MERGED-->March 28th, San Diego Fan Gathering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ruffian said:

bet you are right. i'm trying to figure out if I want to be in the oval or just on the outside of it...while i'm sure they'll do the first couple songs on the central stage, i imagine they'll also use the walkway/ramp quite a bit. decisions decisions! Are you going to the second show, too?

wishes I could go to the second show!! :sad: But its difficult to get a babysitter and that is a wednesday. My son has school.

I haven't decided on whether to be inside or outside yet either. Think I want to be inside opening nite..

I am gonna call the SD Arena and try and talk to someone about how security is gonna go for this. Last time it was a disaster from what I heard. Someone got hurt, basically trampled on because they let everyone in at the same time. They opened all the doors to the venue! They just CANT do this again.! The way other venues did it, was one set of doors were open and people went in that way. And they made sure that people didn't run.
Gawd, I hope this doesn't happen! And ruin my experience!

U2Fanatic4ever said:

wishes I could go to the second show!! :sad: But its difficult to get a babysitter and that is a wednesday. My son has school.

I haven't decided on whether to be inside or outside yet either. Think I want to be inside opening nite..

I am gonna call the SD Arena and try and talk to someone about how security is gonna go for this. Last time it was a disaster from what I heard. Someone got hurt, basically trampled on because they let everyone in at the same time. They opened all the doors to the venue! They just CANT do this again.! The way other venues did it, was one set of doors were open and people went in that way. And they made sure that people didn't run.
Gawd, I hope this doesn't happen! And ruin my experience!

that would be awful. can you also ask about whether they are allowing camping? it'll help me figure out what time people are showing up. i'm trying to get a THIRD ticket for Chicago and I just don't think it's going to happen. I wanna go on Bono's birthday! I'm hoping maybe at the shows on the 7th or 9th someone will be selling one. Can't seem to get enough U2 :crazy:

ruffian said:

that would be awful. can you also ask about whether they are allowing camping? it'll help me figure out what time people are showing up. i'm trying to get a THIRD ticket for Chicago and I just don't think it's going to happen. I wanna go on Bono's birthday! I'm hoping maybe at the shows on the 7th or 9th someone will be selling one. Can't seem to get enough U2 :crazy:

A show on Bono's Birthday is fun. During Elevation, those in the front row of the heart had on Birthday party hats and a banner.
Don't forget the 20 girls that dances with him on the Heart ramp during Mysterious Ways.

Classic

skjuls said:

A show on Bono's Birthday is fun. During Elevation, those in the front row of the heart had on Birthday party hats and a banner.
Don't forget the 20 girls that dances with him on the Heart ramp during Mysterious Ways.

Classic

god, i forgot about that!!!!
*scurrying off to desperately browse tickets for sale again*

ruffian said:

god, i forgot about that!!!!
*scurrying off to desperately browse tickets for sale again*

skjuls, which shows are you seeing in chicago?

ruffian said:

skjuls, which shows are you seeing in chicago?

I going to go to May 7th show which means I'm missing out on all the Derby fun in L'ville.

I was going to make a vacation out of all the Chicago shows but I got the GA opener and already have buyer for my tickets for Chicago May 10 and May 12.

ruffian said:

I was gonna ask that question for sure! I was gonna go by sunday nite at some point to see if people are camping out or not.
I kinda doubt they will allow overnite camping but I am sure people are gonna try. They may hang out across the street if that lot is closed off.

skjuls said:

I going to go to May 7th show which means I'm missing out on all the Derby fun in L'ville.

I was going to make a vacation out of all the Chicago shows but I got the GA opener and already have buyer for my tickets for Chicago May 10 and May 12.

well, i'm sure we'll see each other in the GA line on the 7th :) if your buyer falls through let me know :)

For People not Interested in Hard Rock

Hey,

I don't think I want to see a cover band right before the concert. Plus I'll want some sleep before waiting in the GA line all night, and Hard Rock Cafe's event can go until 1 am.

I don't think we'll really get to converse together with a cover band playing. I think I'll be satisfied to see the real U2 twice in a row.

So some of us are meeting at a pub in the Gaslamp district instead. It'll be more "San Diego-ish" than the chain restaurant, overpriced Hard Rock Cafe.

How many out there in Interference world are interested in an alternative to the Hard Rock's Vertigo Eve?

U2Fanatic4ever said:

I was gonna ask that question for sure! I was gonna go by sunday nite at some point to see if people are camping out or not.
I kinda doubt they will allow overnite camping but I am sure people are gonna try. They may hang out across the street if that lot is closed off.

The Arena does not allow camping out. I doubt there will be any camping out allowed. That area is usually dead at night, I wouldn't want to hang out there that's for sure but let me tell you, being so close to the beach community there are plenty of patrol cars coming through moving wanna-be campers to move on. There are a lot of signs posted also stating no loitering or parking during certain hours.

Re: For People not Interested in Hard Rock

yoshitownsend62 said:
Hey,

I don't think I want to see a cover band right before the concert. Plus I'll want some sleep before waiting in the GA line all night, and Hard Rock Cafe's event can go until 1 am.

I don't think we'll really get to converse together with a cover band playing. I think I'll be satisfied to see the real U2 twice in a row.

So some of us are meeting at a pub in the Gaslamp district instead. It'll be more "San Diego-ish" than the chain restaurant, overpriced Hard Rock Cafe.

How many out there in Interference world are interested in an alternative to the Hard Rock's Vertigo Eve?

If you haven't put your name on the RSVP list there's not a chance getting in to the HRC anyway. If you choose not to attend the Vertigo Eve bash you won't know what you're missing! Also to clarify, The Joshua Tree is not a cover band, they are a tribute band, there is a difference. Whoever chooses to hang out elsewhere we'll all catch up with you the next day for sure! :lol: Stay safe in our fair city!

Karen

well, I am on the reservation list already. I just haven't decided if I should stay on it or not.

Do you think it'll be too loud to socialize with other fans? Or will the "tribute" band just be in the background, while we all mingle?

As I said, most important is for me to meet U2 fans from all around.

I might still go yet... maybe I'll go to the Gaslamp pub earlier in the day, then get to the Hard Rock around 8 pm.

I would like to see 250 U2 fans at once, outside a concert.

yoshitownsend62 said:
well, I am on the reservation list already. I just haven't decided if I should stay on it or not.

Do you think it'll be too loud to socialize with other fans? Or will the "tribute" band just be in the background, while we all mingle?

I might still go yet... maybe I'll go to the Gaslamp pub earlier in the day, then get to the Hard Rock around 8 pm.

It's your call on this one. I'm sure there will bea myriad of U2 fans descending on the Gaslamp and downtown as well as the HRC Vertigo Tour Eve. Everyone's different when it comes to what's loud or not in order to feel they can mingle. All I will say is the room will be full of U2 fans and U2 music with a band who emulates U2 to a "T", their performances keep the room hopping and rocking and there is a lot of audience interaction, so it is like a U2 show in many ways. This is also charity for AWF, so if you plan to go please let ATU2.com know or buy your ticket via Paypal, or if you choose just to donate to AWF, your contribution will be "well" received. Hope to see you there. You will have a good time.

Karen

yoshitownsend62 said:

It would be so cool to have another Texan there! Also I'll need another witness to JT's power so that I can bring the band to North Texas hopefully sometime this year. Trust me...just stay for at least an hour, and then I'll bet you will want to stay the whole night. JT is too addictive!!! :crazy:

yoshitownsend62 said:

no reason you can't do both--not sure what time the JT gig will end up you can grab a pint after that with other fans you meet at Hard Rock, or do the happy hour/early thing. i think the atmosphere at Hard Rock will be a blast

Allegra said:

It would be so cool to have another Texan there! Also I'll need another witness to JT's power so that I can bring the band to North Texas hopefully sometime this year. Trust me...just stay for at least an hour, and then I'll bet you will want to stay the whole night. JT is too addictive!!! :crazy:

Hey Allegra! :wave:
I'm flying to Dallas on the 24th to visit family and flying out to SD from there on the 27th. When do you leave? It would be awesome to get together with any other fans in Dallas for some pre-show celebration. I don't know my schedule yet--I do know I'm flying to Houston for a day to visit my brother and don't know yet what day that will be. On the 27th I think I leave in the morning, a direct flight on American.

Carek1230 said:

The Arena does not allow camping out. I doubt there will be any camping out allowed. That area is usually dead at night, I wouldn't want to hang out there that's for sure but let me tell you, being so close to the beach community there are plenty of patrol cars coming through moving wanna-be campers to move on. There are a lot of signs posted also stating no loitering or parking during certain hours.

How will they police this?

Even if there are gates up I imagine that people will line up outside them so as to ensure that they are the first ones in line once they are allowed.

Someone posted on u2wire that they were going to arrive 24 hours before the SD show starts. That's nuts, but once one person is there more people will line up.

spinninghead77 said:

How will they police this?

Even if there are gates up I imagine that people will line up outside them so as to ensure that they are the first ones in line once they are allowed.

Someone posted on u2wire that they were going to arrive 24 hours before the SD show starts. That's nuts, but once one person is there more people will line up.

Karen said there are patrol cars cruising around there, so I'd assume they'd ask people to "disassemble" (did I make up that word?). I can imagine people lining up across the street or near "the gates" if the entry to the arena is blocked off well in advance of the show.

ruffian<--- *thinking she is too old for this camping crap despite undying passion for U2*

Personally, I cannot see why anyone would want to spend 24 hours of their life outside a venue before a u2 concert. I need to be in my "right mind" to enjoy the experience. Maybe it's my age, but I can't imagine even showing up until 10am. I did 6:30am on the last tour twice, and that was pretty rough.

Plus, I've a herniated disc this time around, so I'm definitely not going to be up for standing for long periods of time. Maybe people will chill a little more on this tour than the last in terms of showing up at 10pm the night before. I just think it's insane and propels people to show up even earlier.

oktobergirl said:
Personally, I cannot see why anyone would want to spend 24 hours of their life outside a venue before a u2 concert. I need to be in my "right mind" to enjoy the experience. Maybe it's my age, but I can't imagine even showing up until 10am. I did 6:30am on the last tour twice, and that was pretty rough.

Plus, I've a herniated disc this time around, so I'm definitely not going to be up for standing for long periods of time. Maybe people will chill a little more on this tour than the last in terms of showing up at 10pm the night before. I just think it's insane and propels people to show up even earlier.

I hear ya on that. I don't see why they would either. But being opening nite I can kinda see it. I am going to scope out the place the nite before and see how many are there.

If there are a lot of people I might consider it. Hence, the area is seedy, maybe I will stay inside my minivan...lol

U2Fanatic4ever said:

I hear ya on that. I don't see why they would either. But being opening nite I can kinda see it. I am going to scope out the place the nite before and see how many are there.

If there are a lot of people I might consider it. Hence, the area is seedy, maybe I will stay inside my minivan...lol

well, I really *hate* the idea of sitting on the sidewalk for even three hours before a show, but even more, I don't want to be in the back of the room--for me, seeing the band live means being close. So I guess I'm going to suck it up and show up at the crack of dawn. I've been thinking about what I should bring: lounge chair, styrofoam cooler, music, snacks, cell phone, book...can anyone else think of anyone else? I'm lucky to stay across the street so I can schlep all my crap back to the room when it's near the time to go in. Anyway, I hear you...it's a miserable time (other than getting to chat with other fans, which I love).

ruffian said:

well, I really *hate* the idea of sitting on the sidewalk for even three hours before a show, but even more, I don't want to be in the back of the room--for me, seeing the band live means being close. So I guess I'm going to suck it up and show up at the crack of dawn. I've been thinking about what I should bring: lounge chair, styrofoam cooler, music, snacks, cell phone, book...can anyone else think of anyone else? I'm lucky to stay across the street so I can schlep all my crap back to the room when it's near the time to go in. Anyway, I hear you...it's a miserable time (other than getting to chat with other fans, which I love).

Don't forget you got me there with ya at the crack of dawn!:wink:

I am so sure that I can handle camping overnite though but I am gonna still check it out the nite before anyhow.

I *hate* the idea of hangin out all day but IT IS SO SO WORTH IT!! :drool:

As for what to bring you pretty much got it. Also bring a blanket to keep warm (in the morning it will be cool but my guess is at that time of the year it may get to the low 70s or high 60s at worse during the day). I am thinking of bring a game..like uno and/or cards. I am also bringing my u2 ipod along with the portable speaker dock for it so we can play u2 tunes all day!

yeah the best part is chatting with fans it sure does make the time fly by! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom