MERGED --> Detroit Rock City Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't bad. After the concert the traffic will be backed up anyways and slow so you can cross no problem. Its not like it's an Interstate but watch out for drunk drivers.

Last edited:
FYI from miroslava and bonosloveslave concerning the line situation:

Security is being very strict about the 2pm line-up time. No parking will be allowed at the venue before that. No one will not be allowed to line-up on property before 2pm, the venue will call the police if need be.
:huh:

There will be an attempt to line-up in a grassy area directly in front of the palace between Championship Drive and Isiah Thomas drive (?).

There is a dipped area in the grassy knoll adjacent to that, with a marsh separating that from the parking lot. They don't know for sure that this will work but people are planning to try to line up there.

holy cow.. i just read the Part II version of this as i'm on my way out the door for detroit. i'm about 2 1/2 hours away. i hate when this kind of stuff happens. stupid detroit. these shows better rock my socks off.

send me an email if you want. i can check them from my phone.. joeperry924@aol.com

oh btw, for everyone else out there, look for me! i love meeting new cool U2 fans. i've got ona b&w striped blazer, wing tips and curly red hair!!

New update - at present we are numbering the line at the Post Bar parking lot across the street, not sure how it will go down for moving the line over in the afternoon. Palace security said they *might* help us out by telling people that pull in their driveway to come over to check in with us...

This is where people can stay/camp tonight if they are gonna line up for Tuesday's show - there is grass that you can put up a tent. I slept in my car :huh:

Be warned - the Post parking lot is decent size but if it fills up before showtime (I don't think that would be an issue til closer to 6pm) your only option to park will be at the Palace.

And we are so sad that neutral couldn't make it :sad: :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!

I'm still planning on arriving around 2:00 tomorrow. I'm not really feeling well, and I don't know if it's nerves/excitement or if I really am getting sick, so I just wanna spend the night at home. I'm not gonna obsess over a spot...I'm just looking forward to being there.

I just got off the phone with Beth (bonosloveslave). She said that the Palace is being super strict. They did not allow people in the lot until 2:00p, and the list and numbering that they had all done over at The Post was worth jack. She said there were 9 people who managed to get at the Palace before them, and that the GA line is sucky. There are no porta-potties, and the Palace won't let anyone in until 6:00p. They are, however, allowing some flexibility with leaving the line for 20 or 30 minutes. However, once it hits 5:00p, you can't leave the line.

Hi everyone!
I've been reading this forum off and on for years now but never spent any real time in here. I'm totally tired of U2.com... and there's no info. over there right now about the Palace.

I'm so glad I found this forum again and found this info.! Please keep me informed on what's going on. I don't know what time to leave now for tomorrow's show. All the other venues on this tour, that I've been to, have not been as bitchy as the Palace. I was planning on camping... but who knows now. Can someone keep me informed on here tonight? I'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!! :D

It should take me about 50 minutes to drive to the Palace, and I'm planning on leaving around 1:00p. I'm just gonna show up at 2:00p...and make sure I pee beforehand. :lol:

Beth said that some people were peeing outside, but she also said there is a gas station not too far away, should someone not be able to cross their legs anymore. :wink: But I'd be nervous about leaving the line. :uhoh:

Oh, and welcome! :wave: I'm in Salem...not too far from Ann Arbor!

I think I'm going to try to go early in the morning and see what's going on. We didn't camp during Elevation and showed up at the Palace at 9am. There was a long-ish line at that time. I don't know why they are being so bitchy this time around. Oh, and there were porta-potties during Elevation--but there were only a couple and you had to walk a little way to them. Oh, and there are always the wooded area behind one of the parking lots... I can't remember which side it's on though. :happy:

I hope all goes well for us!! (And I really hope they open the gates earlier tomorrow morning!) :wink:

I really doubt they will open the gates any earlier tomorrow. Beth told me that arriving right at 2:00p as opposed to getting there a whole lot earlier really didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Or mayhaps she's just saying that so that they don't have any competition. ;) Really though, unless you absolutely have your heart set on a particular sweet spot, I really don't know if it's worth the pain in the ass of enduring all that junk. All I can about is a fairly decent spot. I don't need to be at the front of the line, but I don't want to be one of the last people trickling in...so I figure a 2:00p arrival should be fine.

Well, I'm only 5'6" and was miserable in Chicago when we got there at about 9am and was second row on the outside, with three really tall people in front of me (but I try really hard not to complain about tall people because my husband is 6'6" and feels bad about blocking people's view :wink:). So we decided to camp after that and when we got in the ellipse, front and center, in Boston I just had to keep camping; it was too amazing!

But really, all I care about is getting on a railing. But we shall see... and it IS awfully cold outside... ugh...

Where do you enter with GA tickets in Detroit?

Heading up for the show tonight, wondering where the GA enterance is...thanks in advance!

--Aaron

Back
Top Bottom