Phoenix (Glendale)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Dog

War Child
I thought I would start the Phoenix thread. If you are coming from out of town let me know if you need assistance, information, etc.

Same here, I'm right down the street from the Glendale Arena too, so I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has, or help out in any way I can.

where is the Glendale Arena? (Glendale of course) but if you're staying on Camelback, where do you go from there to get to it? I've been to that one Cricket Arena I think it was called, which was a ways, a big ways, from Camelback.

The Glendale Arena is actually on the street Glendale Avenue, which is about 2 miles North of Camelback Road. The major crossroads are going to be Glendale Avenue and 91st Avenue, so I guess it depends where on Camelback you're staying. If you can give me a street number or the major crossroads near where you're staying, I can give you a little better idea how to get to the arena from there.

In relation to Cricket Pavillion, that's on Thomas and 75th Ave. Thomas is 2 miles South of Camelback, and 75th Ave. is 2 miles East of 91st Ave.

The zonies will not go quietly into the night

let's have a roll call from the out of staters coming to the desert

Something also for any out of towners going to these concerts and waiting in the GA line to consider; that arena is still relatively new, and there isn't a whole lot built up around it, and the arena doesn't have restrooms outside. So if you're coming in from out of town, take into consideration that you're probably going to want to have some sort of transportation readily available to you if you need to use the bathroom or get something to eat, because there's nothing right around there, it's a decent walk to any of those types of facilities. There are some homes right across the street, though, and there might be portable bathrooms accessible because of the construction going on with the football stadium right behind the arena. But that's kind of a hit or miss thing, I wouldn't depend on those being available. I'll be in the GA line for night 2 at least, so I'll be happy to ferry anyone for bathroom or food runs.

i will be there both nights.

this friday night a u2 tribute band is playing in Scottsdale- 2/11.fyi.

db9

I will be there both nights too - 1st night GA defintely, 2nd night either GA or the corporate suite. Depends on what the Mrs. feels like. Maybe I will do both the suite and GA on the 2nd night - who knows.

Those suites there are pretty nice. The club level seats are great too. That's such an awesome arena. I'm so glad they decide to play there instead of that craphole AWA. America West Arena is one of the worst arenas built after the 70's that I have ever been in. I've got row 2, section 110 for night one, I might try and upgrade to GA, but those are pretty nice seats if I can't.

Diamond, where's the band playing at this Friday?

Phx27 said:
So if you're coming in from out of town, take into consideration that you're probably going to want to have some sort of transportation readily available to you if you need to use the bathroom or get something to eat, because there's nothing right around there, it's a decent walk to any of those types of facilities.

Thanks for the info. I'll be there from Montreal for both shows. GA for the first night. I've already planned to rent a car and I'll bring my lunch!

i will definitely be there from buffalo on the second night. i have decent seats. Me and my buddy are trying to trade our other pair for friday for a thursday show. i would love to go to both shows. hes in mexico right now and i cant get ahold of him so i cant pull the trigger on any trades . i might just buy a pair on ebay.

I'm going to be in the GA line on 4/14 for sure and still working on getting there for 4/15. I'm from Kansas City but have a brother living in Phoenix. Unfortunately he's a medicine resident so like a sucker he has to go into work...but I'm hoping to be able to hold his spot in line!

Do you guys know, are people okay with that kind of thing...as long as I'm there all day and I"m only holding it for one person?

probably in all fairness, it will have to be first come, first served. Once one person starts holding a spot, then others will surely follow and it will get out of hand and people will get pissed off. Just my opinion.

I will be there GA for both days. So what is the closest hotel to the arena?

Hopefully they will set up porta-pottys for this event.
:uhoh:

I'm pretty sure the closest lodging to the arena is the Best Western in downtown Glendale, which is about 4 miles east of the arena. Downtown Glendale itself isn't too bad, but it's kind of a small island surrounded by not so great neighborhoods, and the Best Western is really kind of pushing that boundry. I'd recommend staying at some of the places in the Arrowhead area, which is a little farther away, about 6 or 7 miles north of the arena. The Arrowhead area is a lot better neighborhood, and there's a lot more around it to do, you've got tons of resturaunts in that area, and it's right near the mall. There's a pretty wide variety of places to stay in that area too; Comfort Suites, La Quinta Inn, Hamton Inn, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Ramada Inn, and a few others. Only drawback to that area, is that it's very very congested as far as traffic. But it's very close to the 101 freeway, which you can hop on and be at the arena in a few minutes. The freeway is also pretty bad sometimes, but at least you don't have to deal with the added hassle of stoplights and such.

I'll give them a call sometime this week, or find someone at the arena when I go to the lacrosse game next weekend, and try and find out what their policy is going to be regarding that.

I had a really hard time on the fwy when I was there going to the Cricket Arena, so I took the street, Camelback all the way, because the fwy just sat there. I was sort of hoping they would do America West arena just because just up the block were hotels you could walk to it from. I'll probably do surface streets to this one too since it's a weekday again with work traffic, the fwy's there were just like L.A.'s.

Last edited:
America West Arena does have a more central location that's probably a lot more friendly for out of towners, but in all reality, that place is a huge pile of crap compared to the Glendale Arena. Overall, the traffic is going to be a lot less terrible around the Glendale Arena, as opposed to downtown Phoenix. I can remember it taking over a half an hour sometimes to get out of the area right around AWA after a hockey game. Except for the first few games, when they were still figuring out the traffic plans, it's never taken me more than a few minutes to get out of the traffic at Glendale Arena. Plus, Glendale Arena has lots and lots of free parking, so you won't have to sign over the rights to your first born child in order to get a parking spot within a reasonable distance to the arena.

And Bonoed, I'd recommend staying somewhere in the Arrowhead neighborhood. It's a lot closer to the arena than anything on Camelback. If you're coming from around downtown in the evening on a weekday, you're definitely going to run into insanely bad traffic. Arrowhead can get bad, but as long as you avoid Bell Road, you're usually in pretty decent shape. It's definitely not going to be as bad as rush hour traffic downtown, especially since you'll likely be going against any rush hour traffic, rather than with it. There's plenty of places to stay around there, and there's a large variety of resturaunts and such in that area. It's generally a much nicer neighborhood than just about anything downtown, as well.

Anyone with an extra GA for the 4/15 show, that wants to see the 4/14 show? (I have 2 GA's for 4/14, and want to trade one for a 4/15 GA)

I'll be in Phoenix for Friday's show. I accidentally got a GA when I was trying for cheap seats. :ohmy: :hyper:

I'll be driving out from OC that day, so I have no idea when I'll make it to the line. I'm not that concerned though. Whatever happens is fine.

I have GAs for Friday but I also have a pretty important work conflict that I am now almost sure is going to change but I'll know for sure the end of this week. I can't get too excited yet but it looks good.

About the bathrooms, when I waited in the GA line in Indianapolis the nice security guard let us inside the building, one or two at a time, to use the bathroom. I happened to be let in while U2 was doing soundcheck. I had to just go straight to the bathroom and back but I lingered on the toilet for the duration of "Stay." :)

Coming in from the OC as well for the 1st show. Phx27 thanks for all the info about hotels, traffic, bathrooms, etc. I have two GA tix for the 14th and I'd be willing to trade you for your section 110 seats, if you have two, that is. I plan on coming in on Wednesday so we could meet to trade if you're interested. If not, I'll see everyone in line on the 14th!

There's a guy on craigslist selling 4 GA tickets for the 4/15 concert...he's included 4 tickets to an official after-party which will include the band. He claims to work for Sony music, which is how he got ahold of the tickets, and one of the band members is dating a family member of his. I think I'll pass...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom