2 legs passed - your favorite shows so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
There have been quite a bit memorable shows this year. So far these are my favorites(in chronological order). I haven't heard all the shows (about 95% of the 1st leg and 30% of the 2nd):

San Jose, April 10th 2005

For me, the first great show of the tour. The band finally managed to play both the new and the old with as much energy as possible. It was the first time I learn to like Elevation as a song. Truly a killer version. They fucked up An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, but it was redeemed with tour debut of Original of the Species, fabulous version of The Fly ("The universe explodin' 'cosa one man's FUCKIN' lie!") and much more.

Seattle, April 25th 2005

You can almost feel the enormous energy of the concert on the bootleg. The second performance of Vertigo at this concert is one of the most hard-rocking and energetic performances EVER by the band. Second highlight: Running To Stand Still. One of the best versions ever of the song, Bono improvises on his guitar, making a bluesy sound that reminds me a lot of the album version. One of the best performances by Bono on guitar(not that it is saying much...). Third highlight: Bono curses... a lot. The best one is the intro to Love and Peace or Else: "Now you've got someone to deal with: mother... fucker". Brilliant. Other interesting bits: Bad should always be behind Running To Stand Still. These two songs belong together. They are one.

Chicago, May 12th 2005

This is probably in my top 5 of the best concerts I have ever heard by the band. First I have to commend the taper for making a tremendous job with an audience recording that truly sounds like a soundboard. If not better. One of the best setlists of the tour (Vertigo for the first time as the opener, All Because of You finally as the second song - as it should be all the time) featuring the tour debut of Until the End of the World and Bad as the closer. Of many highlights, I have to mention fantastic versions of both Miracle Drug and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and the best encore I have heard in awhile. Until the End of the World going straightly into The Fly(interesting version where Edge fucks up the solo, so he has to improvise it), Mysterious Ways with ZooTV lyrics, the best version of With or Without You since 1992(great drums by Larry, finally some improv by The Edge and a lovely Strangers in the Night snippet) and finally - 10-minute version of Bad to close the thing. Majestic.

Amsterdam, July 13th 2005

Fantastic audience helped lifting the gig to another level, when Bono suddenly declared that "U2 are home". Energy is evident on every song. Highlights: Bono singing opera at the Sometimes ending, a fantastic, unique version of Bullet the Blue Sky(starting with The Joshua Tree solo, ending it in ZooTV style), Bono beautifully singing Amazing Grace in Running To Stand Still and one of my favorite versions of Vertigo to end it all.

Amsterdam, July 16th 2005

Even better than the first night. Where to begin? Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses has never sounded better, great version of "40" at the end, New Year's Day fuck-up, Bono singing Love and Peace or Else in Elvis-style... But the two performances that will go into history are the main reason this show is one of my favorites. First is Miss Sarajevo, where Bono sang Pavarotti's notes flawlessly - I get shivers listening to the audience's reaction. Second is Original of the Species, where U2 finally decided to bring the secret fifth member Terry Lawless onto the stage, to play the song as it should be played. It hasn't been realized fully yet, but the song has so much potential it sounded amazing even if it was underrehearsed.

djerdap said:

Seattle, April 25th 2005

You can almost feel the enormous energy of the concert on the bootleg. The second performance of Vertigo at this concert is one of the most hard-rocking and energetic performances EVER by the band. Second highlight: Running To Stand Still. One of the best versions ever of the song, Bono improvises on his guitar, making a bluesy sound that reminds me a lot of the album version. One of the best performances by Bono on guitar(not that it is saying much...). Third highlight: Bono curses... a lot. The best one is the intro to Love and Peace or Else: "Now you've got someone to deal with: mother... fucker". Brilliant. Other interesting bits: Bad should always be behind Running To Stand Still. These two songs belong together. They are one.

:heart:

djerdap said:
Chicago, May 12th 2005

This is probably in my top 5 of the best concerts I have ever heard by the band. First I have to commend the taper for making a tremendous job with an audience recording that truly sounds like a soundboard. If not better. One of the best setlists of the tour (Vertigo for the first time as the opener, All Because of You finally as the second song - as it should be all the time) featuring the tour debut of Until the End of the World and Bad as the closer. Of many highlights, I have to mention fantastic versions of both Miracle Drug and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and the best encore I have heard in awhile. Until the End of the World going straightly into The Fly(interesting version where Edge fucks up the solo, so he has to improvise it), Mysterious Ways with ZooTV lyrics, the best version of With or Without You since 1992(great drums by Larry, finally some improv by The Edge and a lovely Strangers in the Night snippet) and finally - 10-minute version of Bad to close the thing. Majestic.

:up: That gets my vote. I was there, second row in front of Edge, best night of my entire life.

Croke 3 was the best U2 show I've ever seen...the crowd was amazing, the band were amazing...the whole thing. And they played Bad. :drool:

Seattle 2--fabulous!

Chicago 4 was also incredible, and Phoenix 2 gets honorable mention...

I want that version of the Fly from San Jose...:drool: :drool: :drool:

I love Vertigo 1 from Seattle II, "just shut or get the fuck off!!" i think he has, always a lol moment

Chicago 4 is my favourite -- the show was really really good! great setlist, even though it should have had Who's Gonna Ride. but the last 3 songs are the best close to a u2 show EVER

With or Without You
Yaweh
Bad

have they ever ended a concert any better?!

Well.

Let's just say, you know, (this thread has got me all sad) I'll never experience anything like Dublin 1 ever.
My first ever U2 concert. Oh god. I can't take it. :sad:
Anyway, that's my favourite show, for purely personal reasons.
And listening to Milan 2 has also got me going. Those two.

I think in terms of setlists, Dublin III gets the nod, even with bloody Vertigo x2.

In terms of the band's performance, they were absolutely on fire at Boston II. The impromptu Out Of Control was simply amazing.

Axver said:
I think in terms of setlists, Dublin III gets the nod, even with bloody Vertigo x2.

In terms of the band's performance, they were absolutely on fire at Boston II. The impromptu Out Of Control was simply amazing.

despite the fact that I like Vertigo2 anyway, it was especially fantastic in Croke because we thought they were done...then we got Yahweh and 40... :drool:

I was at Croke 1 and 3 and they were both magnificent. Looking back, 3 felt more like a one-off show, while 1 was part of the tour, if you know what I mean. But both shows were as great as I've ever seen them. No other band could match that.

Enjoy the 3rd leg, all you guys with tickets.

StlElevation said:
shit i think even better than Boston 2 and 3 was

New Jersey 1

i was at NJ1, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have, because my section of the crowd was so boring and quiet
:(

I have to say manchester 1 because it's the only show i got to see:wink: ,But i would have loved to have gone to croke 3 what a setlist that was.
Hope everyone enjoys the 3rd leg and fingers crossed to a return to Europe for the 4th leg.

Chicago May 12,2005
quite possibly the best show I've ever seen personally
I know the change in the set list helped but the band was relaxed (hell even Larry smiled) and in a good mood. Just a great show from start to finish (and what a finish :drool: ).

of the boots I've heard I have to agree with San Jose 2, Seattle 2, Boston 2/3, Dublin 3 and Amsterdam 2/3

Bring on September :hyper:

nobody reads this

The best I've heard (not seeing :mad: )...

Chicago 4:

What a show... and the best rendition of City Of Blinding Lights I've heard ever.

Boston 3:

The greatest fuck up in Electric Co, that really didn't matter at all later when The Fly -> Until The End Of The World -> WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES... probably the first song I've ever loved from AB and one of the missing gems of theirs... best singalong ever.

Brussels 1:

A great 1st concert, being the highlight New Year's Day... the most beautiful intro ever, with Edge on piano, Bono thanking The Thrills... sweet piano intro :drool:

Amsterdam 3 / Dublin 3:
Amazing shows, each one with it's own highlights. The only bad thing are the recordings... not bad, but really far from :drool:-like shows like Chi4, LA3, Boston3.

And the best one for me:

San Diego 1, 04/28

The one that started all. The one we had clips from the next day. The one we had the same clips but in video later the same day. The one WE ALL had by Wednesday. The one I can proudly say is my first CD burn, and what's even greater, 4 days after the real show.

The chillings everyone had when the first track started to say "everyone... everyone.. EVERYONE". City Of Blinding Lights and that great intro.. then, THE BEST... THE ABSOLUTE BEST version of VERTIGO for me. "Spanish lessons in San Diego.. I don't think so"... and the first screw up of the tour with Edge starting late. But the best of this Vertigo, is Stories For Boys... especially when Bono does the "hello hello" part, stretches it and Edge and Larry emerge with a forze I wouldn't never imagine they had. "We're at a place called San Diego"... why didn't he did that in every city?.. it's perfect.

Who didn't felt special listening to Electric Co... or even more, the chilling I got listening to the An Cat Dubh intro... :combust:

Later... Bono apologizing for the ticket fiasco in a great intro to MD. The first time we heard Larry and Bono on drums and singing along.
I know everyone went "WHOA!" when, as Sunday Bloody Sunday was finishing, out of nowhere BULLET emerged and punch us in the face.

I hear now to the Streets Intro... and is the best of the tour... the first and greatest intro. "Africa...Africa... Sacred Ground, Proving ground". At first I felt ackward listening that, but later I got it.

Like I got Zoo Station making a triumphant return, and The Fly... "He's back" Bono said. And how... sure, 2nd fuckup: Bono didn't remembered the lyrics, who cares, it sounded great. "A lot of change.. A LOT OF CHANGE"
3rd tour fuck-up... Elevation... but what a song now is... and what a finale it had.

And the finale... "we haven't played this one since 1983"... :lmao: we said... "how long... to sing this song" we sang.

Honorable mention:

Twickenham 1:
Basically because of the BBC Broadcast... Miracle Drug sounded AMAZING, so did THE FLY... and the Streets intro was Bono's 3rd best (2nd is Brussels)
Besides... Vertigo 2... I can love that song there... really.. I can hear this version every day

PS: what does Bono says instead of 1,2,3,14 in ^^ ?

Last edited:
Boston 2, greatest encore of the tour.
The Fly (skipping Zoo Station)
Until the end of the World
Out of Control
With or without You
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Bad/40/Bad

also NJ1 is great at the end because they played their typical US encore, ending with 40, but then came back for Vertigo (only the 2nd time they played it twice, and the only time theyve played 40 and then Vertigo after it). It truly was an 'encore' 2nd time playing it as a bonus, instead of a song built into the setlist taking the place of another song that could be played.

Denver 1 & 2. No one knows unless you were there because the recodings don't exist (yet). All of the first leg songs were spread over these two nights. They were hitting their stride. And the "Set my feet upon a Red Rock" quote during 40.

the best of my nine vertigo shows is:

amsterdam 3, of course because of miss sarajevo, original of the species and the fact they really love holland, you can feel that.

second is dublin 2 (the show was filmed, they gave it a 200%, i hope they put it out on dvd sometime)

i heard dublin 3 was also a top show, but unfortunately i had no tickets to that one (but i don't complain because we met bono after the show at the clarence)

StlElevation said:
shit i think even better than Boston 2 and 3 was

New Jersey 1

Y'know, this show was the only one of the five I've seen this tour where I felt the band was really on autopilot. Wasn't feeling much magic with it.

Of the shows I saw, San Jose 2 and NJ2 stand out the most for me, a lot of spirit, and a bit of spontaneity.

Of the shows I've only heard, Amsterdam 3 and Milan 2 sounded pretty darn fantastic and special to me. :)

From the shows I've seen I have to admit that the one in Nice on August 5 was the best mostly because of the fact that it was my first and only (so far) U2 show :wink: :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom