3rd leg: Different or same?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NHChris

The Fly
What are your thoughts regarding the 3rd leg show...production and set lists? On one hand you could make a good case for a fair bit of revamping...maybe 30% to 40% different in terms of lighting, graphics, set lists, and so on? On the other hand, there are going to be several cities--most, actually--that will have never seen the 1st leg. If U2 was coming back through the 1st leg cities all over again, then I'd say the whole thing would change a fair amount. But since there are many new cities on the 3rd leg, I really don't know.

My guess: U2 won't be so focused on the new album and will drop some of its songs (the ones that are agreed aren't working) and trade them in for more back-catalogue stuff.

Chris in NH

Which of the new songs arent working?

I think all of them have been great live and have carried this tour. Some of their older stuff is what has been mediocre.

I agree with Chizip completely. The new stuff is rocking and it's unfortunately some of the old stuff like Streets that's lacking.

I don't think they're going to shift the focus off the new album since the 3rd leg still is a Vertigo tour. But I do see them switching up some of the Boy songs with Pop/Zooropa for example.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

If streets had its red screens and full venue light-up at the start you know you wouldnt be saying things like that..:wink:

After listing to a handfull of recent boots IMO Bono's voice is caning it...the boys are banging it out..sounds great..

I think the only thing thats messed with streets are the effects that used to go with it...the red glow made that song live..

I am soooo bored everytime I hear the pride..streets....one trilogy!!!!!

No light show could change that for me!:)

I would be so happy if they replaced the three with Crumbs, A man and A woman, and A sort of Homecoming... The odds are against it, but that would be so crazy great!!!!!

I'll be there tonight!

Streets "not working"? Pride "boring"? Hello, hello? Though 've listened to these tunes over the half of my life and, yes, there are the ideas of a me as a die-hard fan about U2 switching these tune, there is one thing important: U2 play these tracks, especially Streets as inspired, maybe more, than ever. The "Africa" theme pushes the tune - and Bono's vocals - even further. And, of course, the abbreviated Pride is strange at the first, but it's a fixed part of the show - three songs of the show dedicated to political action in the future. This still shows U2's ambition to change things in the world. That's fine and necessary - plus: the music is perfect. So, where is your problem, folks?
And the idea, to skip the BOYOCTOBER parts for other tunes, I don't appreciate at all: These performances belong to the highlights of the tour. So the only solution: To switch more tunes, also the "Greatest Hits", on a nightly basis - from gig to gig. But, whether that will be the case in the stadiums yet, I doubt very much.

There are so many outside factors that could change the entire feel of Vertigo. The setlist for leg 1 of Eelevation was similar to leg 3 but the third leg had such a different meaning and energy due to 9/11. ( It was crazy how the energy of the lyrics for Walk On differed from leg1 and leg3 )

Well, there are a lot of cities on the 3rd leg that weren't on the 1st leg. I don't think they'll be huge changes.

Although, it'd be nice to see differences in cities where there have already been multiple shows I don't think it will happen as they flow of the 3rd leg for them may not work as well.

I think we'll see some song substitutions.

Possible additions: I Will Follow, Out of Control, ISHFWILF (more often), WOWY (more often), Gone, Angel of Harlem, Stuck in a Moment, Walk On, Crumbs, A Man and a Woman, Until the End of the World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Possible Subtractions: Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways, 40, Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Elevation,

Out Of Control will definately be back stronger than ever. I predict a couple of "I Will Follow"'s. I am also going to boldly if not stupidly predict the triumphant return of "The Unforgettable Fire" as well as "Exit" on a few nights.

Production wise, I don't recall U2 shaking things up at all between American legs in my memory. Yes, Zoo TV outdoors was on a grandeur scale, but the concept and effects were the same. Elevation was the same production for American legs last tour. Popmart was consistent throughout. Fact is, they aren't going to committ new dollars for an American 3rd leg production revision when they already spent the money for the stage/screen/lights etc that are in place already.

Setlist wise, I'd like to think things will be drastically different, but here again, recent U2 concert history suggests minimal setlist changes. I can see Crumbs, Man & Woman, and possibly two to three other songs not played on the First Leg being added, but other than that I just can't see it. Third leg will still be heavy on Bomb songs and the U2 staples like Streets, One etc so really, where do they make drastic changes?

Niceman said:

I agree. Streets bores me, I find myself wanting it to be over already. I'd like to think they'd shake it up a bit for the 2nd and 3rd legs.

Niceman said:

I would be so happy if they replaced the three with Crumbs, A man and A woman, and A sort of Homecoming... The odds are against it, but that would be so crazy great!!!!!

I'll be there tonight!

:up:

Niceman said:

I'll be there tonight!

Yeah, well this is my first (and only, for this tour) U2 concert. And while I've never been a huge fan of Pride to begin with, I have to say I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't play One or Streets. I doubt I'm alone in that. :)

As far as the third leg, I think the Boy set will be much smaller...I think they'll probably just rotate Electric Co, Out of Control, and Gloria one a night. (yes I know Gloria's not on Boy but you get my point)...I think they might add a few of the Pop/Zooropa songs from the European leg that they feel strong about. Crumbs will probably be a regular by then, assuming it works well live. And maybe A Man and A Woman will be played some nights. My predictions anyway....

I think the Africa theme and Bono signing in Swahili (i think) distracts from Streets. I went back and saw Streets from the Boston DVD and I noticed what might be lacking from the Vertigo version.

1)Bono running around the heart
2) The use of the lights and Bono screaming in the very beginning from the tip of the heart.
3) Pride does not carry well over into Streets. Bad/40 was so much better. I would love it if the used the Bad/snippet into Streets and bring back Walk On to close the show.

I hope the carry over the rumored Zooropa and Pop songs over to the 3rd leg. I'd love to hear lemon and Discotheque!

The only new album track I can see U2 dropping is Miracle Drug, which could likely be replaced with Crumbs or possily A Man and a Woman (I'd love either, but Crumbs has the potential to really fuckin ROCK live with an extended ending, like Last Night on Earth). They're obviously not taking out Vertigo because that would be silly. Sometimes is an emotional highpoint of the show, Love and Peace or Else serves as an opener or as part of the political rock set, and City of Blinding Lights was MADE to be sung with 10,000 people (plus it's a great opener, obviously). All Because of You has been consistantly rocking and generally serves as an encore. I can see Original of the Species replacing Yahweh more often...maybe they'll do One Step Closer in the final encore as well? OSC/OOTS or OSC/Yahweh? I can see that...it would be great if the band played every song from HTDAAB at least once during the tour, however my guess is the only new song that will be introduced is Crumbs From Your Table (I sure HOPE they play Crumbs!).

ATYCLB wise...we've got Beautiful Day, Elevation. I doubt either of those will get dropped. BD has pretty much established itself as a classic U2 song and Elevation has a lot of crowd interaction; everyone gets really into it, and don't forget, U2 named an entire tour for this song! I can see Stuck in a Moment possibly being added to the show (or maybe played instead of Elevation, but if you take Elevation out you need something rocking and fun to replace it), but I wouldn't expect much else from ATYCLB... though it'd be nice if they did Kite to compliment One Step Closer...

Staple-wise... I really don't think they're going to drop the Pride-Streets-One thing, that's the heart of the show, like it or not (how the hell do you people get BORED during Streets?! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???), and it's the plug for the One campaign. I doubt they'll drop the political rock part, either (SBS-Bullet-Running). They -might- drop Running for Still Haven't Found, or switch it up. They'll probably play Bad at almost every show by that point, at least I would hope so. New Year's Day will be played at every show, since it's one of Adam's big moments and he's so active this tour. WOWY may be played more often.

ZooTV encore - the Zoo era encore will stay, though by the 3rd leg Zoo Station and Mysterious Ways may be out completely, replaced by Until the End of the World and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. The Fly by all indications will be played at every fuckin' show, as it damn well should be. If U2 really wanted to mix things up they could throw in a Zooropa song, but I seriously doubt this will happen, much as I'd love it. Though the return of the lemon-alien-boy-thing-slot machine makes me wonder...

Old songs... let's see we've got The Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, The Ocean, and Gloria. By the 3rd leg I'd say one of those a night at most (which means probably not The Ocean, but whatever, a lot of people say it's too short to really count as a song, like Into the Heart), and then a possible I Will Follow or Out of Control. Possibly The Unforgettable Fire, Exit (I'd die. I would just DIE.), or something else off of War (Seconds? Has the line about the atomic bomb...or Drowning Man?) could be added.

Well, that doesn't leave room for much else, does it? I'm convinced that they'll play AT LEAST one song from Pop and/or Zooropa this tour. They can't totally shun those albums, and didn't Adam say they'd be playing some in Europe? I predict one song will continue on to the third leg - probably Gone (much as I love Gone I really really really want to see/hear Please and/or Last Night on Earth live, on Popmart they were nothing short of rapture). I also think U2 will throw in a song people wouldn't expect (they just did Wild Horses, they can introduce one more song..), like Lemon or Do You Feel Loved (ha, yeah right. I'd die before the first note. that would be too fuckin good to be true). Maybe Ultraviolet?

God I can't wait til December.

After watching the boys in Philly on May 22nd.....I was disappointed that there were no Pop songs. But I will say....a song like Elevation took on an entire different meaning. I would love to hear A Man and A Woman on the 3rd leg.

As far as people complaining about Streets.....

Puh leeeeze!

This is U2......their namesake song. Imagine how many newbie fans who have paid money just to hear that song!.....and people want them to drop it? :eyebrow:

(P.S. I'll never forget my Ultraviolet on the Zoo TV tour in Detroit)

:wink::

Last edited:
If anything is dropped from HTDAAB, it would be OOTS.

I love the song on the album, but what they've done live just sucks.

It was probably the only song from Seattle 2 that lost the majority of the crowd's interest.

Back
Top Bottom