Nov. 18, Philips Arena in Atlanta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hippy said:

:up:

Miroslava, are you GAing? Or do you want to hang out? :D

:lol:

I am one sick, sick puppy, and I will be GA-ing it... I'll actually only be at the saturday show so I am posting in the wrong thread!

bad mod! bad mod!

I'm definitely always up for meeting new interferencers though, unfortunately it will have to be at the GA line!

Miroslava said:

:lol:

I am one sick, sick puppy, and I will be GA-ing it... I'll actually only be at the saturday show so I am posting in the wrong thread!

bad mod! bad mod!

I'm definitely always up for meeting new interferencers though, unfortunately it will have to be at the GA line!

*scolds you*

Bad mod! :tongue:

We'll have to exchange phone #s so we can catch up with each other! :)

Fred & The Savannah Gang will be at the Saturday Show & will be hanging out next door to the Arena at Jocks & Jill's before the show! Several of us will be wearing our black custom U2 05 Boston T-shirts! If you see us please say Hey!
Enjoy the show! It will be a great one I am sure! Unfortunately, it will be our last for the tour! : (
Fred

Did anyone do GA for Elevation at Phillips? I emailed the venue but haven't heard back. I had seats on both go arounds last tour for Atlanta but I saw lines along the building for GA.

We hung out after until around 2 AM or so and security was firm but relaxed and we had no problems when the boys came out after the show. Not like the security in Detroit - who were just petty and mean with their little power plays.

YellowKite said:

We hung out after until around 2 AM or so and security was firm but relaxed and we had no problems when the boys came out after the show. Not like the security in Detroit - who were just petty and mean with their little power plays.

They didn't leave until 2 am? :ohmy:

Anywho... I have my tix for both nights IN HAND and I just reserved my hotel!

I have seats for both nights and I will be hanging around ATL all by myself on Friday and Saturday! Would anyone like to accompany me getting into trouble in the city all day? :mac:

To be honest I sort of lost track of time. I do know that I ended up giving a ride to a couple of fans to their car because the Marta stopped running hours earlier. And I defnitely know it was after 1 AM at some point.

After a while, talking to fans and hanging around and then especially after the boys all came out it all becomes a blur.

I am coming from TN with my parents, my partner, and my stepson. This will only be a first for my stepson. My parents saw U2 with me in 84, my wife in 01.
Atlanta weather is going to be mild.
So what is this cover band and where are they playing?
What's the best place to eat and drink before the show?
Can we walk from the downtown Days Inn to the arena?

Yay! Only one more week!! :hyper: My plans are finally starting to come together!

My take on Anu's questions:
Truthfully, I haven't heard anymore commercials for the tribute band at Fado lately and they don't seem to have them listed on their site, but the calendar only goes through the 12th right now. :slant: :shrug:

I'm sure you'll get various answers to the eat/drink question. Jocks n' Jills is right by the venue and has both food and drinks. The CNN center has a food court for cheap eats. Several of the places in the food court have relatively cheap beer as well. There are also some really nice places ($$) around there as well. If you have transportation, your options are almost unlimited.

I'm not sure where the Days Inn is located in relation to the arena, so I don't know if it's in walking distance. I would say if you're walking at night, make sure you're with a large group of people and be safe about it. There are some pretty rough areas around the arena.

Hey everyone! :wave:

It seems like it's taken forever for these shows to get here! I'll be driving down from Kentucky (yeeeee-ha) and should arrive at the venue sometime Thursday night and will probably sleep in the car if a fan line has started. If no one's around then I'll show up early Friday morning, and will be GA for both shows. See you all there if you're doin' GA!

News from the arena - we are going to have to get in touch with someone there - it seems they have no plans to do a member line.

You can line up at the Hangtime Porch entrance which is located off Andrew Young International Blvd. Your tickets will be scanned when you enter the building. Your ticket will be scanned a second time, in the wrist banding area. If the Vertigo Tour logo is displayed on the laptop provided by the show, you will receive a 2nd wristband which will allow you access into the inner ellipse area. There will not be a second line for fan club members.

Enjoy the show and your time at Philips Arena.

Thank you,
Philips Arena
One Philips Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Check out our Website: www.philipsarena.com
<http://www.philipsarena.com>

This was my reply:

I find it interesting that you are not honoring the procedure that U2 announced via their official website at the start of this tour. Isn't this something that should be announced by U2 on their website? Has Phillips Arena staff discussed this with U2's management? And if so, then can you please advise as to who you communicated with so that we can contact them?

Thank you - Monica

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, YelloKite! I hope they get back to you about that.

From reading a few threads it seems that the line starts as a single line and later on in the day it is separated into fanclub and non-fanclub lines, whenever the U2 management people show up at the arena. I remember reading something about a lady with a bullhorn shouting orders at people? Maybe the arena hasn't been notified about the line split yet?

I wouldnt worry about the line split. Local venue security personnel usually receive their instructions the day of. I am sure there'll be 2 lines as per norm...

:hyper:

YellowKite said:
You can line up at the Hangtime Porch entrance which is located off Andrew Young International Blvd.

[/B]

What side is that?

ruffian, I will just look for you early Friday morning. You'll know what's going on more than I will, even though this is actually my home city for once! :laugh:

Oh and drive safely :hug:

I'll be getting there around 11-ish, I hope. But I still have a bit of a problem (which I think I've already asked Lauren about but I'll put it out there to see what the rest of you think). The friend attending the shows with me is a public school teacher. Since Thanksgiving holidays start on Monday, Friday is a blackout day, meaning he can't take the day off. He's arranged to sneak away early and arrive by 1pm. :shh:
Are people going take issue with him joining me in line when he can? I mean, I doubt that there would be much difference in joining the line at 11 and 1. I'm just excited to get there and chat with people. It's not like I'm going to be at the front of the line, arriving at the crack of dawn and saving a spot for him until 5pm...

Dulce de Leche said:

What side is that?

ruffian, I will just look for you early Friday morning. You'll know what's going on more than I will, even though this is actually my home city for once! :laugh:

Oh and drive safely :hug:

thanks! and you can count on me to be generally clueless :wink: I just look for the insane fans who are camping or getting there early and show up...see you soon (but I wish the show were tonight!)

U2dork said:
I'll be getting there around 11-ish, I hope. But I still have a bit of a problem (which I think I've already asked Lauren about but I'll put it out there to see what the rest of you think). The friend attending the shows with me is a public school teacher. Since Thanksgiving holidays start on Monday, Friday is a blackout day, meaning he can't take the day off. He's arranged to sneak away early and arrive by 1pm. :shh:
Are people going take issue with him joining me in line when he can? I mean, I doubt that there would be much difference in joining the line at 11 and 1. I'm just excited to get there and chat with people. It's not like I'm going to be at the front of the line, arriving at the crack of dawn and saving a spot for him until 5pm...

Here's what I've gathered (and I'm doing a research project on this--in fact, I'm distributing more surveys in Atlanta). The general rule of thumb is that if the people behind you are cool with it and you let them know someone is joining you in two hours then fine. Others argue that this isn't fair to the people behind you in line.

We just finished statistical analysis of surveys distributed in Philadelphia, ( :nerd: ) and I can tell you that 20% of fans thought it was unacceptable for a friend to join you in line, but 80% thought it was ok. People who arrived later in the day generally were more laid back about friends joining the line than people who arrived earlier in the day.

I'd tell the people behind you in line and the people behind them, and just give them a heads up. I personally don't think a couple of hours is a big deal, but some people feel strongly about it. Wish I could give you a clear cut answer.

:nerd: indeed!

The math teacher in me loves that answer.

I kinda think the amount of people who show up during that time frame might be rather small and they probably realize the rail spots will probably already be claimed by the time they get into the arena, so I don't know why I'm worring about it.

U2dork said:
:nerd: indeed!

The math teacher in me loves that answer.

I kinda think the amount of people who show up during that time frame might be rather small and they probably realize the rail spots will probably already be claimed by the time they get into the arena, so I don't know why I'm worring about it.

that's one of the things we are studying actually--does position in line and proximity to the scarce resource (rail) affect how people feel about friends or strangers intruding (cutting) into the line?

:nerd:

i have 50 pages of Pearson correlations to look over tonight and we're refining the survey for Atlanta because a few questions need to be added. I'm getting ready to post a blurb about the surveys. People were awesome about filling them out in Philly. We got 283 responses!

That is good news Barbara! 11 am isn't so bad; you had thought it might be much later! :up:

Anyway, yeah, I think it would be fine for him to join you but communication is definitely the key :up:

And Iris, please, come hang out with GAers! If anyone has a problem with that, they are freaking insane. :|

I just checked the results for line holding: 24% said it's acceptable to holda place in line between 1-2 hours, 15% said acceptable to hold a place 2-3 hours, and the percentages dwindle from there.

We did ask the question, "under what circumstances is it acceptable to leave the GA?" and we provided windows of time for each choice. One of those choices was "Go and visit friends elsewhere in the GA line."

52% think it is acceptable for less than an hour
21% said acceptable for 1-2 hours

Interestingly, 42% of respondents think it is not acceptable at all to leave for a shower, and nearly 40% think it is not acceptable to leave the GA to go and eat! :yikes: We're working on a few other factors...it could be that people who get in line at 4pm think it isn't acceptable to eat because it wouldn't make sense if you are in line such a short period of time. Ah, the intricacies of data analysis :drool:

I figure if I'm #20 in line and #19 leaves and comes back before the line goes in, I'm still #20 in line. :shrug:

Anyway, you'll all get the survey foisted on you, if you're willing to fill it out.

GA Aquarium :giggle: I first envisioned a long line of people in the GA and curious passers-by stopping to look at them and watch their behavior...but now I realize your talkin' fish.

:sexywink:

oh and if there are people still looking for hotels near the arena, I found this on the aquarium site. *since it is near the Philips Arena*

Atlanta Marriott Marquis
265 Peachtree Center Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 521-0000

Embassy Suites Hotel Atlanta-at Centennial Olympic Park
267 Marietta St.
Atlanta, GA 30313
(404) 223-2300

Hilton Atlanta
255 Courtland St.
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 659-2000

Omni Hotel at CNN Center
100 CNN Center
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 659-0000
Renaissance Atlanta Hotel Downtown
590 West Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 881-6000

Sheraton Atlanta Hotel
165 Courtland St.
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 659-6500

The Ritz-Carlton Atlanta
181 Peachtree St. NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 659-0400

The Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta
210 Peachtree St.
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 659-1400

and here is a good site for more information about what to see and do in Atlanta. http://www.atlanta.net/index.html

I still want to know if there's someplace I can put a jacket.

Maybe hippy's car...:sexywink: :hug:

Anyone else going to have a car in case that doesn't work out that I could put something in?

And ruffian, sure I will fill out the survey. God knows we're going to have TONS of time on our hands.

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom