March 28th, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
satying in san diego

wht hotel is everyone staying in San diego, are we all going to try and stay in the same hotel and go to venue together, that would be neat. I still haven't booked my hotel yet as I'm lacking in $$$ so I guess I'm askijng for hotel suggestions at a reasonable price. I'm coming from Vancouver, BC

there's a Holiday Inn across the street, its not bad, and it beats driving there, because the parking is horrid getting in and out, and going to it the same thing, you just sit in traffic for about 1-1/2 hrs to even get in there.

bonoed said:
there's a Holiday Inn across the street, its not bad, and it beats driving there, because the parking is horrid getting in and out, and going to it the same thing, you just sit in traffic for about 1-1/2 hrs to even get in there.

do you know the actual address and the number of the holiday in or the address of the venue? I'm booking hotel today :)

I will be there on the 27th 'cause I want to see Velvet Revolver the day before since I'm traveling all the way from Vancouver.

that's it, the complimentary parking alone is worth it, because most of the other hotels charge up to $20 a nite to park at them. Look for ones with free parking, there's some others in Mission Valley that are free pkg, but this is so convenient, just walk 2 blocks to the arena.

Anyone else in San Diego have any recommendations? I have been to just about every U2 show at that Sports Arena since U2 began.

What's the area like around there? I'm not that familiar with San Diego, only been there a few times. I'm going to be too short on cash to spring for a rental car, so I have to rely on public transportation and walking to get around. Also, how far is that from the airport?

its close to the airport, but you can't walk to it of course.

A better hotel, for anybody interested, is the Hyatt Islandia, its just over the road to it, its like down one st., turn right, go straight ahead and left you're on Spts. Arena, its beautiful, its right on the water. It's far better than the Hilton that's nearby it, although the Hilton also has rooms right on the water. I think its like $189 a nite. Also, the hotels on Harbor Island are right near as well, but all of them you'd need a car or a taxi, Sheraton and some others.

The area around the Sports Arena is ok, and when the show is on before and after is safe to walk, because you're walking with hundreds of people all around also walking. There's plenty of restaurants, shops, its not a bad area at all.

I was trying to figure out how many U2 tours I have been to there. One time U2 stayed at the ... (I took that off for their privacy, they may stay there again.)

Last edited:
San Diego is a big tourist destination, so there are a ton of hotel options. But some may be pricey.

If you want to stay near the Sports Arena, Google "San Diego hotels" and include either Sports Arena Blvd, Midway Blvd, or Rosecrans St in your search. They won't be the nicest, but the area is by no means dangerous (its basically a bunch of strip malls).

Sports Arena is fairly central to the city, so you could stay in Downtown, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Old Town, Mission Bay, or Hotel Circle and be within a 5-10 min drive. Hotel Circle tends to be the most economical, but the area is kind of dull (its seems to cater to the business traveller). The other areas are near decent restaraunts, bars, clubs, etc. All are near the airport, which sits adjacent to downtown.

My guess (and its just a guess) is that U2 will either be staying at the W Hotel downtown. :)

Is there anyplace really cheap, and relatively sanitary in that general area around the arena? Like say maybe a Motel 6 or something? Holiday Inn is nice and all, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express up in Wenatchee, and I really liked it, but I don't really plan on spending a whole lot of time in my room. I just basically want someplace to stash my stuff, sleep, and shower. Just something that's not going to cost me a lot of cash, but that also isn't going to require that I go through a decontamination wash down before I go home either.

i lived in SD for awhile and very close to the Arena so i know that area very well. there is a Holiday Inn across the street and Holiday Inn express just down the street, within walking distance. also, there are a bunch of nice motels in Point Loma which is not very far away, you could take a cab. or you could try Pacific Beach, the most happening beach town close to the Arena. if you have any other questions just ask. i will be there opening nite and the second date, we all must party together!!:drunk: :happy:

hmmmm

redsox04 said:
San Diego is a big tourist destination, so there are a ton of hotel options. But some may be pricey.

If you want to stay near the Sports Arena, Google "San Diego hotels" and include either Sports Arena Blvd, Midway Blvd, or Rosecrans St in your search. They won't be the nicest, but the area is by no means dangerous (its basically a bunch of strip malls).

Sports Arena is fairly central to the city, so you could stay in Downtown, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Old Town, Mission Bay, or Hotel Circle and be within a 5-10 min drive. Hotel Circle tends to be the most economical, but the area is kind of dull (its seems to cater to the business traveller). The other areas are near decent restaraunts, bars, clubs, etc. All are near the airport, which sits adjacent to downtown.

My guess (and its just a guess) is that U2 will either be staying at the W Hotel downtown. :)

I like your guess about where the boys may stay..:wink: The W Hotel is literally across the street from where I work! I might just start stalking the place. If not the boys maybe part of the crew will be there. I certainly will keep my eye out for anything. And I was thinking this too but It's possible they may just fly back to LA after. Or rent a house, at least between the three of them. Edge has his own house in malibu.

Last edited:
They'll have their own plane and a day off between concerts, I'm betting they will be staying in LA.

dgirrly WE WILL PARTY ALLTOGETHER! Trust ME!

We need to do a major big PARTY!

I need some help with the 'W' hotel

Does someone has the complete name and the street address. I might book there

please email me : fredstab@videotron.ca

Thanks

i doubt the boys will be staying at the W. that place is so crowded every nite, there is usually a line around the block to get in. i don't think they would want to have to deal with that. of course it is the coolest hotel around, i have stayed there and it is awesome and they are pet friendly. i brought my dog there and they brought up his own bed, dog bowls and placemat...it was the cutest. anyway, the W is about $240 a nite, if ya got it go for it you won't be disappointed. but just beware it is a total scene at the Beach bar and the lobby bar so if that's not your thing i wouldn't recommend it. it is located at 421 West B St. San Diego 92101 (619) 231.8220
any other questions about San Diego just ask. :wave:

dgirrrly said:
i doubt the boys will be staying at the W. that place is so crowded every nite, there is usually a line around the block to get in. i don't think they would want to have to deal with that. of course it is the coolest hotel around, i have stayed there and it is awesome and they are pet friendly. i brought my dog there and they brought up his own bed, dog bowls and placemat...it was the cutest. anyway, the W is about $240 a nite, if ya got it go for it you won't be disappointed. but just beware it is a total scene at the Beach bar and the lobby bar so if that's not your thing i wouldn't recommend it. it is located at 421 West B St. San Diego 92101 (619) 231.8220
any other questions about San Diego just ask. :wave:

That's exactly true dgirrrly!

That place is pretty crowded on the weekend so yeah...I HIGHLY doubt they will stay there. Like I said maybe some of the crew will be there..regardless since I work directly across the street from there I will be scoping it out closely as it gets closer to opening nite. Probably l'll start "stalking" a week before or so. :wink:

help with san diego/orange county area

Hello Southern California friends!

I have tickets to the san diego concert but am flying into John Wayne Aiport in Orange County a few days earlier. Being from Utah, I'm not familiar with the area, and I was wondering if it's more practical to stay in the Orange County area (Newport Beach, Anaheim, Costa Mesa, etc.) and somehow get to san diego the night of the concert, or stay in San Diego and drive to and from the airport?

If anyone has any suggestions or tips on where to stay, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shamim

The San Diego area is expensive to stay in, but I would suggest it. Unless you get up really early the day of the concert to drive from OC to San Diego, you will be stuck in traffic for a while. There's a lot of construction going on on the 805 just outside the city, which makes traffic worse. If you're getting in a few days earlier, stay in the OC until the night before the concert. The night before the concert, get a room just outside of San Diego. Make sure that you call ahead for reservations. Unless you stay at a roach motel, the cheapest place I've found (at least when I looked) was the Holiday Inn near Jack Murphy stadium. You don't want to have to drive from the OC to San Diego the night of the concert, especially being from Utah. The traffic will get to you.

Hi Shamin,

It all depends on when you get in to John Wayne. If your getting in the afternoon/evening I would just get a hotel in Newport or Laguna and then spend the next morning to see some sights and hang on the beach, etc.

The drive down to San Diego from OC can be a bit hairy. If you want to be there day before the show - you can leave pretty much anytime on Sunday to drive down. The late afternoon early evening you may hit some traffic from about North County (Carlsbad area) down to the Del Mar at 805 and 5 interchange (weekenders coming home). If you leave the day of the show I strongly suggest you leave about mid-morning or noon. You should beat most of the rush hour traffic (luckily you will be going against traffic - most everyone is heading north). You really do want to hit San Diego (Del Mar all the way to Sports Arena Blvd. exit) around 4:30ish/5:00 as this begins the evening commute home. It can get pretty hellish and you really don't want to be all stressed out trying to get to the venue.

If you want to stay in San Diego and near the arena I would look at Point Loma. Its a great place and its only a few minutes away. Sports Arena area is a bit sketchy. The Cabrillo Inn on Rosecrans usually has pretty decent rates or the Best Western on Harbor Blvd. (all Point Loma). This way you will be approaching the Arena from the opposite direction (everyone else will be coming from the 5) so getting in and out should be fairly easy.

If you have any questions you can email winnsail@yahoo.com.

Good luck

Last edited:
whackjester said:
The San Diego area is expensive to stay in, but I would suggest it. Unless you get up really early the day of the concert to drive from OC to San Diego, you will be stuck in traffic for a while. There's a lot of construction going on on the 805 just outside the city, which makes traffic worse. If you're getting in a few days earlier, stay in the OC until the night before the concert. The night before the concert, get a room just outside of San Diego. Make sure that you call ahead for reservations. Unless you stay at a roach motel, the cheapest place I've found (at least when I looked) was the Holiday Inn near Jack Murphy stadium. You don't want to have to drive from the OC to San Diego the night of the concert, especially being from Utah. The traffic will get to you.

:lol: You must be a long time resident you still call the stadium Jack Murphy -- I'm always doing that and confuses people to no end! LOL

Jack Murphy is now called Qualcomm Stadium :)

Here's a couple of other options for loding in SD.

Point Loma has some reasonable rates. Its just about 10 minutes from the Sports Arena and you would be going against traffic (most of the traffic would be coming in from the 5 freeway or the back way from Mission Bay) so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Anyway here's a link to the Vagabond Hotel http://www.vagabondinn.com/reservation.asp . Its not a Hilton but its clean (or it use to be) and Point Loma is a safe place to walk around - lots of eating options. Cabrillo Motor Inn on Rosecrans pretty cheap and decent, also in PL. Before I had moved to Point Loma (now in Seattle) we stayed at these hotels when we were there for regettas.

Regarding the Boys. I'm sure they will go back to LA for the night. If not probably would go to either La Jolla or Del Mar but doubt it.

Check hostels everyone.

They are cheap, and you can book private rooms, plus meet travelers. They are cooler than hotels anyway. This is a "road trip," not just a U2 show. It's the journey, and the destination. Consider hostels people. hell, we can even fill one full of U2 fans.

Back
Top Bottom