Dec. 19, Rose Garden in Portland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go, some info my sister sent me that I've shared...she lives there.

OK This is from my sister....you asked about where the Rose Garden Box office is and about stuff to do around your hotel:

Okay. got the info on the box office. It's located on the North side of the Rose Quarter, near the parking garages. Here is the map:

http://www.rosequarter.com/200/Directions.asp

Click to enlarge the image & use the magnifying thing - there is a red dot on the map between the Rose Garden Arena and the Memorial Coliseum - that's the box office. I suggest parking in the Garden Garage, they have handicapped parking in there.

Near the Red Lion is Lloyd Center (http://www.lloydcentermall.com/) which has movie theaters, an ice rink, and lots of stores. I think what we will do is go to Stanford's before the show and have s! omething to eat there.
http://www.stanfords.com/index.cfm?...play&pageid=120

I believe the closest one to the Rose Garden is the Holiday Inn - that
is the first one I saw - they are all pretty much in the same vicinity
except for the Red Lion which is a few more blocks east.

Here is the info I found. I drove by today so I could check out nearby
hotels. I don't know how many nights they are staying or # rooms they
need, but here are links to the hotel locations:

Courtyard Marriott:
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=PDXCL

Holiday Inn Convention Center:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/pdxne?irs=y

Rose Garden Arena 3 blocks (0.1 MI / 0.16 KM )

Shilo Inn Convention Center:
http://www.shiloinns.com/Oregon/pdxconvcenter.html

Red Lion Convention Center:
http://redlion.rdln.com/HotelLocator/HotelOverview.aspx?metaID=38

I hope this helps - let me know what other info they may need. The
convention center is one Max stop from the Rose Garden - about 3 blocks
walking distance.

Hey all,
When is everyone arriving? I am trying to figure out whether to come in on Saturday or Sunday. Oy vey mama I am so confused:huh: !

And also where is everyone staying? What hotels? I want to try and stay somewhere where others are at since I am coming in by myself...

I think a bunch are at the Courtyard Marriott and with the crap icy weather around the country it might be better to shoot for arriving Sat rather than Sunday.

ok... got my reservations for the hotel and flight...PHEW!!! :huh: what a pain in the arse!!!!!!!!!! It's a long story!

I am coming in on Sunday, Dec.18th.. Arrive around 2pm. Staying at the: Holiday Inn Portland Downtown
1441 NE 2ND AVENUE
Portland OR 97232

It's only 3 blocks from the Rose Garden...And they have free aiport shuttle service! woohoo! I need that..

Anyone have ETS GAs for this show??? I do and want to know who else does so maybe we can go together to pick up our GAs. I know the Pub isn't that close and is on the other side of the river. So maybe we can go in on a cab or something? Any suggestions..

You can PM me or email me at: Liams_mom@yahoo.com

One more week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

Carek1230 said:
Hey Hope I get to bump into you this time, Amy!
Are you referring the the ATU2 gig on Sat night
at Kells? I am gonna be there!

no I am referring to picking up my ETS GA ticket day of show at Kells. Was hoping maybe someone else had one too and we could go together to pick them up. I know the Pub is on the other side of the river so we can't just walk over. Think we are gonna need a cab to get there. I believe that ETS will transport us back to the venue but they don't pick up that is all.

And yes I plan on bumping into you silly! Jeez I have your cell of course so I will definitely call you when I get into town on Sunday ok?

I have an odd GA-line etiquette question for you guys.

I'm playing things by ear now, and might even still be playing things by ear the day of the show. Does this scenario sound reasonable?

I get in line early with a friend, and we get our hands numbered. This friend, however, does not have GA, she just wants to hang out with me, maybe meet some U2 fans. My concert buddy, who has GA, isn't arriving until later in the day.

Is it fair and reasonable to have my GA concert buddy take the spot of my non-GA friend, who would then leave the line, thus giving him her number?

To me, it sounds fair, because for all the people lined up and numbered behind us, there is no change - they still have the same numbers and places. I know it'll look fishy to anyone I don't explain it to, but what do you guys think?

corianderstem said:

I'm playing things by ear now, and might even still be playing things by ear the day of the show. Does this scenario sound reasonable?

I get in line early with a friend, and we get our hands numbered. This friend, however, does not have GA, she just wants to hang out with me, maybe meet some U2 fans. My concert buddy, who has GA, isn't arriving until later in the day.

Is it fair and reasonable to have my GA concert buddy take the spot of my non-GA friend, who would then leave the line, thus giving him her number?

To me, it sounds fair, because for all the people lined up and numbered behind us, there is no change - they still have the same numbers and places. I know it'll look fishy to anyone I don't explain it to, but what do you guys think?

I've seen this done at a couple of venues and no one had a problem with it -- you have a very nice friend!

corianderstem said:

What you should do is when you get to the line in the morning or whenever give the person with the list(at front of GA line) of names and sharpie the name of the person that is coming later that has the GA ticket. I have seen this done everytime (in fact did it myself for a friend in LA and had absolutely no problem with it).. and i have been to 9 shows 8 being GA. The person that is going to hang with you doesn't need a number and can just hang out no one will mind.

I think doing it this way is a lot easier and less confusing for the people around you. When your friend who has the GA ticket arrives just have them go to the person with the list and give their name and they will write the number on your friend's hand.

So no one nearby minds that someone who wasn't in line all day like them just shows up and has a prime spot in the line?

This is going to sound like a criticism, and it's completely not ... it's just me being a giant worry-wart. :wink: Saving a spot for your friend is okay, as long as you get them on the list? Not viewed like line-cutting?

Ooh, never mind ... I guess you could take my initial scenario and look at it the same way.

Thanks for the help! :up:

see the main concern is that its kosher with the people running the line (i.e. person with list of names and sharpie) cuz they are the ones policing the line for the most part. Now when you get to the line you just tell the people around you that you have a friend coming later and that her or his name is on the list. If you did it where the person who is just coming to hang with you but doesn't have a GA ticket gets the number (also the number is getting written on their hand with a sharpie) then gives their number to the friend arriving later that is more suspect than the other way. Its just more commonplace the way I have mentioned that's all.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
see the main concern is that its kosher with the people running the line (i.e. person with list of names and sharpie) cuz they are the ones policing the line for the most part. Now when you get to the line you just tell the people around you that you have a friend coming later and that her or his name is on the list. If you did it where the person who is just coming to hang with you but doesn't have a GA ticket gets the number (also the number is getting written on their hand with a sharpie) then gives their number to the friend arriving later that is more suspect than the other way. Its just more commonplace the way I have mentioned that's all.

assuming I am one of the people running the line (I expect to be), it would be fine. As long as the suffering is shared by all:wink: A place holder should be OK, as long as it is not a note saying you will be back at this time. In most cases, the place holder should be breathing

Fabulous! I will go with the suggested method, and not my suspect one. Thanks!

But I'll leave my place-holder mannequin in Seattle. :wink:

I'm in Santa Barbara right now, but originally from Oregon and going home for holidays on Tuesday.

What's the deal with the Thank You signs for Portland? Are we still planning on doing this? I'll do it. I know this might sound impractical but what about having signs handed out to everyone in line for the show. The problem with that though is who would do it? You'd need thousands of signs. I like the idea. Especially if the band has no idea. imagine 10 000(maybe more) white Thank You signs. very cool.

I'll pass out signs. I'll print one off and photocopy a crap load. I can steal paper from work. 100 would probably be my limit though. Please let me know if this is actually going to happen becasue I'll participate fully if it's a go. If I make the signs they'll be collector items as they'll be imported from Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada.:laugh:

Oh and this thread is massive so I don't feel like reading it all but I was wondering where is the U2 hangout before/after the show. Where do and will all the fans go. I've never been to Portland so i ahve no clue where the cool places are.

Last edited:
yup, it's still on.. Miroslava would be the best person to talk to about that...

romi said:
yup, it's still on.. Miroslava would be the best person to talk to about that...

Cool. I'll make a wack of signs. I can't really converse with anyone here through PM's becasue I'la cheap member:| I can be e-mailed though. Not sure what the need for that would be but whatever putnam3360@yahoo.ca

To whoever knows: How many people do we actually have making and handing out signs?

Last edited:
If you read backwards in this thread you will see a plethora of folks who are making signs and how many they are making or have made.....thanks for your contribution!

Carek1230 said:
If you read backwards in this thread you will see a plethora of folks who are making signs and how many they are making or have made.....thanks for your contribution!

Thanks Carek1230. I had nothing better to do so I did read back through the thread. Sounds like there should be a good amount of signs. I mean even if 10 people bring 200 signs that's 2000 signs. We should be able to surpass that easy. I wonder how many people have joined in the project from other sites. This is so cool though, it makes me more excited to go to this show and as corny as it sounds I feel excited to be helping in this gesture. I know the band will totally appreaciate it.

I just hope they can see the signs from the stage....you know, the lights and all they can only see so far and things become sort of a blur.......I think those in the elipse especially should all have them and then GA.....and the seats behind and to the sides of the stage....those are the most important areas where the band will see them. :up: I was thinking about this as I Was laying awake in bed last night.

Carek1230 said:
I just hope they can see the signs from the stage....you know, the lights and all they can only see so far and things become sort of a blur.......I think those in the elipse especially should all have them and then GA.....and the seats behind and to the sides of the stage....those are the most important areas where the band will see them. :up: I was thinking about this as I Was laying awake in bed last night.

True but think of this possibility: The band notices the signs and then realise that there are thousands of them. I could almost see Bono asking for the lights to come on. The chances are slim but that's somthing I could see happening. I have agut feeling Portland is gonna be a very special night for fans and band alike. 9 days!!!!!!:ohmy:

Good thought.....for a welcome change we may be hearing Bono saying "Turn the lights ON, Bruce" rather than asking Bruce the lighting guy to turn the lights off as Bono dues during "One" when he asks people to take out their cell phones........Good point indeed so back to the sign photocopying! Spread the word! And I cannot WAIT till Portland! I leave Thursday!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom