1st leg US tour....rumored dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any Chicago rumor dates? Chicago was their highest US gross from the Elevation tour. Maybe close the first leg with multiple nights at the United Center?

Cigar said:
Here's a safe bet for a few dates:

New Jersey March 13/15.....(Hall of fame induction on the 14)
New York March 17/19/20
Toronto March 25/26
Albany March 28
Buffalo March 29
Detroit March 31
Montreal April 2/3.

Are you serious about Detroit on March 31st? That is soooooo cool. Thank you for this update. Now hopefully I can get tickets!

Blue Room said:

Also, just because the RNR Hall Of Fame is on a specific date does not mean they will be playing the NY area at that time? They have their own jet after all!! They have played other events in the past where they tour was nowhere near where the event was at the time. Of course its possible but I wouldnt use that as a basis for them being in the area.

I agree...I'm seeing Washington DC the Fri./Sat. before the HOF and Philly the Tues./Weds. afterwards (they usually helicopter or bus it in from NYC anyway for Philly shows), with the day before (rehearsal?) and the day after (hangovers?) the HOF ceremony off.

There is also the possibility of a later leg of the tour being for stadiums, which may explain the absence of rumors for DC.
Hopefully the Ex-Expos won't screw this up

Any idea what venue they will play in Philly. I HEARD that they are doing indoor shows in the US on the first leg so I think they should do the Tweeter Center, which I really like.

I saw them at the Wachovia center ( then it was the First Union Center) during the Elevation Tour....It was amazing!
I hope the Philly dates turn out to be true!!

Wachovia is the MAIN concert spot in Philly, it was formally First Union Center and before that the CoreStates Center. They played there 3 times for the Elevation tour, twice in June and once in November...

I really don't see it happening that way Headache. Phillys gonna get 2 shows and they aren't gonna bounce from Philly to NY back to Philly... I think the rumor for Philly on the 16th and 17th is pretty safe. I have heard it from numerous sources in this area.

clip51 said:
I really don't see it happening that way Headache. Phillys gonna get 2 shows and they aren't gonna bounce from Philly to NY back to Philly... I think the rumor for Philly on the 16th and 17th is pretty safe. I have heard it from numerous sources in this area.

well those aren't my dates... they come from two completely unrelated sources within the "touring industry," so to speak. i didn't just pull them out of thin air.

Is it inevitable that U2 will play the United Center in Chicago. I've seen a couple concerts at the United Center, and I don't like it as a concert venue. It's good for watching the Bulls, but for concerts...:no: .

I would love it if they waited till May, June, of July, and played at Millennium Park. That would rock!

Im not claiming your pulling them out of the air, everything we all hear is merely rumors until the Official Announcement is made. I just don't see them bouncing back and forth and Philly will definitely get 2 shows

U2@NYC said:
What do you mean? That there will not be any D.C. shows in the first leg??? Highly unlikely...

U2 skipped Washington DC on the first leg of the ZOO TV tour back in 1992 and they only played one show in Philadelphia on the first leg of the ZOO TV tour back in 1992. That first leg tour had around 30 shows and was mainly single nights in various markets.

Album sales for "Bomb" the past 3 weeks have just been incredible. Sales are not likely to drop off either with Christmas coming. This is already U2's fastest selling album in the United States ever. I'm not saying it will happen, but there is the possiblity that the band may play a smaller first leg of North America in the spring in order to prepare the market for Stadium shows in the fall. Another alternative would be to move the tour back a month into April allowing for select stadium shows in certain cities on the spring leg.

So far, this album is selling at a rate that is 2 to 3 times the rate ATYCLB was selling.

They will not skip DC. There will at least be 2 nights and if anything, Bono will use the opportunity to visit Capitol Hill to lobby on behalf of third world debt and the other issues he is interested in.

Some of you people are ridiculous. The tour dates have not even been announced and you presume the most idiotic notions. Just be patient and see what happens.

STING2 quit teasing me with stadium shows in the US :drool: .

The way things are going U2 would be fools not to do stadiums in US. There are only a handful of artist that could fill up a stadium 70%-100% capacity and U2 is one of those bands. I miss stadium shows. :sad:

STING2, I might be wrong but... hadn't they done another tour slightly before Zoo TV? Here, they have not done a tour for 4 years so I will be surprised if they skip D.C.

Plus, my initial indication is that D.C. is a larger market than Philadelphia... so my initial notion was that, if they are pressed for time, they should do D.C. as well.

U2@NYC said:
STING2, I might be wrong but... hadn't they done another tour slightly before Zoo TV? Here, they have not done a tour for 4 years so I will be surprised if they skip D.C.

Nope. Actually, the gap between the last tour and ZooTV was longer. U2 were last in the US in 1987. The Lovetown Tour, the one right before ZooTV, was in 1989 and did not play anywhere in the US at all.

Concerning the OKC area: I think they'll skip us. As a resident of Oklahoma I would understand bypassing us, because most people willing to see U2 in Oklahoma will travel to KC or Dallas because we're used to the idea. That doesn't mean I look forward to driving 4 1/2-6 hours to see them, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

It would be so nice to only drive an hour to see the band of my life, but beggars can't be chooses, and I'll drive to NTC if I have to.

That being said, U2, if you're listening....please come to Oklahoma. It's the heartland! It's the home of our five civilized Indian tribes....it's the heart of the bible belt. We don't have much, but we (me and lots of people I know) love you!!!!!!

I have just read some of the comments on this thread. I am here in Los Angeles. One thing i like about living here is that it is a big city and U2 never misses this city. Throught the years when U2 have been here it has been in the middle of April. Usually around Easter time. Then the second leg would be in Nov. I was suprised that during Pop they were here in June. The 2nd leg of Elevation i was getting sober in a 12 step treatment program. I couldn't believe it, that i was missing the concert. They played with No Doubt. They also did a live concert show on Kroq. It was so upsetting to me. This time I pray I don't miss a thing.:wink: :wink: I have seen alot of concert's and I have to say that U2 are the best each time.

Clear Channel radio station WKGR-FM, West Palm Beach, Florida, aka (Gater 98.7fm), reports that the U2 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb Tour will begin March 1 at the American Airlines Arena in Miami. A second show will take place two days later on March 3. (Thx BM)

mkrieg said:
They will not skip DC. There will at least be 2 nights and if anything, Bono will use the opportunity to visit Capitol Hill to lobby on behalf of third world debt and the other issues he is interested in.

Some of you people are ridiculous. The tour dates have not even been announced and you presume the most idiotic notions. Just be patient and see what happens.

They will not skip DC on the tour, but there is the chance they would skip DC for the first leg if they do a tour similar to ZOO TV. You could look at those tour dates for ZOO TV on www.u2.com .

I'm not saying anything will happen, I'm just saying its a possiblity that U2 may not play DC until September.

U2@NYC said:

Plus, my initial indication is that D.C. is a larger market than Philadelphia... so my initial notion was that, if they are pressed for time, they should do D.C. as well.

When U2 started the ZOO TV tour on February 29, 1992 , it was the first tour of the United States since the Joshua Tree tour of 1987. On the first leg of the ZOO TV tour, U2 played 30 shows, with only one stop in Philadelphia and skipped over DC. The reason they did this was to keep demand strong for Stadium shows which they did in both Philadelphia and Washington DC in August and September of 1992. U2 played two shows at RFK Stadium in DC in August of 1992 and two shows at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia on the ZOO TV tour.

They will definitely play DC on the tour, but they might wait to play there until the fall of 2005.

Then again, if they do not play outdoors at all in the USA in 2005, then they will probably hit DC on the first leg.

I've been doing a little detective work this evening 'cause -well- I'm bored.
I remember reading somewhere (here, there and everywhere) speculation regarding the dates in Atlanta and where they will play.
I now believe, and this is a somewhat educated guess, if U2 will be playing Atlanta on either or both March 7 & 8, they will be doing so at Philips Arena and not the Gwinnett Arena as someone, somewhere, had speculated.
My reasoning:
While the NHL is still in talks and the season suspended until further notice, the ECHL (AA league) is playing and the Gwinnett team has games March 5 & 7 at the Gwinnett Arena. Philips Arena, as of today, has nothing posted on its events calendar for the 7th & 8th.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom