3rd Leg Setlist....More of the Same?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FUIrish

The Fly
I went to three shows on the first leg (2 philly one jersey) and im going to one of the Garden shows. Before this leg started I was looking forward to maybe something fresh (setlist wise) from this leg. After last night it pretty much looks the same.

Any thoughts as to if theyll change it at least a little bit? I know they added Fast Cars and In a Little While but i wouldnt say those are major additions (personally those two wouldnt make my wishlist) Sorry to complain but i guess im just a bit disappointed!

FUIrish said:
I went to three shows on the first leg (2 philly one jersey) and im going to one of the Garden shows. Before this leg started I was looking forward to maybe something fresh (setlist wise) from this leg. After last night it pretty much looks the same.

Any thoughts as to if theyll change it at least a little bit? I know they added Fast Cars and In a Little While but i wouldnt say those are major additions (personally those two wouldnt make my wishlist) Sorry to complain but i guess im just a bit disappointed!
sorry did you get i will follow, miss sarajevo, and i still havent found on the first leg?

I agree, I was a little disappointed to see pretty much the same set list. Hopefully the set will change as the tour continues, but I can do without Miss Sarajevo.

let me start by saying this is no way a complaint....i LOVED the first leg and im thrilled about the third. with that being said...

i didnt get miss sarajevo or i will follow (got still havent found from the bank robbers!) but i guess i was looking for more creativity. i will follow and still havent found are a bit played out especially from a band with the catalogue that U2 has.

Wow, they're playing pretty much the same set list this leg? Has this ever happened before? I mean during Joshua Tree/Zoo TV/Popmart and Elevation, they radically changed the set list during the second and third legs right? They threw out the songs that nobody liked and only played the ones everybody loved!! During those tours we heard song like "Wire," "Stories For Boys," "Seconds," and "Red Hill Mining Town." This band sucks now.

Disappointed? Are they touring and playing as well as they ever have?

You people crack me up....:banghead:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Wow, they're playing pretty much the same set list this leg? Has this ever happened before? I mean during Joshua Tree/Zoo TV/Popmart and Elevation, they radically changed the set list during the second and third legs right? They threw out the songs that nobody liked and only played the ones everybody loved!! During those tours we heard song like "Wire," "Stories For Boys," "Seconds," and "Red Hill Mining Town." This band sucks now.

Huh? Give us the short version of your post.

techfire said:
I agree, I was a little disappointed to see pretty much the same set list. Hopefully the set will change as the tour continues, but I can do without Miss Sarajevo.

im not a fan of Miss Sarajevo either but live it was great. Bono's voice was really, really, really, really good.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

During the third leg of Elevation, the set list was almost the same except it was shorter!

grbounds said:

im not a fan of Miss Sarajevo either but live it was great. Bono's voice was really, really, really, really good.

I agree. What really kills the set list is the internet, knowing what the band will play before the show starts is a bummer, I should probably stay away from the set list link.

grbounds said:

I could do without Pride, Bullet, SBS, I Will Follow and I Still Haven't found, but those songs are here to stay.

I was really hoping they would rotate Elevation out (even though it is a great 'sing along song') for something else..such as Crumbs, or A Man and a Woman.

I guess we'll see how it pans out for the 5 MSG shows!

/not a complaint

FUIrish said:

but i guess i was looking for more creativity. i will follow and still havent found are a bit played out especially from a band with the catalogue that U2 has.
so playing a b-side that 75% of the audience has never heard the song before is not creative enough??

Lets just have a show with all rarities and see how the people who only get to see 1 show react when their one show is all rarities.

They're still touring to support the same album as the first leg. Therefore, many of the songs can't change. Yes, they could add Crumbs or play OOTS more often, but come on now Fast Cars? Did you ever expect to hear that live?

They can only change out a certain amount of songs. Streets, SBS, Pride, One, along with a couple others are all older songs that are sure things to be played. Would it be awesome if they played Mofo or Dirty Day? Of course, but they just don't jive with the tour.

If you wanted to hear and older obscure song then you probably should have seen them on earlier tours. It is obscure for a reason, most of the people at the shows (casual fans) would want Pride over hearing Love is Blindness.

The band has to appeal more to the casual fan than the super diehard, whiney crybabies on interference.

techfire said:

I agree. What really kills the set list is the internet, knowing what the band will play before the show starts is a bummer, I should probably stay away from the set list link.

hahah yeah, im glad i didnt spend too much time looking at previous setlists before the show. not knowing exactly what to expect made probably made it much better for me.

ahhhhh i love the folks that automatically take a post and run with it as either an assault on U2 or a request to play love comes tumbling or pete the chop. i love the band just as much as anyone but i think there were better choices to add in (crumbs, wild horses, something from pop) rather than in a little while and fast cars (which none of the american audience will know by the way!)

some of you guys just need to relax a bit! it just one mans opinion

FUIrish said:
ahhhhh i love the folks that automatically take a post and run with it as either an assault on U2 or a request to play love comes tumbling or pete the chop. i love the band just as much as anyone but i think there were better choices to add in (crumbs, wild horses, something from pop) rather than in a little while and fast cars (which none of the american audience will know by the way!)

Personally I hope they play Fast Cars throughout the tour.

Also consider that there are 3 more shows in TO this week with 5 in NYC next month. I'm sure we'll see alot more songs come out including Crumbs, Electrical Storm, Wild Horses, Out of Control. OOTS, and the songs that they cycled during the first leg..

FUIrish said:

but isnt that what most people wanted before the start of the 3rd leg? the band to take some risks? and if adding songs that nobody knows isnt taking that risk i for the life of me dont know what is

Steved1998 said:

Personally I hope they play Fast Cars throughout the tour.

Also consider that there are 3 more shows in TO this week with 5 in NYC next month. I'm sure we'll see alot more songs come out including Crumbs, Electrical Storm, Wild Horses, Out of Control. OOTS, and the songs that they cycled during the first leg..
and the really funny thing is, if U2 played all them songs last night, people would only moan the following show when its the same set with no new songs

KUEFC09U2 said:
and the really funny thing is, if U2 played all them songs last night, people would only moan the following show when its the same set with no new songs

I agree!

</rant on>
You can't please anyone in here. You'll get the same group crying "bahhh I want God Part II wahhh Unforgettable Fire"

NEWS FLASH they're not going to play them. You won't hear Surrender or Dirty Day. They're gone!

They played FAST CARS for crying out loud! Who would have ever thought they'd play an obscure bonus track that wasn't even widely released in the US???? You want rare but then still bitch!

GET OVER IT. They'll play what they want and what works. They don't have to cater to every individual person.

Have you been to a concert with two Vertigos? The energy is incredible! This set works. What did you expect a massive shake up for the third leg? Look at the 3rd leg of Elevation, and Pop.

You want to see setlists vary from night to night? You miss the halcyon days of the late 80s when there was something different every night? Get a Time Machine and go back.

U2 does not take large risks once they know what works, and you know what? IT DOES WORK.

So shut up, stop bitching and go outside.

</rant off>

KUEFC09U2 said:

Preach on! :wink:

Iskra said:
I just can't belive they can't pull Crumbs togther.
Ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? They have obviously rehearsed it and as a band have decided against it. Am I the only one that believes that people who know what will work best at a U2 concert just happens to be U2 and the people around them?

I trust their judgement - 'Crumbs' might be a bit of a 'Do You Feel Loved' flunker live for all we know. I would love to hear 'Wire' for example, but appreciate that it might actually be much worse in the context of a U2 show 2005 than it is in my imagination.

i'm happy to leave them to it, and have really enjoyed the creativity in the setlists on this tour. To have 'An Cat Dubh', 'Electric Co', 'Zoo Station' and many more totally exceeded my expectations. To hear 'Wild Horses' at Twickenham was a thrilling surprise. I'm very excited about hearing 'In A Little While' again and am sure that the 3rd and 4th nights will let of a few unexpected fireworks.

Compare this to the last few years, U2 are on tour, many of us will be seeing them again soon, DVD coming out soon... could it be any better?! :) :) :)

Last edited:
Jim said:

Compare this to the last few years, U2 are on tour, many of us will be seeing them again soon, DVD coming out soon... could it be any better?! :) :) :)

I'm currently on U2 overload--but not complaining! (though my wife might say otherwise...)

Utoo said:

I'm currently on U2 overload--but not complaining! (though my wife might say otherwise...)

I know what you mean! The UK 'U2 tour' overload usually lasts for the week or so that the band are in town, so you cram as many concerts in as the bank manager will allow. I've recently had to admit to my friends that I (quote) "accidently" bought 2 tickets for U2 in New York (I live in London).. (they are not buying it ;)

What's great it that normally, by the end of U2 overload week/fortnight you sit back for a while and then look forward to the DVD and slip away from overload-mode.. so to be diving back into Vertigo 2005 again after 3-4 months feels a bit strange.... and I'm convinced that my girlfriend/friends/family have finally (and secretly) decided that I am totally deranged!

but as you said, I ain't complaining!!

Steved1998 said:

During the third leg of Elevation, the set list was almost the same except it was shorter!

My post was sarcastic.

I feel sorry for those who are so caught up in the setlist that they feel that lessens the show in some way or another. Setlists on paper or on the Internet cannot make up for the excitement of actually being there.:huh:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

My post was sarcastic.

I feel sorry for those who are so caught up in the setlist that they feel that lessens the show in some way or another. Setlists on paper or on the Internet cannot make up for the excitement of actually being there.:huh:

Exactly, nothing compares to being there, that's why I think the people who bitch about the second Vertigo are out of their minds....

Back
Top Bottom