a set of rules and that swear words are just words and they need to get over it. Offending someone is one thing, thinking it's wrong because society has deemed these words as "adult" doesn't make sense.

I agree that Bono's swearing may be hurting his image among Christians, but who really cares. The Christians aren't the ones backing his One campaign and DATA stuff. Their too busy blindly supporting Bush and his "war on terror" :rolleyes:

OffAxis said:
Well I am a Christian and I enjoy the fact that Bono swears. American Christians need to get it through their heads that their faith is not based on a set of rules and that swear words are just words and they need to get over it. Offending someone is one thing, thinking it's wrong because society has deemed these words as "adult" doesn't make sense.

I agree that Bono's swearing may be hurting his image among Christians, but who really cares. The Christians aren't the ones backing his One campaign and DATA stuff. Their too busy blindly supporting Bush and his "war on terror" :rolleyes:

This only applies to American Christians???:scratch:

Bono just holds off swearing as long as they're touring the US....:wink:.....

Btw, most Irish are Christians and still their favorite word is F U C K. - If you don't believe me, take some holidays here and you will.

During one song, I can't remember which, Bono was nearly foaming at the mouth and yelling at the Edge to play harder or something. I'm not a lip reader but he definitely dropped the f-bomb a few times. He wasn't yelling into the microphone though. It was funny.

OffAxis said:

I think it is a little deeper than that, but thanks for the lecture on Christianity.

OffAxis said:

:rolleyes: right back at you. Nothing like irrational generalities to get the morning started off right. The ONE campaign has caught a lot of attention from influential Christians in the media -- folks like Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, Third Day... they're all over the ONE website. JOC has launched their own non-profit, Blood:Water Mission that goes around to colleges and educates on Africa. Both JOC and Third Day shows feature informational videos on the crisis in Africa, to strongly positive reactions (and I've been to shows in both L.A. and Boston). The church is getting onboard.

OffAxis said:
Well I am a Christian and I enjoy the fact that Bono swears. American Christians need to get it through their heads that their faith is not based on a set of rules and that swear words are just words and they need to get over it.

"What goes into a man's mouth does not make him ‘unclean,’ but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him ‘unclean.’ ”
~ Jesus (Matt 15:11)

Last edited:
OffAxis said:

As a fellow believer in Christ, AMEN! On most of it, at least....

Hawkmoon04 said:

This only applies to American Christians???:scratch:

Well, since the only Christian I know are Americans, I can't really speak to the "norm" in the rest of the world. I just know most american churches need to get their heads out of their asses and into the real world to make a real difference. They need to stop arguing about whether worrying about Bono saying "fuck" and start acting. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I didn't get it across.

nathan1977 said:

:rolleyes: right back at you. Nothing like irrational generalities to get the morning started off right. The ONE campaign has caught a lot of attention from influential Christians in the media -- folks like Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, Third Day...

"What goes into a man's mouth does not make him ‘unclean,’ but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him ‘unclean.’ ”

Well I agree that some Christians are backing the ONE campaign, and amazingly enough most of those artists think similarly to my earlier post. I'm lucky enough to have a few friends in the Ch. music industry. I've met a lot of artists. They swear more than Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction. Does that make them unclean? No, it just means they express themselves with these words instead of those. Jars of Clay are avid pot smokers. A lot of one of their tours was cancelled because they came on stage one night completely wasted (i.e. drunk and high). My friend was playing in a band that opened up for them. The funny thing is that one of the concerts that didn't get cancelled, my friend's band couldn't play b/c they had too many tatoos. Now how fucked up is that. The Christian university was fine with people who get high and drunk on stage, but no okay with tatoos? My point is that Christians get so bogged down with petty shit that they miss the point.

Lastly, the verse you quote is one of my favorite, but you forgot versus 8 & 9. “ ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’

The lead singer for Kings of Leon, the skinny-ass dude, said at the Staples show on April 6: "I don't mean to sound arrogant, but it sounded like shit in here last night. Tonight's much better." I think he was referring to the audio during their set. At least I hope he was.

OffAxis said:

Well, since the only Christian I know are Americans, I can't really speak to the "norm" in the rest of the world. I just know most american churches need to get their heads out of their asses and into the real world to make a real difference. They need to stop arguing about whether worrying about Bono saying "fuck" and start acting. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I didn't get it across.

It seems to me as an American who happens to be a Christian, that you are over generalising things a bit here. I don't recall too many churches protesting Bono's occasional f-bombs. And as far as the churches that I have been involved with, they are "out there in the real world trying to make a difference." I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information dude...:rolleyes:

nathan1977 said:

I read this as talking about liars, hypocrites, cheats and hate-mongers.

Here's my general take on this somewhat silly subject of "bad words". One of the most absurd things in our whole society is this notion about "cursing".

Profanity is subjective, I think it's profane when people say "Limp Bizkit rules" does that mean that my subjective standard should apply to all in the eyes of God? Because the old standard of certain "curse" words is to not utter them as to offend, everything is bound to offend someone. Words in language are part of the culture, a man made culture.

It's just another reason for certain people to posture and hold themselves supposedly higher than others. I knew tons of churchies in school who would say words to "fill-in" for curse words. It makes absolutely no sense. If you say "motherfucker" or "mothersucker" the implicit nature of the word is the exact same. So it means the same thing, so if one is profane, so is the other. It's just an illgoical argument in and of itself.

The whole nature of "curse" words is something that is set up by society. Our society is fucked anyhow, I think we can agree. I think, those of us who follow Christ can agree that we are all sinners. I think that those of us with common sense can agree that societal standards shouldnt always apply to Christians.

Maybe we should hold ourselves to a higher standard, but who's standard? That of society, or that of God? As far as I'm concerned intention of words is the crux of the matter, it doesn't matter what the specific words are, if you intend to be vulgar, you might as well say "tiddlywinks" as opposed to "cocksucker".

Respect or courtesy, as a societal standard. No more or less than cutting in line at the grocery store, or being rude to people.

But it is "foul language" because our society deemed it so, not because Jesus had anything to do with it, I'm sure he's more dissapointed with thousands upon thousands of sins, as opposed to this. I am a sinner, I am far from perfect, but I'd lend a helping hand to try and help somebody in need and curse like a sailor all the same. I don't think it really matters.

Last edited:
LaceyM. said:
It seems to me as an American who happens to be a Christian, that you are over generalising things a bit here. I don't recall too many churches protesting Bono's occasional f-bombs. And as far as the churches that I have been involved with, they are "out there in the real world trying to make a difference." I'm not quite sure where you are getting your information dude...:rolleyes:

Well "dude", maybe you are exaggerating things a bit here as I never said that churches were protesting Bono. Also I said "most" churches (I actually meant to say Christians, not churches, I type and don't proofread) because there are always exceptions. In fact I would say "most" churches are actually trying to make a difference. Unfortunately, most congregation members aren't following along. Think about the last work/service day your church did. How many people were there? Usually it's just a small percentage. I understand some people have other commitments, but if you can't make it to one all year then that's a loss for everyone (most of the time I feel like I benefit the most from my participation is service projects, just my $.02). The problem is that most of the people who are the types to raise issues about petty crap are the same people who aren't trying to make a difference. They aren't putting their "faith in action" (I actually hate that phrase b/c you can't have faith without action). They're the ones who come Sunday morning, but don't support the church physically, emotionally, financially or spiritually.

I'm not trying to argue with people about Christianity. Everyone's has to find what works for them. Your spirituality is supposed to be very personal. But everyone avoids that because that's actually harder than just obeying a set of rules. Because so many Christians have made their walks simply about a set of rules, it's turned away so many people to the faith. They've made it more about religion and less about God.

I just wanted to make the point that many Christians (not all) make a bigger deal out of how something is said than what is said.

Again this is my $.02, take it or leave it. But I will argue my point if you challenge it, basically because I'm a headstrong bastard, but also because I believe what I'm saying. I've grown up in the church as a PK and have seen numerous times how religion can become the focus over Christ. Too many Christians are missing the whole point.

U2DMfan said:

I read this as talking about liars, hypocrites, cheats and hate-mongers.

Here's my general take on this somewhat silly subject of "bad words". One of the most absurd things in our whole society is this notion about "cursing".

Profanity is subjective, I think it's profane when people say "Limp Bizkit rules" does that mean that my subjective standard should apply to all in the eyes of God? Because the old standard of certain "curse" words is to not utter them as to offend, everything is bound to offend someone. Words in language are part of the culture, a man made culture.

It's just another reason for certain people to posture and hold themselves supposedly higher than others. I knew tons of churchies in school who would say words to "fill-in" for curse words. It makes absolutely no sense. If you say "motherfucker" or "mothersucker" the implicit nature of the word is the exact same. So it means the same thing, so if one is profane, so is the other. It's just an illgoical argument in and of itself.

The whole nature of "curse" words is something that is set up by society. Our society is fucked anyhow, I think we can agree. I think, those of us who follow Christ can agree that we are all sinners. I think that those of us with common sense can agree that societal standards shouldnt always apply to Christians.

Maybe we should hold ourselves to a higher standard, but who's standard? That of society, or that of God? As far as I'm concerned intention of words is the crux of the matter, it doesn't matter what the specific words are, if you intend to be vulgar, you might as well say "tiddlywinks" as opposed to "cocksucker".

Respect or courtesy, as a societal standard. No more or less than cutting in line at the grocery store, or being rude to people.

But it is "foul language" because our society deemed it so, not because Jesus had anything to do with it, I'm sure he's more dissapointed with thousands upon thousands of sins, as opposed to this. I am a sinner, I am far from perfect, but I'd lend a helping hand to try and help somebody in need and curse like a sailor all the same. I don't think it really matters.

Thanks for saying this better than I could.

BTW, your thoughts are totally supported by the preceding verses.

Last edited:
Who care if Bono swears or not. Religion SHOULD NOT be a factor at all in this. We do not live in rated G world. Religion gets bog down in stupid things like this. This is why I am a deeply Spirtual person but not a religous one.

Irish people swear a lot...it is a hard habit to break when you move to north america and people's eyes go wide while you are talking and you don't realize you have said F*** 4 times in the last 5 mins(conservative estimate). It is pretty hard when you don't know you are doing it so I am impressed that Bono has lasted this long..he probably has more to gain by stopping than I do being on a world stage and all...although look at Colin Farrell...he has no intention of trying to scale back and he is everywhere!! Maybe fame would help me stop swearing...I think all the "American Christians " should make me famous and then I will try really hard!!

I won't engage in a Christian argument over this issue because I can't debate...I do, however, appreciate a music concert without having to suffer a number of meaningless F-bombs that are tossed just to get a reaction....simple!

I also happen to think that Bono realizes that there are now more and more children attending his shows,,,,why? because they can..

Thank you, Bono.

Mr. BAW said:
I won't engage in a Christian argument over this issue because I can't debate...I do, however, appreciate a music concert without having to suffer a number of meaningless F-bombs that are tossed just to get a reaction....simple!

I also happen to think that Bono realizes that there are now more and more children attending his shows,,,,why? because they can..

Thank you, Bono.

boo-yeah..!

really shoud be the end of discussion. but iw ill prolong it..haha!

I dont mind it so much, it used to be 'cool' to curse. but that was along time ago. The F- in AIWIY in Salne is uneccessary, and isn't the singing that to his wife? The F-yeah on HMTMKMKM on the POP video form mexico city was the only blemish in an otherwise perfect performance. I wish i could play those two videos on a loop when family or friends are visiting (all who like u2 at least alittle bit) but i have to admit i'm always runnignt o skip it becuase it some how breaks up the joy of listening to u2 FOR ME.
the f bomb in WUDM is in context...fine.

just my thoughts...

who cares? they're words, get over it.
bono can say whatever the hell he wants to, especially at his own concert.

Yeah, I can't really figure this thread out.

Let me see if I understand....this is thread about the fact that Bono hasn't cursed during the 1st 6 shows (I guess "arse" isn't considered one of the banned words), and now people are arguing about whether or not it matters if he curses or not based on their view of being a Christian.

People must really be running out of things to complain about now.

:|

ramblin rose said:
Yeah, I can't really figure this thread out.

Let me see if I understand....this is thread about the fact that Bono hasn't cursed during the 1st 6 shows (I guess "arse" isn't considered one of the banned words), and now people are arguing about whether or not it matters if he curses or not based on their view of being a Christian.

People must really be running out of things to complain about now.

:|
which is good for me and you at least :)

ramblin rose said:

You said it.:wink:
i did i did, even though i am gettin slaugherd in the why dosent U2 vary the setlist more thread, i dont care, i will defend u2 against the moaners until the very end :)

KUEFC09U2 said:
i did i did, even though i am gettin slaugherd in the why dosent U2 vary the setlist more thread, i dont care, i will defend u2 against the moaners until the very end :)

It's actually a very slow moan day today. The off day after the off day immediately following the last show is usually very slow day for new moans. I expect moans to pick up tomorrow since it's a show day, and tickets for a new show are going on sale.

Saturday should be a very active moan day. I will probably rest up tonight in preparation.

ramblin rose said:

It's actually a very slow moan day today. The off day after the off day immediately following the last show is usually very slow day for new moans. I expect moans to pick up tomorrow since it's a show day, and tickets for a new show are going on sale.

Saturday should be a very active moan day. I will probably rest up tonight in preparation.
lol am always gonna look out for you, just for back up :)

lets just enjoy the ride hey :)

Back
Top Bottom