New York City in October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll definitely be at the 10/10 show, as I learned today. I decided to splurge and stay right near MSG, because it'll be convenient, and I'm a big chicken about going to New York and will probably stay in the midtown area. Unless I'm able to hook up with some other U2 folks, in which case I'll be a little braver.

Hi, I'm 32 and scared of New York, no matter how much my friends reassure me that it'll be fine.

:reject:

corianderstem said:
Hi, I'm 32 and scared of New York, no matter how much my friends reassure me that it'll be fine.

Don't be. :) NY rocks! Love the city. Unfortunately, I had to give up my tickets for the October shows. Will be back in November though. :hyper:

Have fun!!!

:rant:

MEET UP

MEET UP

:rant:

:wink:

ok its decided...we're going the 8th...GA....I think we may stay out of the city tho like the airport or something, its much cheaper..

what do you new yawkers think? I've stayed in some of the worst areas of new york....bronx, east ny, brownsville, so I dont really care where I stay, as long as its cheap and I can get downtown relatively easy

(i drive a CWAV...Civic With A Vengeance.... :lol:)

corianderstem said:
I'll definitely be at the 10/10 show, as I learned today. I decided to splurge and stay right near MSG, because it'll be convenient, and I'm a big chicken about going to New York and will probably stay in the midtown area. Unless I'm able to hook up with some other U2 folks, in which case I'll be a little braver.

How long are you going to be in NYC?

I'm going 10/8, 10, and 14...It seemed like it would never get here when I bought the tix months ago, but it's right around the corner now!!

Shade, have fun at Sweeney Todd. I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Cerveris, who is playing Sweeney (his solo CD is wonderful)...it's definitely on my Broadway To-See List!

corianderstem said:

I don't want to be assumptive, but what you're scared of is probably the gritty crap that tv and movies paints NYC as. Manhattan, where you'll be, is not at all scary. The other boroughs like Bronx and Brooklyn can be very scary depending upon where you go.

Obvs there's safety in numbers no matter where you go in any city- but safety wise, you'll be just fine in Manhattan.

I will be at the Hampton Inn a block from MSG, if anyone wants to share room & split cost (very small but has two beds), shoot me an email to walktothewater (at) gmail (dot) com.

corianderstem said:
I'll fly in 10/9 and leave 10/11. It's a wee little trip.

Well, I hope you don't let your fear keep you from seeing a little of the city while you're there. It's an incredible place. What sort of things would you be interested in doing/seeing? Sights? Museums? Shops?

mabel said:
Shade, have fun at Sweeney Todd. I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Cerveris, who is playing Sweeney (his solo CD is wonderful)...it's definitely on my Broadway To-See List!

I was looking for shows going on during my week in the city, and when I saw that one, I jumped on it. I'm a big fan of the musical itself, and people have raved to me about Cerveris (I've only seen him as Frank the mailman in THE MEXICAN). And, it's got Patti LuPone. It's a cheap seat (that's sort of a theme on this trip), something like Row J in the mezzanine, but it's almost dead center. Have you been in the Eugene O'Neil theater before? If so, how is it?

Nevermind.

I have two people joining me now. So that is all the small room can hold.

:wave:
EPandAmerica said:
I will be at the Hampton Inn a block from MSG, if anyone wants to share room & split cost (very small but has two beds), shoot me an email to walktothewater (at) gmail (dot) com.

corianderstem said:

Don't be scared at all, we are a very welcoming crowd :wink:you'll love it here! Since so many of us will be at the shows maybe we should walk around shouting out our screen names to identify each other :shifty:

Shade said:

I was looking for shows going on during my week in the city, and when I saw that one, I jumped on it. I'm a big fan of the musical itself, and people have raved to me about Cerveris (I've only seen him as Frank the mailman in THE MEXICAN). And, it's got Patti LuPone. It's a cheap seat (that's sort of a theme on this trip), something like Row J in the mezzanine, but it's almost dead center. Have you been in the Eugene O'Neil theater before? If so, how is it?

I've been to the O'Neill for 4 different shows (The Full Monty, Nine, Caroline or Change, and Good Vibrations)...I've sat in the mezz for Full Monty and Nine (well, Act II...I had standing room only)...you should be just fine in the center, from what I recall.

I saw Cerveris in Titanic and twice in Assassins (he won the Tony) and I've seen him in concert performing his own music several times. He's a wonderful actor, a great musician, and an all around nice guy! I've heard some people are a little skeptical about his Sweeney (saying he's too young, etc) but I think he'll be great.

Oh, I'll be fine, but thanks for all the reassurances. I'm finding that the older I get, the more of a big ol' chicken I am. :wink:

Not sure what I'll want to see. My only previous trip to NYC, I went to shows at all the famous venues, which was cool. I'll probably stick to more touristy stuff this time.

I've been taking all sorts of suggestions for things to do. I'm sure I'll just end up walking around all day Monday before heading to MSG.

oh man ... I can't believe I'll be seeing them again in less than two weeks!

... and now it looks like the friend I'm going with has plans for Sunday night, 10/9. Would love to meet up with any of youse guys! :wink:

... or is there a show that night? I honestly don't know the MSG schedule - I was amazed to see they're doing more than one run there? Just how many nights are they playing at MSG this fall, anyway?

Hi everyone! I am leaving sunny Cali for the Big Apple!!! I am so excited! We have GA's to Monday's show. We should be in town on Friday night. Is there a bar or something where Interferencers are meeting?

Me and my girlfriend are travelling over from Edinburgh for the shows on 10/08 and 10/10. I am a wheelchair user so if anyone sees a half drunk, happy Scottish dude in a wheelchair at the shows then please say hello. The 10/08 show is on my birthday.:wink:

mabel said:

I've been to the O'Neill for 4 different shows (The Full Monty, Nine, Caroline or Change, and Good Vibrations)...I've sat in the mezz for Full Monty and Nine (well, Act II...I had standing room only)...you should be just fine in the center, from what I recall.

I saw Cerveris in Titanic and twice in Assassins (he won the Tony) and I've seen him in concert performing his own music several times. He's a wonderful actor, a great musician, and an all around nice guy! I've heard some people are a little skeptical about his Sweeney (saying he's too young, etc) but I think he'll be great.

That's all great to hear - I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Just curious - how does SRO work?

HelloAngel said:
I really hope we can all nail down a meeting place. I'm shy - but I'd love to meet everyone! :)

Do you know of any centrally-located places that might be cool to hang out in? I'm staying with a friend in Washington Heights, and will probably be commuting downtown every day that I'm in the city. Unfortunately, I haven't been in NYC since 1999, so I don't know what's cool. Maybe we can all meet up at the Hard Rock, or something? I really don't know what to suggest.

Blue strings are a great idea. Then Bono will ask us why and we can say we are blue crack addicts. :giggle:

I know Friday's is right near MSG and I think there is another type of Bar by there too, I'm waiting for One4U2 to tell me where it is.

youtwohearts said:
Blue strings are a great idea. Then Bono will ask us why and we can say we are blue crack addicts. :giggle:

I know Friday's is right near MSG and I think there is another type of Bar by there too, I'm waiting for One4U2 to tell me where it is.

I can't remember the name but I believe it's 33rd and 8th, it's an irish bar I'll know it when I see it :D

Back
Top Bottom