May 9th, United Center in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anybody have any experience staying in hotels near airports? I am so frustrated by the high prices of the downtown hotels that I started to check out the airport hotels. We are actually driving (from Ohio), but many of the airport hotels offer perks like free parking and breakfast and proximity to mass transit. I have found rooms for around a hundred bucks near Midway; haven't checked near O'Hare yet. A note to Rebecca and anyone else concerned about travelling to/from the arena safely: if several of us are at the same hotel, we can meet up and either share a cab (and costs) or take public transport in a group. Safety in numbers! (Did I mention my husband is 6'4" and can look menacing if necessary?)

I'm not getting a good feeling about the Congress Plaza. There are mixed reviews at tripadvisor, and a pretty strong post somewhere here by lukea (over in U2 Tour Dates) warning people away.

I've got to get some sleep, but I'll work on this more tomorrow, and post back. Hope to meet people in Chicago. Trainspotter, are you coming all the way across the pond?

hey! i'm going to be at the 5/10 and 5/12 shows w/ a couple of friends. never been to chicago, and have no clue where to stay... if anyone has some suggestions, please pass them along! (the closer to the venue, the better- though i've heard it's a dodgy neighborhood...)

thanks!!! :)

Area around Midway is not that great and O'Hare is going make for a long trek to the UC...I would just stay in the Loop or Michigan Ave. areas.

Good site for hotel reviews is http://www.tripadvisor.com . The Loop is not a long bus ride to the UC, I wouldn't try to stay any closer to the UC than there (yes, it is a dodgy neighborhood).

Posted this in another thread but just looked at this one. I found a few Red Roof Inns that are around $50/night (I am staying for all Chicago shows). A little drive to the UC, but worth it instead of forking out a lot more to stay downtown. If any of you who are looking are interested in all staying at the same place or hanging out or whatever, let me know. Only 1 month to go :) :)

thehepcat327@hotmail.com

Pop Artist said:
Area around Midway is not that great and O'Hare is going make for a long trek to the UC...I would just stay in the Loop or Michigan Ave. areas.

Good site for hotel reviews is http://www.tripadvisor.com . The Loop is not a long bus ride to the UC, I wouldn't try to stay any closer to the UC than there (yes, it is a dodgy neighborhood).

great, thanks for the info!! i did a bit of research, and found a Marriott that was 1/2 mile from the United Center, but it was SO EXPENSIVE!! anyway, i'll let you all know what i find out as i do more research... thanks again for the tips! :)

Kyra1 said:
Trainspotter, are you coming all the way across the pond?

Yes, I am over in the states for a week, my mates are going home a day before me, and I am flying into Chicago for U2

Well, trainspotter (can I call you "train" for short? javascript:smilie(':wink:')), if you're coming all that way, the least we can do is buy you a drink. We'll have to figure out a way to meet up!

OK, I have spent a LONG morning searching for cheap lodging. I am still not coming up with cheap hotels, other than the aforementioned Red Roof Inns. Well, I am finding cheaper hotels in the suburbs, but by the time you factor in having to drive into the city and park, they're not saving much money.

However, I finally had the brilliant idea to look up the local hostels. For all you people not afraid to sleep in bunk beds in a room with strangers, and to use the bathroom down the hall, this is by far your cheapest option.

The largest and newest hostel in Chicago, and the only HI hostel, is the HI-Chicago. Web site is www.hichicago.org. It's about $30/night. It looks clean, new, and pleasant. They also happily take group reservations. That's right, groups! (I am imagining a room full of PLEBANs...) Hostels do sometimes have private rooms, but I haven't figured out if they do or not. (I have to tell you, for thirty bucks a night, if I could be in a room with other Interferencers, maybe I could stand to be separated from my husband for a couple of nights!) Check out the website, there's lots of info.

There is also the Chicago International Hostel, and the Arlington House Hostel. Both of these received mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com, for what it's worth. These are a bit farther away; the Chicago International is near Loyola, and the Arlington seems to be in a very nice neighborhood.

I also looked at Fat Johnny's Last Resort Home Hostel, but it's not really my kind of place. (As Dave Barry would say, I am NOT making this up!)

I have a long list of hotels I am still sorting through, and will let you know what I find out. I'm going to go post this information in the "Places to stay in Chicago" thread, too.

-kyra

May 9th

I hope you guys remember it's somebody's birthday that night...

I will be in GA , tall guy with Boy t-shirt

I will try not to stand in front of you...

Peace

Wim

Kyra1 said:
Well, trainspotter (can I call you "train" for short? javascript:smilie(':wink:')), if you're coming all that way, the least we can do is buy you a drink. We'll have to figure out a way to meet up!

cool, I seldom turn down a drink.

There is a sale on at www.holidayinn.com at the moment, it finished on Friday, they have 2 city centre hotels at $119-$129, so I might well end up there

Last edited:
I put some more hotel info over in the "Places to stay in Chicago?" thread in the U2 Tour Dates Forum....

hi..I'm new in here..I will be in GA for this show!!!I'd like to ask some question...
is it allowed to bring a digitalcamera?(any suggestion?)
what is the best time to start que???
any preparty or post party in chicago?
how to get before and after the show to go back in michigan avenue?
how dangerous is UC area and chicago?(it's my first trip to chicago)
sorry,I have so many question to ask..
can't wait til next month!!!!

Hi,
I'll be in GA line for the 9th but I live in the burbs so won't need to book a room.

I saw all of the posts wondering where to stay, I just thought that you might want to try hotwire.com because my boss just booked a stay to Chicago through them and got the Drake (5 star hotel) for $115/night!

The only thing that stinks about it is that you can't see where you are staying until you choose a hotel based on star ranking and price. But I just looked and you could book a 3.5 star hotel for under $100/night. Oh - and once you book, you can't cancel.

Hope to meet some of you in line! Good luck with all of your travel plans!

Good point about a post-show gathering, RademR. Who would be interested?

I knew you would be, trainspotter! My husband and I would come, too, of course. (Maybe it should be in the Sea of Happiness lounge!)

Anyone else?

Hey RademR,

I lived near the UC in Chicago for the past 5 years (and Chicago my whole life), if you let me know what type of bar you like I can give info on a number of good ones in the area.

Regards,
Rob

So excited by my San Jose experience but feeling more than a little broke. So, I find this to be a good thread with helpful discussion.
Here's my plea: I'm traveling alone and would love to share hotel and cab expenses with one or some like-minded fans.
I'm 37 (some said Bono look-alike), spiritual-activist-intellectual, anti-war, will enjoy partying before-during-after the gig, married (I am *not* looking for a date).
I'm flying into Midway mid-day Monday and am leaving mid-day Tuesday.
Please email me or PM me if you are interested. Thanks!!!
Anu (andy) Anu@pumpkinhollow.net

Hey Anu,

Glad you're going to be at the May 9th show with the rest of us! For more info about hotels, and another good place to post your plea, go to the U2 Tour Dates forum and look for a thread called "Places to stay in Chicago?"

There are hostels in Chicago, which would be your absolutely cheapest way to go. The nicest one is thirty bucks a night (HI-Chicago), but there are a couple others that are cheaper. Again, all that info is in the other thread.

Now, what about that post-show gathering? Who else is interested? Does anyone have any suggestions as to locations? Rob, can you help us out here? I would guess we would want someplace friendly, where we would be able to hear ourselves talk, and that wouldn't throw out a bunch of overexcited U2 fans!

I'd be up for a post-party on May9th (as long as I can convince my friend, but her arm is easily twisted). There are many nearby locations that sport some great drinking, talking, and music listening opportunities.
I'll post some places on here tomorrow.

howdy, i'm kinda late to this thread.
i'll be in chicago for the may 9th and 10th shows.
well i have a nosebleed ticket for the may 9th show, and i'm still trying to get a GA for the 10th (so if anyone knows where i can get a near face value GA for the 10th let me know!)

so like starsgoblue, i might just be hanging out around the arena on the 10th to meet the boys and give bono a birthday card...i'm going to make a big birthday card for bono for as many people to sign as possible :)

for those of you who have hotel reservations already maybe you can post which hotels you're staying at? i don't know the chicago area at all and am still looking for a hotel to stay at.

ayearwome said:
Hey RademR,

I lived near the UC in Chicago for the past 5 years (and Chicago my whole life), if you let me know what type of bar you like I can give info on a number of good ones in the area.

Regards,
Rob

definetly interested. Am really open to any kind of bars, which ones would you recommend?

ABEL said:

for those of you who have hotel reservations already maybe you can post which hotels you're staying at? i don't know the chicago area at all and am still looking for a hotel to stay at.

I have booked up at the Cass Hotel, a bargain for the location, I think $79.28 inc tax, and as it has a bar, I hope to meet with a few U2 fans, before and after the show, and maybe share cabs, as they are nearby.

http://www.casshotel.com/

(casshotel dot com)

trainspotter said:

I have booked up at the Cass Hotel, a bargain for the location, I think $79.28 inc tax, and as it has a bar, I hope to meet with a few U2 fans, before and after the show, and maybe share cabs, as they are nearby.

http://www.casshotel.com/

(casshotel dot com)

that actually looks pretty good...how far is it from the united center?

We're booked at the Cass as well. Hoping to meet trainspotter and hepcat in the Sea of Happiness!

Abel, the United Center is not a place to walk to because of 1) distance and 2) neighborhood. The CTA generally runs extra "express" buses for games and events. This would be safe and cheap, or you could take a cab. Read through the posts in this thread, and also in "Places to stay in Chicago?" over in the U2 Tour Dates forum for more information about hotels, hostels, etc.

Hope you have a safe trip from Texas!

Wow!! A lot U2 fans staying at the Cass hotel....boy will your tripped be fulfilled with wonderful opportunities. That hotel is in great part of town, so much to see and do!!!
If a lot of people are staying in this area of town, a good bar to meet at would be something like a Rock Bottom (at Grand and State St) or Fado Irish Pub, just around the corner from here.

Neither are jaw dropping bars, but both have great service, selection, atmosphere, the ability to talk (i.e. music isn't too loud).

There are also bars closer to the United Center such as Hawkeyes, Moretti's, and Cleo's that offer a similar experience.

Back
Top Bottom