Why I am pissed about Philly!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevashn_hj

Acrobat
Ok so before I rant, the show itself ROCKED!!!!!! It was amazing. I have equally loved each U2 show I have ever seen.

Onto my rant. I got to philly with two single tickets and a phone number for a guy trading me two seats together (BTW, thanks for the offer Jim). I get to the Wac center and had to find a rest room. Went to the Box office for directions. While there I asked if any tickets had opened up. The lady said they did but she regretted to inform me that all they had left were GA's. OH DARN. Hehehe. SO I picked up 2 GA's. I called my contact who was trading to inform him that I had picked up 2 GA's. He was cool because he was doing me a favor and was planning on selling either his two together or my two singles anyway as he had scored better seats himself. Anyway, I proceeded outside and approached a police officer to enquire about the rules of Pennsylvania as it regards to selling tickets. He stated that you cannot sell (for anyprice even, like I was, below face value) if you are on the arena property. He advised me to go outside the gate to the main road and try to sell there. Ok no problems (however I think it is stupid to not allow you to sell for below face value at the arena, but oh well). I go out and am immediatly approached by some rather sketchy characters to enquire if I am selling tickets. I said YES. He asked how much I wanted. I said $200 for the pair (keep in mind that one ticket was a $160 face and the other $95 face). He said that it was too much. I said, ok how about $150. (Now I am not used to selling at a venue and am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this). ANyway he paid me and I was happy.

Ok skip to inside the arena. I get down to the floor after not getting scanned into the elipse. My wife and I decide to go upstairs for a much inflated soda and sandwich. I go to pay and the lady informs me that my $50 bill that I am paying with is counterfeit. Ok I am pissed at this point. I am worried that she is going to call the cops on me for passing counterfeit money. However she seems to understand my missfortune. I ask her to check the $100 that the guy gave me as well and she states that it indeed is fake as well. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Anyway, kinda put a damper on the night. I was pissed and just outright felt taken advantage of. Anyway we get back to the floor and watch KOL from the tip of the elipse (Well about 5 feet back from the tip). Personally I thought they were horrible. But I was not in a good state of mind. Anyway after getting pushed and shoved around a bunch, my wife and I decide to retire to the back of the floor (Which btw, is a wonderful place to be. Well it is wonderful if you dont haave the fortune of being right on the rail or inside the ellipse.) ANyway I am just misserable at this point and feeling like it was not even worth the trip to go to the show (5 hour drive to get there, then get screwed, listen to a shitty opening band, get pushed and shoved). However, once U2 hit the stage, all was better, I remembered exactly why I was there. And let me state again that the back of the floor is great. I mean if you end up with just a few people in front of you outside of the ellipse, your view kinda sucks anyway, so being in the back of the floor was great. Room to move, room to dance, get a great view of hte effects. It was wonderful.

Anyway, just my little rant. I do have to say that I dont think I will return to Philly for a show again. I have allready sold my ticket for next sunday's show and I am getting ready to sell my 2 GA's for 10/16. I will stick with DC. :D

Ayway, take care folks. Oh yeah, a couple of shout outs to a few people that I met. Daniel from NYC by way of Australia, Great meeting you. I hope you enjoyed the show. I hope you enjoy the rest of the tour. I hope to catch up again. If youa re in DC on the 20th let me know and I would love to hang again. Allen and Amy from Wilmington. I really enjoyed talking to you on the floor. Good luck on your retirement. I hope all goes well for you and I hope you all enjoyed the show.

Ok I am done.

Back to work

Elevashn

Judah said:
Man. You have my sympathy.

I can't believe that guy had the gonads to say $200 was too much. All part of the scam, i guess.

May he burn in hell for taking advantage of you and U2.

Well the thing I thought about was, shit if he is paying with counterfeit money, why bargain at all? I mean, did he just have short supply of fake money?

I actually heard about the counterfeit fiasco when I was there. That really sucks that it happened to you. Sorry to hear that :( Hope your next experience is much better!

bombergirl1978 said:
I actually heard about the counterfeit fiasco when I was there. That really sucks that it happened to you. Sorry to hear that :( Hope your next experience is much better!

Wow, I was the talk of Philly. Hehehe. I can truly say that the concert was amazing because I lost track of being pissed off as soon as I saw the spotlight hit Bono at the tip of the ellipse to start COBL.

The bad thing is that I only wanted to recoup the money I just spent on GA's. But then again, I spent $600 per ticket to have shitty nosebleeds for ZooTV Hampton. :D SO I guess dropping $300 plus $100 and getting on the floor is not that bad. Hehehe. Oh yeah, my camera sucked too so I was pissed about that, but I picked up some great photos from other fans that were there.

Oh yeah, I was going to record the show too, but when I was leaving the house I could not locate my mic's. Found out yesterday that my step-daughter thought they were headphones and took them with her to her dad's house. Funny, she couldn't figure out why they would not play her Avril Levine CD. I told her it was because they were special headphones that filter out crap bands. :D hehehehe.

Anyway, such is life.

Elevashn

You should go to the Philly show next weekend and buy tickets from scalpers with the fake money they gave you

I stood toward the back of the floor for Elevation tour. I loved it. Lots of room back there, they could sell a lot more floor tickets if they wanted to. It was pretty much just me back there, dancing with my badself.

Last edited:
DanB said:
I stood toward the back of the floor for Elevation tour. I loved it. Lots of room back there, they could sell a lot more floor tickets if they wanted to. It was pretty much just me back there, dancing with my badself.

Oh that was you?

Hehehe just kidding. Yeah I loved the back of the floor. Lots of room to move. It was great.

Getting screwed was not, but it was great back there

Elevashn

i guess the take away is that if you're selling tickets, keep the seat numbers of tix you're selling... you could have dragged security over there to him in a heartbeat.

elevashn_hj said:
And let me state again that the back of the floor is great. I mean if you end up with just a few people in front of you outside of the ellipse, your view kinda sucks anyway, so being in the back of the floor was great. Room to move, room to dance, get a great view of hte effects. It was wonderful.

I learned this the hard way too. It was my first time with GAs, we drove up from NoVa, and were on the right side along the side railing. It sucked; tons of drunk, pushy assholes falling on me and jabbing me with their elbows all night. We didn't realize until we started to leave how much better it was at the back of the floor. I almost cried when I realized how much of the show I wasted getting hurt and pushed around.

I'm sorry about your counterfit ripoff, that really sucks. I'd have told a cop about it.

Looking forward to DC this fall!

Ugh, thats terrible, I'm so sorry! Scalpers just screw us all.

If you don't already have takers, I'd be interested in buying your 10/16 GAs. Email me at summergirlkristi@yahoo.com if you want to discuss. I promise my cash/check/credit card is legit.

Re: Re: Why I am pissed about Philly!!!!!

Moneypenny said:

I learned this the hard way too. It was my first time with GAs, we drove up from NoVa, and were on the right side along the side railing. It sucked; tons of drunk, pushy assholes falling on me and jabbing me with their elbows all night. We didn't realize until we started to leave how much better it was at the back of the floor. I almost cried when I realized how much of the show I wasted getting hurt and pushed around.

I'm sorry about your counterfit ripoff, that really sucks. I'd have told a cop about it.

Looking forward to DC this fall!

First of all how did you like the traffic on 95? Hehehe. As for the drunks and what not, they do ruin a show. This is the first time I was on the floor but not inside the heart/ellipse. Durring Elevation, I was in the heart 2 times, durring Popmart, I was 2nd Row right by the Catwalk at RFK, but those were reserved seats. Anyway, for DC this fall, I will either be in the Ellipse (if the lottery works) or in the back. I am fortunate because I am 6'5" tall. I did not like being close to the tip because a:) I was being knocked around, and b:) Being as tall as I am, I feel very back for the shorter people who stand behind me. So with that said, I am happy being in the Ellipse or just dancing my non-rythmic lilly white butt off on the back of the floor. Plus it is kinda fun to watch Joe O'Hitherly (or however you spell it) and his crew working the board. Anyway, I too am looking forward to DC in the fall.

Elevashn

girlcalledparty said:
Ugh, thats terrible, I'm so sorry! Scalpers just screw us all.

If you don't already have takers, I'd be interested in buying your 10/16 GAs. Email me at summergirlkristi@yahoo.com if you want to discuss. I promise my cash/check/credit card is legit.

Hehehehe, I have never had a bad experiencing buying/selling tickets to Interferencer's. I will email you if my deals that are currently in the works dont pan out.

Elevashn

seems like a bunch of people came up for the show from dc / n.va.

got lucky on the drive back. left the arena at larrys last hit on the drum, in the car and out of the lot in about 4 minutes. we were right behind the bands motorcade getting on 95, and made it to the beltway in 1 hr 35 minutes. hope we're as lucky next sunday.

That sucks. Too bad you couldn't notify security while you were there and have them go right to the jerk's seats. I'm really glad that the concert itself cheered you up, though!

Scalping is a dirty game. Good guy gets ripped off by experienced street hustler. It happens all the time. It has happened to me. And the notion of trying to pass the fake money off on a scalper, while funny, would probably risk getting your teeth kicked in. His bad experience has nothing to do with Philly. That could happen anywhere. My advice is to retire from the ticket resale business -- nice guys finish last.

philly's a nice town and all, but i'm not a fan of how the sketchy areas and the non sketchy areas seem to run into each other... make one wrong turn and you're in an area that you don't neccesarily want to be...

that's why i like new york so much... we keep the sketchy areas seperated by rivers... :wink:

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about your mess. That is so typical of those jerks there. I heard all about the fake money and tickets. I hope cops are hot on the trail next weekend to get these people.:(

If you'd had the seat numbers security wouldn't have found him cuz I bet he sold them to some poor soul and made a fortune. It's happened to me I sold the seat next to me(friend backed out) He gave me a sob story and being naive I sold it for very little. He did not end up sitting next to me at the show some desperate guy who drove 6 hours to get there paid double the value for that seat. Man I hate scalpers:mad:

Re: Re: Re: Why I am pissed about Philly!!!!!

elevashn_hj said:

First of all how did you like the traffic on 95? Hehehe. As for the drunks and what not, they do ruin a show. This is the first time I was on the floor but not inside the heart/ellipse. Durring Elevation, I was in the heart 2 times, durring Popmart, I was 2nd Row right by the Catwalk at RFK, but those were reserved seats. Anyway, for DC this fall, I will either be in the Ellipse (if the lottery works) or in the back. I am fortunate because I am 6'5" tall. I did not like being close to the tip because a:) I was being knocked around, and b:) Being as tall as I am, I feel very back for the shorter people who stand behind me. So with that said, I am happy being in the Ellipse or just dancing my non-rythmic lilly white butt off on the back of the floor. Plus it is kinda fun to watch Joe O'Hitherly (or however you spell it) and his crew working the board. Anyway, I too am looking forward to DC in the fall.

Elevashn

We didn't hit much traffic at all in either direction, actually. We drove up at 3pm and got there at exactly 5:30. We were home before 2am.

I will be at DC1, but up in the stands this time. I'm only 5'1", I don't think GAs are going to be my thing unless I camp out for days and make sure to get a front rail spot. God bless you for thinking of us wee people and moving back. You're a good man!

elevashn_hj

Sorry you had a rotten experience in Philly but what comes around goes around. I think that guy will definitely get his in the end! By the way...did you sell the tickets for 10/16 in Philly yet?

Back
Top Bottom