7 November 2006 Brisbane QSAC Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chewbacca

The Fly
Brisbane Australia - Pre Concert Party

Now that Australia has finally been given confirmation that the Vertigo Tour will come here next year,

Hands up all people who want to attend a pre concert party in Brisbane?

Chewie.

I'll try to be there. Brisbane may be the "take family and friends" show for me though, so I don't know if I'll necessarily have any time for any other meetups.

Well, if there's going to be a decent crowd, I may be in. :hmm:

How would we plan this for those of us who go GA and want to queue all day?

Well, the show's going to be at the Queensland Sports And Athletics Centre, which I take is ANZ Stadium. I've never been there before myself. Is it near any railway stations? And near any good meeting points?

I got this info tonite from someone on one of my U2 message boards...passing along the good word...

If anyone's interested, there's some serious rumours on U2Australia at
the moment. Sydney date's have been locked in apparently for March 30
and/or 31. Melbourne's are March 25 and 26 (that's a huge weekend in
Melbourne - for those that don't know, that's the date's for the final
of the Decathlon, 100m men's and women's sprint and the closing ceremony
for the Commonwealth Games - the Ausies usually clean up at those games
as we only have to compete with the member nations of the Commonwealth)
It'd be a real shitter (sorry for the swearing) if you'd bought tickets
to the closing not knowing U2 where playing and that you where wanting
to see them now wouldn't it! If anyone's asking why that's the date -
there's a bit of a story behind it. As the venue (Telstra Dome) is
being used for some of the events of the Commonwealth Games, they
couldn't get in there any earlier. The following weekend is the start
of the AFL season and the ground's required for that. This apparently
is the only weekend they have that fits the schedule and is available.

Brisbane I heard a rumour is March 22 but is not definite. Only one
date for us too, yet they promised us two initially so I'm a little bit
stressed about getting tickets! Still unsure what sort of format
they're using up here as they're going with the European setup for
Sydney and Melbourne. There's only one venue in Brisbane they can use
if they go that way - ANZ Stadium (where they played for ZOO TV and
POPMART), and recently there's been some serious sound restrictions
placed on that venue due to residential increases in the area, so it's
going to be very interesting. In some ways it would be sensational if
they played at Suncorp Stadium (this is the newest stadium in Brisbane
and was the host of the Rugby World Cup Games in 2003). I also hope
they play the Entertainment Centre and give us Brisbanites the arena
format.

They come here straight from New Zealand (they play Auckland for St
Pat's day as Joe O'Hearli-what's-it (I can never spell his name)
mentioned recently. Apparently official dates are being released this
coming week and ticket sales are scheduled for December 5 - what a great
time of year to have to find an extra $150 for a ticket yes that's also
the quoted price for tickets. I'm not complaining, I'm just relieved
that we're finally seeing them. 8 years is a long time to be sober from
a U2 gig I can tell you!

is the staduim near transport?
does anyone know how big it is?
cause i think im going to go to Brisbane just for the concert and i dont really know my way around the place
any info would be great

Oh, i am interested in meeting up before/after the concert too!

i think it will be great! im so excited

i have got my tickets....
and by the sounds of things i was lucky....
but i missed out on sydney tickets... at least i am seeing them

I have my ticklets, there'll be heaps of transport me thinks.
there was last time!

jessi-ma-ca said:
is the staduim near transport?
does anyone know how big it is?
cause i think im going to go to Brisbane just for the concert and i dont really know my way around the place
any info would be great

Oh, i am interested in meeting up before/after the concert too!

i think it will be great! im so excited

you can catch a train to a station near the stadium. from there, a shuttle bus will take you to the stadium.

the easier option would be the special bus service that will run from the city centre (usually the bus station under the queen st mall) to the stadium. for the 1993 and 1998 shows, they had regular buses out to the venue and back again.

i hope this will help :)

im sure i will be in some irish pub in the city calming my nerves before the show!!

also after!

thanks for the tips bono_man, i am actually a sydney gal, and i am only now feeling a little daunted by going to brisbane, where i know no one and nothing.... i have no idea how to get arround, and importainty where to go!!!

any notable pubs i should visit, and drag my best friend to while where up there??

no worries. if you are a sydney girl im sure you'll be fine!! brisbane is pretty small compared to sydney.

o'malley's irish pub in the mall is pretty good. i'd stay stick with irish pubs to stay in the spirit!! :wink:

I'm not sure if this is much use any more, I think they have renovated the ANZ stadium since then. But this is how it was looking on the afternoon I was waiting for the greatest show on earth to begin. That photo is taken from the eastern stand
U2-anz.jpg

and this was something from my night of nights POPMART :heart: :heart: as one.
brispopmart98.jpg

I don't expect anything as wonderful as that to happen again. As Bono man said they usually run a free shuttle bus from the City and back for U2 concert ticket holders. Because my friend forgot the tickets and we had to hop off the aforementioned bus, we caught a taxi to the stadium and it didn't cost all that much. We also discovered there is a Sportsman Bar at the stadium and they had a jazz band playing before the U2 concert started.
I myself am partial to Gilhooley's in Brisbane City. They claim to be the oldest Irish pub in Australia. It's not very big so I imagine it will be jam-packed with U2 in town. There is now a Gilhooley's pub in a town near where I live . I love the place, but I am going to have to find the owner and tell him he MUST set up a U2 tribute section. I looked high and low through all the photos and words of wisdom they have on display there and I could find no mention of U2.

I missed out on Sydney tickets too jessi. We have to be philosophical eh? at least we have Brisbane tickets. But if I let my mind drift back to what happened I still burst into tears.
A curse on all the greedy scalpers , may their warts grow large.

Brisbane or bust musiclovers :)

ZZZZHappyBonoFrog.jpg

Great Zoo TV Pic!! I have been looking for ANYTHING to do with that amazing show and there isnt too much around. That picture brought back lots of memories!

I was also thinking about getting in contact with a couple of Irish Bars in Brissie. I reckon they should continue their St Patricks Day celebrations through a few more days to incorporate March 21st.

U2 is an Irish icon and it would be cool to set up a good Irish atmosphere here for it, what you reckon?

The extended serving of green beer and stuff like that. It would be great to see. Maybe even the Irish Club in Elizabeth St (I think!) would like to help promote St Pats/U2 Week 2006!!

Should we get pro-active on this? It would be pretty cool... :)

St Patrick...no, U2 WEEK. Sounds like a plan bonoman. And according to Bono in "Entropy" u need a plan!
My lovely daughter in law gave me the "U2 Show" book as a Christmas present :drool: I am so blessed to have her in my life. And last night I watched the U2 Go Home DVD.Bravo..what a show!! To top it off I had a vivid U2 dream this morning. They were staying at my mum's house and Adam and I were having an in-depth about ocean pollution.
Good fun...2006 U2 in Oz...AT LAST!

:)

Happy New Year musiclovers

hey all, on this topic.... what happens to us brissy people who plan on lining up the night before, early morning on showday?

cass said:
I'm not sure if this is much use any more, I think they have renovated the ANZ stadium since then. But this is how it was looking on the afternoon I was waiting for the greatest show on earth to begin. That photo is taken from the eastern stand
U2-anz.jpg

and this was something from my night of nights POPMART :heart: :heart: as one.
brispopmart98.jpg

I don't expect anything as wonderful as that to happen again. As Bono man said they usually run a free shuttle bus from the City and back for U2 concert ticket holders. Because my friend forgot the tickets and we had to hop off the aforementioned bus, we caught a taxi to the stadium and it didn't cost all that much. We also discovered there is a Sportsman Bar at the stadium and they had a jazz band playing before the U2 concert started.
I myself am partial to Gilhooley's in Brisbane City. They claim to be the oldest Irish pub in Australia. It's not very big so I imagine it will be jam-packed with U2 in town. There is now a Gilhooley's pub in a town near where I live . I love the place, but I am going to have to find the owner and tell him he MUST set up a U2 tribute section. I looked high and low through all the photos and words of wisdom they have on display there and I could find no mention of U2.

I missed out on Sydney tickets too jessi. We have to be philosophical eh? at least we have Brisbane tickets. But if I let my mind drift back to what happened I still burst into tears.
A curse on all the greedy scalpers , may their warts grow large.

Brisbane or bust musiclovers :)

ZZZZHappyBonoFrog.jpg

could you re-upload those pics? id like to see them :D

hey all,

my wife was given a newspaper article (i dont know where from) and it had a pic of bono spitting water. the caption hinted that the band would be staying at the sofitel here in brisbane.

i didnt even know that was a nice hotel! maybe they are touring australia on the cheap. :wink:

back to the st pats thing: what irish bars do we have that could join in on the U2 fun?

* Dooley's - The Valley
* Gilhooley's - City
* Irish Murphy's - City
* O'Malley's - City

is that it for the city/valley ones?

Hey again,

I emailed the Irish Bars listed above last week and received a response from Irish Murphy's in the city. They told me they are planning to incorporate the U2 show into the planning for St Pats day and asked for some of my ideas.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions?

I said:

* Serving of green beer until Tuesday
* U2 trivia night (on Sunday perhaps)
* U2 cover bands/karokee
* Screening of U2 live DVDs on big screen
* Getting together with the city's other Irish bars for an event.

I couldn't think of anything else. Ideas?

bono_man said:
Great Zoo TV Pic!! I have been looking for ANYTHING to do with that amazing show and there isnt too much around. That picture brought back lots of memories!

I have the entire 1998 Brisbane Concert On cd.

And lots of pics.

bono_man said:
hey all,

my wife was given a newspaper article (i dont know where from) and it had a pic of bono spitting water. the caption hinted that the band would be staying at the sofitel here in brisbane.

i didnt even know that was a nice hotel! maybe they are touring australia on the cheap. :wink:

AS far as I know, they always stay ay the Marriot??

I'll see what I can find out from some insiders !!

WHAT ABOUT THE NIGHT BEFORE - 20th???

am in town from sydney and we seriously need to party to u2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone keen?????????

Back
Top Bottom