2am? 4 am? 6am?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
I'm looking to buy some GA tickets the day of the concert here in Minneapolis. I have some question that, if someone would be kind enough to answer, I'd really appeciate it.

1. Does U2 really sell tickets the day of concert?

2. The box office opens at around 9:00am. How early should I get there? Camp out all night? Early morning? 2:00am, 4:00am?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

1. usually... it's called a "ticket drop." unused band assigned tickets, unused industry assigned tickets, credit card issues, etc. etc. etc.

2. ticket drops usually don't happen until an hour or two before the start of the show.... sometimes they can be earlier than that, but not often. depending on the arena, there may be a line of people just waiting to buy tickets, that could start early in the morning or sometime in the afternoon. it varries from place to place. also, if you're looking for tickets from the ticket drop, go with the thought that you're just trying to get in the building. the odds of getting GAs are slim, so if you're not expecting them, it won't be a disapointment when you don't get 'em. if you do end up getting them, it makes it all the more exciting.

i'd be curious to know if anyone from here has managed to get GA's from a ticket drop.

and if so, which show/venue was it and at what time did the box office drop them.

bonosgirl84 said:
i'd be curious to know if anyone from here has managed to get GA's from a ticket drop.

and if so, which show/venue was it and at what time did the box office drop them.

I know I've read stories on here of people walking up to the box office and buying GAs. Can't remember the venues though.

Yes, I've gotten GAs from a ticket drop. In Chicago last leg of the tour the box office opened at 11 and tickets dropped around 12:30 one day and not till 3:30 another day. I was able to get GAs, and so were lots of other people. I got in the box office line for Chicago at about 7 a.m.

In New Jersey tickets did not drop till 7:00pm and no GAs were ever released. That city seemed to be anomaly--in most other cities tickets drop in the late afternoon, and GAs are available for most shows (even MSG)--but they were limited). The biggest problem is scalpers getting in line ahead of you. Be sure to confirm at the ticket window they are enforcing how many tickets people can buy...and it's helpful to have security be aware that you are in a line for the box office and that there is a numbering system. One scalper in Chicago told me "to hell with this line--when the windows open I'll just push you out of the way." I got a nice security guard to kick him out of line after that :wink:

GAs were available at almost every show I attended in the fall (14 in about 7 different cities)...San Diego, Phoenix, Seattle, Philadelphia, (friends got GAs for MSG), Chicago. New Jersey was the exception. I just bought a GA for the second Chicago show on TM two days ago.

also in Chicago, I was able to get 2 GAs as the line started moving into the arena. May 9 show.

SiW87 said:
You line up at the site of the Venue? I'm trying to score GA's for Miami 1, so I should line up wherever they sell them at the AmericanAirlines Arena?

(Stupid question, I know, I've just never done this).

yes, line up at the ticket office. It's a good idea to get in the GA line (only the New Jersey venue made you prove you had a ticket in the morning to be in that line), get a number on your hand, then let people behind you know you have to hang out at the box office (where you will get another number on your hand). good luck!

Dr. Ruff is getting ready for her 14-show marathon... :ohmy:

Oh, and by the way, I signed up for a course in Italian history taught, of course, in Italian, which starts this Wednesday :up: (so I stop messing up and forgetting all my Italian).

U2@NYC said:
Dr. Ruff is getting ready for her 14-show marathon... :ohmy:

Oh, and by the way, I signed up for a course in Italian history taught, of course, in Italian, which starts this Wednesday :up: (so I stop messing up and forgetting all my Italian).

:drool: i taught a course last May in Florence and Rome...you should have enrolled :wink:

Well, I have to admit that Florence and Rome are a much more appealing setting than DC... and I am sure that I will not have such a cute professor... :hmm:

Did you teach it in Italian?

you would have been the only boy in the class...i'm sure we could have made good use of you :sexywink: (you know, for lifting heavy suitcases...and such....)

god no i taught it in english. i sat in on lectures on classes in Bologna and it was excruciating :huh:

Only guy in a class full of girls... :drool:

However, I am actually taking the course more to speak more Italian than to learn Italian history... non voglio dimenticarmi la lingua!

ruffian said:
Yes, I've gotten GAs from a ticket drop. In Chicago last leg of the tour the box office opened at 11 and tickets dropped around 12:30 one day and not till 3:30 another day. I was able to get GAs, and so were lots of other people. I got in the box office line for Chicago at about 7 a.m.

In New Jersey tickets did not drop till 7:00pm and no GAs were ever released. That city seemed to be anomaly--in most other cities tickets drop in the late afternoon, and GAs are available for most shows (even MSG)--but they were limited). The biggest problem is scalpers getting in line ahead of you. Be sure to confirm at the ticket window they are enforcing how many tickets people can buy...and it's helpful to have security be aware that you are in a line for the box office and that there is a numbering system. One scalper in Chicago told me "to hell with this line--when the windows open I'll just push you out of the way." I got a nice security guard to kick him out of line after that :wink:

The ticket drop for NJ1 (Vertigo Tour) actually occurred online the night before the first show. TONS of ppl purchased GA's for that show. I'd even guess about 100 total GA's.

As for the last NJ show on the Elevation Tour, at least one person was able to get a GA at the venue after the ticket booth opened at about 6:30 pm.

Additionally, there were GA's available all day for Philly1. It's possible that Philly1 GA's were still available even after U2 took the stage (one person said he purchased a GA at 8:30 for philly1).

Anaheim GA's were dropped online on the Tuesday before the show. Not that many though.

Denver GA's were available by the bushel about two weeks before the show.

Glendale had tons of excellent lower level tix dropped about two days before the shows. They were still available up until TM stopped selling and the venue took over. (My guess is that the demand for U2 in Glendale wasn't as high so that ppl would spend $180 per ticket. Also, Glendale was the cheapest ticket on ebay.)

Boston barely had a ticket drop online, from my understanding.

Chicago had tons of GA's available for Chi2 and Chi3 (yes, the shows that were taped!) online the night of the first Chicago show and second Chicago show. Chicago1 and Chicago4 had some GA's dropped at the venue only. Not many.

Well that's off the top of my head, and mostly limited to what I saw on ticketmaster!

U2@NYC said:
Only guy in a class full of girls... :drool:

However, I am actually taking the course more to speak more Italian than to learn Italian history... non voglio dimenticarmi la lingua!

si, devi practicare la lingua...ho un buon idea per practicare :sexywink:

and i might add, i did not invent that joke--every sicilian will say that when you say you need to practice your language/tongue.

MTEdge said:

The ticket drop for NJ1 (Vertigo Tour) actually occurred online the night before the first show. TONS of ppl purchased GA's for that show. I'd even guess about 100 total GA's.

As for the last NJ show on the Elevation Tour, at least one person was able to get a GA at the venue after the ticket booth opened at about 6:30 pm.

i'd heard there was a big drop the night before...i waited and waited at the box office all day that day and GAs never dropped. Then No Spoken Words called me and had an extra GA, so I got into the venue after all.

ruffian said:

si, devi practicare la lingua...ho un buon idea per practicare :sexywink:

and i might add, i did not invent that joke--every sicilian will say that when you say you need to practice your language/tongue.

:wink:

I am wondering how those exams would be...

:wink: :D

:tsk:

Found the guide for the exams:

oegp.jpg

I am curious about what it may say... :hmm:

:reject: pablo brings out the vixen in me.

:tsk:

my oral exam manual is more comprehensive than that one...i'm strict, you know :sexywink:
the mods are going to come in here any minute and tell us to get a room, or hit our hands with rulers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom